#45 hoops
Years ago

Predictions on the NBL in future years?

Just a thought, what will the NBL be like in the future?
with the NBL breaking away from basketball australia,could we possibly see the NBL get bigger and more media coverage in future years?
i would LOVE to see the NBL be a bigger league here, i would atleast like to see games results on the news, they seem to mention every a league, nrl and afl game recently played, but not NBL, ( other than ten news)
Where could we see the league going? up or down?

Topic #31545 | Report this topic

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

In ten years time it will probably be an association football league.

Reply #416464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With the NBL basically becoming a privately run clandestine league (again) i cant see how its going to improve.

Reply #416466 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

FYI guys I'm about to start another thread: Sustainability of the NBL

It's basically (exactly) the same as the 1,000 threads preceding it on the same topic, but different in that... well, yeah.

Oh, and do you guys think the NBL should just 'take a break', then come back even better?

Reply #416475 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Only if they bring back 48 minutes. also, jumps balls.

Reply #416476 | Report this post

A lot of the current players will be older (possibly all of them)

Reply #416481 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Possibly.......?

Who looks like being younger in 10 years then??

Very funny!!

I predict the NBL will discover the internet and actually promote the crap out of itself...

Big call, I know.

Reply #416484 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I predict the league will work out how to cash in on every new thread started to discuss the same idea - they'll make millions

Reply #416494 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

I think the NBL will stick around, holding onto dear life. but I dont see the situation improving much or deteriorating much either. expect 10 years of the same.

Reply #416511 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Hmmm - in one sense, we're going back to the 1990s model. The main difference (other than rules) would be that the players are fully professional and the standard is lower. I base the last on the fact that almost no Boomers play NBL these days and there are fewer top shelf imports playing (partly as there are fewer teams).

To lift the profile of the league back to where it was in those days probably will need investment in promotion as well as changes to the product. The changes to the product are probably pretty easy and cheap to make (better officiating, jump balls, 48 minute games, whatever).

However, I'm not sure how the clubs will share the costs of promotion, when we have a mixture of poor clubs and rich clubs? Maybe some sort of profit sharing arrangement that says you get more of the profits, when they come, if you stump up more of the capital to set up, promote and run the "new" NBL? I'm hopeful they'll come up with a solutino that sees the necessary investment made. If that's done, then I see the NBL becoming much stronger over the next 5-10 years.

What I'm fearful of is that some of the changes may involve salary caps and points caps and we may find ourselves back where we were 15 years ago. Rich clubs perennially winning, while community clubs get sick of losing and start folding when they try to outspend the rich guys.

One of the problems is, once NBL gets popular and trendy again, the nouveau riche, selfish dickheads will start circling, wanting to be part of the action because it's trendy and without caring for the club or the sport. Then, when their business goes bust (Eddie, Tim etc.), the club dies with it.

So, it's one thing for the people involved now to have the clubs' and NBL's interests front of mind, but so did the people running the league in the 1980s and 1990s. They need to think about protecting the league from history repeating itself.

Reply #416540 | Report this post

Pikachu  
Years ago

How hard is it to use youtube?
NBL needs a show, weekly highlights
A magazine etc

Reply #416552 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Enough interest to keep it going but not enough to have any impact on the saturated sports scene.

Reply #416559 | Report this post

Hoopster  
Years ago

Pikachu, There was a magazine called one on one when ball was in it's hey-day & only lasted a few years. Print media must be too $$$. Your youtube ideas is awesome though.

Reply #416581 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL had take a break in their white paper. It won't happen.

Reply #416582 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

I dont see how making the game 48 minutes will make it in anyway more entertaining, anyone wanna clear this myth up for me?

Reply #416584 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

^^^ Value for money.

Reply #416602 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

In ten years time it will probably be an association football league.

Hmm. A lingerie one?

Reply #416603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've still got every issue of One on One magazine ever made out in the garage along with about 30,000 basketball cards.

Those were the days.

Reply #416604 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/basketball/8626713/Nick-Mills-eyes-place-for-Saints-in-fresh-ANBL

Wellington Saints Owner again pushing for inclusion.

Reply #416605 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

48 minutes works because it brings the old adage back into play "records are meant to be broken" and currently the NBL under the 40 minute game are only getting close or breaking records for fewest points, fewest assists and heck we can't even get our top scorer averaging 20 points or our leading rebounder pulling double figures each night.

I understand our rosters are packed and every player seems good enough to get a big of playing time but when the wildcats have 1 player (Lisch) playing over 30 minutes a game it's hard to see how an extra 8 minutes is going to wear teams down too much.

Personally I see the NBL ultimately being too expensive to take the family to (gold tickets at Wildcats games were $44/ ticket) which compared to other sports is pretty expensive. I'm happy to pay that but I hope it's not getting wasted and good to see Wildcats turn a $1m profit.

Does seeing a profit like that give any other clubs a bit of confidence about sustainability?

Reply #416606 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

PeterJohn - well said !

Reply #416614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PROUD^^ "Personally I see the NBL ultimately being too expensive to take the family to (gold tickets at Wildcats games were $44/ ticket) which compared to other sports is pretty expensive"

That is NOTHING! the option to buy a cheap general admission is there, for each club strating at $15-20.

NBA tickets Are redicoulously expensive, theres no way you could take a family there every game, the cheapest tickets for the NY knicks for example start at around $100, and thats right at the back of the huge stadium.

for a decent seat at a NY game you would be looking at $300 and for what seats you would get at a nbl game for $50, you would get for $900 at a knicks game.

Reply #416619 | Report this post

Slopernator  
Years ago

I've attended Lakers, Clippers, Warriors and Celtics regular season games for under $30USD a pop. Knicks were around $60USD. Midweek games mostly though, so that may factor into it. Playoffs however, are a different story altogether, as are the teams that have waiting lists for season tickets, like the Bulls or Thunder/Sonics.

Kudos on your point regarding GA tickets for $15-20, but at the same time, you'd think market demand would determine ticket prices. If Perth can get 11k attending on average with their current ticket pricing schedule, where's the impetus for them to change it? Would imagine the rent of the PA costs them a pretty penny too.

Reply #416929 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:10 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754