Benno
Years ago

Dellavedova doesn't get NBA Draft Combine Invite

Must of been lost on the way, pretty shattered for dell! Hopefully he can prove his worth and sneak in somewhere in the second round!

Topic #31636 | Report this topic

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Always going to be tough for him.

Factors against him are his speed/quickness that said hopefully his agent works the phone and gets him a workout or two so he can prove he is at least D-Leage worthy...then he can show what he has got

Reply #418253 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I hope he doesn't get drafted 2nd round - worst scenario for him IMO. He needs to keep his options open.

Still, being snubbed from this is pretty tough.

Reply #418262 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

He will get invites from teams without a doubt, it's there he will cement his place has a solid 1st round candidate. Stupid he didn't get the combine invite, you would think his performance in last 2 years would have opened enough eyes

Reply #418268 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I can't believe these American coaches and scouts aren't aware that Australian are the best players in the world for ever and ever.

Reply #418269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is too slow for the NBA and his game isnt polished enough yet to cover for that. Any NBA scout who watched the end of the season saw he was susceptible to pressure and slow of foot. Part of that may have been injury, but they saw what they saw.

He will get good offers from around the world and become a very good player somewhere. Down the track he may even develop enough to compensate for his lack of physical skills and get a crack at the NBA.

Reply #418273 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

From what I have heard, some NBA teams are very keen to get him in their system. im hearing he may not get drafted but will be invited to camps and is highly likely to sign with an NBA team as they believe he is the best PG in a pick n roll play and a great passer. I think if I remember Houston were 1 team and I would be only guessing but I remember there were 3 or 4 other teams. Phoenix is sticking in my head for some reason

Reply #418275 | Report this post

MIM  
Years ago

heard from who? Pretty close with Kevin McHale?

Reply #418279 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

Did look susceptible under pressure in college ball but really he was a one man show almost at the Gaels. Teams pretty much rushed him. I'd be interested to see how he goes on teams with better players like in Europe or the D-League. I think he will defer to his teammates more often than not unless of course he's open.

Reply #418282 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

Also i'm not sure a draft combine helps a guy like Delly. Not sure if he'd be that bothered tbh.

Reply #418284 | Report this post

psycho  
Years ago

Still think he is a good chace for summer league callup

Reply #418287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love how everyone says his only weakness is his speed and athleticism. Put a good defender on him and he has no moves to score.

Reply #418288 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Well, its a bit of a shame... but I dont think its done and dusted yet. I am sure he will get some sort of a look at some point. There is worse players in the NBA then him. Worst comes to worst he becomes a good PG in a top euro team. Is there really anything wrong with that? I ofcourse hope he makes the NBA one day.

Reply #418289 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Well, its a bit of a shame... but I dont think its done and dusted yet. I am sure he will get some sort of a look at some point. There is worse players in the NBA then him. Worst comes to worst he becomes a good PG in a top euro team. Is there really anything wrong with that? I ofcourse hope he makes the NBA one day.

Reply #418290 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

He has some of if not the best fundamentals out of all the PGs going in the draft out of college. What he lacks in speed he makes up for in strength. He doesn't need to be the fastest to be useful

Reply #418297 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Delly was a one man show at St marys. He had basically no help. Rob Jones helped delly a lot last season but this season he had nobody he did a lot for that program and his game is really underrated which I'm sure many top NBA scouts are aware of. Will be interesting to see where he ends up!

Reply #418304 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

This is a blessing in disguise.

If he goes to combine and puts up average athletic testing scores (3/4 court sprint, vertical jump, agility drill)that might discourage some teams.

Best thing is that now he doesn't have to worry about it, and he can go directly to team workouts and show them his on-court skill and his size (6"5) in person.

If teams see his combine scores = not very impressed
If teams see his on court skill in person = impressed

Reply #418305 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Clearly Pop's doing...

Reply #418307 | Report this post

David Stern  
Years ago

NBA is too athletic sorry guys. Same problem for Joe Ingles. To many Athletic African Americans

Reply #418311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the kids a winner... cant teach that

Reply #418323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBA is too athletic sorry guys ... hello Nash ,Kidd and other non " Athletic Africa American " ballers !! is it just me or am I seeing more non Athletic Africa American guards in the NBA ??

Reply #418326 | Report this post

David Stern  
Years ago

Please.

Kidd was a beast at 22, quick as

Nash?? 10 times the point guard and 100 times the shooter of Delly.

Imagine Delly trying to stop Westbrook, Rose, Parker. Even Jameer Nelson would tear him apart.

This is a quick mans game, you are delirious if you think otherwise.

Reply #418339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry are we saying that if Delly makes a team that he going up against those guys ? I was only using them as non " Athletic African American " example ( not saying he is in the same class as them )if anything he would be 2nd team or a 11th or 12th bench player . Still not a bad place to be. He still has something to offer to the right team in my opinion .

Reply #418340 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

Pablo Prigioni is doing alright at the moment. Who knew!

Reply #418341 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

I think its funny when guys talk NBA they list the absolute all stars of the NBA and say can they contain so and so, and so and so. Fact is, is there All Stars, NO ONE can actually contain them!

How many bench guys in the NBA can contain the names mentioned? Maybe 5% of the league could do it.

Delly, would definitely not be the worst 10-12th guy getting around on most of these teams,

Reply #418343 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

My personal opinion is Delly should run clubs around the world and develop into the player we all know he can become, then go back to the NBA when he is older and wiser. Sitting on an NBA bench or playing D-League isn't going to develop him.

Reply #418379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

have seen both delly and ingels play at the same age group
Ingels is a way better player in my opinion
ingels has not made the nba so i do not see delly making it

Reply #418395 | Report this post

Choppy Galopy  
Years ago

Elite passing pg are rare. Delly will get a NBA job, just might be by the back door.
He's still a genuine late 2nd round chance but do not be surprised if undrafted.

Not everyone is interested in combines, the GM's know he's not going to have a 42 vertical, but they know his strengths.

Reply #419640 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:17 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754