Anonymous
Years ago

SEABL round 6

I have enjoyed the posts on seabl over the last couple of weeks, would like to hear peoples comments on this round

Pioneers split there Tassie road double after going down to Hobart on friday night they bounced back strongly to easily account for NW Tasmania on Saturday night. I say easily even though it was a 3 point final margin, they were up by 22 with about 5 and half to play.

I noticed Massingale didnt play for Knox this round, any news on why?

Topic #31515 | Report this topic

HO  
Years ago

anon's shit me #31515, register a name so we know who we are talking to...

Reply #415707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for your thoughts on the round Hoe.
CJ is apparently injured. Bandits are 2nd bootm and the Cobras need to find a new coach. Rangers lose another one. Chargers have just won 3 straight arresting their slide. Spectres march on. Miners just ok. Gunners same. All good.
Spartans despite recent signings bottom.

Reply #415710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sabres look good with new import and crosswell. Geelong keep rolling. Ballarat getting a dose of reality. Canberra let one slip against Frankston. Dandenong losing to Kilsyth the upset of the round.

Reply #415717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Supercats traveled to Brisbane with only 7 players (no Owuso, Herbert or Friend); down by as many as 14pts a couple of times in the 2nd quarter but fought back to grind out a 2pt win. Massive effort from the 7 guys who took to the court, and a gutsy effort to walk away with the win.

Reply #415718 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Sandy look pretty good with the second import...(No Conn after halftime probably only reason they won thou!)

CJ out with Knee/Quad issue not sure for how long but knox will struggle without him!

Good win by Frankston to steady the ship, Canberra will be kicking themselves thou!

Kilsyth pick up second win for the season...I agree with above thou think it might be the last season for Wallace time for a new voice and change of direction. (Might even move 1/2 long term players on and start fresh!)

Bendigo starting to find some form and looko alot better now Garlepp has returned to the team.

Mt Gambier had a good weekend spliting the Tassie trip...interested to get peoples thought on Robinson who hasn't really done mush since Round 1..i know he is just backing up Allen but is there better options?

Reply #415736 | Report this post

The Standing One  
Years ago

A few harsh words were said about Ben Allen in a post about a week ago. He backed these comments up with an average of 17.5pts and 10.5reb in the Tasmania double header, they are some pretty good stats in the Tassie double header.

Reply #415740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Robinson = Gone!

The Pioneers need to find a better big/import. His defense is alright but he keeps fouling (has fouled out twice in nine games and been on 4 fouls in 4 games). Offensively he has been poor scorer since the NBL guys have been in the team. Not rebounding enough only averaging 6.9rebs a game, which statistically isn't good enough for a SEABL import. Only been averaging 25 minutes per game and only 21 minutes per game if you take out game 1 and 2.

These aren't the greatest stats for a SEABL import. Maybe this is what the coach wants him doing with the calibre of players the Pioneers have, but I highly doubt this is the case.

Reply #415742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How did the Bandits manage to beat the Miners after they struggled to score against the Gunners? I wonder if the Miners using just 8 players & only 7 with decent minutes had something to do with it.

South definitely looking the weaker conference this year.

Reply #415744 | Report this post

Phobos 92  
Years ago

Looks like every game was an upset result except for the Geelong win and they only got home by 2 points.

Reply #415745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Allen had a great 12 pointfirst quarter and then his scoring output declined scoring only 19 for the full game. Not good enough. Far from looking like a recently returned NBL player he looked way out of shape. NO wonder the Townsville supporters are crying. Their import with a heavily strapped knee,is OK but with the level of competion being to high this year there is probably better about.

Reply #415749 | Report this post

The Standing One  
Years ago

@Above Anonymus

Allen scored 19 points for the game in a team that scored 81 for the game, that is 23% of points. That is a relatively good output in my books. Not great but pretty good.

The Pioneers require guys averaging 15 points a game not guys averaging 30, that is what needs to happen for the Pioneers to be a successful.

Reply #415754 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

6 Rounds in could be a few imports on the chopping block over the coming weeks.

A few off the top of my head not really getting the job done this season are:

Zach Henifin - Brisbane
Plays a role but they need an import who can score

Lester Strong - Knox
Poor return this year looks dis-interested

Gonzaga - Nunawading
Inconsistant, gets into foul trouble regularly.

Robinson - Mount Gambier
As above

Lewis - Dandy
Production really dropped off and becoming inconsistant much like Dandy's form itself.

Bridgewater - Kilsyth
Terrible import selection not contributing at all, surely they could get a better option than him

Reply #415770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vann at Albury would have to be a concern too. He can score but he can't play the point. I hear he played shooting guard on the weekend with Payne playing point guard most of the time. Definitely only half the player that Ferguson is.

Reply #415776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From watching the games on the weekend I think Gonzaga is a good player. He has improved since last season. Knox should def look to bring someone in to replace Lester. He just isn't getting it done and does not look like he will.

Reply #415778 | Report this post

bethdavis10  
Years ago

Bridgewater is due to get his Australian citizenship in two weeks. Look for Kilsyth to bring in another import after that.

