Nathan of Perth
Years ago

Shawn Redhage re-signs for three seasons

Just got this email in:

Shawn Redhage re-signs for three seasons

Perth Wildcats co-captain Shawn Redhage has become the fifth player on the roster for 2013/14 after re-signing with the club on a three-season deal, tying him to the Wildcats until at least the end of the 2015/16 NBL season.

Redhage joined the Wildcats in 2005 after a season with the New Zealand Breakers and has since gone on to captain his side to the 2010 Championship, win six club MVP awards and play 252 games for the club.

The 32-year-old was thrilled to put pen to paper.

"I'm really excited, Perth has become my home and my family’s home and it’s a dream of mine to finish my career with the Wildcats, and this is a huge step towards that and I’m excited to play another three years, and to be a part of this organisation and this team," he said.

“Next season will be my ninth year with the Wildcats, so it’s something that I definitely didn’t think was in the realm of possibility when I came into the league as an import, and I think it’s pretty special to be part of an organisation and a team for that length of time and one that’s as successful as the Wildcats, so it’s a huge honour.”

The Perth Wildcats announced star big man Matt Knight will also be on board for another three seasons earlier in the week, and Redhage is confident the team is destined for more success in the near future.

“The buzz around basketball is massive in Perth at the moment, it really is a special place to play, a lot of players would love to be here and to play in front of this many passionate fans that are passionate about the team and the sport. This is what the future of basketball in this country is all about.”

Shawn Redhage left Perth early Monday morning for Puerto Rico, where he will play for Piratas de Quebradillas during the NBL off-season.

Topic #31594 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Pirates of Adjuntas welcome their two new recruits, forward Shawn Redhage and point guard Kevin Lisch.

Shawn Redhage already a legend among our fans. During the 2009 and 2010 was a strong candidate to be awarded the MVP of the league.

During the 2009 season averaged 18.53 points, 2.9 assists and 7.7 rebounds. Moreover, in the 2010 season averaged 18.13 points per game, 7.0 rebounds and 4.4 assists. This year was militating in Perth's Wildcats of the A-League. He was elected an All-Star for the South team in December. Season averaged 14.0 points, 2.7 assists and 4.8 rebounds.

Kevin Lisch, meanwhile, is partner and co-captain of Perth's Wildcats with Shawn Redhage. During the 2012 season was voted the MVP of the A-League. In addition he was awarded the top prize at point guard to be chosen All-Star Team 30 years of the A-League. During this year was 17. 6 points, 3.6 rebounds, 2.8 assists and 1.1 steal per game. Also threw for a 45% shooting from the field, 41% on three-pointers and 81.0% on free throws.

Also, The Pirates of Adjuntas licensed striker Philips and point guard Darren Thomas Sanders. The management of The Pirates of Adjuntas and all the people want to thank you for these excellent players player with the heart for our fans. Heart will always be pirates. Pirates Here!

Reply #417484 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Lisch co-captain? Playing in the A League? There are more errors in that than an article from stuff.co.nz

Reply #417486 | Report this post

#45 hoops  
Years ago

a league?
also, what is happening with kevin and the wildcats?

Reply #417491 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

So what is that locked in now?

Martin[10]
Knight[10]
Redhage[10]
Wagstaff[9]
Trueman[4]
Bartlett[6]
Ellis[3]
=52 points.

So, 18 pts to fit 3 players. Hrmm.

Reply #417494 | Report this post

psycho  
Years ago

22 points to fit three players martin,wagstaff and Bartlett are under previous contract points, also don't think trueman is confirmed so could be 26 points for 4 players

Reply #417498 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Well that's a bit better.

As an aside, if Bartlett is really going to be a 6, he needs to have one hell of a year coming up. If he has another 0/9 shooting game...

Reply #417515 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

I suppose the disappointing part about this is that it means there's very little chance of Dunigan coming in, without really unbalancing the team make-up.

Reply #417516 | Report this post

psycho  
Years ago

I agree the signings of redhage and knight greatly reduce the chance of signing dunigan so with that in mind here's my wildcats team
Martin
Lisch/import
Hire
Redhage
Knight

R carter (or rookie if he goes)
Bartlett
Ellis
Wagstaff
Trueman

Equals 70. Tovey out and Ellis in.

Reply #417525 | Report this post

Cats82  
Years ago

Same team again!! And may be the same result at the end. Hope they can shoot better this season, don't realy wana watch a netball score at perth arena

Reply #417549 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Im hoping Lisch signs elsewhere just so I can see some new blood in the Wildcats starting line up.

Reply #417557 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I can't see Lisch going to another NBL club. I reckon it's either Perth or Europe for him.

