Isaac
Years ago

Joyce to be announced as Opals coach

New Opals coach Brendan Joyce says there was too much talk of winning a gold medal before the London Olympics, declaring it is time for the team to ''walk the walk''.

Joyce will be officially installed as Opals coach on Thursday, replacing Carrie Graf, who guided the team to a bronze medal at last year's Olympics.

He has a solid pedigree, having played 289 games in the National Basketball League, coached the Wollongong Hawks to a championship, led the Gold Coast Blaze and had eight years as a Boomers assistant coach.

''I am into walking the walk, not talking the talk,'' said Joyce, who had Eddie McGuire as his No.1 referee on his resume.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/to-go-gold-opals-must-walk-the-walk-says-joyce-the-voice-20130515-2jmoa.html#ixzz2TMO1tVfd
Well, this is going to make that automatic Joyce filter he made legal threats to force into existence awkward on Hoops a bit more awkward.

Topic #31680 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

SoJ set to become DoJ? ;)

Reply #418930 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

I'm devastated :(

Reply #418931 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

FoSoJ has been used before.

Brendan told me over the phone a while back that he didn't think that people should be allowed to refer to Daniel as "SoJ" on the internet. So, he might not be keen on the derivative FoSoJ.

Reply #418933 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

I can't quite remember how Joyce got all the hate on here but It was about 6-7 years ago? What exactly did he do? Someone give me a quick refresh because I forgot exactly why everyone was baggin him in the dirt place

Reply #418934 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

I can't speak f0r 0thers... my devastati0n is m0stly due t0 the clueless things he c0mes up with when commentating.
I h0pe he is a hell of a pers0nal & team m0tivati0n type c0ach, because technically he seems sh0cking.

Reply #418935 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Ridiculous appointment - has he ever coached women?

Hes never coached in the WNBL or women at SEABL level?

Reply #418936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hear that? We either just scraped the bottom of the barrel or we hit rock bottom.

Reply #418938 | Report this post

Carol  
Years ago

Why not Peter buckle been assistant opals , coached wnbl ,world university games... More experience

Reply #418939 | Report this post

Wam Soosnam  
Years ago

Agree this is a dark day in our history, we will look back on this in 20 years time as the bottoming out of the Opals.

Possibly the end of the Opals as the shining light of the international teams that BA supports. Funding will go 1 way if they are not a medal team.

Reply #418940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The reason Joyce got hate was playing his son longer minutes than any other mediocre player would ever get. So expect his rampant bias in women's basketball now.

Reply #418941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very interesting, i would have thought they would get someone with WNBL experience at least.

He cant get a NBL job, and now coaches a national team?

Reply #418947 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

A selfish part of me is relieved that he's now no longer an option for the Wildcats job.

But good luck to him anyway.

Reply #418948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was happy when Graf got the arse. AM not so happy anymore.

Reply #418949 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

How did he land this gig? with so much talent in the Opal team player wise why should they accept a coach who having never coached in womens league, can't get a job coaching within the NBL

On a personal note after what the Blaze did to him its good to see him land some employment, but couldn't he have been an assistant to a much more experienced and respected coach of womens basketball?

Reply #418955 | Report this post

CharacterFirst  
Years ago

At least he won't be coaching EFC when Hirdy goes, eh Lance?

Reply #418958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

for all those bagging this because he can't get an NBL gig you have short memories or no idea about history

look up Tom Maher

Reply #418959 | Report this post

fan  
Years ago

How many WNBL titles did Tom Maher win? Surely more important than NBL gigs for coaching a women's team?

Reply #418965 | Report this post

What If  
Years ago

Excellent appointment - he will unite and make them a much tougher and more humble team !

Reply #418966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maher coached women for a long time before men.

Reply #418967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

there were 3 candidates it came down to...

1) BJ

2) Agler from Seattle

3) phil brown

the reason Joyce is not a bad appointment is that he has no prior connections or if u will favorites. he will break up the cliques and bitchiness within the opalsground which iimpacted their performance in london. imo browny unlucky to miss out. agler probably wanted too much. Joyce is an interesting appointment and will provide a new direction and leadership. lets sit back and watch where this goes..

Reply #418968 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

Well lets hope he is a bit more innovative than "Walking the walk" omg straight from a a basic coaching handbook of things to say. Phil Brown would have been an excellent choice and knows better than anyone the strengths and weaknesses of nearly all the Australian women. That all said if Joyce is the choice why didn't Brondello or the likes apply. Was the package not attractive enough to entice the best applicants.
In regards to sorting out the bitchiness in the team I am not sure about what you are talking about but it was very evident that the coaching panel last Olympics where less than happy with each others company. The make up of the coaches will be very important to an success.

