Jack Toft
Years ago

R9 ABL Action

The table is so tight I think there's a number of games that could be the MOTR. It’s harder to pick than scab on the middle of your back. Eddie McGuire would be going ape if he was an ABL basketball fan.

Panthers-Lions
Women: The much awaited clash has arrived. At the end of the night one team will have opened their account with a win, the other will be hoping the second half of the season is better. Panthers to maul the Lioness cubs.
Men: Clash of the big cats tonight. Panthers need to turn their whisper into a shout and Lions were caught napping in the fourth quarter last round. Lions right up there and should win by 18 if they play their cards right. Bring the throaties so that the roar doesn’t turn into another soar throat in the fourth.

Tigers-Warriors
Women: I am expecting a fairly even game tonight with the Tigeresses looking to halt a 4 game slide. Warriors are deceptive in how much experience they have. Their squad has an average of 55 games per player, Tigeresses have just under 18, matching their average age. Tigers by 2.
Men: Rashad has the Tigers punching above their weight. Warriors think this is 2005 and has Tommy Waterhouse calling for the Vet. Should be a great game and with both teams putting on a show for the fans, this should be a high scoring affair. Tigers in the hunt, but with second spot on the table, Warriors, Wyatt not?

Sabres-Bearcats
Women: Bearcats with nowhere to run tonight. Sabrettes know games like these need to be won and will ration mercy like a nurse. Have Desi & Jess been sent a postcard "wish you were here"? Sturt too strong and of course if Sturt score 100, then it’s a free glass of bubbly and half a dozen oysters to Sturt fans.
Men: Sabres seem to like their slow season starts to lul teams into a false sense of secutiy, then attack when their opposition isn’t expecting it. The Bearcats have been the dominant force so far this season, but against Sturt at Pasadena, well anything can happen. Don’t know if DJ is back yet, but West look shaky without him. With DJ - West, if DJ is in Rotorua with Desi & Jess – Sturt.

Eagles-Flames
Women: The Flames looking for World Domination of the Adelaide basketball scene will be searching for a perfect season half. The Eagles are in second place, but might as well be last as the Flames pluck them alive without mercy tonight.
Men: What a game this will be! Flames? Eagles? I can't decide. I flip a coin, best of 3, best of 5? Home court the only variable and after Woodville whipped their butts last week, Eagles should be on the hunt and steal a win from the Flames. Better make sure the refs are on the ball.

Rockets-Mavs
Women: MOTR. This top 5 clash has everything you want in a game with the winner likely to take outright second spot. This should be tight, very tight. Tighter than a prom dress at a 30 year school re-union. Only real difference is the Mavs seem to do very well against the bottom 5 teams, but get held against the top 5 teams. Last time I checked Rockettes were Top 5 and “Big Bad Barry” has plans to keep it that way. Rockettes by 6.
Men: Mavs have been the whipping boys this year and the Rockets will welcome them to the Hillcrest dungeon of doom. Rockets fans can spank Pero’s boys very much. Pero, mistress wants her whip back afterwards, before the weekend is out.

Topic #31793 | Report this topic

ANON  
Years ago

pure gold Sir Jack Toft - keep up the top level work

Reply #420771 | Report this post

interested  
Years ago

so where are Desi & Jess!!!!!!

Reply #420775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DJ not playing for West.

Reply #420791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DJ playing for west

Reply #420793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No he's not

Reply #420800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and why not?

Reply #420806 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Yes he is

Reply #420813 | Report this post

fan  
Years ago

Desi is still at her day job so not sure why people think she is in NZ?

Reply #420816 | Report this post

Anun  
Years ago

DJ playing for Fresh FM

Reply #420818 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Geez I read this and thought the Panthers were playing tonight!!!

Reply #420820 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

I think the NZ reference is about the recently past legislation in NZ.

Reply #420838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would be a perfect fit at souths

Reply #420841 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

No, my reference was nothing to do with that. In a previous string someone said they had picked a gig up over there, or something. Maybe they were referring to that. Good luck to them if they did it.

Reply #420842 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

The timing of the girls leaving West and the stuff happening in NZ was around the same time.
Someone was trying to be smart and wrote it on hoops.
This was then taken as gospel and the reference even made it into one of the messenger newspapers.

Reply #420860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

West men to crush sturt even without DJ.

Reply #420882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

West men to crush sturt even without DJ.

Reply #420884 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

They couldn'r crush the Lions the other round. Sturt have improved as the season has gone on and there tends to be a switch installed in the neck of Sturt players that gets flicked from "good" to "evil" at home matches. They also knocked off Al Green's "Green Machine" at home.

What makes you think Westies will crush those blue baggers?

Reply #420922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We can all dream Jack :P

Reply #420952 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

That there's a switch?

