Anonymous
Years ago

Why isn't the NBA on Free to air TV?

Apparently the subscription numbers in Australia to NBA league pass are the second highest in the world.

So there is obviously a serious interest in the NBA in Australia.

So why isn't the NBA on free to air TV in Australia?

I believe, in turn, this would help the NBL's popularity as well

Topic #31920 | Report this topic

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Live NBA games generally run during daytime TV in Australia, and therefore recieve poor ratings.

Furthermore, while the rights to broadcast regular reason games aren't overly expensive it isn't the most cost-effective programming for the networks.

Given the monopoly ONE HD had on the free-to-air market a few years back I believe they could have capitalized on their sporting brand/identity and made it work, but as things currently stand there are better programming options available.

Reply #423204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The games don't need to be live though right?

Surely there is a niche for NBA games on FTA in Australia?

Kids in particular, love watching NBA

Reply #423205 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

They did run Bucks games during prime time when Andrew Bogut played for them. Considering that it didn't last long I'm guessing it didn't rate well enough.

We have a plethora of casual basketball fans in Australia. NBA.com has highlights, ESPN/NBA has "analysis" and NBA league pass allows for fans to watch games whenever it suits them: this is enough for most.

There isn't a whole lot of point for casual fans to watch an entire game on FTA when they've likely already watched the highlights and checked the box scores.

Reply #423207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah but surely on FTA it would promote the NBA brand in Australia a lot more?

Television is a massive Marketing tool.

A win/win situation for the NBA

Reply #423208 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

It could be a cheap option if they could secure rights to play delayed games that ESPN isn't showing, and air these games in the afternoon at around 330 or so when kids are getting home from school. Very interesting that Australia is second in league pass though, I'd imagine Phillipines alone would've trumped us along with any number of European countries. Stats like these are where NBL/BA need to capatalize

Reply #423210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed

Reply #423211 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

ONEHD had games on Wednesday and Friday mornings, does anyone believe that giving us a weekend game would have changed the outlook on ratings?

I loved ONEHD when it was a 24 hour sports channel and live all across Australia but a change in ownership have a change in philosophy hence why the NBL or other sport (minus swimming) isn't broadcast until after 9:30pm.

It will be interesting to see if Big Bash will destroy NBL coverage or not but only time will tell

Reply #423226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Screw the NBA. Australia has supported it for how many years and how many games have been played here? 0

I do not care about distance etc. The MLB are even coming here.

Reply #423231 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"Yeah but surely on FTA it would promote the NBA brand in Australia a lot more?

Television is a massive Marketing tool.

A win/win situation for the NBA"

Clearly the NBA's brand in Australia is pretty strong judging by the League Pass figures, but we're a small fish in a big blue ocean. Most of their resources go to the bigger markets: USA, China, India and various regions in Europe.

If the goal were to market the NBA to Australia, then selling the broadcasting rights cheap to a network would only accomplish a reduction in League Pass subscriptions; at the current broadcasting rates the networks aren't interested.

I'll go out on a limb and infer that the networks and the NBA have PROBABLY done a little more research than any of us have...

Anon, you asked why the NBA isn't on FTA: take the answers for what they're worth. Consider buying an NBA League Pass or Foxtel subscription if you're unhappy.

Reply #423234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've got FOXTEL and love the NBA games and coverage on there.

FTA would expose the game more though

Reply #423238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After only 1 or 2 seasons showing NBA games on One HD you could assume the NBA were asking too much for the rights or at least too much for what Ten/One were prepared to pay.

They only showed NCAA games for 1 season too.

Reply #423239 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

I believe the downfall with OneHD and the NBA had a great deal to do with ESPN wanting to be the main broadcaster actually

Reply #423247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The ratings were pretty atrocious on ONE and didnt warrant the money it cost.

Reply #423254 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

It does make you wonder though why a couple of small market teams don't come here with a fuckload of merchandise and play a couple of games in Australia...

