Jack Toft  
Years ago

Nice if you put up the results of which you speak

Reply #422485 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Go nuts:

http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=1-5008-0-0-0&a=COMPS

Well done in particular to Sturt's U14G and Mavericks' U16G.

Reply #422489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

U16 SA boys as per seedings, but a fair way down the list. The SA pack is getting tight but might not be a great SA team in that age group.

Diamond Valley
Melbourne Tigers
Hill Hornets
Bankstown Bruins
Hawthorn
Knox
Eltham
Keilor
Dandenong
Sturt
West Adelaide
Southern Tigers
Central Districts
Sandringham
Basketball ACT
Manly Warringah

Reply #422495 | Report this post

#  
Years ago

u12g - sa team 4th
u14g - sa team 1st and 4th
u16g - sa team 1st and 4th
u18g - better luck next time.

would have to be best results for sa girls for as long as i can remember

Reply #422496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

U16g 1st and 3rd

Reply #422500 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

For those that can't be bothered looking at the website.

U12 boys - Sturt 6th, Woodville 11th, Eastern 12th, Southern 13th
U14 boys - Centrals 10th, Eastern 11th, South 16th
U16 boys - Sturt 10th, West 11th, Southern 12th, Centrals 13th
U18 boys - Sturt 2nd, West 6th, Forestville 11th, Norwood 15th

U12 girls - Sturt 4th, Forestville 12th, Southern 14th, Eastern 15th
U14 girls - Sturt 1st, Eastern 4th, Forestville 13th, Norwood 15th
U16 girls - Eastern 1st, Sturt 3rd, Forestville 9th, Norwood 14th
U18 girls - Forestville 10th, Norwood 11th, Eastern 13th, Sturt 16th

Apologies if I have any of these wrong.

Reply #422501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

U18 g north Adelaide finished 7 th

Reply #422503 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Thanks, we can't be bothered looking

Reply #422506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Flinders.

Reply #422508 | Report this post

Phantom  
Years ago

Massive congrats to the U18 North girls and coach John DP. With a team mostly first years to come top 8 is a great effort.

John has done some great work with them this year. With state champs and now classics. Hopefully finishing winter season off with a bang.

Well done girls and JDP.

Reply #422532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well done to all teams mentioned above. Just to get there is great let alone win / finish top 4. Sturt girls in particular considering state champ results. What has happened to the state champ girls club??? 12s and 14s in particular.

Do we consider classics to be more important than states?

Interesting that the travel rule got put in the back pocket over the weekend. As it is probably one of the most difficult rules to interpret, get the rule changed to allow the 2-3 steps or tighten up at all levels of the game. Nba, nbl are not good examples of the rule interpretation.

Reply #422545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More important than "states".... Do you mean state championships????

I think the CLassics are supposed to be more important than state champs. Certainly, it's going to be alot tougher to win Classics than State Championships.

On the travel rule, it's getting ridiulous. Spin moves are not travel if your pivot lifts but does not get put back down on the ground. Likewise, stepthroughs and two-foot stops and drops steps are not travel if you lift your pivot foot but don't put it back down.

Please refs, get this right! You are killing legitimate scoring options and player's feel for the game and scoring in the paint.

Reply #422576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think if you talked to Forestville, they would say State Champs.

Then again, I overheard one of their coaches saying that they deserved a gold medal because they beat someone at State Champs.

Reply #422580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is Forestville on such a rapid downward slide?

They seem to have access to lots of resources. Venue centrally located, fulltime staff, successful history, great facility with easy access for members to practice in, bar and canteen revenue etc. etc.

What is wrong there?????? Seem to be going further and further backwards.

Reply #422583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed with drop step and step through moves. Lost a game by 4 against a top Vic team and all step through scores were called travel when they weren't. Cost us game and top 8 spot. Yet same game they would change pivot foot on wings when going to dribble abd that was let go. Very frustrating!

Not a fan on zone defense at junior level either.

Reply #422589 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Interesting point on the spin move and travel call in general. Were there not court supervisors present or referee coaches on the floor at the Classic?

