Whitey
Years ago

Dirk taking pay cut.

I saw an article on espn that dirk is going to take a major pay cut after next season, what are people's thoughts on Cuban being able to get dwight and or Chris Paul to Dallas this off season, and then sign all three to long term deals in 2015?

Topic #31701 | Report this topic

BALLER#3  
Years ago

Gentleman Dirk at his finest!

Hes done it once, and they won the championship. He knows he cant get paid 20 mil and have a shot at winning again before he retires so why not. I think they have a shot at signing a couple of big free agents this offseason and/or next off season.

I hope they get a good point guard and a defensive center, then hopefully retain mayo off the bench. This in a way will emulate the 2011 champ team.

Reply #419273 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Dwight seems to be really good for team morale haha

Reply #419279 | Report this post

Whitey  
Years ago

I totally agree Baller, the stars have recognised that they can't have a max contract and have cap space to win a chip.

Reply #419293 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

@Baller#3 : Why play Mayo off the bench? If they get a decent PG, Mayo can still start at his natural SG position.

As for getting Howard, I think Cuban is too smart for that. If he does go for Howard, tell him from the get-go that he will be second, if not third option on offense and he has to be able to deal with that. No whining. All they need from him is big O & D rebound numbers, shot-blocking/altering and the occasional offensive spurt. I really believe Dwight is a cancer, even Kobe couldn't get him to buy into being non-selfish.

Reply #419294 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

As much as I hate to say it, because I liked him before the start of this season, Mayo is an absolute cancer. Don't know about his contract situation, but give him the flick if possible.

Seeing as Dirk wants to instil this 'playing with passion and all for the team' type concept, get in guys who play ball with heart. May not be a finals team right off the bat, but it will be endearing to the fans and will hopefully get them back on side.

Reply #419300 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I don't see any big name free agents ending up in Dallas.

Reply #419305 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Lmao at the last sentence of your post speed44

Reply #419312 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Ingles, do you still want to be the little shit that everyone hates? Keep it up champ.

Why do you disagree with Speed?

Reply #419317 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

> calls dwight a cancer and selfish
> calls kobe unselfish

THE IRONY

Reply #419320 | Report this post

Raichu  
Years ago

Does Cuban want to babysit Howard?

Form sees howard running around following shaqs path,
Next up Miami, Phoenix, Cleveland, Boston

Reply #419412 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Well, I'm not sure that the new CBA allows a player to restructure their contract downward anymore (I know Pierce isn't allowed to in Boston).

So Dirk can't reduce his salary until the end of next season, which is too late to help land Paul or Dwight.

They currently have Dirk, Marion, Carter and two scrubs signed next season for a total of about $37.2m.

Mayo has a player option for $4.2m, but you'd think he will opt out and want more to stay in Dallas.

They also have to make qualifying offers to Collison and Beaubois at just over $3m each if they want to keep them one more year.

Factor in the cap holds for their draft picks and the other players required to bring the roster up to minimum numbers and they will be up around $45m at the very least (probably more though).

I think the cap is going to be about $60m, so probably the absolute max they can offer a FA is $15m, which I doubt is enough for either Paul or Dwight.

If they did manage to land either, they'd only be able to hold onto Mayo if they have his Bird Rights.

Cuban having deep pockets they could probably keep Collison on too. The rest of the roster would be vet minimum players.

So if they somehow landed Dwight cheap, the roster would be:

Dwight Scrub
Dirk Scrub
Marion Scrub
Mayo Carter
Collison Scrub

Not too bad, but zero depth and not enough outside shooting to contend IMO.

Reply #419417 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Every team carter has gone to has gotten worse with him.

> Went to New Jersey after a few finals appearances and that franchise become medicore when they got him
> Went to orlando in 09 after they made the finals. Lost in the ECF the first year with Carter
> Went to Phoenix after they went to the WCF (and were robbed in game 6) and they missed the playoffs.
> Went to Dallas after they won the title. Dallas were a 7 seed the next season with Carter

Reply #419426 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:36 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754