Choppy Galopy
Years ago

Stefan Osborne

News that he is going to Indiana Uni, Pennsylvania.

Well known from Ballarat-Geelong area.

Congrats.

Topic #31746 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is true, fantastic news for a kid that has never given up after many knock backs from State and rep teams and at one stage a domestic team in u/16 didn't pick him for the State championship.

Reply #420070 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Any link to a story that confirms this?

Reply #420080 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Struggling to believe that the kid is going to College with that hard luck story. Considering all the adversity, shouldn't he have auditioned for the voice or something?

Reply #420085 | Report this post

Oberon74  
Years ago

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=667763649906920&set=a.142625075754116.30427.141222725894351&type=1&theater

A facebook post from Corio Bay Stingrays...

Reply #420088 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

LC, you'd be in the know. What is the school and conference like. Div 1?

Reply #420089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HO, it is a true story, not a hard luck one. It just demonstrates the politics in basketball. A reason as to why he switched from Basketball Geelong to Corio Bay. The best part of the story is he took his domestic team from Corio Bay to the same tournament, played and beat his GABA club in Rovers coached by Col Darrington by 40 pts and won the tournament back to back.

Reply #420091 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Anon, was taking the piss... good luck to him. I've noted here before that he has done well for CB in Championship.

So you are talking about Vic Country Club Championships? - you mentioned a state championship?

Reply #420092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry yes Vic Country Club Championship. Didn't remember the actual name of the tournament but it was that.

Reply #420093 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

And BTW, it may not demonstrate the politics in basketball at all. Maybe the kid had a shit attitude back then, maybe he was a poor trainer, maybe his parents were difficult...

Not for a minute saying he was or they were but you can't just assign every setback to "basketball politics". Thats convenient, or bias...

Reply #420094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'll take column A thanks - convenience...

Reply #420097 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

D2 school...

Reply #420102 | Report this post

18 year old  
Years ago

How old is he? I thought you could only go to college straight after year 12?

Reply #420106 | Report this post

Choppy Galopy  
Years ago

No it's not entirely unusual. Sometimes the offers coming out of Y12 or the USA version may not be to your liking or do not actually eventuate into anything firm. The player may opt for a Grad-Program year which can be had at many of the academies. The academies usually cater for all ages and have their own teams.

Reply #420107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will lose years of eligibility playing champ. Former youth player of year in Big V champ lost two years for the two seasons of champ played. Going to a D2 this year for his second and final year.

Reply #420157 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Great kid, very dedicated to the sport, best of luck to him...

Reply #420181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good luck to the kid. I've played with him for around the past 5 years and he has improved out of sight. Has put in so much time working on his game and deserves this chance. Good luck Stef. Hutch

Reply #420198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah Stef!!! Great work.

Reply #420352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah Stef! Great work, this kid has worked his butt off. Sure he will do great guns.

LC, you seem to put down D2? Are you aware that all the Boomers that played college ball apart from Mills and Delly from last years Olympic campaign all played D2 college basketball?

Reply #420353 | Report this post

psycho  
Years ago

Worthington and Barlow played D2
mills,Delly, Baynes,Maric played D1the rest including ingles didn't play college at all. Have to admit wortho is a great player but future boomers teams will have almost all D1 players. Good luck to Stefan.

Reply #420359 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

LC didn't put D2 down, he just answered my question.

BTW, some D2 is better than D1. I think both Worthington and Barlow played at Metro state - a very good D2 school and good conference I understand.

Its important that when you read about a kid playing College that you take into account where they are going. "College Ball" is not all good quality ball - some of it is just junk. Some D1 is pretty poor, some D2 is absolute crap.

Reply #420363 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

@Ho - Well put...you need to take into context school, conference etc becuase "College Ball" doesn't mean superstar or an automatic NBL gig when you return...unfortuntaly many kids think college means they are going to "make it" when the reality is very differnt.

I know some go for the "experience" and thats all well and good but from a basketball prospective you need to make sure it is a good fit.

Best of luck to stefan and hope it works out well for him.

