Jack Toft
Years ago

R10 ABL Action

Well we are half way through and that means it's a long slide to home base.

Mavs-Warriors
Women: Just put down another lazy 3 MVP points for Tess as her team crushes the Xenas.
Men: Al’s boys turn up at the Weekly Milgram Experiment. How much pain will they inflict upon the Mavs this week?

North-South
Women: South is more trouble than Julia Gillard in September. Norf should be all other the Panthers like car fur on a sofa.
Men: North might actually be in a spot of bother this week if they don’t take the Panthers seriously. They could be dominated by men in blue ties. It would be too easy to have those crownies cracked, but I am expecting this to play out within single figures. North should win, but so should Tony.

Tigers-Flames
Women: The only difference between the four horsemen of the apocalypse and the Lady Flames is that there’s ten of them. You know you’re having a bad day when Frank Pangallo and Today Tonight is at your doorstep, or the Ten Horsewomen of Norwood arrive at your stadium on their mopeds. Simon says he wants an undefeated season, chances are pretty high they will.
Men: This game should be tighter than lyra bike shorts on a middle aged accountant. The Tigers have been the surprise package in the men’s comp and the Flames look vunerable without Millard, the superglue of the team. If he is still out, the Southern boys will celebrate with donuts in the carpark, with him in the side, it’ll be a battle of the coaches and Brad might be able to McGyver a win.

Lions-Sabres
Women: Sturt get better each week, so too the Lionesses, but not as fast as the Baby Blues. Last time, former interim coach Jantke kept the gap to 16, this time it could be more if the Lionesses don’t control turnovers. Sturt to bake up a storm.
Men: Sturt were double dacked at home in round 1 but are well poised to make amends. They have come back strongly and are hunting a spot in the top 5 like Bear Grylls looking for a camel carcass at sunset. Victory loves preparation and this is a game that the Lions need to back up and win to be serious contenders. A win to Sturt could see them happier than a Uni student at Marksenfest. No excuses for the Lions not to win.

Eagles-Bearcats
Women: The table says 5th vs 6th but the gap is more like crossing the Murray than the Torrens. Do the Eagles still consider themselves to be a western suburbs club? Regardless, they will be the Queens of West Torrens after tonight.
Men: MOTR. West have demanded top spot this season and with two Boomers in the side, break out the wobble board I can hear Rolf Harris. In round 1, Forestville shot 7% in the second quarter. Awks. It cost them the game. Don’t expect a repeat this game and this will be another game where spectators won’t want to grab a chico roll (or a Gillard quail) midway through the quarter. West to prevail in a game where Eagles supporters will replay every missed chance and foul call in the carpark or the bar after the game.

Topic #31903 | Report this topic

ANON  
Years ago

Tess away with opals I presume might see how good rest od team are now?

Reply #422930 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

2 lines for mavs and Warriors Jack - probably reflects interest in those teams
a good read

Reply #422939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blue Army returns to STARplex this week!

Reply #422944 | Report this post

SamCro  
Years ago

Ann #939 - Mavs Women sitting comfortably in the Top 4 ATM.

Reply #422953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What has happened to Mottram for F'ville men?

Reply #422961 | Report this post

+  
Years ago

tess wont play - going to china with opals

Reply #422968 | Report this post

Showtime  
Years ago

Will be making to trip to Starplex to see the games. Should be interesting

Reply #422973 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Well, that puts a new complexion on the Mavs-Warriors game. Tess has been crucial in setting up a lot of plays and with some teams dropping an extra player on her, has freed up other Mavettes.

The Xenas are spreading minutes more evenly, with the Mavs rationing minutes to their bench. A cold night in Mount Barker just heated up.

My predictor said an 82:53 final score. Without Tess, could that be around a 66 all score. Woodville just need to settle and play their natural game, Mavs need a bench player to step up. At the risk of putting the kiss of death on the young girl, I have been impressed with Jasmine Howe this season and this type of game could be one where she asserts herself.

Reply #422975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're obviously very easily impressed jack...

Reply #422979 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I am when it comes to players who try hard and show development.

Reply #422981 | Report this post

Rock  
Years ago

Are DJ and Cadee away for a fair bit of West's games with 36ers in China soon?

Reply #423144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack your kiss of death worked as her fouls at the death probably cost the warriors the game. Where to for the hapless woodies now with a new team, new coach, average import and every other team's bench players and still on the rocks?
Same question over Souths whose college girls should have stayed comfy stateside because they haven't made any difference. That gives credence to the questions about the coach.
Southern are just awful as are Centrals and the 'we are only young' has worn thin its been used so much by both clubs. It's hard to see any of these four teams being a force any time this century. The buy a couple of players to be competitive for year or so has been exposed as useless and none of the clubs has a decent junior girls program.
If the league is serious they need to think proactively about how to make the game competitive as it is the top level of club basketball in the state.

