optional extras
Years ago

the good junior refs used to....

let the kids know in the lower / learning divs on Sat morning quickly know what they have done wrong.

A quick - " you cant step forward into the dribbler " sort of thing to the player can help greatly with their development.

Not seeing / hearing it much lately but IMO it works well.

Topic #31827 | Report this topic

hooked  
Years ago

u10 div 3.

got a call for a 5 second violation on the inbound play saturday morning!

Reply #421298 | Report this post

wot, after 10 seconds?

Reply #421300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shame really probably has a lot to do with BSA overall lack of support and referee coaching. Some great ref coaches out there under utilised and well a lot of court supers or experienced refs to busy with mobile phones to give back the quality they got when they were juniors.

Reply #421301 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

umpires who are so arrogant that never want to explain a call - often because they know was wrong but cant admit
toughen up you earn more respect by saying hey coach think was wrong sorry - instead of dont talk or the wave of the naughty boy finger by older refs who just so complex ridden and so insecure to converse

sad but true and no attempt to change which is more disappointing

Reply #421308 | Report this post

Fred  
Years ago

Anonymous as a Senior referee who would very much like to be involved more in helping junior umpires I am interested in you comment
Please elaborate on which officials are busy with mobile phones?
Sounds like your talking a lot of rubbish

On the subject, it comes down to having good UIC or as they now call them, Court Supervisors but of course if you pay monkeys then you get......

You know the saying

Court supervisors have recently had a large pay cut down to $12 per hour plus $1 for each game

Reply #421309 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

The best refs I have seen are those who constantly talk and encourage the U10's, espec those new to game.
I'm sure there is a bix 'mix' out there, but agree with Fred that UIC should be involved.
I bet they all "agreed" when asked to vote on a pay-cut. Not

Reply #421314 | Report this post

Fred  
Years ago

Did you say Vote on a pay cut?
haha
no they just got told in an email which tried to say that it was a pay increase

Fact is it was a pay cut for most and significant

Surely this kind of job should be paid at least minimum wages to attract good people & then be in a position to place KPI on them for the results

under 10's is an important grade to teach umpires how to communicate because you have to communicate much more at this level than just about any other

the problem is that they need good guidance because most umpires at this level are very young and have not developed adult skills yet

Reply #421317 | Report this post

optional extras  
Years ago

hangin around that is what i am on about - you ref u10/12/14 d3/4s different than u18 d 1.

just the player / parent / coach knowledge isnt usually there with those groups.

cant blame the refs for being a bit arrogant - crikeys the shit they get given at times is disgusting - sure they make mistakes but nobody is perfect.

Reply #421329 | Report this post

optional extras  
Years ago

hooked - IMO - at u10d3 level the ref should be telling the the junior to throw it in soon after about 3 secs - but then so should the coach.

Reply #421333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BSA treat them like shit no support, not even a real job "paid volunteers" get a pay cut deal with same shit, district pays less than social but I guess more chance of getting murdered for a poor call in social..

Reply #421357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

pay cut is a joke to UIC they are getting more to look at games,they earn twice as much as the umpires these days ,whats happened to the ref coaches not many around,most of them i know have been shafted.Seen decent referees in my day not stock isnt strong enough to make a technical foul these days.SOCIAL AND DISTRICT are struggling these days to get referees because of the abuse they receive weekly.

Reply #421424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To my understanding the pay cut was to be able to pay referee coaches but the stadium managers only get 1500 dollars a year for referee coaches an that's for all the stadiums they manage.
The concept was a good idea but not enough per year to get referee coaches out there especially on Saturday mornings
Some stadiums can't even have shadow referees (green shirt standing next to a grey shirt, so 3 umpires on game) because they have domestic/social to teach referees but its a big step from doing social/domestic to doing district and it is stupid to expect referees to come out an just be able to do it.

To the referees coaching the younger grades as they are playing
I try to get the referees to make the calls and than explain it to them
Coaches need to also teach them

Reply #431577 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:07 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754