Reply #420953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack, West's defence will grind Sturt down. Sturt simply do not have enough people who can post a winning score.

Reply #420974 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Agree

Reply #421039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any surprises from last nights action? A big scalp for the lady Mavs, a win for centrals ladies, lady flames looking at an undefeated season?

Reply #421160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where is Mia Newley? Looks they're missing her.

Reply #421162 | Report this post

Rock  
Years ago

In a tight game all night, Sturt leading most the way, West got it done in the last 3 minutes.

The only crush was the 'expert' that said West would do it easy... and West had DJ and Cadee...

Reply #421167 | Report this post

Bahahahah  
Years ago

Half way through the season and south girls without a win. Surely the south committee can't be thinking of given the coach another year. Can't achieve finals within the first three years of coaching this team must be time to force her to move on.

Unless of course she wants to blame everyone else like club, ex players an past coaches like she always does.

Go Centrals

Reply #421174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From what I know of Vicki, she tends to look herself before lblaming others. Whoever you are, it seems maybe you or your daughter may have expected more than you deserved. Didn't she take those girls in her first season to one win outside finals?? Two and a half seasons in, I don't really think she deserves such harsh judgements. West, Woodville, southern, Centrals and South will take another few seasons to reach where they want to be.

Reply #421179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bahahah post is clearly a personal attack on Souths coach. And we all know that personal attacks on coaches are due to something not going the way of the poster.

Reply #421180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was surprised at how good Sam Daly was last night. Hadn't seen him play in a while but he was a clear class above everyone on the court. Had a couple of very athletic dunks too.

Reply #421181 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

It was another great round of basketball. In the women's the North-Mavs games would have been excellent. Like I said before, if you're a Mavs fan then you can't complain your team isn't playing in exciting games and you're not getting value for money.
South & Centrals women could have gone either way and that game saw the debut of a very promising talent at Centrals.
Tigers & Warriors women could have gone either way as well, but Warrior's forced too many turnovers.
While the women's comp seems to have a number of gaps, the exciting thing is seeing a lot of juniors come through. There is an impressive list for "Rookie of the Year" award and judges will find it hard to find a clear winner.

In the men's, 3 of the 5 games were won by 6 points - that's two good shots. The final 5 for the men's comp will probably be determined by the last play on the last round and I reckon there will be a lot of noggin scratching to work out the splits and final positions.

Reply #421189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was at the South v Centrals women's games. Someone mentioned a youngster for Centrals debuting. Well unlucky for South yes, as she was the difference between the two.

Reply #421194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But weren't south supposed to be saved by the college players returning home??

Reply #421195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who ever said anything about being saved by these girls These girls are another 2 young girls for the future of this club. That is one thing the coach has done is bought some youth in that can be developed in time. Get a life people.

Reply #421196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So why aren't they playing??

Reply #421217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One has been, one injured, one had first game

Reply #421218 | Report this post

By Laws  
Years ago

I notice Petrie only played 6 seconds on Saturday night..

Did he get injured or is Pero utilising the rules to their full extent to qualify him..

Reply #421222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perp using rules , he played last 6 seconds if the first half, left for boomers camp sunday and didn't want to risk an injury but used it to add another game.

Borego rule in full effect

Reply #421223 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Ouch, you don't want to be known as "The 6 Second Man"

Reply #421225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Petrie played, he was suited ready to play at any time he was actively coaching took part in the game and qualified for finals regardless if he only hit court for 4seconds. had intended to get in early but was no opportunity within the last minute.

not a north supporter but certainly not Borrego. Petrie played, was there in uniform, warmed up. participated in time outs, coached etc. Borrego often was not there, warmed up in street shoes, sat and talked on her phone or ate an apple on the sidelines and once left at half time.

Reply #421231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So a flop isn't a flop if it made to look like its not a flop? And suiting someone up just to qualify for finals isn't just suiting someone up to qualify for finals if they play 6secs and participate in timeouts? Exactly same as Borrrgo situation just done smarter - never thought I'd associate smart with Pero. WOW!

Reply #421244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

got to say 244 you have it all wrong way wrong not a Borrego situation at all.

Reply #421248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree, the Borego issue happened because the coached lied about her attendance at the game, and then claimed she was 'ready to play' when she had no intention too.

Reply #421256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe he would have played more if the need was there. After last year where North ran out of qualified players during the finals due to injury and college call-ups why risk not having qualified players, especially someone as good as Petrie. Seems to me that Pero is smarter than most give him credit for.

Reply #421272 | Report this post

By Law  
Years ago

# 421256 - Pero acting within the revised By Laws as wass done with Borego last year..

You should be careful about what acusations you make without substance..

Reply #421494 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:34 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754