Reply #423264 | Report this post

fan  
Years ago

Should you not include West in the above comments??

Reply #423266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And yes you can put West with that group! Souths college girls have only played 1or 2 games, so how much difference would you like them to make already?? Plus they are not superstars like a Madgen, who makes Eastern the team they are. Without her, they would be back in the pack like the bottom 5 teams who don't have anyone outstanding on their roster!!

Reply #423271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was at North South women's and saw that Tayla Corrigan has suited up for South. Nice to see she has been given a second chance after getting no opportunity with Sharon. I thought she played very well and will only get better under Vicki.

Reply #423272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eastern women look second rate without Tess. Lucky to pull off a win tonight.

Reply #423273 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Yeah, that's why I don't like putting too much focus on one player. I have a kiss of death worse than Lou Richards.

Reply #423275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big statement made by West to beat Forestville without DJ and Cadee. Most would have probably thought they couldnt do it without them.

Reply #423335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will DJ and Cadee be around for finals or will they be tied up with 36ers pre season duties?

Reply #423339 | Report this post

+  
Years ago

here is a new term - Jack.

"a sorer neck than the GWS full back watching footies go over his head"

Reply #423341 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

good one, I hope you don't mind if I borrow it! ;)

Reply #423371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A particular Norwood coach voicing his displeasure at the officials from last night... anyone have any insight into this?

Reply #423387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is that anything different from any other week?

Reply #423402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was at the southern vs Norwood game last night and i was disgusted with the refs from the stands. Were terrible for both teams. Probably the worst I've ever seen!

Reply #423403 | Report this post

Whats up  
Years ago

To be honest I thought the umpiring wasn't too bad!
Yeah there were a couple of missed and funny calls, but that's usual LOL
I thought they did really well to control the game and get on top of Norwood's dubious game style

Reply #423406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Frost and the boiled egg were embarrassing to say the least!! Let the boys play! People don't pay to watch them blow their whistles all game!
Southern were probably better on the night and deserved the win, but to see both teams standing there looking around in confusion after a majority of the whistles was frustrating for all in the building. The game really lacked physicallity, but the constant whistle blowing made it seem like the opposite.
Very disappointing!!!

Reply #423413 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

West with the big win over Forestville, showing they are just too deep even without DJ and Cadee

Reply #423414 | Report this post

Rhythm Willie  
Years ago

Sturt verses Centrals ended up with Sturt scraping in, they just shot better %.

Was'nt Miller's best game for Centrals, forced quite a few up/ no 3's, Clausen however was very impressive and Marriot played well for Sturt IMO.

Reply #423446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot of offensive calls in that game, after a Tigers drive to the hoop saw the norwood centre (15) flop for a charge call Mark Frost blew his whistle against Norwood and his explanation was "flop foul warning". Correct call should have probably been points count, block foul, shooting one and technical foul warning for flopping.
Norwood Coach response "I would have been happy with a foul call".

Norwood were given 2 warnings for flopping with no tech. The offensive battles between the 2 guards saw tigers pt obtain 4 offensive fouls trying to remove his tagger. Was an unusually offensive focus for officiates but Norwood's illegal screens are a disgrace and embarrassment on coaching staff with close to 6 calls. Intense game though.

Reply #423447 | Report this post

eastern fan  
Years ago

Eastern vs woodville had similar terrible calls looked like the refs were scripting eastern for the W the whole game terrible refs sounding like it was the round for terrible reffs.......

Reply #423533 | Report this post

Yar  
Years ago

Who was the senior ref on the mens game with Mark Frost?

Reply #423535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they had a week off and forgot the rules!!!

Reply #423547 | Report this post

facts  
Years ago

but the way the anonymous poster described the call Mark Frost was correct because if the defense flops without contact it can't be a blocking foul.

The rule say it's a warning & then a tech

You cant call a blocking foul and then give a warning for the flop

Reply #423548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He did call a block and a flopping warning the other week on one of the woodville men's players...

Reply #423569 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

frosty the best umpire in this leaque- think you find he most consistent wth his intrepretions - you know what you get when he whistles a game take him every game if had a chance -

Reply #423585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah right him and his brother are terrible

Reply #423589 | Report this post

Next Step  
Years ago

"West with the big win over Forestville, showing they are just too deep even without DJ and Cadee"

Might want to re consider this now perhaps..

Reply #437205 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:41 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754