great job thomo.

Reply #36245 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

not just me stephon had as much to do with it as i did

Reply #36246 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Good work. It's refreshing to hear them acknowledge errors. Now let's see if they fix them.

Memo to Bongohead - the boss ain't happy.

Reply #36256 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Well Done Thomo and Stephon - a very interesting read, It seems that they are opening up a little to ideas - lets just hope that they pay them more than just lip service and we an get back to the days where the Sixers were the most sought after ticket in town!

Reply #36258 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

Thanks mate.

The most we can do as fans is put forward our suggestions for the future and hope some changes will be made for the better.

Hopefully the 'Fans Corner' will provide an outlet for fans to have their questions answered in a timely fashion.

It would be great if it was not only limited to questions of management in my opinion.

It would be good if the fans could ask questions of the players, coaches, etc that have been taken from the two forums.

Reply #36267 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

(Mod: This post is not available.)

Reply #36269 | Report this post

Tar Heel  
Years ago

The young player mentioned would have to be Ingles...

Reply #36286 | Report this post

Truth Be Told  
Years ago

Reply #36288 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Truth Be Told, How on earth did we finish 3rd when we didnt make the semis! End of minor round yes we were tied for third but who cares about the placings at the end of the minor round - Just ask Pt Power in 2002 and 2003!

Reply #36291 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Fanatastic work Thomo and Stephon. It's a little dissappointing that at the moment it doesn't look like we will be getting the Lightning or "fellas" as they are called back as pre-game at the dome.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes to implement something like an e-newsletter, as Isaac said it doesn't take long and it's FREE!!!

Great work again lads

Reply #36295 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Statman, the finals are not really relevant when it comes to during-the-season ticket sales. Attendance was down despite the strong performance of the team. It was only other results and the indifference over the last result that really left us in the position we were.

I fear that sales will be sluggish this time around also as the signings process has been fairly haphazard (Smyth delays, then the trouble with Farley's agent, plus the NBL reporting on Cooper's signing, then having to pull the article, etc). Would be interested to see how the sales figures are progressing so far, and what could be done to push them further.

Reply #36312 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Reply #36314 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

Reply #36316 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Can any of Newleys mates confirm that he did get offered a contract from the sixers. My understanding is that he got a phone call from Brett Maher and that was all.

Stacker has even said that he can not believe that Adelaide did not offer him a gig.

Can someone clarify this??

Good work boys good to see some tranparency coming from the front office.

Reply #36317 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Reply #36318 | Report this post

supporter  
Years ago

Newley was offered a position at number 10 and no guarantee of court time. Townsville offered 7 or 8 and guaranteed court time.
Made the decision a fairly easy one I would think.

Reply #36321 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Reply #36326 | Report this post

FMJ  
Years ago

Reply #36327 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

It's not surprising that Newley wasn't guaranteed much court time. Behind Maher and Farley he was never going to get the minutes that he got in Townsville, and Stacker was criticised for not giving him enough time.

I hope Brad Hill get's plenty of minutes, but I think there will be games when he only plays very few.

Reply #36330 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Ah right.... my bad. Who else was there? I must have missed that

Reply #36332 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

Danny Obrien - who runs the Aussie Hoops Program which just won the award for best junior program

and Yvonne Millbank Executive Assistant

Cheers

Reply #36335 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Yvonne and Danny Obrien.

Reply #36336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What was Obrien doing there if he does Aussie Hoops? Why wasn't anyone from the marketing part in it? I thought that the meeting was mostly about the 6ers and them being in touch with fans??

Reply #36340 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

hes was there in hes capacity as a lawyer to advise of certain information given eg contract details where not published in the report

Reply #36349 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

I would still like to see some kind of loyalty bonus for ongoing season ticket holders who have bought tickets year in year out.
As I posted recently, some other clubs give season ticket buyers a discount
eg. 5% (2nd year), 10%(3rd Year) & 15% (4th+ years)
This would at least give us some kind of recognition for buying a season ticket for over a decade.
There are many of us who don't have a need for a family ticket and we have been going to the games for years with friends. We have watched babies of people around us grow up. My friend and I played basketball in the same team when I learnt to play in the 1960's. We have been going to the games since the Apollo days and have made friends with other people like us who have had the same seats for several years.
Even if we don't see each other in the off-season, it's great to catch up with everyone again when the season starts again.
Isn't it time those of us who have supported the team for decades, & continue to support the team were recognised?
Maybe we could qualify for Long Service Discount? ;)

Reply #36357 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

this was brought up to them and it is something they are looking into they didnt give a very specific answer to it but we willl put forward this to them again in our next session with em

Reply #36359 | Report this post

wish I could dunk  
Years ago

Reply #36365 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Reply #36371 | Report this post

Sherlock Holmes  
Years ago

Reply #36398 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

no it wasnt what we wanted to hear we went in there and asked direct questions and got some good and some bad answers but if you choose to believe all that mister boti writes in the paper then you are worse then the person you critise

first time poster maybe you should have posted this uner your normal alias mate

Reply #36399 | Report this post

Sherlock Holmes  
Years ago

Reply #36404 | Report this post

Dr Watson  
Years ago

I agree, all hot air, no actual substance. Vague promises with no time frame. This is the equivalent of producing a budget based on fanciful projections rather than previous year's actuals then factoring in improvement. He has given us his projections, his organisation's actual record speaks for itself.