We would expect Melbourne and/or Sydney but would they take a game to Brisbane (our third biggest city) that's without an NBL team or Perth (with the best stadium) or Adelaide?

It would be great to have all 5!

Reply #423283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would any NBA team come out here when even the local comp cant run a meat raffle .
Maybe a WNBA team will look at coming out . With the national womens league getting more respect it would be not a bad idea .

Reply #423288 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Simple economics $$$$$ !

Reply #423321 | Report this post

Mentalballer  
Years ago

I did read somewhere a little while a go that due to the popularity of the NBA in Australia the NBA subscription cable service was thinking of making it available down under but more so a dedicated NBA channel on cable television.

Reply #423338 | Report this post

philly  
Years ago

I though Australia is the highest subscriber to NBA league pass. See this link:

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/nba-consider-more-opportunities-in-australia-following-success-of-league-pass-20130213-2ecqn.html

Keep in mind that many other countries have dedicated channels to NBA/Basketball and therefor there is less of a necessity for league pass subscription. Which brings the question as to why Australia can't do the same.

As for exhibition matches I have no doubt they would be extremely successful if brought here. I still remember last year when one reporter simply mentioned the possibility and then before you know it there were campaigns such as facebook pages with over 15,000 likes pushing for it.

I also read somewhere that Australia is one of the highest purchasers of NBA merchandise.

The demand is certainly there for both exhibition matches and TV coverage but it may be a matter of time before someone acts on it. Look at the AFL for example - it only just got a dedicated channel and it is absolutely massive here.

Reply #423386 | Report this post

Budgie  
Years ago

I don't understand how Reality program's could rate above sport. Since AFL don't understand Monday night viewing why don't a channel pick up game of the week on Monday night. I'm so sick of fatties getting off their arse and clowns trying to cook. How the f@&k does that rate?

Reply #423405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simple economics $$$$$
1st class flights for 10-12 players
1st class flights ( maybe ) for 4-5 coaching staff
Econ flights for 5-10 ? other staff
Coming over here might cost a pretty penny and who is going to pay for it ?
Not all teams have a private jet .
Sorry but cant see any team making much $$ selling out a few games .
If anybody can tell me how im all ears .

Reply #423410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can understand why ONE dropped the NBA. The cost to get the rights to the coverage of TNT games must of cost them quite a bit and putting the games on Live when they air in the US didn't help ratings. I recall the Friday double header used to get replayed during Prime Time. It would be eassier to air NBA at night rather than constant re-runs of COPS which has just been looping since they lost the NBA rights in 2011. Australia gets screwed when it comes to NBA with the only coverage coming in the form of ESPN which only shows games on certain days and is only avaliable to be seen by those who have FOXTEL. Considering the success of the NBA here with merch sales which in the past year its become easier to buy jerseys from Rebel Sport and not just Kobe and Lebron jerseys anymore. The NBA should try to bring NBA TV to FOXTEL even though a lot of the content is just NBA Game Time but you get replays of games and airing of classic games.

Reply #423429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't buy the simple economics. If the English Premier League, Major League Baseball and Team USA/Team Canada Hockey Teams then I don't see why the NBA can not.

Reply #423443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly. MLB can come here FFS and there are about 50 plane tickets for each team. An NBA team would have about 20 seats for the team etc.

WWE can even do it. Economics is a load of crap

Reply #423577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

because free to air only show lame home reno shows

Reply #424089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I want NBA back on free to air in Australia.

Reply #560722 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Too much access to NBA for everyone already through other means, internet highlights, league pass.. won't rate as high anymore.

Only way I can see it happening is including the latest episodes of NBA action after the NBL game on FTA Sunday.

The ideal situation would be,

- NBL Game of the week
- NBL Blitz program
- NBA Action

Reply #560765 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It just doesn't rate sadly, ala basketball in general. You look at the money folked out for EPL rights and there's a stark contrast.

There's a strong niche market for NBA in Australia but it's just not big enough to attract mainstream investment, and I'd guess it's strongest in lower-spending demographics too.

Reply #560768 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:18 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754