Beantown
Years ago

Boomers v China game 1

So is anyone getting coverage through NBL TV? I got the first couple of mins of the intro then it cut out and I haven't been able to get it back.

Anyone got decent stream from another provider?

Topic #31873 | Report this topic

Carcus Mamby  
Years ago

im ok now, was a bit scratchy to start but seems ok 5 mins in.
Gibbo and petrie looking good to start.

Reply #422177 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Got a few mins but as usual my stream has locked up again. What's the score now? Have we managed to hit the side of a barn door in the last few mins?

Reply #422181 | Report this post

KracKa BballiN'  
Years ago

No, brick city...

Reply #422182 | Report this post

Carcus Mamby  
Years ago

well its not a shooting clinic that for sure, 15-19 7:20 left in 2nd

Reply #422183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any score update thanks

Reply #422184 | Report this post

Carcus Mamby  
Years ago

au 17 chi 24 3m left in 2nd

Reply #422187 | Report this post

KracKa BballiN'  
Years ago

17-24 china up.

Poor shootins killin us...

Some nice flops from china

Reply #422188 | Report this post

Boom Patrol  
Years ago

This link works well for me

http://www.firstrow1.eu/watch/190308/1/watch-australia-vs-china.html

Kind of a slow paced boring game, nerves are showing a bit which will hopefully be a faster paced, exciting second half.

Reply #422189 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Hard to say which shite is the worst.

I'll try to rank it.

NBL TV
Boomers shooting
The commentary team
China flops
The refs

Much easier to rate the good things. Well it well be if something good happens.

Reply #422191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

China up 26-23 at the half.

Seriously.

Reply #422192 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Couldn't believe the refs bought that flop under the basket and called a foul on Neville!

Lots of rust it appears. Plenty of shots rimming out. Hopefully someone finds their range in the second half.

China leads 26-23 with 27 secs left in half, China's ball.

Reply #422193 | Report this post

Carcus Mamby  
Years ago

got better things todo on a friday rather than watch this game, very boring.

Reply #422194 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If youre stream's not working try here:

http://lsh.streamhunter.eu/static/popups/15434903825840.html

Reply #422195 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

This is ugly.

Not sure if camera angle or what, but Gibbo looks very out of shape..getting hounded out there.

Games like this don't do basketball justice.

Reply #422198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

China lead 46-33 at the end of the 3rd.

Reply #422201 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

May be close to the ugliest game I have ever watched.

Reply #422202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This boomers team is pathetic! Seriously!! No heart at all. Going to game on Sunday, hope they come to play.

Reply #422204 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Bairstow has shown some nice signs in the 4th quarter. Pretty shot over Mt Zhi Zhi!

Reply #422205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mike Ellis "It's been a cracker jack game it really has"

Reply #422209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

China win 61-55.

Reply #422210 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I enjoyed the final quarter. The Boomers looked a lot better offensively when they attacked hard and early on offence. Would probably have pulled out the win if they'd been able to guard Zhi Zhi. The big fella torched Neville and his baskets allowed Team China to keep their noses in front.

Gliddon looks to have a nice smooth shot on him, so I'm hoping we see him knock down a few more shots early.

Would like to see Goulding set up for a few more drives next game too. He's got enough length and strength to get to the rim.

Reply #422212 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Nice to see the aggression stakes raise in the last quarter, they figured out how to do it without leading with your hands all the time NBL style!

Petrie was excellent and I hope Lemanis puts him on Wang in G2, Gliddon and Goulding showed a bit. Nice cameo from Bairstow too. We looked best when Lemanis went with more experienced guys at the end.

Not sure why Lemanis had Wagstaff at PF so much, he's ging to have to play mostly SF is he's going to make it, and Nevill, Johnson and Bairstow all could have played more.

If the Boomers learn that playing at speed at both ends suits them and playing slow does not theyll be fine. Hopefully G2 picks up where G1 left off rather than restarting!

Reply #422214 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

An uglier game of Basketball I may have never seen.

Well, what I could make out of it... NBL.TV's coverage as usual was full of all the trademark glitches, pix-elations and freezing that we have all come to love, and which they arrogantly never want to attempt to change!

On to the game... I thought the first 5 minutes for the Boomers were actually solid. When they ran everything through Anthony Petrie's hands they were getting consistent scores. Soon as he was benched the well dried up and every point was like plucking teeth.