Reply #418972 | Report this post

Phobos 92  
Years ago

Anon #418968

the reason j0yce is not a bad appointment is that he has no prior connections or if u will favorites. he will break up the cliques and bitchiness within the opalsground which iimpacted their performance in london.

How will he do that? Cut LJ or Penny? Start Carly Wilson and play her 40 minutes because she is 'nice' and won't rock the boat.

Shows a lack of understanding of womens hoops. There are cliques and bitchiness in every high level womens team. Team USA would have had the same issues as well as pretty much every wnba team.

This won't end well.

Reply #418976 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Eddie McGuire as #1 Referee. Seriously?

Reply #418981 | Report this post

Phobos 92  
Years ago

Its like Team USA giving someone like Flip Saunders or Mike Brown the womens head coaching gig.

Its just wouldn't happen.

Reply #418984 | Report this post

Triton 95  
Years ago

Not great news but give him a chance, he cant do any worse than that horror coach Graff.

Reply #418987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would love to be a fly on the wall when he gives Liz a bake for her attitude and lack of effort.

Reply #418988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the players dont run the show. at the last Olympics and over the pasy few years they think they can.

yes there was issues within the coaching staff. and you make an interesting point as to who can joyce select as ACs who will support and help the tewm without their own agenda.

I definitely want to see LJ and others at the nexy Olympics but ad players under the guidance of a strong HC.

I think joyce has the potential to be a big positive. he will pick the right players I.e. phillips and is not too attached to one or two athletes but will make it a whole team approach.

if u choose to accept cliques and players thinking they are above team rules etc. you will never have team success.

Reply #418991 | Report this post

Highlighter  
Years ago

Buckle?
Lucas?
Gary Fox even?
Someone with half a clue about womens basketball for starters! Brendans last few seasons as a coach in the NBL were not anything to hang his hat on, so how he has been appointed is beyond me. Looking forward to seeing how he goes, but for now, it seems like a dumb move for the Opals!
I'm also happy to be proven wrong, but just can't see them improving enough to beat Team USA under Brendan's leadership.

Reply #418993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they won't be USA too old/ not talented enough.

Reply #418995 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

I would have liked Agier or Brown but it didn't happen. In Joyce's favour is that he shouldn't be affected by cliques and history.

It's a pain that so many of our players have WNBA experience, because there's too much emphasis on isolation plays and we don't have too many who will win them.

Our strength probably lies more in passing and movement. If Joyce can limit the amount of iso plays and get LJ and the others to move the ball and be unselfish then I'll consider his appointment a success.

Reply #419007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think joyce's system will be sound to what Australia and international bball requires

I worry a little about how he will go managing/ leading a female team as he has never done it before. though as I've stated above I see his appointment as a positive like you stated hoopie regarding the fact he will have a clean slate with all players. fresh ideas etc.

Reply #419008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a bad appointment I think

Two assistants to be
Lucas
Cotter

Reply #419010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is that confirmed?

or just your thoughts? Either way I like it.

Reply #419014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apparently Joyce isn't totally void of experience of coaching womens teams, I have read he coached Gold Coast U/23 Women in 2009 and HC of Somerset College Girls in 2009-10.
So its not like he has never coached a team of female basketballers before

Reply #419015 | Report this post

Rick  
Years ago

I notice that in the article that he wants Suzy Batkovic to continue with the Opals. He must not have seen her play in London! Yes, she does well in the WNBL where she can use her size to push others around but she has been found wanting at elite International level and we would be better off putting forward a younger player with potential.

Reply #419016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My whisper is assistants to be Brondello and Molloy

Reply #419018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

heard more than once phillips is not a team player and is more trouble than she is worth, so perhaps she won't be on the team.

Reply #419021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

seemed like a team player when they won the NBA champs with her playing a major role...

maybe not the sort of team player Carrie wants ;)

Reply #419023 | Report this post

POP  
Years ago

Re Phillips - helps if you make yourself available for training camps.

Can't see that expectation changing under Joyce. Hope not, anyway.

Reply #419026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Terrible appointment IMO. Would have preferred Phil Brown in this role. Has already established rapport with senior & junior Opals & would have began the transition process of the older Opal players to a more youthful look. Time will tell with this specific appointment!

Reply #419038 | Report this post

Wayne  
Years ago

coach

My whisper is assistants to be Brondello and Molloy

cotter

Reply #419041 | Report this post

Pie Cart  
Years ago

Another Marty Clarke in the making.

Reply #419044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wonder if s0j is a chance for a sex change?

Reply #419046 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

We don't have to spend a season together
Use Phillips and Taylor and we'd be pretty good .

