celtic green
Years ago

Marc Gasol does not make Defensive first team

Nba All Defensive First team announced (Lebron, Tony Allen, Chris Paul, Serge Ibaka, Tyson Chandler and Joakim Noah) with Marc Gasol, the NBA defensive player of the year not making. Seems rather ridiculous doesn't it?
Also how does Ibaka keep making it? Yes he is a great shot blocker and he has improved out of sight since last year (when there is no way he should have made it) but he still messes up a lot of assignments.
Also why do they have 6 players on the first team? Does anyone know that?

Topic #31674 | Report this topic

KingJames  
Years ago

Yeah it is bizarre!

The reason why they have six is probably because Chandler and Noah ended up with the same amount of points.

One time in my NBA Live game one of my players was Defensive player of the year as well as scoring champ yet was not MVP of the league. I have been angry with the commissioner ever since!

Reply #418856 | Report this post

Gordon Liddy  
Years ago

That's something I'd expect from the NBL, not the NBA.

Reply #418858 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I think this is pretty ridiculous myself...

The best defensive player should be on the first defensive team...much the same as league MVP should be on the All NBA first team...

Reply #418859 | Report this post

Nike Al  
Years ago

How does that happen? It would be like naming the MVP on the second team or it really asks the question did he deserve to win the defensive player of the year?

Reply #418867 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

They are voted on by different people, like when Matt Knight was runner-up MVP but was in All-Second Team.

Reply #418868 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

And for all the derision the NBL cops for similar announcements or standards of refereeing or whatever else, the NBA gets it just the same. Start of my Hoops Twitter feed for games today had countless remarks about the standard of refereeing.

I swear someone once posted "This would never happen in the NBA" when the NBL had dual winners in the event that players finished on the same vote count, or in the Knight instance.

Reply #418871 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Wouldnt have happened on ozhoops...

Reply #418873 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

Valid point Paul; Defensive MVP is voted by reporters and All NBA teams by the coaches. Sort of makes the reporters votes look silly in my opinion (would take the coaches opinion over the reporters every day of the week and twice on Sunday)

Reply #418884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really,

You would take Vinni Del Negro's opinion on defense?

Reply #418885 | Report this post

m  
Years ago

The media shouldn't be allowed to vote, it should just be coaches,gm's etc.

Reply #418896 | Report this post

B-Man  
Years ago

So if Chandler and Noah didn't tie Gasol wouldn't have even made the second team because the loser out of Chandler and Noah would have got the center spot on the second team?

I hope I'm reading it wrong.

Reply #418905 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

I think you're correct, B-Man, as Gasol was listed as a Center along with Noah and Chandler.

Reply #418914 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

I would definitely take Vinny Delnegro over Skip Bayless anon

Reply #418917 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:34 am, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754