Panther
Years ago

Sixers in the ABL

I know this will be a highly controversial topic but one that I think should be looked at in the best interest of the local game.
Back in the day, it seemed that all the Sixers players were spread out around the Local league making it a lot more spectator friendly and a much more even competition.
What if we adopted the same system as the SANFL did with players who were picked up by Port and Adelaide?
What if at the start of each season there was a mini draft and those teams without Sixers players were able to draft new players.
Yes I understand these days imports head home straight after the season and that players want time off or want to go on a holiday, but majority of them will be able to play at least half a season.
So picture this scenario...

Last year we had:

Woodville- Mitch Creek
West- DJ
North- Pero
Sturt- Daly
South- No one
Norwood- No one
Centrals- No one
Southern- No one
Eastern- No one
Forestville- No one

What if that looked like this...

Woodville- Mitch Creek
West- DJ
North- Pero
Sturt- Daly
South- Petrie
Norwood- Weigh
Centrals- Cadee
Southern- Schenscher (He's a Tiger anyway!)
Eastern- Gibson
Forestville- Croswell

At the start of each SBL season have a draft starting with the bottom team getting the first pick, second bottom gets second bottom and so on...

Topic #31589 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

be even better in the womens comp, rather than all at norwood

Reply #417431 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Payments, interest of players in actually suiting, etc. Someone like Schenscher is probably not going to want to risk injury playing ABL.

Reply #417433 | Report this post

Wam Soosnam  
Years ago

Far better pathways for both players and the 36ers/Lightning would be to put 2 teams in to seabl.

The state League will never be what it was, the demise of BASA and the subsequent lack of marketing and sponsorship, plus a ridiculous salary cap means the league has died.It cant be resurrected.

4 seabl teams( men and women) in Adelaide would provide great interest and the best 24 players would continue there development at the best winter league in the country.
Our population is suited to 2 teams each, with clubs aligned to each team.

NO player payments to ABl.

5 teams at 15 k ea (75k )with support from the Governing body BSA and we would very quickly be back on track in SA.

Reply #417437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wam get off the drugs

where would everyone else play

Reply #417481 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

I actually agree! Get a Northern and a Southern Adelaide team for mens and womans into Seabl. That way the higher level players can remain in the state without having to go to mount gambier.

TBH i think they should just expand the whole of the seabl and have it as a second tier league for the whole country. Then each of the NBL teams can use these clubs for the offseason!

Reply #417488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Sixers should align with Pioneers as a potential development for their players.

They already have Daly and Warbout. Ex-sixers sutton and burdon (maybe a new sixer again). Also have ex sixer in Brad Hill.

Lucas Blicavs showing good potential and development under the system.

Richard Hill as the coach who is in the mount full time.

This is the avenue that should be pursued.

Reply #417492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Won't work for all players. Guys like Weigh would rather go home and play in the QBL etc. for their own junior associations.

Reply #417567 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

So have it written in their Sixers contract that they need to remain in the state and play in the SBL for a nominated amount of money.
Sixers coaches get to continue to work with the players and keep an eye on them.
I remember the days when the league had playing in it, Mark Davis, Brett Maher, Robert Rose, Bill Jones, Al Green, Dwayne Nelson, Scott Ninnis, Chris Blakemore, Leon Trimmingham, I think the whole of the 86 championship team played locally!
If those guys can play then surely guys like Weigh can suit up!
Yes this year is a different story perhaps because he may look to move, but if guys are on multi year contracts then boo hoo you can stay and play locally.

Reply #417590 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:35 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754