JazzyJeff
Years ago

Kyrie Irving is coming!!!!

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/kyrie-irving8217s-father-says-nba-star-excited-by-trip-to-melbourne-to-run-coaching-clinics/story-fndekpx4-1226658622901

Looks like Boti has a scoop on Irving's Australian camps in July. Google search has revealed www.firstpickhoops.com.au as the place to register for it. Kids of Melbourne making out on this one.

Topic #31863 | Report this topic

bethdavis10  
Years ago

$220? Steep!

Reply #421948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reckon $220 a bargain. Camp will sell out.

Reply #421964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Such a random price point though, I mean he isnt doing this for the money. Only reason I can think is to keep the kids who dont really care away and make it more professional by getting the kids who genuinely love the game along.

Reply #421967 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Yeah. That's why the price is so high. Because we all know only rich kids are the ones who really love the game, not kids in impoverished areas, the NBA is living proof that poorer kids HATE the game lol

Reply #421975 | Report this post

Troll Basher  
Years ago

Seriously who cannot afford $220 for their kids dream??

Reply #421977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It will sell-out - not many chances to have a clinic with an NBA All-Star, future Olympian, etc.

Reply #421993 | Report this post

bethdavis10  
Years ago

I'm sure there are plenty of people who can't afford $220 for a one day camp, NBA player or not. I'm not convinced it will sell out. It depends on what their ceiling is. I imagine (speculation only) the price is so high because the organisers need to cover the cost of Kyrie and his Dad's airfare and accommodation.

Reply #422040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Id rather put $220 towards 2 x 1 hr individuals with a decent coach where my kid gets 1 on 1 attention, not have them be one of the sheep with little individual attention in a worship fest.

Reply #422046 | Report this post

Mr X  
Years ago

For $220 and the once in a lifetime factor it is good value. I understand the camp isn't for everyone but with 2 rep kids who idolize Kyrie and the NBA for me it's a birthday gift sorted for this year and a no brainer. Add that you get an autographed photo with Kyrie which will be another priceless piece of memorabilia in the eyes of kids, the price for me equals value. In comparison, my kids went on a AFL football camp last year which was $380 for two days run by two B-Grade AFL footballers. The camp was great and kids will do it again.

Reply #422057 | Report this post

Wayne  
Years ago

Kyrie Irving is coming!!!!

I'm sure there are plenty of people who can't afford $220 for a one day camp, NBA player or not. I'm not convinced it will sell out. It depends on what their ceiling is. I imagine (speculation only) the price is so high because the organisers need to cover the cost of Kyrie and his Dad's airfare and accommodation.

You are correct in regards to the airfares. They are flying first class airfares which will cost $25,000. Not a cheap camp, depends on what the other coaches do: coach or just stand around.

Reply #422058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Like a lot of these highy profile camps there is a lot of standing around and talking, a few basic drills that the kids have done a before anyway, and plenty of autograph signing and photo opportunities.

As far as real basketball value goes i'm a massive skeptic... But hey, its a chance to meet an NBA player i guess.

Reply #422062 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Bring out the super-stars for the players, and bring out guys like Ganon Baker for the coaches.

(For what it's worth, I got a lot out of Ganon's recent trip to Melbourne. I recommend him to any organisation that wants to go places.)

Reply #422065 | Report this post

JazzyJeff  
Years ago

I don't know about all you sceptics, but I can pay $280 a ticket to go see a 30 year past it Fleetwood Mac for two hours, $300 per kid to go to St Kilda Football Clinic or $220 for 2 days with an NBA All-Star. I checked out the coaching staff assisting him on the website, former Olympians, NBL & WNBL players.

At $110 per for a six hour day.....heck, I can't even get babysitting for that.

Reply #422066 | Report this post

bethdavis10  
Years ago

I'm not sceptical, I think it would be a great experience, and likely worth the money. Personally, I can't afford it, but seeing as my kid is under the age of nine anyway, I don't have to worry! :)

Reply #422081 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

$25,000 per first class seat? Don't know where you got that, but it's not that expensive for first class

Reply #422087 | Report this post

Wayne  
Years ago

Yes it is. $12,000 for first class la to melb. check it.

Reply #422088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If your all happy to waste the $$ then go for it. The only thing making it any different to a decent local clininc is who is there. You will not see anything special or learn anything different.
Its a rip off any way you look at it.

Reply #422090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forgive my ignorance but wouldn't it be better to have highly credentialed coaches running clinics to teach kids and not players???

Reply #422105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you'll find the camp has both

Reply #422123 | Report this post

(  
Years ago

nothing on offer for coaches (

Reply #422219 | Report this post

Uncle Drew  
Years ago

I think some of you parents are missing the point. Who cares if Kyrie can't really teach any better than some highly credentialed coach.

It's about your child meeting and learning off of an NBA star. Who knows the heights Kyrie will go to in his career the sky is the limit.

I played Soccer through early childhood and represented SA when I was 13.
There was a day at Hindmarsh Stadium where we got to meet and have a kick with Pele. He kicked the ball with us for a whole 3 minutes and had a quick photo then he vanished. Some parents were upset but we didnt care we just got to meet Pele we were stoked.That was 20 years ago and I remember it like it was yesterday. I still tell Soccer fanatics that I met the man and their faces light up every time because of who it was.

Let the kids have their dream, don't be a grouch. If you can't afford it fair enough but no sour grapes because you think your kid won't learn a lot.

Reply #422314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ Agree in full Uncle Drew.

Ya'll think any 2 day camp is going to change a kids game? Tell em his dreamin Uncle....

Clinics are great for a break in the routine, different coaches different drills etc No magic potions Duh!

I'm sure the clinic will be fantastic and Uncle Drew might even make an appearance???? I wish I was going :(

To the knockers.. Get over it ya'll probably tried to run a program for $$$ and it fell arse, green eyed mofo's

Reply #422331 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Forget $220 for the two day camp. Some are paying $200 for a two hour session, granted its capped at 30 players per session. Alot of money for two hours no matter how you look at it.

Reply #422461 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

I'd love to go now, even at 26

Reply #422462 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:15 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754