Jack Toft
Years ago

R11 ABL Action

South-Sturt
Women: Sturt travelling nicely at the moment and will look to lock in another away win to consolidate second position. Panthers have to spend another week sharpening their claws waiting for another opportunity to sink into prey.
Men: Hard not to pick against the Bloo Baggers as they race up the ladder like a BMW along Goodwood Rd. South having a season that should have a dot com after it. Sturt will celebrate.

Norwood-Mavs
Women: 1 v 3, but with Tess away the Lady Flames have the momemtum. Lady Flames yet to lose at home and that record will continue. It's not that teams are that bad, Lady Flames are just too good.
Men: Norwood are one of a six pack of teams fighting for a finals spot. Despite their ladder position, Mavs have been unlucky and have put up more shots than their opponents in 70% of games and have more shots over the season. But quality beats quantity and unless they have had a massive Shooting Camp session this week, Norwood will be in the six pack, ripped like an ab twister.

West-Southern
Women: West were all over the Tigeresses last time when Des and Jess were playing. You would expect that both these teams have slim chances of playing finals, slimmer than finding intelligent life on Mars, but a West win will mean the Tigeresses can start to plan for next season.
Men: Southern are another stubbie in the six pack of contenders. Even without their big Boomers, West look tougher at home than a day old rump steak cooked on an open fire. No donuts in the carpark for the Tigers this week, Westies to extend their unbeaten run at home.

Woodville-North
Women: Woodville pushed the more fancied Rockettes last time and tonight they will do it again. North will invade Pandora seeking unobtanium, but tonight, there’s no fairytale and the Na’vi will be beaten.
Men: 2 v 5. Warriors having a great season and I still think their planets are aligning. But along comes Pero the Mereorite and his Asteroids ready to crash into their solar system. This game is going to be too close to call with only a rowdy home crowd likely to be the difference.

Lions-Eagles
Women: Last time they met it was an Anzac Day massacre with the Eagles out of the nest faster than a shopper at a Boxing Day sale. Turnovers weighed the Lionesses down like an anchor. Tonight, I don’t expect the gap to be as great and despite a spirited effort Lionesses will be the hunted on the Starplex savannah.
Men: 3 v 4, but can the Lions repeat their Anzac Day Assault? The Blue Army are back and in full voice. They couldn’t quite drag the Lions over the line last round and tonight they should be just as loud. I know there’s a line in there about them and the Collingwood cheer squad, but can’t find it. Travelling to Starplex is like going to the moon, and maybe after 40 mins, we might hear "The Eagle has Landed".

Well, after much deliberation, this is definitely my last ABL Action writeup. I hope you have all enjoyed them and it’s brought a smile to a dreary face during the greyness of a workday. Good luck to all the teams for the rest of the season.

Topic #31949 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you holding out for more money Jack?

Reply #423930 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

No, Isaac doubled my salary this season, in fact he tripled it! But triple nothing is still nothing!

At the start of the season I knew I would find it hard to get them up and I tried, but I just can't squeeze them in and don't really want to "jump the shark"

Reply #423931 | Report this post

Freddy  
Years ago

Sad panda Jack... Sad Panda

Reply #423932 | Report this post

Freddy  
Years ago

"At the start of the season I knew I would find it hard to get them up and I tried"

Take some of those blue pills the mavs boys are taking to get more up :)

Reply #423934 | Report this post

+  
Years ago

dali lama doing any pregame talks for anyone ?

Reply #424155 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The Dali Lama would give one with the lot

Reply #424166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Top five win, bottom five loose, the predictability is painfully obvious and killing the sport

Reply #424382 | Report this post

Whats up  
Years ago

I know one top 5 team that didn't win and it wasn't painfully predictable but always possible

Reply #424386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hmm them up yonder in the hills :) goes to show the quality without Tess.

Reply #424387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thought South girls did a good job against Sturt.

Reply #424388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack must be feeling unloved. This must be the 8th time he's "quit" when really, all he wants is for people to say "please don't quit". Sooky sooky la la.

Reply #424389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

389 how crass

Reply #424391 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

389 you should be banned from this site!!!!

Reply #424392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

+1 Anon

Reply #424395 | Report this post

fan  
Years ago

Jack knows he's loved - his work is awesome:)

Reply #424396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

whats up, how are a north any different without Hill and goes for most temas when you take out key player/s. Take out two from norwood and you have ordinary peresonified.

Reply #424402 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

389, "LOL" I think you need a bit more bait on your blunt hook.
Unfortunately, it takes time to do it and I just can't squeeze it in! Prior to the season commencing I gave everyone my intentions not to do this review for this season due to time constraints, but decided to have a go and if you read my response back then I said I would give it a go, but couldn't promise it each week.

