Popovich's relationship with the media

Pop really gets on my nerves with the way he treats reporters. Fair enough some questions he gets asked are either bad, closed or repetitive, but don't you think he should cut them some slack and elaborate once in a while? It's an entertainment industry and people make a living writing about the game, and he kinda makes it hard for them. They are only trying to do their jobs and he just seems to be a senile prick when he faces them. Yeah, you can say that's his personality; but in essence he's being a jerk. He belittles reporters with the way he carries on. And with all the (what I perceive to be) admiration he gets for his personality, it's kinda like saying it's okay to be an a**hole.

Is it a non-issue, in that his media sessions are tactful, or should he treat the reporters with the respect that a normal human being deserves?

Also from a marketability standpoint, is his media personality fine in that it markets itself or should he not be so short?

Topic #31935 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I find him amusing. Good to have a contrarian.

Reply #423610 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

He's being forced to do press meetings by the league, when he doesn't want to. That's pretty much it. I dare say he hates stern, similar to wilt chamberlain

Reply #423612 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I like it when he shuts down dumb questions but when he is just being surly for the sake of it, it's a bit tiring.

Reply #423614 | Report this post

m  
Years ago

If you think Pop is bad you should watch Bill Belichick

Reply #423615 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Doesn't suffer fools easily...

Reply #423618 | Report this post

Bulldog  
Years ago

I think this article covers this topic pretty well. He has a great off-court relationship with most of the reporters by the sounds of it.

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/9341250/gregg-popovich-vs-sideline-reporters

Reply #423621 | Report this post

Gordon Liddy  
Years ago

Five years ago I would have agreed. Pop's act irritated me for a long time. But now I appreciate him for who he is and find humour in. It's a breath of fresh air in an era where coaches and athletes give standard non-answers to questions so often that the idea of the press conference or interview has almost become pointless. Pop at least is his own man. I'll miss his act when he's gone.

Reply #423627 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Exactly Gordon. The new breed of brainwashed, homogenised, robotic, g-rated superstars (Rose, Durant, Lebron)and their coaching equivalents manage to say less in fifty words than Pop does in one.

It's refreshing to see someone speak their mind and not be worried about how it effects their brand.

Reply #423632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is hilarious

Reply #423634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you are making a living from being a sports reporter; do some research and be educated on the subject!

Reply #423637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love it. Much better than the watered down, media friendly responses you often get. He's obviously pissed at having to do in-game interviews and he's not afraid to show it, especially when he gets asked stupid questions. He cares about winning and that's it. And look at the success they've had.

Reply #423639 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I'd say he markets himself and the game perfectly. I'm quite sure more people make sure they listen to his "two question" interviews than any other coach in the league.

Reply #423640 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

As for the original question about marketability: I don't think Pop, or any NBA coach for that matter, has ever worried about marketability.

Reply #423641 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I love watching Pop get interviewed, he's short and sharp and I love watching the reporters try to get more out of him!

Reply #423643 | Report this post

Don't we think he's generally being too much of a d*** though? No? He seems to go out of his way to sometimes to not facilitate.

And Mick, the coach might not worry, but the NBA might. That's where the question was really centred.

Reply #423644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think some of it is deliberate - I think he wants them to stop the in-game interviews. He losses 30 seconds coaching, which would matter to him.

Reply #423646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ That was me - not that it doesn't matter to other coaches as well, just that Pops seems to particularly resent it.

Reply #423647 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

You could almost say he has got "being a dick" down to such an art form that people want more and more.

Reply #423648 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

I'm with Gordon Liddy

Reply #423653 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Mick Malthouse in the AFL is kind of like POP, straight shooter, gets to the point and says stuff you want to hear, but also sets them up a bit...

Reply #423654 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Malthouse is a rambling buffoon compared to Popp.

Reply #423656 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

That's the whole point though SS.

It's his way of protesting against the in-game interviews that the NBA introduced about five years ago.

Reply #423658 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

It doesn't help that the media pretty much answers the question before it's even put to him:

e.g. "Lebron and Dwayne Wade combined for X amount of points that quarter, how do you stop them?"

Of course Pop is simply going to reply "Play defense". He isn't going to give away his game plan.

Reply #423663 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

or "you guys look like you came out a bit flat there, what happened?"

"well we came out a bit flat..."

Reply #423665 | Report this post

MIM  
Years ago

Yeh Pop is the best. People care about his interviews. It's very good for the league - as opposed to the generic responses you get with everyone else.

Also, he has said that he prefers sideline reporters to ask broad questions like "What are your thoughts so far?", instead of the specific examples above. Reporters should do their homework if they dont want to be shut down.

Reply #423667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So no Statsheet, we don't agree with you that he's being too much of a dick.

Reply #423670 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Mate, I appreciate your attempt to try and clarify it, but I actually can read.

Reply #423676 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Yeah, sometimes Miick Malthouse can ramble, but it's usually with a point or to set up his next point...

'The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient'

Reply #423684 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

I follow AFL, and Im getting starting to get tired of the overall package that is Mick Malthouse.

You can be savvy with the media, which Malthouse is, but then you can also be too arrogant, which Malthouse also is (put Sheedy in the same class too).

Reply #423685 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Sure... Comparison I was trying to make was only from the view point of coaches being different, not boring robots, fair enough that not everyone likes some of these coaches, but the best ones are out there in the media more often than those who are not as interesting or controversial.

As much as we get tired of listening to coaches who are a little eccentric or out there, it is far less inspiring to hear the same old cliches...IMO

Reply #423690 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

If more players and coaches had Pops view and disregard for Stern as his cronies the league would be so much better. He's basically the last 90s and pre 90s style coach/player when it comes to his attitude. The more people like him the better

Reply #423748 | Report this post

The_Standing_One  
Years ago

Pop is undoubtable one of the best basketball coaches of all-time. His ability too this season be able to run guys through the bench and make the right moves with a very old team has been excellent.

His transition defence coaching is second to none. Has the right too say whatever he wants to the media and can talk with them once he wins.

Reply #423856 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:04 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754