Reply #415821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Give it 3 weeks and Kilsyth's season might be done before they can get another import in the way they're going, might be a waste of money.

Reply #415822 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

@Anon i agree season will be done in 2/3 weeks at the current rate.

Gonzaga can play but in five out of 7 games has recorded 4 fouls & fouled out once.

You can see by his numbers he'd play more if he could get out of foul trouble....hell he fouled out in 7 mins on Sunday which was the follow up to 4 fouls in 14 mins against knox!

Teams have worked him and Robinson out and just go at them to keep them off the floor as both haven't adjusted to the SEABL refs

Reply #415836 | Report this post

Phobos 92  
Years ago

Re:Bridgewater - Kilsyth
Terrible import selection not contributing at all, surely they could get a better option than him

He wouldn't really be on much of a salary. No chance of being cut.

Sacking an import is a big call, especially when looking to get a replacment cleared and ready with a short turnaround and intergrated into the team and learn the offense and defensive schemes. In a even league if you get a better player it won't always translate to wins right away.

Sackings at this level from my exp are usually either off the court related or attitude related (sometimes towards the end of the season results related once playoff possibilites have ended).

Robinson at Mount Gambier is good. He is a rim protector and allows the perimiter players to be aggressive knowing they have someone behind them to help. He also makes up for a lot of Allen's weakness on that end so he can concentrate on offense.

Reply #415841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The new Sandringham import is impressive!!

Reply #415847 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

@ Phobos - I agree sackings at this level are hard outside of injury...That said someimtes you just need to make a move anad bite the bullet...if you wait to long you'll miss the finals boat.

Also agree with Bridgewater...the guy was uneffective at Big V level over the last 3 years against undersized 4/5 men....whoever recruited him needs to have a long hard look at themselves!

Reply #415848 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Anyone know what happened to the Ex-AFL football player import at Sandy?

Reply #415849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bridgewater couldnt cut it last time he played seabl for them. What was wallace thinking. It should cost him his job.

Reply #415865 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Sandy cut there 2nd import before the start of the season as they needed a shooting guard rather than 2 bigs.

Reply #415883 | Report this post

The Standing One  
Years ago

John Pichon at Sandringham has been fantastic. That was a bad loss for Geelong but he has been great at Sandy. I would say that Pichon has been the best import so far this season in the SEABL.

Reply #415904 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Pichon has been great...he just works hard everynight and has a great attitude!

Reply #415921 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I believe you will find the success rate of imports brought to Geelong among the best in this country at SEABL level, past and present imports!

The staff at the Supercats have a very strong track record and do their due dilligance analysis at a very high level, so not surprised about Pichon.

Our current imports at Geelong are also right up there again this season I think you will find...

Reply #415924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Polk in Hobart had an outstanding game last weekend and is one of the best imports around atm.

Reply #415944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bridgewater is by far on the least amount of money for an import. He is basically playing for nothing - he has a job already.

He must be close to being naturalised if he isnt already.

Reply #415956 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

@Anon - Why did Kilsyth pick Brad up then? He might be cheap but why not get the two standard imports? Are they trying to save cash?

Reply #415960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wallys days are over.

Reply #415978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wallace has not recruited well for at least 4 years, some of the imports they've had have been baffling selections.

Reply #415991 | Report this post

Green98  
Years ago

I watched Ballarat in the early games and couldnt believe how well they played as a team only being together a short time, I watched them on the weekend and couldnt believe this is the same side,from what I have seen the inclusions of the NBL players has taken away the amount of ball the imports are receiving,
and the side doesnt seem to be playing as a team like they were. Matt Hanson is one of the best imports in the comp- he needs the ball in his hands- all the stats are there to show why they have lost 4 games straight- compared to being on top of the south pool 3 weeks ago.

Reply #416016 | Report this post

bethdavis10  
Years ago

My thoughts on Round 6 up now at AndTheFoul.net - http://andthefoul.net/archives/5985

Reply #416018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its a bit hard for Wallace to sack himself. Bit like Frankston when Runchey was there. Underperformed considering size of Kilsyth as a club.

Reply #416079 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Wallace finishes shortly as GM so it will be interesting to see what the board does moving forward.Wallace is very highly thought of at Kilsyth.

Reply #416090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wallace's biggest fan is the GM, just ask him.

Reply #416102 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Wallace no longer GM and two pretty poor seasons with baffling recruitment.

Will be interesting to see which way Kilsyth go after this year...will they go young and just rebuild from scratch with a couple of good imports & the ex Kilsyth college returnees (A couple of quality guys) or keep this core group again and try and reinvent the wheel.

Reply #416140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot of Wallace's longevity at Kilsyth has come from the security the GM role has given him, which he has done very well.
They probably needed a coaching change 2 years ago, but yes, now that that security is gone id say the writing is on the wall there.
Kilsyth will suffer more from losing his as GM than as coach.

Reply #416144 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

No dispute that he did a great job in the GM position....just might have lost focus on the SEABL coaching roll over the last couple of years.

Reply #416179 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:50 am, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754