Jack
Years ago

REAL Reason Aussies Don't Get Fair Shot In NBA

This is it. American ARROGANCE, zealotry, patriotism, fascism, etc. They REALLY do believe they are superior to people from every other country in the world at everything.

I have proof of just how arrogant these American coaches are about "their basketball" and how they view players from ANY other country.

Watch this HIGHLY respected and FAMOUS American coach "analyze" international basketball's TOP LEVEL and listen to the comments he makes about it.

THIS THIS THIS is why Aussies don't get fair chances in USA. Because these INSANE American freaks actually believe this lunacy that just being non-American means you are inferior.

Just watch how completely insane and delusional this very well known American coach is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK10JzbWcAA

THAT is how they view any non-American player, NO MATTER HOW GOOD THEY ARE.

Topic #31671 | Report this topic

Coeezy  
Years ago

While his comparation to college basketball is worth disagreeing, pretty much his analysis of the game is pretty much spot on. He's right about the roster in terms of only having 2 or 3 guys that are capable of NBA play and a lot of those shots just turned into "bad isos".

He's also a high school coach and has not coached at any other level to knowledge.

Your going to stereotype a whole country based on one high school coach? You got to get a life dude.

Reply #418780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it because our players aren't as good as the likes of Kyrie Irving, Tony Parker, Chandler Parsons?

Reply #418783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut play minutes in the NBA. Check him out if you haven't seen him. He's a good player.

Reply #418789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

we're just not that good. relax.

Reply #418799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Patty, Baynes and Bogut could easily be all stars if they got the minutes.We have seen these players with minutes and they are nuts. Its a bit of a shame but there is still time.

Reply #418802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

this guy is a nobody. He coached 3 season in a high school and was just a manager in college. For those who dont know a manager is a student not good enough to even make a walk on spot and simply wipes the floor and chases loose balls. I wouldnt take any notice of him at all.

Reply #418810 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Indeed. Almost a quarter of the NBA is made up of international players. This 'prejudice' isnt holding them back.

The reality with Australia is we produce a hell of a lot of good players but we only have one great one (Bogut, with Exum on his way). For a good player to make the NBA they generally have to have some special attributes (ie Mills speed, explosive scoring; Baynes, power and size) which few of our players do athletically.

Reply #418812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you are reading far too much into this video.

hes not a high level coach or respected greatly at all. As said above.. he's a nobody who in my opinion has no real idea. He speaks about reasonable things, but many of his points are stupid and he just picks random parts of the game to criticise. Overall the European game is more technically and strategically sound than the NBA, however the athleticism and rules of the NBA are of higher quality leading to a higher standard of play.

College teams could not even go close to competing against the top euro teams and even the lower level ones. That has to be one of the stupidest comments Ive ever heard, the Europeans would be offended being compared with mid-lower div 1 college LOL!

Reply #418816 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

I think Dikembe Mutombo would have put this shot back into the stands. I can see the finger waving ...

Reply #418817 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

I agree the comments are being given way more attention than they deserve. Plenty of international players make the NBA including (last time I checked) a few Aussies.

Reply #418821 | Report this post

#45 hoops  
Years ago

just wondering, if some of the top aussie NBL players were born in america, do you think any of them could get in the NBA, even on the bench? i was thinking about this before.

Reply #418824 | Report this post

Wayne  
Years ago

As a coach who has coached at a high level and been to the US and watched Division 1 college trainings I would not pay much attention to some of these coaches. Their trainings sessions are pathetic, they just yell at players, rather than coach them. Australian coaches do an outstandng job of developing international players considering 99 % of us do it as a hobby and not a job/ career.

Australian coaches were just unlucky to be born in a country where basketball is not a career, whilst in America there are plenty of opportunities and jobs for coaches who have little understanding of how to coach players and manage people.

Thats my 2 cents worth.

Reply #418831 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

St Mary's is one college where they develop competent players who also seem to make them good PEOPLE.

Following up Wayne's comment, college ball has such a high profile it's scary - almost like the expectations on the Demons in the AFL.

College coaching can be a job for life, and it's largely measured on bringing success to the program rather than the quality of the person they graduate.

They generally start with players with great skills, and their job is to harness those skills into a structure to give the program success. Development probably only gets encouraged where there's gap in the structure that needs filling.

They might talk a lot about picking only the best quality people, but I'm sure they'd pick a top-notch shooter who's a prick ahead of a nice guy who will get a few points and rebounds each game.

Reply #418837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a coach currently coaching at the high school level in the US, and having coached some quality players and with some very good coaches back home, there is no doubt that Wayne is on the money.

Many coaches here, even at the college level, really aren't that good and if they had a 16 div 1 rep team back home the coaching directors at clubs would be "helping them out" a fair bit.

Having said that players here have a knowledge of the game that our guys don't have and that has its pros and cons.

The biggest difference has to be the athleticism here though. Overall players here are far more athletic than back home, the game is, interestingly, played at a slower tempo but with far more explosive movements. Also there is a process of organic skill development here that provides players with more developed 1 on 1 skills which our kids dont develop as thoroughly.

Reply #418843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh just to add.... I am also one of the ones with no idea, who coaches in America.... my accent just has em fooled! Go Aussie.

Reply #418844 | Report this post

#45 hoops  
Years ago

some american college basketball coaches make more than $3 million a year, they would be set for a rich life after a few seasons.
how much do nbl coaches get paid?

Reply #418845 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"interestingly, played at a slower tempo but with far more explosive movements."

This is spot on, and what makes the Aussie game (at all levels) quite unique, it's a really tough anaerobic sport the way we play, which unfortunately takes away from the explosive power aspects.

Reply #418849 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Do I hear dueling banjos in the distance...?

The guy falls short of being a red neck, just!

Agree with ^ comments, it is horses for courses, but the influx of Sudanese immigration here is changing the landscape.

Can we change our coaching style to suit the requirements of a change in the landscape, or are we doing just fine, thank you very much?

Reply #418860 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Oh yeah, and this guy hangs it on the Euro referees as well, implying they are inferior or inconsistent compared to NBA officials, he is kidding right??!

Reply #418862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

this guy is a nobody. He coached 3 season in a high school and was just a manager in college. For those who dont know a manager is a student not good enough to even make a walk on spot and simply wipes the floor and chases loose balls. I wouldn't take any notice of him at all.

>

He's a very famous American coach. He is featured all the time on big US sports websites with his "analyzing" videos and he has been cited and interviewed for his "expert" analysis on some of the biggest sports medias in the entire USA.

Hardly a nobody, when even things like ESPN would often cite him as an "expert" source for "coaching analysis and game breakdowns".

He's obviously retarded and complete delusional, but he IS very well known and highly regarded in USA as a coach.

Reply #418877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hes a nobody

Reply #418878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have watched EVERY college game on ESPN here this year and I have NEVER heard of the guy. If he was any good ESPN would have him doing game day breakdowns iinstead of Fran. He is just like any other arm chair analyst, a wanna be REAL coach with illusions of grandure. Anyone can build a web site and post video clips. I will stick with the guys who are actualy on ESPN thanks

Reply #418886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

agree
i'll stick with guys i respect also
not guys who think we should respect and list to them

Reply #418890 | Report this post

Wayne  
Years ago

Have to agree with comments here. Never seen or heard of him and I reckon I have seen and heard from most. Trust me Australian coaches do just as good as USA coaches except we dont:

Have access to the players 7 days a week
Dont have the facilities
Dont have the athletic players they have in the USA

Which makes you see why USA coaches that come out here dont really do that well. They come out here thinking they know it all, but dont deal well with Aussie players.

Reply #418900 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:34 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754