Worth going up to them afterwards and getting clarification or at least expressing it as a concern I would have thought...

Reply #422594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No point in expressing after the fact. Just get it right and there is no problem in the first place.

Reply #422596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plenty of ref coaches at the venue and always talking to the refs. Wouldnt it be great if it happened here.

I guess the travel rule isn't important anymore. Could not believe what the kids were getting away with. Happens here also but not to the extent it was there and I suggest the better refs were in attendance at the classics.

I suggest we do away with state champs. Top four after a particular round get to nominate. That's what most are really playing for.

Reply #422598 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

At my home Association I make a point of sourcing out the referee supervisor or the person most able to be spoken with in a common sense way about the state of officiating.

As a coach and someone who is genuine about helping juniors develop their basic skills and fundamentals it is crucial to obtain some feedback and an idea of what the officials are actually thinking, compared with what you as a coach may be seeing.

Find the common ground and work with them, you never know where it will lead.

For me, it has helped big time, much better communication, understanding and less frustration.

Then you tend to take a different attitude to tournaments like this, maybe one that more about being part of the solution, rather than the problem?

Mind you, it works both ways and I have experienced officials that are not interested in any constructive conversation, never mind can't help those who won't...

Reply #422603 | Report this post

AIRPORT  
Years ago

The U14Girls from Sturt - what a great tourney!

To have dropped their first game to Dandy by 18, and then win 5 straight is testament to a talented bunch of girls who played as a team and great Coaching too. The game against Sandringham Sabres was HUGE!!! Well done.

Credit too to the Organisers and referees, and the other SA Teams who competed and did SA proud.

Reply #422620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who coaches the u 14 Sturt girls ?

Reply #422629 | Report this post

Suprised  
Years ago

I think it is their clown coaching director!

Must have been out poaching to feather his own nest again.

From all reports he was badly behaved a got tech fouled for bullying referee's, not to mention how badly he treats his players. They would have been too scared to lose!!!

When will someone stop him and his antics???

Reply #422635 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

No one will.

He is in his own world

Reply #422637 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

haters gonna hate

He's got the best U14 girls side in Australia

what have you bitches achieved?

how about you give credit where its due or shut the FU...

Reply #422669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many of the Sturt Under 14's are from other Clubs!

Reply #422679 | Report this post

The seams  
Years ago

2 out of the 11.

Reply #422684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where did the Sturt U18 girls finish. Didn't they get a wildcard type of entry as another team did not attend and Sturt did some heavy lobbying to get them in?

Reply #422685 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

16TH

Reply #422691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's funny how this year this topic is very subdued, maybe because SA power clubs were poor and have gone under their rock.

Reply #423040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eastern, Centrals, Woodville starting to perk up a little bit!

Reply #423044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would consider Sturt the biggest powerhouse of all in SA & their results were pretty good. Forestville & Norwood seem uncompetitive though.

Reply #423048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you'll find southern and eastern have always been up and down.

its the lions story that is interesting. pretty much non-existent 5 yrs ago to actually be competing for finals spots in alot of divisions and age groups.

Reply #423058 | Report this post

Ruthless  
Years ago

Maybe its has been more subdued because it is the clubs that don't blow their own trumpets that have performed well rather than those who think they are the power clubs.

Mavs have certainly done very well especially in the girls this year.

And Sturt have been as dominant as even. Maybe their best ever result.

Interesting that Forestville underperformed and there is no claims of who is the best here....

Reply #423061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so true Ruthless, that is VERY fore$tville!

Reply #423078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lions are on the rise due to the introduction of their U10 programme and the removal of their "State Country = Automatic Div 1" policy.

Reply #423092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot of ducks have lined up in a row for Centrals of late. Moving someone on out of a position of power has helped as well.

Reply #423421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who would the position of power be?

Reply #423549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you know who it is

Reply #423566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who, Peter Goss?

Reply #423571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No don't know that's why I'm asking. So who?

