Bewildered
Years ago

Marty Clarke for SASI...?

Why is it that BSA haven't offered Marty a role at SASI?

Why is it that they seem willing to let one of the top junior development coaches in the country look at work offers outside SA/AUS?

Regardless of his results at the sixers surely his 12 years experience at the AIS would be a major asset for basketball in this state... Lord knows he'd be the breath of fresh air that the stale 20y.o. SASI program needs.

It's not a good sign for our elite basketball program that when speaking to parents from other clubs, including Sturt, that they all say the same thing... "My kids don't enjoy the SASI program" or "I don't want to rock the boat and risk my child's chance at a state spot" This bleak opinion of the program was shown at a recent state trials where I believe only 7-8 players attended and there were several phone calls made trying to get players to trial... Not a good reflection on the program IMO.

Having someone with Marty's national experience run this program would actually make the top players WANT to attend SASI which would no doubt improve the SA results at national level, not to mention give these athletes a bit of inside knowledge of what to expect at AIS level.

BSA, dont let this opportunity to inject some fresh ideas and a new direction for SA junior hoops slip through your fingers.

Topic #31925 | Report this topic

Very Old  
Years ago

Hmm

I don't actually think that BSA ARE willing to let one of the top junior development coaches in the country look at work offers outside SA/AUS

1. Marty wants a lot more that BSA could hope to afford

2. Marty would regard it as a backwards step in his career path.

3. I'm not so certain he has the correct skill set and attitude for junior players who are not

a) - already very highly motivated ( enough to move to Canberra for up to 3 years)

AND

b) - already absolute stand outs at a national junior level ( mainly only ever 2-4 "new" scholarships each year to the AIS under Marty under literally hundreds of juniors wanting it).

PS - Nice of you to find time from your studies in Tassie to post here again MC. xoxox

Reply #423352 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Also keep in mind that any local coach can offer to be involved in the SASI program. If Marty had any interest at all in being involved he could be right now -- and then ask for a paying role

Reply #423353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Neil is 65? Was the U2o girls the trial with only 7-8 players? Please tell

Reply #423356 | Report this post

Bewildered  
Years ago

Couple of good points VO... Don't agree with the skill set comment though...anyone that runs the AIS program must have a fairlt good grasp of the required basketball skills... besides I'd say that 90% of kids that hope to compete at the SASI level are already self motivated... also I doubt he's had much spare time until recently to help out at SASI.

Anon, I believe it was the u20 girls... It's a shame that there is such a drop off for girls at that age from basketball whilst sports like netball at that age are still well supported.

Reply #423359 | Report this post

MIM  
Years ago

for all we know BSA have offered him a role and he declined

Reply #423360 | Report this post

Doh  
Years ago

There is no SASI basketball program any more. SASI funding was withdrawn a couple of years ago.

You might be talking about the NITP the BSA assists in running.

Word on the street is that Marty Clarke will be off to St Mary's College in the US.

Reply #423363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not saying I don't agree that it's time for change, however I'm not sure Neil can take the blame entirely for overloaded kids by school, club, state and sasi getting "over it" and not "enjoying it". Athletes at high levels generally don't enjoy "the grind", it's something they have to "work through". I hardly think he can be blamed for this.

I think the key is to give anyone that has dedicated their life to the success of athletes deserves respect. If you speak to a lot of the kids that have some element of success through the state program and byeond they almost without fail respect his involvement and commitment to their development.

That's not to say that his role should not be measured or he shouldn't be accountable for results. I'd question whether or not that is the case???

Reply #423365 | Report this post

Bewildered  
Years ago

MIM, it's my understanding that no contact has been made from BSA but I could be wrong...?

Details Doh, details... SASI, NITP, BASA, BSA it doesn't matter the fact is it's been the same people in the same roles running the same program... Just saying it could be time for a change... I too have heard the St Mary's rumor too. That's a big move to make with a young family so perhaps he may be open to a local offer if there was one fourth coming?

Anon 365, I'm not implying that the kids are dropping out due to burn out im saying that the program is stale and doesnt insire them to remain in it... im also sure that you would find kids that have had success speaking positively about the program.
I do agree that you should respect someone that has committed such a long time to the program. This isn't about Neil bashing but more about taking an opportunity to make a change that is right here in our backyard.

Reply #423380 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Neil and his bullshit politics screwed SASI and plenty of players over. Nuff said.