China played only marginally better due to there cohesion, they are actually a pretty weak team and this is why a loss to them even in these circumstances is one that is hard to stomach.

Defensively the Boomers were 'Ok' outside of being abused a bit on the boards. Daniel Johnson showed the world why he hasn't received a serious look yet by the national side... playing his usual cardboard cut out defence that National teams, even weak ones like China will exploit.

In an effort to salvage some good out of all this, it is probably commendable that the Boomers made a charge at the end despite its woeful shooting percentage. When you see the line up.. Goulding, Madgen, Steindl, Gliddon... It shouldnt really be so hard to put some scores on the board!

China's undisputed star and leader Wang ZhiZhi was nothing more then solid.. making your basic post moves and hitting his freethrows.. something the Boomers couldnt emulate themselves missing absolute sitters and really playing a stagnant looking game.

For the Debutees, the nerves of putting the Boomers jersey on really showed!

Bairstow I thought was a pleasant surprise... His nice hook shot in the post was the catalyst for the come back the Boomer's made, and in his first minute made his impression felt
with a block and deflection.

I expect a far better game on Sunday from both teams.. Australia SHOULD blow China out of the water on just an average game and I think they will do that on Sunday.

Players who did there Boomers chances good?

Cam Gliddon, Chris Goulding, Anthony Petrie, Bairstow

Players who didnt?

Essentially every one else.

In the end, there was a commendable effort by Australia to fight there way from 14 points down to 2 in the final minutes.. however none of the polish or poise you expect of Australia's best was present.

Lucky this is the C or D team and theres 20+ other players vying for these spots right?

Reply #422221 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

The stadium was so empty and if Basketball Australia are looking to only make $ from internationals then KK will be on next to nothing!

There seemed a decent amount of Chinese support but you could hear a few claps in the crowd after a Boomers basket before the last quarter.

Lots of Chinese themed entertainment during the breaks which was good but other than some dancing not much to show the Chinese in attendance what we are all about.

I think the lack of cheerleaders and court side announcing (before the last quarter) and general other things you get at a Wildcats game affected those on court and the atmosphere as it was a joke. SBL has better atmosphere.

Come on Basketball Australia, you can do better than that!

Reply #422225 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

yes the entertainment was a joke...

Reply #422226 | Report this post

Player  
Years ago

Ive seen Better SEABL games.. Seriously, terrible team.

Reply #422228 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Player.. not sure that they are a 'terrible' team. they played terribly... but man for man they are far more talented then china and when they get there shit together they should wipe the floor with them. First game together... A shit one, but it is what it is. As I stated before... most of tyhese guys arent in Australias top 25 prospects so I wouldnt even worry about this series.

Reply #422231 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

This series means just as little as last years stankovic cup team with a whole lot of nobodies who lost to china by 20. The NZ series is the only one that matters any time soon.. and we will have a lot of guys back by then... BTW does anyone know if we have any warm up series before New Zealand in between all this?

Reply #422233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boxscore:

http://www.basketball.net.au/fileadmin/user_upload/images/Boomers/BOOMERSvCHINA_7-6-13.pdf

Boomers shot 31% from the field & 11% on 3pts

Reply #422237 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I was happy seeing Steindl in our lineup and was hoping he would find more court time but ultimately I felt we missed someone like Greg Hire and he wouldn't look out of place in this game and his hustle and when we had Johnson and Wagstaff on the floor together I wondered who would grab our rebounds (once again thinking about Hire) and I think it was Goulding and Gibson... Hardly ideal!

Reply #422239 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Greg Hire a Boomer? Well I guess it wouldnt look that out of place on this team

Reply #422242 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Today wasn't the greatest day in Australian Boomer's history it is fair to say.

A group of 12 Basket-baller's assembled together barely a week a go, many playing for there countries for the very first time.. Eeked out what skeric of competition they could from a pretty weak China team.

For those who watched it, it may depress them about the Boomers futures. To cheer us all up, I want to show you how far down the pecking order this particular team is. It is really unlikely that 1 or more of these guys will be playing in the World Champs or the Olympics... so this series means very very little.

I am going to break it down by position and show each players competition at each position and tell you just how hard and unlikely it is they will sneak in.

