Statman
Years ago

Lemanis officially named Boomers coach

From the BA Twitter feed this morning

@BasketballAus: Today @BasketballAus is proud to announce Andrej Lemanis has been appointed the new @AussieBoomers Head Coach http://t.co/cBREZmI548

Well done and I look forward to seeing what he can do with the team

Topic #31487 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

Yeah nice to hear it officially.

Sad to see him leave the Breakers but thankful for the healthy position he has left the club in for the future.
Thanks for the 3 consecutive titles, thanks for signing Kirk Penney, CJ Bruton, Gary Wilkinson, Cedric Jackson and Darryl Corletto. Thanks for resigning Dillon Boucher and Mika Vukona and for developing Tom Abercrombie, Alex Pledger and Cory Webster into the players they are today. Thanks for building a team that regularly sells out not only the NSEC but also packs out Vector Arena.

Reply #415245 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

After being Boomers assistant coach and racking up an NBL three-peat he was pretty hard to overlook. Let's hope he can do a great job.

Reply #415249 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The right man every way you look at it. Weird that he chose to take on the AIS gig as well though...

Reply #415255 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I think that the centre of excellence job makes sense for the Boomers coach. This way he can have direct contact and impact on the next level down from the Boomers, with the aim to fast track some of the junior guys into the Boomers program. Does anyone know if the centre of excellence role incorporates coaching the U19 team?

Reply #415257 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

Yep. Hard to overlook his credentials.

Reply #415263 | Report this post

BigRed  
Years ago

With his role at the CoE does that now mean Ian Stacker is out of a job? How does this new structure work exactly? Does anyone know?

Reply #415271 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

With the globalisation of the game and top prospects now going to the US for the last year or two of high school and then prep and college, is the AIS becoming a bit redundant?

The one good thing about having Lemanis being there is that he will teach the kids about being competitive, the importance of in-game effort and other aspects of being a pro athlete in general that the AIS doesn't really help guys with.

Reply #415274 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I think it has somewhat Mick, and I think that was reflective when Stacker changed the age group to 15-20 year olds recently. I guess with Lemanis now taking charge, the program may change slightly again, and hopefully be rejuvenated. You would think players would be more willing to go there now knowing that they are under the direction of the Boomers head coach.

Reply #415278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only question I have is Lemanis good at developing junior talent ala Goorjian, Beveridge?

Reply #415287 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Given the amount of talent he has developed out of the Breakers Youth Academy in the past eight years, I would say yes.

Reply #415289 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He did well with Abercrombie, Pledger and Webster.

Reply #415290 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

The AIS is generally pre-college in preperation for U/19's Worlds, not parallel to kids going to college.

Reply #415292 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

alexkrad, Stacker has tried to change that in recent times (see age increased to include 19 and 20 year olds). Not sure how it will alter now under Lemanis. The primary role of the AIS program is to develop players in preparation for participation with the senior national team.

Reply #415298 | Report this post

Cats82  
Years ago

At least, don't have to see his head as often. Winning championships with a loaded team don't make him the right person, bevo should have been. Its not bevos job to put thd ball in the hole. Hope there a few pannel beaters where he is. Good luck

Reply #415309 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Congratulations Lemanis, can't argue with the credentials of someone who racks up three on the trot. Well done.

Hope he can get us some chockies on the international scene.

Reply #415316 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Quote Cats82: "Hope there a few pannel beaters where he is. Good luck"

I agree 100%. Bevo can rightly feel slighted over this.

Reply #415319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Bevo can't. Lemanis has won three consecutive championships, Bevo has one one championship in four years at the Wildcats.

Reply #415323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bevo has also proven himself on the international stage where lemanis hasn't

Reply #415343 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Bevo 'proved' himself at (junior) international level 10 years ago. I don't think he can really hang his hat on just that.

Reply #415348 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Lemanis leaving the Breakers was first article on the sports news tonight,Richard Clarke said the Breakers Coaching position was a 1 horse race and it's looking like Paul Henare may be an Assistant.

Reply #415354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I find it interesting that people claim developing junior talent.

Goorj developed squat. He recruited the best young basketballers in the country. Ask some of them how he 'developed' them.

Reply #415357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone who thinks Bevo should have won the job over Lemanis is either:
a) a member of Bevo's family
b) a one-eyed Perth fan
c) a complete idiot

Reply #415359 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Where was Lemanis born?

Reply #415384 | Report this post

Bball fan  
Years ago

Anon 5359 agree 100%!

Reply #415387 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I don't feel the Breakers were that brilliant a side but they always had belief and I think Lemanis has to be responsible for atleast most of that and if he can bring belief into the Boomers squad and CoE. If he can then I won't have a problem with this decision.

Well done Andrej

Reply #415430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe the Boomers role is considered part time (unlike Opals full-time) hence his need to take on the AIS role also to supplement income. Both Bevo and Andre have the respect of the players so either would have been a suitable choice

Reply #415471 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

The Opals role was offered as a full-time package incorporating both the Opals Head Coach and Head of Centre of Excellence roles.

The Boomers job was offered as part-time, being for the Boomers Head Coach role only. However, the option was presented to incorporate the Head of Centre of Excellence role for the right candidate, thus making it a full-time role.

Reply #415475 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:37 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754