Reply #420367 | Report this post

Sting what?  
Years ago

Great news by Stefan. The Stingrays organisation is wrapped to see him take the next step which excites a lot of the juniors at the club and give them belief that they can do the same thing.

In regards to LC, he didn't expand on the answer of D2 school... It came across as negative.

Agree with some D2 schools are better than D1.
Some stats from IUP that seem impressive.

http://www.iupathletics.com/splash.aspx?path=mbball&id=splash_49
2012-2013 PSAC Tournament Champs
5 straight NCAA tournament appearances
4 consecutive top 25 national finishes
4 consecutive PSAC west division titles
2010 Division 2 National runner up
2011 National player of the year Darryl Webb
2012 NABC Division 2 All American Ashton Smith.

Also an article from the local paper about Stefan:
http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2013/05/25/365803_local_sports.html

Reply #420382 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Holly cow Sting What, did you check out the roster??

Blake Vedder as a Junior at 7' 3" and 235 lbs, he is a giant...!

Reply #420386 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Good luck to him....poor SAT score!? wow hope the bball works out for him.

Reply #420389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Found a nice website of Stefan Osborne that was made:
http://www.worldnet.com.au/stef_website/index.htm

The page features a video link on the home page and team mates of his who have played or are currently playing College.

The coach's comments sections are interesting especially from coaches and players with high creditentials referring to his work ethic and feeling.

Got me thinking and thought this was a good way to approach Colleges if they don't have the resources.

Reply #420479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good website, his videos are great and shows plenty of skill and hard work.

Not sure if this website helped him get recruited because he also went on a tour with Sedale Threatt before xmas period and played against junior colleges, high schools etc where there were college scouts watching the games.

Good luck to him!

Reply #420556 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Thanks HO. Yep - I just answered the question raised.

I have never said anything negative about D2 ball or schools. I think any opportunity to live and breathe the sport that you love whilst obtaining a college education is second to none, and in most cases you can't go wrong.

As pointed out, there are many D2 schools are superior to some that play D1 hoops. You just have to look at the out of conference schedules for D1 hoops - they often also play D2 schools and sometimes lose!

Personally, I am just more interested in following D1 basketball in general, and of course all the Aussie playing in it.

Reply #420594 | Report this post

Jay  
Years ago

For anyone interested, UPenn is a D1 Ivy League school, not a D2 school as referenced before. It has one of the best pedigrees academically, and is a great opportunity for Stef; coming into a team that had an average record last year, he could see some decent minutes immediately.

Reply #432840 | Report this post

Sting what?  
Years ago

Jay, it is a D2 school but it's standard is regarded as a mid range D1 school. They play practice games against Duke, Maryland etc in practice games which is exciting for Stefan to play against elite D1 schools. He is also red shirted for season 1.

Reply #432841 | Report this post

Sting what?  
Years ago

Jay, I can see your confusion with UPen and IUP. He is attending Indiana University of Pennsylvania not University of Pennsylvania.

Reply #432843 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Good luck to Stef, flying out today for a bright future. His Stingrays team mates will miss him I'm sure...

Reply #432847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ha ha bear they might see a few more shots now....

Reply #432857 | Report this post

Sting what?  
Years ago

Only 10 or so shots anon at 50.3%

Reply #432907 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I would just ignore the comment Sting, Stef can shoot the lights out, we all know that...

I recall a few years ago he went over to the States and beat their best at consecutive foul shots for a record or something, can't remember the details, but that boy can knock the fly out of a spider's grip!

Reply #432962 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Stef looking to saty down at Corio Bay and play in the offseason or is that ruled out by his college?

If he continues his curent development path you'd think Supercats would come calling as a back up behind Owusu.

Reply #433001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stefan has been offered to play with Supercats when he was 16 but declined. One thing that will never happen is S.Osborne suiting up for the Supercats.

Reply #433046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well surely he"ll be looking to go SEABL......juniors to seniors is very different so hippos fully he can get over something that happened back in the day

Reply #433057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stefan has been offered to play with Supercats has he? The SEABL team? Really?
Careful not to tell lies...

Reply #433075 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:51 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754