The Small Balla
Years ago

Top scorer in NBL averages less than before

The top scorer this year averaged 17ppg but recently read an article about Ebi Ere scoring 27ppg just a few years back. Whats happened and with a new style of basketball coming in do you think the scoring averages will be higher?

Topic #31641 | Report this topic

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Part of it was also the benches getting substantial minutes in the top two teams.

Reply #418357 | Report this post

Raichu  
Years ago

There's a lack of genuine shooters now.
Most teams only had 1 or 2 that knocks down consistent open shots. Lisch & Redhage for the wildcats
Corletto, Bruton, Webster for the breakers
Goulding for the tigers
Madgen for the kings

Everybody else either bang it inside or score with speed.

IMO Lazare had a great season, in between big man who can shoot, but also defend inside without giving away silly fouls.

I think the quality of the pass first point guards in the league now is down. Most players across the board can play multiple roles. But still see big men who giveup easy rebounds or don't even make an effort to jump or defend shots.

Reply #418359 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The very next year, Ere averaged 21 PPG.

Reply #418365 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Ere led the NBL scroing in 2009 with 26.0ppg, ahead of Penney (24.2ppg, Redhage 22.9ppg and Anstey 21.8ppg). That's the only season he won the NBL scoring title, so I assume that's the season concerned.

In that season, Ere was playing in 48 minute games and the 3 point line was closer in than now, I think. Nonetheless, he scored at a points per minute rate about 10% higher than Madgen did last season, as the NBL's leading scorer. However, Penney (in second place) scored fewer points per minute than did Madgen and that was the case again in the following season, when Penney won the scoring title with 24.1ppg.

So will individual scoring averages be higher - depends on how much time coaches will play their stars, more than anything else.

Reply #418366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Ebi Ere is probably a better player than almost everyone not named Cedric Jackson in the NBL, especially those really big years from him.

Secondly he is more of a scorer than Cedric and most others who play NBL,

those 2 things are why he scores at a higher rate than most current NBL players

Reply #418367 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The reduction to 40 mins and 8 teams means teams can play more intense defence for a larger portion of the game. That means there is greater reward for hard defence and more teams have a variety of schemes, whereas not so long ago most NBL teams ran straight up D.

The NBL is now in line with the other top 40 minute leagues in the world who rarely have scorers over 20pts. Against good defence you have to spread the load - as an example 38% of the league scored in double figures last season, compared to just 27% above 12ppg (48min equiv) in 2008 when Ere averaged 26.

Reply #418377 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I think we would all like more scoring from both teams in games we are watching and when you think that 1 basket more per quarter is 8 points over the duration of a game so even if it went up 8 points each per team then maybe the top scorers average may be back in the 20s again

Reply #418431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That would be nice, but I dont care how much the leading scorer gets as long as the games are good to watch. NBA rules/NBL sucks types mighnt like it but they will always find a reason not to watch NBL.

Reply #418434 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:48 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754