Point Guard:

Adam Gibson
Jason Cadee

Competition?
Mastthew Dellavedova
Dante Exum
Jackson Albridge (eventually)
Steven Markovic
Hugh Greenwood

Analysis:
Adam Gibson probably will sneak one more major tournament as 10-12th man until Exum/Albridge/Greenwood mature... that is as far as I expect it to go. Cadee isn't really a chance barring miracles.

Shooting Guard/Small Forward

Ben Madgen
Cam Gliddon
Clint Steindl
Chris Goulding
Igor Hadziomerovic
Jessie Wagstaff

Competition?

Patty Mills
Joe Ingles
Brad Newley
Ryan Broekhoff
Anthony Drmic
David Barlow
Mark Worthington
Todd Blanchfield
Jonah Bolden (2014-15)
Ben Simmons (2015)
Anatoly Bose
Todd Blanchfield

Analysis:
As good as Ben Madgen is, he lacks the athleticism or quickness to cut it internationally. Cam Gliddon is an interesting prospect, could put himself in the mix over time however has a lot of very strong competition. Chris Goulding may be sneaking up on taking Brad Newley's spot however hes gott to look out for the Broekhoffs, Drmics and eventually Simmons. I am not sure why anyone needs Jessie Wagstaff when you already have Mark Worthington or even todd blanchfield... there are also some versatile power forwards who could over take both of there positions.. I doubt wagstaff will go much further. Igor is an unknown quantity right now.

PowerForwards/Centers

Luke Nevill
Daniel Johnson
Anthony Petrie
Cam Bairstow

Competition?

Nate Jawai
Brock Motum
David Anderson
Aron Baynes
Andrew Bogut
Thon Maker (2016)
AJ Ogilvy
Aleks Maric
Julian Khazzouh
Daniel Kickert

Analysis:
Luke Nevill and Daniel Johnson have there work absolutely cut out for them to get anywhere near a green and gold singlet for anything more meaningful then training fodder with this kind of competition. Johnson is defensively suspect and generally soft, this is the difference between him being an international player or just a very good NBL one... Unless his Defense comes along in leaps and bounds this will be as far as he goes. Luke Nevill is 'Ok'... He is good at being 7 foot 2. But his competition us fierce, Nate Jawai, Andrew Bogut, David Anderson, Aron Baynes, AJ Ogilvy, Alek Maric... Its just not happening any time soon buddy!

Anthony Petrie however, has a more forgiving ride. His competition is really Brock Motum, Mark Worthington, Daniel Kickert... I would expect Brock is going to have a prominent place in this Boomers team. He is on the cusp of NBA teams and was an outstanding college player. Brock and Anthony are similar in that they are hardnosed players with inside/outside games. I actually like Petries chances of getting a spot for 2014 aqnd maybe 2016 despite age... he is a worthy successor for Matty Neilson.

Cam Bairstow has potential... but too much competition to make it any time soon.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So there you have it, My analysis of this teams chances for Major comp selections. In the end I only really see Gibson, Goulding, Gliddon and Petrie having any kind of shot at it.. and even then they would be underdogs. SO lets not worry too much about how the Sino Australia series goes. It means almost nothing

Reply #422245 | Report this post

Hawks fan  
Years ago

Not surprising that the Adelaide 36's Boomers didn't win they couldn't win much last season. The selection of these 36's players in the boomers team is an insult to all the decent NBL players. Since when have Anthony Petrie, Daniel Johnson, Adam Gibson, and Jason Cadee played a decent game for an entire game? Are the selectors hoping that a miracle will happen just because these guys pull a green and gold singlet on, how about giving the consistent experienced NBL players a go? I have a feeling that some of our best players don't put much value in being named a Boomer after guys like these have been selected..

Reply #422249 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

why is Jesse Wagstaff in this team, he can't shoot and @ an average of 3 rebounds Per Game he averaged less rebounds than Jonny Flynn this past NBL season. They are seriously in need of a rebounder, as one dimensional as he is, wasn't Jacob Holmes available?

Reply #422250 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

On the offense because the boomers shot wasn't dropping they should be looking for ball movement, setting picks and and penetration. relying on outside shooting when it clearly isn't dropping is pretty poor offense.

Too bad Bob Donewald Jr still isn't the coach of Team China, he would've made the game interesting.

Reply #422252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did all of these players take a holiday after the NBL season. No one can shoot. It was frustrating watching an all Australian nbl all star team with no one hitting shots. Especially when we have all seen players like Ben Madgen, Chris Goulding and Adam Gibson light it up. They need some practice. And i would like to see Madgen and Goulding given the chance to miss and hit shots. It was a very mixed game with a lot of players getting minutes. Also what happened to Johnston? He played well in some early minutes then saw nothing of him.

