Pie cart
Years ago

When will sixers announce new coach

Just excited to hear when the sixers will announce the new coach,my gut feeling comes down to two coaches.....Joey Wright or Trevor Gleeson ,and hope Maher get assistant coaching role. Does anyone know when the announcement be made.

Topic #31505 | Report this topic

BigAds  
Years ago

Decision today, announcement.....?

Reply #415507 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Can't wait for the Channel 9 news story. It will be the bookend story at the end of the sports section after the Crows, Power, AFL, Cricket, A-League, Horse Racing, Golf, Swimming, Netball, cane toad racing stories.

Kym Dillon:
"Meanwhile down at Findon, the Adelaide 36ers have appointed Joey Wright on a 3 year performance based contract replacing outgoing coach, Marty Clarke whose tenure saw them collect two wooden spoons. Kate, It seems they have gone with Mr Wright"

(throw to Kate Collins)
Kate Collins
"Everyone's looking for Mr Wright. Coming up after the break Brenton Ragless has all the weekend weather, but first speed camera locations"

Reply #415520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ :)

Reply #415522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why can't they do an Essendon?
Brand new coach (Maher) and an assistant with great credentials like Bomber Thompson.
Should make most people happy?

Reply #415524 | Report this post

KracKa BballiN'  
Years ago

Hope youre right jack...get joey in and gibbo should be a lock.

Reply #415526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why can't they do an Essendon?
Brand new coach (Maher) and an assistant with great credentials like Bomber Thompson.
Should make most people happy?

------------------------------------

Can't afford the peptides?

Reply #415530 | Report this post

Get Real  
Years ago

Hey Pie Cart what a great idea lets get Gleeson who in 7 seasons has not won a title and get Maher who has not coached at all.So where going to accept we won't win a championship still why go away from a losing formula.Melbourne didn't want him Townsville didn't want him so Yeh why don't we take him and put a guy with him who has never coached .Can't we at least have a coach that knows about winning titles cos they have.

Reply #415533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maher is cheapest and most marketable. Getting a coach to satisfy a player is a dangerous option. If Gibbo doesnt want to play for the 6ers on his own merits not worth it. They mad him captain for gods sake and he didnt really lead...

Reply #415534 | Report this post

Pie cart  
Years ago

Get real,maher will be an assistant.i think players know who it is.its one of the two I mentioned.

Reply #415535 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

It would be idiotic to have Maher as head coach... We are yet to see if he can even actually coach. Lets not make the same mistake again... Joey Wright in my estimation would be the best target with Maher as assistant. It isnt really about a Marketable coach, its about an intelligent winning one!

Reply #415537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he gets the job, Wright should be very grateful to Gibbo.

Reply #415538 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I'm assuming nothing was announced today

Reply #415540 | Report this post

Pie cart  
Years ago

Nothing on news maybe Monday .

Reply #415541 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

Get real, townsville did want Gleeson he walked so that he could live in Melbourne to support his wife through cancer treatment.

Reply #415542 | Report this post

Gus  
Years ago

Pie cart how many years did it take Gaze to win a flag? Go for Gleeson

Reply #415544 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Dear Get Real: Gleeson made playoffs 5 years in a row in a regional town. That's nothing to sneeze at. He is a seasoned professional and Adelaide could really benefit from his skills. Doubtful he would move though. Wife is successful in Melbourne and he has just started a business. They're settled so I doubt Adelaide can afford him. Would be interesting to see how Joey went without Groves wallet to buy a team.

Reply #415558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont think Groves owned the Blaze?

Reply #415559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Needs to have proven experience

Reply #415560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Groves owned Brisbane when Wright was coach and they won the title.

Reply #415567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's right, but weve alredy seen how Wright went without Groves.

Reply #415568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It really doesn't matter who coaches Adelaide you will not win the title next year

Reply #415569 | Report this post

Quickie  
Years ago

get a tough coach that will get us into the finals for a change.Joey Wright my choice.Both are proven coaches and have made finals in past.

Reply #415575 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wright went to the finals with the Blaze.

Adelaide would be fine with make playoffs for a change. Don't have to win a championship straight up to get things on track.

Reply #415581 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

joey has the job, lock it in eddie. comes from very reliable source.

Reply #415595 | Report this post

Pie cart  
Years ago

Annoymous...how certain are you?

Reply #415600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

very pie cart.

Reply #415601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Johnson/Schenscher
Petrie/???
Creek/???
Deleon/Daly
Gibson/Cadee

Am I dreaming?

Reply #415602 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Very handy team.

Maybe a Tuesday press conference for maximum impact? Monday is always the weekend AFL wrap up, Tues is a quiet day, Wed is pre-selection speculation, Thurs is selections, Friday is games, Sat is games, Sun is games

Reply #415611 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

wright
maher assistant
gibbo staying

Reply #415613 | Report this post

Pie cart  
Years ago

Annoy is pretty sure of himself ,already selected his team for next season.

Reply #415621 | Report this post

psycho  
Years ago

Well pie cart lets see you team

Reply #415623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pie cart - i am the annon who posted about joey wright. I did not post about team next year.

Reply #415624 | Report this post

Pie cart  
Years ago

Centre schenscher/Petrie
Forward Johnson/ Tall young
SG. Import Maxey of Edwards
PG Ervin/Cadee
Guard Gibson/Daly

Pretty good young team ,good imports with mix will do better than last 3 years.

Reply #415626 | Report this post

Quickie  
Years ago

Nice lineup ,don't worry about anon.

Reply #415628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That aint a Joey Wright lineup, wont be seeing much of Johnson and Schenscher together. One tall and the rest will be speed. Maxey or Edwards would be power forward for Wright.

Reply #415631 | Report this post

eli1  
Years ago

Ive gotta wonder if YouKnowMe is really Marcus Camby in disguise. How could Maher not be a worthwhile candidate or coach? better than the previous crap. Even Ninnis was half decent. But not Gleeson. No way!

Reply #415639 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Marcus Camby has been very quiet for a while

Reply #415659 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Imagine being MC. You went from the head coach of the AIS and probably able to coach in most parts of the world to the NBL.

A title town, strong crowd, reasonable team. You took them to bottom place 3 years in a row. That 8th position in the first year was only because at the last minute, they tried to reinstall the Sydney Kings into the competition.

To think the Kings now play in the finals and the 6ers stayed in the bunker.

So from going from a successful basketball coach to the scrap heap, I am not sure I would be showing my head too much either.

Reply #415667 | Report this post

hogwash  
Years ago

eli1, a lot of 36ers fans have concerns about Maher's ability to coach. What proof do you have that he can coach? A successful playing career is completely irrelevant to coaching. Maher needs to spend time as an assistant coach first.

Reply #415680 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

The announcement should be today. It won't be gleeson

Reply #415800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hope it's Joey Wright because he's the best man for the job, not to keep a player who isn't a match winner anyway.

Reply #415809 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

hogwash, Phil Smyth did alright as coach.

Reply #415812 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:05 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754