Isaac
Years ago

Sixers Captaincy Hypothetical

If Brett Maher was not to return, who would be your captain of the 36ERS?

Name and reason.

(We all hope he returns, but I thought it'd be an interesting topic anyway. Even if it makes ShaqDiddy cry at the thought!)

Topic #3159 | Report this topic

cavalo  
Years ago

Depends if you want an import or an Aussie. If we were going with an import I would go with Dusty as he works his arse off every game and leads by example. What better captain could you want who does absolutely everything he can to help the team? Just like Brett does.

Amongst the Aussies in the team they are all quite young apart from Nash so he would have to look at him first and foremost due to his experience and good personality. Coming off an injury plagued year and doubts about his health, it could turn out to be the best thing for him and to lead a pretty young team they all might rally behind him or it might turn out to be bad as he might not have an impact on the court, possibly could get injured etc.

I just don't know if it would be in the best interest of the team or club to appoint anyone else. Farley isn't the leader type IMO.

A very interesting situation IF Brett didn't come back!

Reply #36462 | Report this post

bootleg  
Years ago

I think that dusty would be a good choice if Brett does not return, he is one of the better players returning from last year. I would have chosen a veteran on the team you no some one who has been around for a few years but the 36ers don't really have any one that's like that all of there roster is filled with a lot of inexperienced campaigners.

Reply #36465 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If Rees does not return, then Nash is the senior player in the team. I like the thinking that it could revive him, but it might be a risky move.

Is Dusty too much of a silent workhorse to act as captain?

Maybe Nash/Dusty co-captains?

All of that said, if Maher gets a better offer in Europe, captaincy could be the least of the team's problems. What unsigned Australian point guards, who can also score, remain? Try to grab Luke Martin from Sydney? Braith Cox? Not many options...

Reply #36467 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

I think the Nash/Dusty co-captaincy would be a good move. With Dusty leading by example but in a more silent manner and Nash talking it up a bit more with the team. If this scenario was to occur I would hope Nash can stay healthy.

A Luke Martin would be an alternative, I mean he's no Brett Maher but at the moment there isn't a whole lot of choice. Proves just how important Maher is.

Please come back Maher!!! =]

Reply #36482 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

I think Willie Farley wouold make a great captain for the club. Those who think he isn't captain material should think back to last year when Maher did his hammy and Willie upped his game to a new level (brisbane?)

He shows great passion and the team would follow suit.

Plus it would be another reason for him to stay here longer

Reply #36483 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Kriss,

I agree that Willie did a great job last season with Brett out .. i just wonder though if he was Captain he might not settle the younger players down when it is needed.. Willie can get a bit swept up in the heat of the game, Nash/Rychart would probably be a more stabilizing choice.

Aside from that i think Jacob and Oscar are still a couple of years from "leadership" roles, Catallini would have been great if he had returned.

Reply #36486 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

But Nash has got to worry about his own career let alone anyone elses? He is just getting back into the swing of things and i dont think he needs the extra pressure.
Dusty would be my second choice yeah but i think he just likes to 'lead by example' is he the type t gather the guys in at half time and give them a pep talk or spray if they need one?

Reply #36490 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

Rychart or Farley. I can't really split them.

I don't think a captain in basketball is all that important really. The coach stands just metres away giving direction and the point guard in a way leads the team also. The captaincy seems more a status symbol to me.

Reply #36501 | Report this post

Boti  
Years ago

Jacob Holmes

He may be only 22 but now would be the perfect time for him to take over. Realistically, unless you're looking at an interim, stop-gap selection (which is always fraught with danger), a long-term proposition is ideal. Nash's ability to get on the floor consistently must be in doubt, while the imports, Rychart and Farley, are year by year propositions to be even at the club.

A higher level of responsibility seems to have brought out the best in Holmes in the past (go to guy with the Eastern Mavericks), and it will also (hopefully) make him think twice about and improve his sometimes suspect shot selection, if he is to lead by example.

Reply #36504 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

Captain Al Green

Reply #36528 | Report this post

wish I could dunk  
Years ago

Good call Boti

Reply #36576 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

Holmes would be a good choice but maybe percieved as a bit your for it

how old was maher when he took over ?

Reply #36684 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Holmes was actually captain in the games that Maher was injured in last season, so that would make him the logical choice.

If that happened I would possibly appoint Oscar as vice captain, because Oscar has showed a committment to the club (pay cuts etc) to show dedicated he is.

Reply #37627 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:27 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754