Reply #422254 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

players that showed they should never wear a boomers uniform even for a training exercise.
Wagstaff
Cadee
Johnson...possibly one of the worst pro basketball defenders.

I'm tempted to show up in a boomers uniform and walk on the court and play.

Reply #422255 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Anonymous... I wouldnt say Johnson "played well" it was easy to see how was being exposed by every chinese excuse for a bigman out there. The only time you see him actually move is if he thinks he can score.

Reply #422265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The poor shooting would have something to do with Perth Arena, evidenced by the FG% for the Wildcats home games this season.

I went to the game and it was one of the worst games I have seen up until the last 8 or so minutes.

Wagstaff and Cadee were terrible. Goulding, Gliddon, Petrie and Bairstow were the only ones who looked good. DJ played well offensively but was exploited defensively. Gibbo didnt really lead the team as he should have.

Was surprised to see Gliddon start over Madgen, but as the game went on it made alot of sense, Madgen just doesn;t have an 'international' game.

Heres hoping the next few games which are all live on Foxtel are more exciting so the viewers tune in..

Reply #422266 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

I am hoping for big improvements. This is really our D squad but we should still comfurtably beat this chinese side by double digits on talent alone.

Reply #422268 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

"Did all of these players take a holiday after the NBL season. No one can shoot. It was frustrating watching an all Australian nbl all star team with no one hitting shots."

"The poor shooting would have something to do with Perth Arena, evidenced by the FG% for the Wildcats home games this season."

Didn't surprise me. NBL shooting has been horrible across the board for a long time now.

I'd also say the Wildcats have far more to do with their poor shooting than their arena does. If the Wildcats could shoot, NZ wouldn't have just completed a threepeat!

Reply #422283 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Have to agree with Beantown there... shootings gone down the drain in this league.

Reply #422285 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Youknowme, you could be right about Madgen, but I'd like to see a bit more of him at international level first before I write him off. Not that I'm putting them in the same ballpark, but Gaze wasn't exactly the greatest athlete either, and he's still by far the best scorer the Boomers ever had!

Reply #422286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those trying to use the Perth Arena excuse to explain away the poor shooting might also note both of these teams shot poorly in Game 1 last year at Challenge Stadium.

Reply #422287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is huge difference between shooting at PA and other places, stats prove it, but I agree with person abve, the rust of two teams playing together after break is just as much to blame for last night

Reply #422289 | Report this post

sydney  
Years ago

I can't believe you would compare Gliddon and Madgen.....Gliddon isn't even close! And Goulding nowhere near an international player. I realise the lineup was a very very D grade squad but the game was pretty awful.

Here's to the next one!

Reply #422297 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

I do think Australia will dominate the rest of the series. Shit they almost won on 31% shooting last night and one of the worst games ever seen.

Reply #422301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

gday youknowME you have alot of opinions on the boomers so tell me if the olympics were this year who is your 12 man team?

Reply #422303 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

This year I would pick a team pretty similar to last years. (assuming there is still no bogut btw)

Matty Dellavedova
Patt Mills
Joe Ingles
Aron Baynes
David Anderson

Adam Gibson (due to the age of the other PG's)
Brad Newley
Anthony Drmic
Nate Jawai
David Barlow/Wortho (a bit of a vet role player with D)
Brock Motum
AJ Ogilvy (if bogut was availible I would take Ogilvy out and make Anderson bench and bogut a starter)

Reply #422307 | Report this post

Really?  
Years ago

Bairstow maybe. But Cadee and haziodrovic? Sorry not close. Gotta look past some of these good couple years ago but others surely come further ?

Reply #422308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dellavedova
Mills
Ingles
Baynes
Bogut

Gibson (exum 2014 and beyond)
Newly
Broekhoff
Worthington (Simmons 2016 and beyond)
Motum
Jawai
Andersen

Promote either Anderson or Motum and add Ogilvy if Bogut not available

Reply #422321 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Yeah I was tossing up between Drmic or Broekhoff there. Either will be good, both eventually will be Boomers I am sure.

Reply #422323 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

I do worry that the team lacks 3 point shooting though...

Reply #422324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who do people think is better Creek or Drmic? And based on what?

