Jack Toft
Years ago

R5 ABL Action

Eagles-Lions @ Wayville Cove ANZAC Day
Women: Playing the part of Johnny Turk today will be the Eagles. As the brave Lionesses launch themselves onto the sands of Wayville, they, like the first wave in 1915, will face a barrage of fire. Like on day 1 of the original ANZAC campaign, it'll be win to the Turks.
Men: But just like the Gallipoli campaign things got interesting as it went on. The men’s game will see some very good action, but just like Gallipoli, the home team will plow down the waves of Lions comes out of the trenches and come out trumps. Forestville by 10.

North - Forestville @ Tin Shed 1
Women: MOTR. The invading Eagle army seeks to win over the happy people of the North. It’s just like any conflict. But an invading army always finds it hard to beat a people fighting on their home turf. Forestville won’t win the hearts and minds of the locals as the Eagles take this one.
Men: This will be the ultimate Cold War and with both sides having nuclear capabilities, the button could be pressed at anytime. Forestville are a cut above the rest and should be able to disarm the rockets. No mushroom cloud at Hillcrest tonight.

South – Mavs @ Tin Shed 2
Women: The Mavettes are set to parachute into Pantherland and launch a full on assault. Panther resistance fighters will fight to defend the jewel in BSA’s crown, but the Mavettes have not gone a bridge too far and will find the resistance yielding quickly.
Men: The invading Mavs fight for control of the Panther’s Death Star. The Mavs looking for the exhaust shaft to drop their bomb. The Panthers should be able to fight them off if they don’t hit the self destruct button.

Sturt – Southern @ Pasadena
Women: Invading Pasadena is like invading Russia. Many have tried, many have failed. Tonight the Tigeresses find themselves in Stalingrad encircled by the Sturt defensive ring. Hungry Sabres to feast on Tiger meat tonight.
Men: Sturt are like US Forces. Southern are like insurgents. They face a formidable well armed foe with limited resources. Sometimes the strongest army gets their buts whipped and the whole world celebrates. The Southern IED’s might be enough to take out the Sturt tanks tonight. Just for the hell of it, Tigers in an upset!

West – Norwood @ Port
Women: The Norwood war machine might need to go into 4WD mode tonight to ride the bumps at the Port, but will still manage to negotiate the sand dunes and storm the beach without Simon breaking into too much of a sweat. The Norwood Blitzkreig continues.
Men: After Gallipoli came the Western Front. Norwood with a good win against the Rockets come up against the seemingly unstoppable Bearcat Army marching to a minor premiership. Like the Western Front, the advantage will swing with each play. West with all the weapons, but what cunning plan will Field Marshall Davidson come up with to snatch victory? General Bell has the upper hand and even from a French Chateau sipping fine champagne should be able to claim this skirmish.

Centrals – Woodville @ Starplex
Women: MOTR for all the wrong reasons. Both teams yet to win and both teams are throwing bricks like a burley trades assistant in between iced coffees. FG% Centrals 28%, Woodville 29%. OK if you’re the red baron dropping bricks while flying over a trench, but you won’t win too many games shooting in the 20’s. Probably not a matter of who will win, but who ill lose.
Men: Both teams are on the rise and I have a good feeling about Woodies this year. I bet Ricey has a fresh kit on hand in the boot of his car just in case Al asks for an emergency. Centrals with an optimism that no-one at the club has seen for a while. Playing the role of renegade Colonel Kurtz tonight is Scott Whitmore. Can Capt Willard (Green) sneak into Cambodia and capture the Colonel to return him back to Woodville? This will be a very entertaining game. I love the smell of napalm and Al Green will call in the support to drop a full load tonight.

Topic #31495 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd hardly call Southern beating Sturt in the men's an upset. Southern have the goods to make a push for the top 5 this year, while Sturt have almost nobody left.

Southern would definitely be favoured to win this one.

Reply #415402 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

You haven't let us down Jack. This must have taken awhile to fit in with ANZAC theme.
Stick with the write-ups instead of conspiracies.
Great read again

Reply #415405 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Yes. I would have like to bring in the Boer War, Singapore and Kokoda but couldn't

There's no conspiracy, the nice men in the black suits explained that to me.

Reply #415408 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

"They" are out there!

Reply #415412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nice write up, but you love sturt and forestville jack!

Reply #415422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Centrals women with 6 points at half time today!

Reply #415425 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I love everyone anon. I am always being accused of favourites though

Reply #415426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well the Lions are roaring at the moment the eagle appears to be down, possibly plucked for feasting or maybe just gouged and fighting back beak and claw

Reply #415427 | Report this post

Freddy  
Years ago

Centrals women only scored 6 pts in the first half. Wow.

Lions men up 15 midway thru the 4th.

Eagles clearly struggling so far this season.

Reply #415429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ex Centrals women should be ashamed by what they did to that club, and the clubs that took those players are equally responsible, karma is a bitch I guess

Reply #415439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully karma come sooner rather than later for those involved.

Reply #415442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basketball isn't an ethical scene so you just do the best you can, who knows one day they may have rules so that recruitment certainty becomes part of the sport.At the moment the ABL resembles a have gun will travel bad western but then they are just copying the NBA who have mastered the 'play for you this season and them the next' model. And Santa please bring us some players who just want to play for the club.

Reply #415443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If clubs looked after their own instead of taking hired guns then it will be better off, west Adelaide are on dangerous ground and their coach will not be able to control the recruits when things get tough

Reply #415444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North women easily over Forestville

Reply #415618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt score over 100 against Tigers!! What the.....

Reply #415625 | Report this post

HP  
Years ago

come finals times in the men it will look strange without Forestville, Norwood and North in the mix.

Unless Petrie signs with Forestville, west men will finish top, and then woodville, centrals and southern all big improvers should make up the top four fifth spot will go to north, feagles or norwood. None that I have seen have been that impressive this season thus far. I know it is along way out but in the men at least the finals landscape is going to be vastly different.

Reply #415632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Geez what's with women's eagles this season? Thought they considered themselves the dream team

Reply #415640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2 players don't make a dream team

Reply #415643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I couldn't understand why Petrie would play ABL....wasn't he on a game to game thing with a sore back this NBL season? Why u wouldn't take the winter off and get back to 100% for the 2014 NBL? Let me think about it, risk it for ABL or rest it for his career & what pays the bills & feeds the family. Real tuff choice

Reply #415650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you will find that Forestville will still be there at the end of the season HP. My predictions are that West will finish top easily, then Woodville 2nd, Forestville 3rd, Then a dogfight for 4th and 5th between Southern, North and Centrals.

I just dont see Centrals keeping the same form against some of the better teams and dont think Norwood has what it takes either.

Reply #415665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice pick on the Southern Men with the upset Jack, many would have scoffed at that call.

Reply #415674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think most would disagree. It's pretty well known that Sturt have been decimated this year by players leaving and will be in the bottom half of the ladder. Most who follow ABL closely would have picked Southern.

Reply #415679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So is that why Southern seemed to have more supporters than us?

Reply #415682 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:10 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754