Anonymous
Years ago

YOUR mock draft

Ok, put your NBA cap on, whats your own version of the mock draft for say the first 5 or so picks?????

For me.
#1 CLE - Nerlens Noel (but should take Otto Porter or Victor Oladipo)
#2 ORL - Trey Burke (great pick)
#3 WAS - Otto Porter (could go with Oladipo as well)
#4 CHA - Ben McLemore (feel sorry for the kid if this pans out)
#5 PHX - Victor Oladipo (probably the best prospect in the draft)

Topic #31733 | Report this topic

Ingles13  
Years ago

I'm happy for Oladipo @ 5

Reply #419814 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

#1 CLE - Nerlens Noel
#2 ORL - Ben McLemore
#3 WAS - Otto Porter
#4 CHA - Victor Oladipo
#5 PHX - Cody Zeller
#6 NOP - Trey Burke
#7 SAC - Anthony Bennett

Reply #419822 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

I'm currently in the process of doing a full 60 pick one myself, but my current top 14 is:

1. Cleveland Cavaliers - Nerlens Noel

The Cavs win the lottery again and get to add Nerlens Noel. The Cavs were so high on Otto Porter and will consider him here but at the end of the day will find Noel too hard to pass on. I haven't bought into the Noel hype as much as everyone else has but a defensive dynamo to anchor the Cavs into the playoffs is crucial. Hopefully Noel can add some muscle to his frame. Working himself into a Chris Bosh type shape should be the goal. If Noel can do this, he’ll be deserving of this number 1 pick because of his influence on the defensive end. There are obvious flaws in his offensive game but that’s not why he’s being drafted number 1. The Cavs won’t pass on him and add another very influential piece to a very young and exciting roster.

2. Orlando Magic – Trey Burke

Losing the lottery is almost a win for Orlando. This allows them to take Trey Burke who they’ve fallen in love with ever since Marcus Smart went back to college. Burke will be the point guard of the future and will be given every opportunity to learn from Jameer Nelson over the next few years. He’s my favourite player in the draft and I’m excited by this pick. Burke is as clutch as they come and as Orlando look to rebuild, Burke will rise to the challenge and lead this franchise into the future.

3. Washington Wizards – Otto Porter

Could there have been a bigger winner in the lottery? Washington not only jumped from eighth to third but are now in a position to add the best player in the draft to address their biggest need. Porter can do just about everything. A solid all-round scorer, great athlete, hard worker, good defender and perfect running mate for John Wall and Bradley Beal. The Wizards are starting to get real exciting and with a full year of John Wall at the point, the playoffs are certainly not out of the question.

4. Charlotte Bobcats – Ben McLemore

McLemore could easily be the best player in this draft and is another of my favourites. Charlotte, despite falling out of the top 3 land their perfect fit. McLemore is a great scorer, a good shooter, outstanding athlete and is loaded with defensive potential. Combining him with Walker and Kidd-Gilchrist forms a formidable perimeter trio that will bring some excitement to Charlotte. Charlotte may have looked like losers in the lottery, but they’ll be winners on draft day with this pick.

5. Phoenix Suns – Cody Zeller

Zeller blew people away with his size and athleticism at the combine. I’ve had Zeller to the Suns for a long time, even when they looked like getting the 4th pick. Zeller can score in the post and in face up looks with potential to extend his range out the 3pt land. Zeller adds athleticism to the Phoenix front court and is a pretty good fit. The Suns could go for some wing help with Oladipo but I just can’t seem them passing on Cody here.

6. New Orleans Pelicans – Victor Oladipo

Who knows what is going to happen with Eric Gordon. He doesn’t want to be in New Orleans, I’m sure as hell he doesn’t want to be a Pelican (who does) and the franchise who traded Chris Paul for him is growing sick and tired of his 'injuries’ and body language. Oladipo makes Gordon expendable despite not having the same scoring ability. Oladipo and Anthony Davis can help turn around the defensive fortunes of this franchise and both offer something on the offensive end as well, one of the reasons that makes both so valuable. If Oladipo is taken with this pick, the Pelican’s have gobbled up the right fish.

7. Sacramento Kings – Anthony Bennett

Trust Sacramento to take the guy who I dislike the most and who I feel is the most likely to be a bust. I don’t see Sac-Town’s fortune changing any time soon, especially with this pick. On paper is makes sense. The Kings add toughness and a go who can play the 3/4, two areas that the Kings aren’t real great in (are there any areas though?). Unfortunately on court I don’t see Bennett’s game translating to the next level. Happy to be wrong and for the King’s sake I hope I am.