Reply #422340 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Drmic.

He is a certain Boomer.

Exactly what they need going forward -- a guy that can shoot the absolute lights out.

Averaged 17.7ppg in his second year!!

Drmic will either be NBA or high level Euroleague.

Drmic is clearly first IMO.

Reply #422346 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Drmic has achieved, is versatile.. can score... is a starter

Creek is on the bench, can only dunk... cant shoot... fairly 1 dimensional

Yep. Easy

Reply #422347 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It's nearly impossible to assess those two at the moment. Through junior national champs they were both superstars, and Creek was 2nd best for Australian U19 team and Drmic 3rd best.

Since then they have chosen different paths that mean you cant judge their performances alongside each other.

I guess Id put it this way, if you needed someone to fill a line-up of Mills, Ingles, Andersen and Jawai Id take Creek in a heartbeat because he is super defender.

If I needed a player to fill a lineup of Baynes, Knight, Newley and Dellavedova then I would clearly take Drmic because he can create shots.

Reply #422361 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

You cant judge them from 2011 paul. That was two years ago. Since then we have seen that Creek is a shooting guard that can't shoot.

Drmic is just as good of a defender. Watched his BSU games..has great length.

Not using it as a be and end all measuring stick...but right now Euroleague teams and NBA scouts are looking at him legitimately.

Creeks athleticism through juniors helped him a lot. When his athleticism is nullifed at the elite international level, does he have the skill to still be effective?

Reply #422393 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

until creek acquires a jump shot with any consistancy he isnt even in the conversation

Reply #422394 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

You probably need to read my comment again macdub, I have said it is nearly impossible to judge them for that very reason, they haven't played at the same standard since then.

Drmic has done nothing against men, but we know he has excellent potential offensively. Creek has struggled offensively but has shown he can defend some very good senior players.

So with that all I have to go on, I'll take Creek if I need a defender and Drmic if I need someone who can create offensively.

Reply #422414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL @ the curtain. It was huge. How many were at the Arena? It looked so dour.

Reply #422472 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Drmic has done nothing against men..

You do realise most college players in the USA are over 20. Some 22. Some 24.

So by your calculations..Anthony Davis isnt a man. He is in fact younger than a lot of current college bball players.

Creeks defence would be more suspicious at college or FIBA level. The NBL isnt full of the athletic SGs that are in the USA system. NBL SGs..Corletto, Lisch, Madgen, Crawford.

Reply #422544 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

In general, I wouldnt class athletes in the 19-22 age group as men. Anthony Davis still has a lot of physical maturing to do, even if he is very talented.

Saying Creek's defence would be suspect is pure speculation, especially as he has shown he can defend a number of import guards who were very good college players, and Abercrombie who is a very solid international.

Reply #422549 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

To be fair, Creek hasn't had to defend too many imports.

There haven't been many import SF's in his seasons. Alot of imports have either been PG (Which Gibbo marked) -- DeLeon, Ubaka, Cedric, Flynn, Wilson, Ervin, Henry, Grant from Hawks) or Bigs (Wilkinson, Hudson, Lazare, Dunigan, Carlton, Jerai Grant)

Thats 14 or so imports from the past two seasons that haven't played his position.

Also, not counting this season because Creek only played 11 mins.

But in the 2011-12 season, Creek played Abercrombie 3 times.

Abercrombie averaged 20.3ppg against the 36ers.
(17, 22 and 22)

So either Creek isn't as good defensively on Abo as you think or Creek never marked him (and Weigh did)

Reply #422560 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Actually, youll find Clarke used Creek quite a bit defending import guards and he did a good job.

Im happy to agree to disagree with you on this, but Ill certainly take Creek in a blink of an eye over Drmic if I need a strong defensive presence.

Reply #422565 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

If I wanted a lock down defender for the Boomers... Sure MAYBE creek. However we know defense isnt the Boomers problem its Offense and people with the ability to create there own. I would take Drmic.

Reply #422566 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Agreed. Will be interesting to see where theyre both at by the end of 2015 when Drmic comes out of college (assuming he doesnt earlier) and are both playing professionally.

Reply #422567 | Report this post

psycho  
Years ago

Creek/drmic same age but different paths so far. Drmic has potential to make 2014 team while Creek is coming off serious injury and who knows maybe a 2016 spot? He will benefit playing under Wright imo.

Reply #422577 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:27 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754