Predictions?

Topic #31748 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Predictions;

Boys
SA Metro - 7th
SA Country - 10th

Boys teams are quite small and will struggle. The standard of the competition will be quite strong with NSWM boys looking the team to beat.

Girls
SA Metro - 3rd
SA Country - 5th

Girls look strong, finished high at January tournaments. Vic Met wont be big but will be team to beat.

Reply #420095 | Report this post

the_big_show  
Years ago

Yeah liking the SA Country girls group to finish at least in the top 4-6 teams. The SA Country boys group will still struggle to wins games agaisnt the Tasmania's and Queenslands but should finish in top 8-10.

Reply #420099 | Report this post

It's amazing  
Years ago

Any Thon Makers, Ben Simmons or Dante Exums coming through in this age group?

Reply #420123 | Report this post

Bruce  
Years ago

SA Country girls look strong with 8 of the 10 playing metro ,so does that make it a second metro team ??

Reply #420124 | Report this post

Well done  
Years ago

Well if country got their shit together and developed all these kids properly then you would have to worry would you.

Reply #420126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heard a fair bit about a kid by the name of Giordan De Bruin.

Is he in this age group?

Reply #420132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The standouts are

william white
Isaac Humphries

these guys are something special

Reply #420155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac will have a good nationals
hes almost 7 foot and can play
reasonable in the post & good out of PNR action
be interesting to see how the young coach goes utilising the talent which he has got.

Reply #420156 | Report this post

The Truth  
Years ago

Not surprised to see 10 Sturt players make the teams with 2 Sturt coaches.

Reply #420186 | Report this post

Ariel 80  
Years ago

Considering Sturt won both Under 16 Boys and Girls at State Champs, I am not surprised either.

Reply #420202 | Report this post

They won the U16 boys summer season as well as having first and second in Div 2. The Truth has made a very good point. THe best teams should have the most players in the state team - not every team equally represented. Well said

Reply #420213 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Team from Victoria Metro - Men's

Mitchell Angleton - Werribee

Nick Dane - Melbourne

Jack Dean - Diamond Valley

Josh Hannon - Knox

Lachlan Jones - Knox

Aidan O'Carroll - Eltham

Andrew Panayiotou - Melbourne

Daniel Robertson - Knox

Timothy Taranto - Sandringham

Kieran Urquhart - Kilsyth

Team from Victoria Country - Men's

Kye Baulch - Geelong

Oliver Bidmade - Warrnambool

Matthew Bond - Traralgon

Benjamin Coates - Wodonga

Tristan Fisher - Ballarat

Bailey Guinea - Ballarat

Tristan Lloyd - Warragul

Kieran Longmuir - Corio Bay

Thomas Pupavac - Geelong

Samuel Short - Ballarat

Reply #420390 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Victoria Country u16 women's Team

Emilie Baird - Southern Peninsula

Chloe Bibby - Horsham

Millie Culliver - Traralgon

Tayla Gilbert - Southern Peninsula

Chantel Horvat - Geelong

Grace McRae - Southern Peninsula

Chloe Molloy - Seymour

Genna Ogier - Shepparton

Carly Sanders - Geelong

Casey Sherriff - Traralgon

Reply #420392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

at least Goodman wont screw it up like Kelly did. Best team = worst result.

Reply #420395 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

And the Victoria Metro u16 women's Team

Monique Andriulou - Melbourne
Georgia Dale - Eltham
Najvada George - Melbourne
Jessica Harley - Melbourne
Talia Harris - Eltham
Anneli Maley - Eltham
Emma Pearce - Bulleen
Maddison Rocci - Werribee
Yasmin Tan - Knox
Courtney Wragg - Bulleen

Reply #420400 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

No Dandenong players in either Metro team,that could be a first!!!

Reply #420406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also a lack of players from Bendigo is rare.

Reply #420407 | Report this post

Penny Dropper  
Years ago

Isaac Humphries has been labelled as an NBA talent by numerous state and national sources. Defined as someone who is ahead of Andrew Bogut development at this same time of Bogut's career.

I suspect the NSW Metro crew will need to look at how the U18's used Jonah Bolden and ensure the supporting cast is there to pick up the slack and ensure a gold medal.

On the women's side Anneli Maley (daughter of Paul Maley) will be one to watch. Could carry the VIC Metro girls all the way to the Finals.

Reply #420410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"No Dandenong players in either Metro team,that could be a first!!!"
Not when you consider who the coach is and what happened to him at Dandy, the politics of state selections.

Reply #420412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

most kids were ahead of bogut in u16's.

lol at random de bruin comment, good one dad.

Reply #420419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SA Country Girls whilst talented, they have a very ordinary coaching group which have proven to not get the best out of their talented groups. Unfortunately that is always the case with the SA Country Programs, lack of quality coaching will always get found out on the big stage at the Nationals!

Reply #420425 | Report this post

Go for it  
Years ago

Hahaha, is the coach of Vic Country from Sth Pen???

Reply #420426 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Players to watch ?

Reply #420431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes he is from southern pen.

Reply #420432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sth penn girls producing good players in top 16s/bottom 18s. That group placed in the classic last year in 16s so not a huge surprise.

Reply #420464 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Sth Pen not PRODUCING good players.
All the hard work done at Frankston, then get poached promising state team. Guess the move payed off!!!

Reply #420476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

dont think any of those girls mentioned are from frankston? if they live in the country, and end up at frankston, who is doing the 'poaching'

Reply #420478 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

3 played rep at Frankston wanting to play at a higher standard. Left at U/16 age group to Sth Pen. You only have to live 10 minutes out of Frankston to be considered country.They live closer to Frankston than than do Rosebud.
Get your facts right!!!