8. Detroit Pistons – Michael Carter-Williams

Moving Brandon Knight off the ball turned out to be a positive for the Pistons offensively, unfortunately it forces them a step back defensively. Adding Carter-Williams, a 6’6 point guard is a massively favourable pick for Detroit. MCW allows Knight to play off the ball on offense, yet guard the point guards on defense. Carter-Williams is loaded with defensive potential and if he can make the switch from Boeheim’s 2-3 zone to straight out, in your face man defense, this pick is going to be a great one. Carter-Williams is one of few players who I believe has star potential, unfortunately he’ll only go as far as his jump shot can take him. Look out for Detroit next year, they are due for a playoff berth.

9. Minnesota Timberwolves – Kentavious Caldwell-Pope

Some may say this is a reach for the T-Wolves but I love this pick. KCP can score from just about anywhere. He has a great 3 point shot that will spread the floor for Love and Rubio’s penetration. What makes him even more valuable is the fact that he is a two way player. He is a tough defender that has the potential to grow even more at this end of the floor. Despite the threat of losing Pekovic in free agency, this is a great pick for Minny.

10. Portland Trailblazers – CJ McCollum

These two have been paired together for so long now. Portland need some serious scoring power off the bench and would love to have McCollum as that man. He offers scoring in so many ways and is also a worthy candidate to replace Lillard when he needs a breather. Behind their starters, Portland lack any kind of depth and McCollum just helps them in so many ways.

11. Philadelphia 76ers – Alex Len

Alex Len is a little bit of Andrew Bynum insurance. Having said that he’s a handy player in his own right. Offering the unique ability to shoot from range and play with his back to the basket, Len can be an offensive threat from the get-go. He sets great on-ball screens which will be great for Jrue Holiday and also has the athleticism to roll hard and finish at the rim. Len isn’t the most gifted defender when required to slide his feet but he will protect the rim for Philly and that’s all they’ll ask from their first round pick.

12. Oklahoma City Thunder – Mason Plumlee

Another pairing I’ve had locked together for a while now. I know Kelly Olynyk and Steven Adams are still on the board but I just love what Plumlee offers the Thunder. His athleticism, his effort, his intensity and his ability to finish around the rim is everything that Kendrick Perkins isn’t and with their lack of athleticism up-front the Thunder’s biggest concern, Plumlee is a great fit for this team.

13. Dallas Mavericks – Steven Adams

Don’t be surprised if Dallas and Milwaukee switch picks, however I feel Dallas’ biggest need is a legitimate prospect at the 5. Despite not really buying into Darren Collison as their starting PG, Adams offers Dwight Howard insurance and is a guy that actually looks pretty good next to Dirk Nowitzki. Adams has enough athleticism to protect the rim and make up for Nowitzki’s lack of rebounding; he’s capable in the post and on the elbow and perhaps most importantly, has a really bright future. If Dwight goes to Dallas the Mavs would probably go for a PG here, but with Atlanta, Houston and LA more likely destinations, I say Adams is a likely pick for the Mavs.

14. Utah Jazz – Shabazz Muhammad

I am stoked by this pick. Muhammad may not be as good as everything thinks but I definitely think he’s the best player left at this point. With all the flaws and negativity surrounding him, there is no doubt Muhammad comes into the league with the desire to be the best and with the potential to go pretty close. His dedication and work ethic is something that excites me as a Utah fan and despite the need for a PG, there’s no passing Shabazz at this point.

Reply #419829 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

great post AK-47

Reply #419843 | Report this post

Rod  
Years ago

I am finding it hard to do one this year because I think there will be a lot of trades due to the poor talent level.

I really believe Cleveland will trade their pick, possibly with Varejao in a package - maybe they will pick for another team. They have a very young team already but they need help for Irving, Thompson, Waiters etc NOW, not a guy who will develop in 3yrs.

The next thing that could happen is a team picking Noel just so they can tank and have a better chance of getting Wiggins in the number 1 pick next year.

A weird draft to predict.

Reply #419845 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Rod, I highly doubt they will trade away both Varejao and the first pick. What other big men will they have then? Besides, Varejao is the only one who really goes out and takes the game on. They need more leaders like him who set the tone and play hard, because they are an immature team. Moving him should not even be on the table.

Also, wasn't there talk a while ago that Shabazz would be number 1? Granted it was a while ago, but what happened?

Reply #419846 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Love Oladipo's engine wouldn't be surprised if henny picks him up at the #2

Reply #419948 | Report this post

Raichu  
Years ago

Doubtful Noel will be the same player he was before the injury. Not fussed about this years draft , only looking at Steven Adams. If he gets on a team that needs him.
Would love him to team up with Nikola Vucevic

Reply #419959 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:08 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754