Rashad
Years ago

Cody Ellis expected to sign with the Wildcats

http://andthefoul.net/archives/5976

Some Aussie kids will be coming home from college this year. One of them Cody Ellis, is expected to sign with the Wildcats once the coaching issue has been resolved.

Thoughts?

Topic #31541 | Report this topic

Vart  
Years ago

Good signing. Should be a decent rookie coming off the bench. Will develop into a solid contributor down the track.

Reply #416368 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Good news for the NBL I think. Will be nice to see some kids comeback from college and hopefully become that next generation of top talent that they have the potential to be.

Reply #416389 | Report this post

WAboy  
Years ago

Will he want/ask for the #6? :)

Reply #416407 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Ellis could be a very good player in the NBL one day...he has size and is a great shooter from range.

Reply #416412 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"Ellis could be a very good player in the NBL one day...he has size but can be a bit streaky from range."

fixt

Reply #416416 | Report this post

Pikachu  
Years ago

Why do players comeback from college , to sit on the bench?
Its not little league , they play in stadiums packed full of fans, they should be able to contribute here. Smaller crowds, less hype weekly, no espn to hound them
Especially players that go to big schools , Ellis should get a starting role

Reply #416420 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Pikachu... Nbl is a harder style of game. Guys that do OK in college get owned here... Must remember most guys in college basketball never ever make a career out of it.. and like 1% or something make the NBA

Reply #416431 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Good move for both parties, I look forward to seeing him next year.

Reply #416448 | Report this post

Rashad  
Years ago

I don't think it matters these days if you're a streaky 3 point shooter and a big buy. Just means you can hit the 3 and play well down on the block aswel. Looks like another Tony Ronaldson coming into the league!

Reply #416479 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

Yeah but at the same time there have been average aussie college guys who have excelled here.

Cody Ellis was an ok player looking at his stats he'd want to emulate his junior season more than his senior one. Field Goal percentage is not pretty.

Reply #416522 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I can't see Ellis ever being as good as Ronaldson.

Reply #416524 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Agree with Vart. Ellis *could* be a very good player in the NBL.

Reply #416525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

RohanT, apart from the best colleges most are well below NBL level so it is a case of how guys adjust to the step up in standard and physicality.

Reply #416528 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

The college game is very diff to Pro game and the style played in NBL is very physical and alot of guys never adjust whilst some take a few years.

Look at Stiendl guy hardly played a minute after round 6 and looked out of sorts..hopefully he has had his time to adjust and can get more burn if not he'll be out of the league after this contract expires.

Reply #416536 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

Steindl wasn't much chop in college to be fair to college.

Damian Martyn and Adam Gibson were they much good in college? don't know their stats or anything did they play in college? I'm assuming they both did?

Reply #416541 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Some guys adjust really well....i.e Madgen, Bruce & other simply don't translate to the pro game due to size, position or simply just can't find a team that requires a simliar type roll that they might have had in college, as plenty of dudes play 4 years in college put up ok numbers because of the structure and then never make it.

Reply #416544 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

Doe anyone know what happened to Carlin Hughes. He didn't exactly put up major numbers at Saint Mary's but he is one guy I thought would have a decent career in Australia. Did he get injuries ect?

Reply #416545 | Report this post

Pikachu  
Years ago

Expect to see Loe & Fotu in a breakers uniform again after college.
Adams won't be Bogut but he will have a better career then Marks
I want Penney to retire a breaker

Reply #416549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I played against Carlin in a local C2 grade comp last season in Perth, is retired and not taking basketball seriously anymore. Was pretty out of shape, not sure if its due to injuries?

Reply #416550 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

Fair enough i remember when Patty went down with that wrist injury he played some reasonable minutes thought i'd hear about him in the SEABL sort of standard at least.

Reply #416553 | Report this post

psycho  
Years ago

Gibson didn't play college and martin had knee injuries. Cody Ellis should be a good signing, great potential.

Reply #416561 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Martin, of course, was conference defensive player of the year at college. Just did all the little things he does now, I dont think he knows any other way.

Reply #416571 | Report this post

Areil86  
Years ago

Cam Gliddon is an exception to the "College players struggle" argument.
Went to a lower level college and came in and not only started for Cairns but also won league R.O.Y!!
Incidentally, he played state basketball with Ellis in 2008 for a WA side that included Ben Purser, Trian Iliadis and Kyle Armour who all saw NBL minutes this year for Perth !!

Reply #420362 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Cam Gliddon was alright and deserved rookie of the year this year, but it wasnt the strongest rookie class its fair to say

Reply #420396 | Report this post

psycho  
Years ago

Saw in Sunday times Cody Ellis won't finish school until December just curious as to what the wildcats might do with roster spot until then, assuming they sign him of course.

Reply #420402 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Apparently there is a villainous plan afoot involving tagging him as a development player, but don't know how much substance there is to that rumour.

Reply #420411 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"Apparently there is a villainous plan afoot involving tagging him as a development player, but don't know how much substance there is to that rumour"

good idea, NZ should then be able to sign Loe and Fotu as D players, again.

Reply #420413 | Report this post

psycho  
Years ago

He qualifies by just six days to be a DP. (24-4-90) could lead to promotion to main roster perhaps.

Reply #420416 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

@Mystro,

Don't ask me what NZ can/should be able to do, it's not like the NBL have their by-laws online!

Reply #420420 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

psycho, you actually have it back to front he does not qualify by 6 days. Development players have to under the age of 24 on 30 April 2014.

I wonder if his desire to stay in the US until December also has something to do with the next generation Ellis boy on the way.

Reply #420427 | Report this post

psycho  
Years ago

You got me there silencer83. Good call. I still hope we can get him anyway

Reply #420433 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

cant seem to find any in game footage of him

Reply #420455 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"@Mystro,

Don't ask me what NZ can/should be able to do, it's not like the NBL have their by-laws online!"

point out where I asked you a question and I'll pretend to care

Reply #420458 | Report this post

Choppy Galopy  
Years ago

What's the old saying 'you can't teach size' and he has good size. Good college player in a damn good St.Louis squad. Student game should translate to pro one.

Reply #420463 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

@Mystro,

Rather catty response for something that wasn't an attack on you.

You replied to me saying well we should be able to do the same for some of your own players. All I said was I dunno if you can or not, since I don't have access to the NBL's by-laws on dev players.

Cool your jets.

Reply #420471 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:20 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754