Reply #420480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with the truth as well, i think state should be more like sapsasa where everyone can get a spot.

I even think the parents of kids that get cut should be allowed to call the coaches and have their child reinstated.

Sapsasa = sport for all and trips away for the teachers.

I see no reason why the best kids should be chosen,especially if their from Sturt.
how does one club have so many kids and coaches picked to represent their state.

Reply #420530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon above. Makes perfect sense especially when one Sturt Metro rep very recently transferred to the club where the state coach was from.

Reply #420531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Considering she made it last year too I hardly see it as a big surprise?

Reply #420534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the surprise is why do people think she was developed by Sturt!

Reply #420539 | Report this post

Dirty Sturty  
Years ago

I would doubt Sturt people would claim they have developed her at all.

Reply #420552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #420864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

can anyone name sa metro boys and girls teams please

Reply #420877 | Report this post

music maestro  
Years ago

go to basketball sa website

Reply #420880 | Report this post

Claire  
Years ago

They are up on Sporting Pulse

Reply #420881 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

#420476 - "Sth Pen not PRODUCING good players."

Not exactly true, i believe they have had 5 other state players over the past 12 months (U16's and U18's) with one of those going on to play for Australia at the FIBA Oceania games late last year. All of those players are born and breed Southern Pen kids.

I understand that some players have left Frankston and cleared to Southern Pen, but to say that it is because of promises of making state teams is a bit of a joke.

If my memory serves me correctly, the last two players that i know of that cleared to Southern Pen from Frankston actually started their junior basketball @ Western Port. Never the less, good to see them back at a Country Association.

All that aside, how about all three above named associations wish them luck at the up and coming nationals.

Reply #421438 | Report this post

Go for it  
Years ago

Gee, 3 clubs already, which clubs next.
That's teaching loyalty, good job parents!!!

Reply #421467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone see any talent at the Classics that you think will stand out in the Nationals??

Reply #422655 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The age group is pretty ordinary overall.

Reply #422657 | Report this post

PC  
Years ago

Good signs for both the metro and country girls teams following on from Classics...

Mavs take home the gold medal. They have the starting metro centre, and majority of the country team. Add in Sturt who came third. They have four girls in the metro team, and I believe (could be wrong) a country player as well.

Plus you then add in the SAM guard who was missing from Forestville due to Aus Camp and it looks like both of the girls team should be quite strong this year.

Certainly hope thats the case!

Reply #422682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern Pen played off for 15th/16th at classic - Say no more !!

Reply #422686 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Well and truly under a month till tip-off, who we got making the top 4?

Vic-M, SA-M, QLD-S, Vic-C

Reply #423891 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

And for the boys,

Vic-M, TAS, QLD-S, NSW-M

TAS being the wild card, but they are on the up from what i have seen in recent years.

Reply #423894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon 425.. Guess we will see in 6 days time.. :)

Reply #425422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guy from southern pen is a joke. Promised one kid that he could get her to Duke. Great pathway to Big V division 2.

Reply #425839 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Yeah sure he did mate, Chinese whispers mixed in with a disgruntled idiot.

What else you got for us buddy.

Reply #425919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ashke I suppose Sth Pen Youth League Women is all home grown as well. Last count 6 x (maybe 7) former Frankston Juniors running around on any given night. Great for these kids they are still playing - but an indictment on the Sth Pen program.

Reply #426215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

White, Froling and Humphries. Lookout for them

Reply #426244 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Definitely not home grown mate, never claimed them to be either i don't believe.

Why did so many players leave along with the coach? I suppose you will blame the Southern Pen U18's coach for this one also?

"he poached them"
"he promised them college gigs"

Or

"we should figure out why these players are leaving"
"maybe we could be doing something better to prevent this from happening again"

Reply #426305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North Queensland beat South Queensland in a practice match.

Reply #426358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most of these kids will either be having babies or working in Coles in five years so let them enjoy themselves without the pressure of hoop assassins who know the ins and outs of everything. This is not a massive life changing carnival, it's a fun experience and memories.

Reply #426360 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Yup, agree with the end of your post anon, sportsmanship and having the opportunity to play at the highest level they can is what we want, not just win/loss ratios...

Great story told to me by a kid who was blocked, went up to the kid who blocked him and said, 'nice one mate'

We can sometimes put too much pressure on 15 year olds, don't worry they all want to win, but it is nice to know they are having fun too...

Reply #426421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ashke It's great Southern Pen offer an opportunity to players from other clubs to continue playing the game of basketball. Not sure the YL team is the right place for them - should be for your own players. Sad state to have to recruit 90% of a YL team from outside.

Reply #426510 | Report this post

Bruce  
Years ago

What a disgraceful troll of a comment anon 360 -

"Most of these kids will either be having babies or working in Coles in five years so let them enjoy themselves without the pressure of hoop assassins who know the ins and outs of everything. This is not a massive life changing carnival, it's a fun experience and memories."

Having babies etc........

These kids are great young competitors most of who worked their butts off to get to Nationals , you are a " hoops assassin " with a comment such as that.
Many of you sit and judge teams and coaching groups with impunity , this is a great week for basketball generally , some will win , some will lose etc and guess what some of these kids probably work at Coles part time to help pay for their trip !!

Reply #426560 | Report this post

Btbal  
Years ago

Very, very scrappy plan from all teams so far. Tasmania look like they have sunk back to there normal position, no longer a top 4 threat! Looks like they might have just hit a patch of good players in the boys, as a Tasmanian I was hoping that the training programs had had something to do with it.... But maybe not!

Reply #426586 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:39 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754