The last question asks for 3 goals for the coming year: increased ticket sales, greater promotion of the game/communication with the fans and improving the accuracy of reporting in relation to the 36ers.

Read them again. These are results based not process based. I was always taught to concentrate on the process and the results take care of themselves! This is an organisation that is not process driven at all, it is results driven (bad ones at that!), which is why they are always doing things at the last minute and putting out spot fires.

3 alternative process goals would be:

Improve the 36ers game night experience for fans by signing a competitive team, improving amenities, entertainment and dramatically reducing the cost of tickets.

Increase exposure for the team and players with better targeted marketing or 36ers, Lightning and ABA competition.

I have no alternative for his 3rd "goal". It shows he is too worried about criticism that BASA receives. If his organisation did 1 and 2 better (and my alternative for number 3) he would get better press.

Here's my number 3:
Put more resources into and have existing resources work smarter to ensure grass roots and elite junior programs and competitions are run more efficiently!

Reply #36410 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

Reply #36415 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

beat me to it stephon

Reply #36426 | Report this post

Sherlock Holmes  
Years ago

Reply #36431 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I do not agree that the roster is even a primary reason for the reduced crowds. The fans are out there, but many are just frustrated and/or struggling to afford tickets.

A few of the roster might not be big name players, but Adelaide is a knowledgeable crowd as they say.

The last championship team was a pretty weird roster with no really flashy players besides Farley. Sapwell, Nash, Rees and Garrison are about as vanilla as they come. Yet the stadium was full for a few games at least, and the crowds for the finals were fantastic.

Last year, season tickets were at their lowest ever (AFAIK) and the stadium for the solitary finals game wasn't even close to being sold out. An elimination finals game! This was after the team was in the leading pack for most of the season and had a superb home record.

Reply #36447 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

Reply #36448 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reply #36454 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Reply #36456 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Actually Stephon Im loving it - nothing wrong with long posts when they are inteligent! (Same for you Sherlock you make some valid and interesting points)

As far as Boti is concerned think yourself lucky that you have him even when he does seem to go overboard. Up here (Gold Coast) its as if the papers dont know anything about the round orange ball!

Reply #36459 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Oh no EC's turning on management! I think hell is freezing over!

Reply #36468 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

EC there is a definate need for halftime entertainment, how long can you smoke,eat,drink,stretch for without going back to your seat and watching an empty court.

Halftime entertainment is a MUST for the sixers!

Reply #36487 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

Definitely agree Isaac with what you say.

I was obviously against the cap reduction in the first place, and I think a lot of the fans spoke with their wallets when ticket prices didn't drop substantially when the cap did.

I agree that basketball people know who the players are. However, it is the non-basketball people and the casual fans (the ones who go to occasional fans but are no where near as obsessional as us who visit/post on forums).

The basketball people know who Holmes is. However, a lot of people don't.

Back in the day guys like Mark Davis, Al Green, Loggins had a profile equal to or close to that of a Lleyton Hewitt or a Andrew McLeod/Tony Modra in Adelaide.

Everyone knew who Mark Davis was.

Unfortunately I still get asked questions as to how that Crawford guy or little Bruton guy (not CJ but his dad!) are going. Have to explain they retired over a decade ago!

Both the NBL, the 36ers and indeed a lot of the other NBL teams(including past managements) are to blame for problems with marketing.

I mean look at the the participation levels in Victoria (as stated by Sherlock their junior associations are very well regarded) yet Melbourne Tigers had to play in a netball stadium despite having name players like Gaze, Bradtke, Thomas, Tucker, Stiff, etc, etc.

However, I haven't heard anything even close to the negativity coming from us from the Melbourne Tigers.

I guess it still means we have enough ppl in Adelaide who care enough about the 36ers to actually complain in the first place.

Reply #36507 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Stephon,
I have noticed a distinct drop in cleaning over the last 2 seasons. Several times during different games there was no soap in ANY of the dispensers in the ladies loo, not to mention loo paper being non existent.
Maybe men don't notice these kinds of things as much as women, but it is a basic thing that should NOT happen at a high level basketball game.
Also, I have been really sorry that Boti hasn't written his usual page of basketball news in Thursdays paper for a few weeks. It's the one part of the paper I always look for and maybe some people take his comments as 'negative' but I think much of it is very 'toungue in cheek' which I find so funny that it often results in me having a good laugh out loud. I think many people take what he says way too seriously and maybe miss the point and don't take it for what it is ie. very entertaining writing.
What has been written of late is quite boring from my perspective.
Pity Boti is on holidays or whatever. I can't wait till he is back.

Reply #36541 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

Reply #36558 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reply #36563 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

I would like to point out what Stephon said about zoning of tickets is not something I said, but actually reported as told to me at my meeeting with the 36ers admin was going to happen.

In fact they were super keen to tell me about the zoning that had been "approved" by the board the night before.

The very reason they are stating now about why they didnt go ahead "migration" I asked about at the time, and was told they would be hiring extra ushers/security to prevent it.

I would suggest this became a cost factor, and it all got shelved.

Reply #36596 | Report this post

Sherlock Holmes  
Years ago

Reply #36668 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:23 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754