Reply #419050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon said: "the reason j0yce is not a bad appointment is that he has no prior connections or if u will favorites. he will break up the cliques and bitchiness within the opalsground which iimpacted their performance in london. imo browny unlucky to miss out. agler probably wanted too much. j0yce is an interesting appointment and will provide a new direction and leadership"

funny that in an interview he said his focus was on LJ, Kristi, Penny & Suzi... doesn't sound like he is thinking about the future players like Liz, Jenna and Kath McLeod.

terrible appointment! terrible

Reply #419052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

kath macleod really?

Reply #419061 | Report this post

Bunny  
Years ago

Time Will Tell. Joyce will give the Opals a shake up and hard nose approach to the game. Not sure Cotter and Molly - as both have not been involved with the Womens side for a while, but 1 would be good and add Brondello and Lucas - as have all competitions covers(WNBA&WNBL)and a great brains trust. We need to take example from AFL and US Collage system and get more coaches with expertise in different areas involved to be more successful.

Reply #419069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yer agree with bunny regarding the make up of the staff

Reply #419082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DoJ?

With three daughters of his own - one aged 22 and twins aged 20 - Joyce does have experience coaching girls and women.

"They all played for Illawarra and made NSW junior teams," he said.

"I have coached girls from under-8s to 25-year-olds."

His more recent involvement in high performance programs also took him across both genders.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/brendan-joyce-named-as-new-head-coach-of-the-australian-opals/story-fndekpx4-1226644208268

Reply #419084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BRENDAN Joyce could not be happier about the number of Australian women basketballers playing in the world's premier league, the WNBA.

In stark contrast to his predecessors as head coach of the Opals, Joyce, in fact, wants to see more Australians playing in the US pro league.

"I want them playing in the WNBA and knowing they have the ability to compete successfully with the best players in the world," he said today.

"What could be better?"

Joyce said succeeding against the best while simultaneously demystifying players and opponents they otherwise may only see every two years at a world championship or Olympics only could be positives for the Opals program.

"We've had players doing well over there for years and that is great to be competing on that elite stage," he said.

Both Jan Stirling, who led the Opals from 2000-08 and won the world championship gold medal in 2006, and Joyce's immediate predecessor Carrie Graf, were considerably less enthusiastic about Opal involvement in the WNBA, the absence of those players from the Australian scene inhibiting national team preparations.
In some instances of Olympic or world championship years, there even was an insistence potential Opals stay at home.

"I don't think that's realistic when a sportsman or woman only has a limited window in terms of their maximum earning capacity," he said.

"That window is usually even smaller for elite women athletes so that expectation to have them miss playing in a league such as the WNBA is not one I share."
------

doesn't seem that he will be taking the line that we have seen over recent years - give up a season of WNBA if you want to go to the Olympics. It will be interesting to see what impact that has on things

Reply #419089 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Sounds pretty good .

Reply #419090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

good on him

graf was a joke

Reply #419092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As long as Erin Phillips gets a gig on the team I am happy. Graf not choosing her in London said a lot about her as a coach.

Glad Graf is GONE. Not sold on Joyce either. Gary Fox would be an interesting choice.

Reply #419094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

fox is a seedy old dude

Reply #419096 | Report this post

music maestro  
Years ago

jans line with the wnba was correct at the time in 2005-6 but this is 2013 and the new coach is on the money - the wnba has moved ahead since 2006 and college and the wnba hold far greater profile and development internationally now than then.

who can argue that so many players have improved their handle since going stateside the last few years - phillips, hodges, bishop - jarry will be next

new coach is on the money with that call - and that mentality will keep us up with team USA.

that is why the aussies are doing well and probably doing better than other countries internationals and why we are starting to see some stateside players trickle through to the wnbl here.

friendships and networks will lead to usa players considering the wnbl as an option - whilst we dont offer big money - we have a healthy comp and a great aussie summer lifestyle - which will appeal to some in a northern hemisphere winter.

Reply #419097 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

j0yce makes for a pretty good troll, I'll give him that much. I'm certainly raging over this.

Reply #419103 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Being busy."Rolling out the red carpet to welcome Erin Phillips back." ADLNow.

Reply #419140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Funny how he was rejected for Logan Thunder job but gets Opals job, WTF!!!!

Reply #419215 | Report this post

Tmk  
Years ago

I'm wondering when Timmsy's going to step out of the shadows as an assistant and put her hand up for a head coaching job.

If she had put her hand up vs Joyce it's no contest.

Reply #419292 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

"If she had put her hand up vs j0yce it's no contest."
That's true, but probably not in the sense that you meant it.

Reply #419296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dunkin Dan your a funny man.

Reply #419330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But Joyce is more likely to raise his fist

Reply #419331 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:37 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754