Reply #423613 | Report this post

Janx  
Years ago

Hi, haters gonna hate as Cat mentions above.

The growth and development within the Lions over a period of years is well documented. It's very open and transparent. Its measured in:

- Team performances at state champs, classics, U14 nationals
- Team performance in summer & winter finals
- Number of players in state (metro or country), DNSP or NITP programs
- Growth in player numbers

The development and growth of the club over that period is actually quite profound. A large team of many people, most importantly the fantastic kids in our program can take the credit.

If you want the facts ask around.

When I chose to leave the role in December 31 2012 we felt there had been significant momentum in the clubs environment to once again hand it back to the fulltime professionals at STARplex. The Lions have access to some of the best resources and facilities in the state at starplex and it simply makes good sense to leverage off those. The STARplex team I'm sure can continue the run but it will take years, not weeks and months to assess how they're going.

To say the club simply turned around in the space of 12 weeks is simply wrong and lacks intelligent insight.

Reply #423636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't worry Janx - people at every other club knows who helped turn the club around, even if Centrals don't!

And I'm sure Norwood (who ever it ends up being...) will be that much better for your coaching service in future!

Reply #423671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not sure how a thread entitled 'best ever classics results' ends up talking about Centrals when their best result was 10th.

Reply #423693 | Report this post

Years ago

Especially when another club had a Gold, Silver and Bronze.

Reply #423695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Centrals (parents) talked themselves up too leading up to Classics! Solid 10th place.

Reply #423707 | Report this post

Rhythm Willie  
Years ago

This Centrals story was debated in the KB appointment thread (again bought in "off topic"). But my view is -

When I coached some years ago I would get U12's who had played a few social games and did'nt even have basic skills on how to shoot, pivot etc compared to other clubs. The U10 Junior Lions programmes at Starplex have made a dramatic difference to the skills of players moving through the age groups.

This combined with a good committee, improvement in coaching quality and a rapidly increasing population in the catchment areas has resulted in gradual improvement.

One downside I have observed however was the exodus of a great many good players who seem to be "written off" at far too young an age or were simply no longer enjoying their basketball at Centrals. This has impacted mostly on the current boys U18 and girls U18 and U16 numbers. So potentially the Club could also have been in a stronger position.

Reply #423713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rhythm,

I enjoy reading your posts.

Some "interesting" concepts.

So the current U18 boys group that you say had a large drop off was in U14s in 2008/09 when the new leadership took over from STARplex.

That age group only 1 team in it when they took over! That team was in Div 2.

By winter season 2008/09 the new team had grown the age group to 2 teams. One team in Div 1 (this team finished bottom in winter) and one team div 3.

By Summer 2012/13 this same group in U18s had 3 teams in Div 1, 2 & 3.

That's 300% growth and adding a div 1 team to the group and maintaining the div 2 team in that period.

The U8/U10 programs at STARPlex have been large and existed for over a decade. It took hard work by committee members, coaches to actually promote the sports pathways and the Lions to players in those programs by visiting the competitions and handing out flyers.

My question to you though is. When you had the group in U12s in 2006/07 they finnished bottom with 0 W 18 L and 412 points for and a whopping 1,032 points against. Why did your team do so poorly?? Could these thrashings go some way to explaining why the kids/including yours were not enjoying their basketball? If you added so much value, why was there only 1 team in the group by the time they hit U14s????? Why was that team only capable of playing in U14 div 2 that summer????? This is a little confusing. It's not so bad that they didn't do so well in U12s under you, you can only work with what you inherit but why were they still so poor at U14s, surely you could have left more for the U14 coach to work with??? I propose that these results demonstrate that you were incompetent at developing the U12s in terms of the numbers of players as well as their skill levels????

Reply #423851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

423851, you have missed a couple of points. That team improved over the course of the season and even though they lost all games, they improved on the return games.
Significantly, all players returned in the next season and the squad grew in size. In their return game against the eventual premiers that year they were even at three quarter time before running out of legs.

Reply #425284 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:46 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754