Reply #417559 | Report this post

Rashad  
Years ago

I really hope we don't keep trueman, and can at least replace him with someone with similar size but not as uncoordinated as him. and Bartlett is a muppet too

Reply #417560 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Agreed, natwhereyouat. I would love for Lisch to remain the NBL, but in another uniform.

So much for the 'certainty' of Dunigan signing...

Reply #417582 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

I don't think anyone inside the Wildcats HQ were planning on Dunigan. They loved him but he was on a short term deal which, because of the money he was demanding, was the ONLY way an NBL team could afford him. No way for a full season unless he drops his price.

Reply #417605 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I'm a Wildcats member but I hate this signing... So Redhage will be 33, 34 and 35 and ranked 10 points (along with Knight) for the next 3 seasons (those 2 alone mean we have 50 player points left for the rest of the roster for the next 3 years)

I loved the idea of Worthington or Dunigan in red next year and I know the fans around me at games were getting frustrated and just wanted to see some dunks and Redhage is too conservative and I hope this signing doesn't alienate our membership and crowds going to games on the coming seasons.

It will be awesome if I have to eat my words but I can't see positives yet

Reply #417664 | Report this post

Pug49  
Years ago

"Same team again!! And may be the same result at the end. Hope they can shoot better this season, don't realy wana watch a netball score at perth arena." (sic)

"...I know the fans around me at games were getting frustrated and just wanted to see some dunks..."

The definition of numnuts. So, a 80-100 points a game, just throwing it down and no defence, and you kiddies would be satisfied? Sad.

Reply #417671 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Some clubs might dream of being the 2nd or 3rd best team in the league but when you've been that way for 3 years, you really need to change something. Other teams are getting better while I just do not see any upside for Perth with this signing.

Reply #417691 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

You can call it what you like, Pug, but champagne basketball it ain't.

Reply #417729 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

It's not pretty but it's largely effective...except for when we play the Breakers in the grand final! Is disappointing that we haven't seemed to address the issues ie poor shooters.

Proud, I think you'll find that a player can be rerated down mid-contract so if Redhage's output drops off, so too will his points rating.

Reply #417732 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Never heard of that being done or allowed.

Reply #417733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Except for last year they were always the highest scoring fastest team n the league.

Reply #417734 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Drew Williamson was re-rated down mid contract a couple of years ago.

There is no benefit to the league, the players or any team to have ratings not being able to be moved down mid contract.

Reply #417738 | Report this post

Rashad  
Years ago

There is nothing wrong with the signing, is everyone forgetting the cats only lost 6 games last season? It's all about team stability, keeping shawn redhage is a big boost for the club based on the versatility and different positions he can play. We beat new zealand a couple times in the regular season aswel so there's nothing stopping the wildcats from winning a championship. Since Nick Marvin has been looking after the club he has put the wildcats in a great position financially including getting them to play at a state of the art Perth Arena. Have faith in him, he will only do what's best for Perth's success and it's fans!

Reply #417747 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

U gotta a coach yet?

Reply #417887 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

Ok Situation I was unaware of Williamson but hopefully it can be changed otherwise its a big risk.

Pug, let me explain myself, wildcats killing opposition (I think it was kings or hawks late in the season) and lead by 20+ points and with the opposition looking dejected in the space of a minute or two Knight, Redhage and I think Trueman made easy Lay ups off the backboard and the people around me wanted to see some dunks.
As a wildcats member in gold seating I spend good money, I clap and cheer and even scream myself hoarse. So with the Wildcats knowing their are members like me in the stands, I want them getting someone like Dunigan in the team.

During the 30th year celebrations we seen James Crawford dunk and I wonder if Perth Arena has ever been louder.
Nick Marvin has done excellent but getting someone with serious hops (Everard Bartlett supposedly has it but won't show it) and Bennie Lewis would be exciting as well.

Reply #417894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dunks, just another area Perth trail the Breakers in!!

Reply #417927 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Perth trails NZ in salary cap spending too...

Reply #417935 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Never heard of that being done or allowed.
Clubs used to just cancel contracts with approval from the player and then create a new contract under the lower points value. I imagine the NBL just saved them having to use this loophole.

Reply #417942 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

When James Crawford threw down in that Legends game, I was sitting in the canteen area outside, watching the big screen whilst having a beer and snacks, and I heard the crowd roar through three sets of walls. And the arena was only half-full at the time. Hell, I nearly fell off my own chair watching it, particularly with the show-off pass that led to it.

There are a lot of returning/new Wildcats supporters who are looking for the excitement factor, which Marvin is well aware of.

Reply #417962 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:15 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754