Marty would cost too much if SASI was still around anyways.

Reply #423381 | Report this post

Dumb  
Years ago

Sir Ricey of Stupidity, you do realise the current National women's squad has more SASI graduates than any other State including Victoria don't you?

You didn't make the squad cause you couldn't play.

Reply #423398 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

sir ricey - the red suited knight- shows us your wares and arise

Reply #423399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marty Clarke is about to accept a assistants role at St Marys strong rumor going around

Reply #423400 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

I hope Marty goes to St Mary's is super successful and shuts a few people up.

He has too much talent for the State Program, which is old, tired, and very poorly run.

tTI Camps in July $100 to attend is a joke.

Has anyone seen a written report form the head coach of the program for moving forward?

Terrible program

Reply #423409 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Why do people pick on Ricey?

Reply #423419 | Report this post

Bewildered  
Years ago

Anon 409, if the program is old, tired and poorl run then doesn't it need someone with too much talent to make it new, energetic and well run...
I'm sure then that the $100 for TI camp wouldn't be such a joke it may actually be considered good value for money.
As for the written report all that would do is show some ideal scenario to the bean counters when in reality the program would run the same as it has for years seemingly without any accountability...
The debate about this has been good though... Keep it going.

Reply #423423 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Because I'm not afraid to point out the truth.

What has a few SASI players in the women's team have to do with the fact countless players quit playing SASI and/or basketball all together due to his rubbish antics, like giving a player the cold shoulder because she kissed a boy at a party? There's plenty more, but lets not get into it. Oh and I didn't make the squad probably because I didn't play the politics

Reply #423495 | Report this post

Dumb  
Years ago

Thank you for responding with your usual lack of intelligence Sir Ricey of Stupidity.

What you consider to be the truth is in fact merely you own opinion!

Its not a few players in the National team, (which is in fact the job of NITP programs) it is an overwhelming number.

And actually you didnt make the squad cause you cant play. Never have and never will....

Reply #423504 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Calls somebody stupid, has DUMB as alias for online forum lol

Reply #423514 | Report this post

Dumb  
Years ago

Its called 'being ironic'.

But thanks for responding with reasonable answer of fact rather than opinion.

Reply #423525 | Report this post

Bewildered  
Years ago

Hmmm... off topic just a little.

I have no doubt that the program has seen players go onto bigger and better things but I'm sure in a new program with a new leader that there would be less drop off and possibly even more players taking the next step...

Obviously a couple of you wish to argue who's dumber or who couldn't play etc and judging by the comments I'm sure that it's been going on for a while and no amount of posting on hoops is gonna bring the tension to an end any time soon so...

Focusing back on the topic, I'd just like to see someone new and perfectly qualified given the opportunity to grow and improve basketball in this state... It's not much to ask now is it...?

Reply #423581 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Change for the sake of change.

Could NITP be selecting too many players to keep clubs and associations happy???? If NITP in SA is too broad and does select too many athletes wouldn't that explain the high dropout rate.

Isn't the process of developing elite sportspeople as much as process of elimination? Isn't being an elite athlete a fair bit of nature and ability to manage a very high training workload? Therefore wouldn't you expect there to be a high dropout rate from a program which is meant to be the states high performance pathway and probably tries to capture the needs of too many???

Reply #423582 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Thank you bewildered for seeing the bigger picture. Imagine how many more SASI players could be in national teams or playin professionally had they not dropped out.

The dropout rate has a lot to do with mismanagement of personalities, not because people couldn't handle the trainings and so on.

Reply #423605 | Report this post

eli1  
Years ago

Im surprised Clarke's bum-chum buddy Marcus Camby hasn't updated the world on what Clarke's movements are?

Reply #423885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dicey the brotherhood will only continue to discredit you . All who have been thru it are in agreement with you but criticism has and always will fall on deaf ears.

Reply #423886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is ricey really Marcus camby it would explain alot

Reply #423893 | Report this post

Dumb  
Years ago

So Ricey,

How do you explain that it is doing a better job of producing National players than all other similar National Programs?

Should all State Head Coaches get sacked because they aren't ding as well as the one who didn't pick you?

Can you explain where all these extra players are going to play professionally? Or do you not understand that it would only mean other players from other NITP or equivalent programs would be missing out!

Reply #423901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes....
Marty & family are off to St Mary's.
Good luck too him!!!

Reply #424279 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:30 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754