It's not the 8th time as you suggest, only once.

Reply #424403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Southern boys beat top side Bearcats last night, maybe post mens v womens league when sprouting crud about predictability, men have 5 teams compeating for final 2 spots and the top 2 arent guaranteed to hold top seed either. Forestville purchasing some hardware in Gibson to bulk up their squad.. While other teams homegrown talent be getting big numbers.

Reply #424410 | Report this post

eagle rock  
Years ago

again eagles have shown how proactive they are bringing in huge player who further assist in club morale development and impact across club - the more clubs embrace players of this quality the better for all- all club had opportunity to contact gibo but eagles again demonstrate why they are the club of choice

Reply #424447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ Ummmmm....wrong. Gibbo would have played with West but they have Cadee and Johnson. In fact he trained with West to keep in shape for the Aussie series against China. Simply at Forestville as they have a restricted player spot available, are currently shitting themselves about their record, and so in true F'ville form open up the cheque book. To try and claim Gibbo wanted to play there over anybody else is a fantasy.

Reply #424454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ Bam that's a wet fish right there.... When will clubs realise that propping up your crumbling towers doesn't help! ABA is not the NBL its district, please respect the district competition and grow your stocks and take a risk...

Reply #424462 | Report this post

Kurt Tippett  
Years ago

How do they fit him in under the salary cap or get away with what they are doing, is what i would like to know? :)

Reply #424474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have you seen Forestville's junior boys program? No wonder they need to import players!!

Reply #424475 | Report this post

Years ago

Forestville care nothing for their junior programs nor the salary cap.

The only thing their juniors are good for are making money to pay their senior programs needs.

Reply #424478 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Could not agree more.....

What chance South this week, pay the forfeit fine and go and get smashed at a pub not at Wayville All Stars game night venue

Reply #424487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ Disagree use it as an incentive South to step up and play basketball at a higher level and knock the eagle of it's perch..

Reply #424493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And Arnott has no influence what so ever.... BS. Fville do what they want. Whats the bet that if gibbo has to miss a couple due to boomers or 6ers commitments he will get cleared for finals. Got told he was only playing 5 games and that an email has gone around talking bout dispensations for higher level commitments.. Absolute disregard for the by laws and BSA make it up as they go along if that happens and only 1 team could get away with it!

Reply #424507 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

If he is involved in the boomers camp... Don't think he will be playing finals anyway.

Reply #424509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon 507

What by-laws?

Weren't they, like the Salary Cap agreement, written by BASA, an Organisation that no longer exists? So, therefore aren't enforceable!

Reply #424510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ Sounds like someone who likes to make sure the loopholes don't bite you in the arse? BASA/BSA all a mockery of elite basketball, there's a stench in the Adelaide Arena its rotten administration and the bodies of good people it's sapped the life out of.

Reply #424527 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

is very intersting how an oversighted bylaw suddenly is installed and coincidentially same time a player who clearly fits that bylaw bobs up at a certain club

how is it that rules can change / be adjusted part way into season but when clubs need some sort of support because of implications of rules nothing is able to change / be done because of by laws ruling

fascinating stuff to observe

Reply #424552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Feel free to expand on that anon as its the first I've heard of any Bylaws changes

Reply #424562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

According to the bylaws a plyer only needs to suit up and get subbed in to one game to qualify for finals. Is this right?

Reply #424567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That depends - is it a Forestville player?

Reply #424569 | Report this post

dko  
Years ago

4.5. Player Eligibility for the Major Round
To satisfy a player's participation in a Central ABL game, the player must satisfy both of the following requirements:
a) the following must occur at some point during the Central ABL game:
i) The player’s name is recorded on the scoresheet
ii) The player is present on the team bench
iii) The player must be wearing an official playing uniform
iv) The player must meet all other by-law and rule requirements with respect to being able to be subbed onto the court, including those relating to uniforms, jewellery, footwear, hair, casts and braces
b) at least one of the following must occur:
i) The player must be subbed onto the court for the Central ABL game, as evidenced by the court time indicated on the official game statistics
ii) The player must be subbed onto the court for another game in the SA District competition in the same week as the Central ABL game.

Reply #424570 | Report this post

Freddy  
Years ago

So a player to be eligible for finals must be subbed onto the court at some stage during the CABL season.

That is effing terrible. There are harsher major round qualifications for social basketball!

Ridiculous!

Reply #424572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That was changed prior to the season starting not during.

Reply #424573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'The player must be subbed onto the court for another game in the SA District competition in the same week as the Central ABL game.'

So does that mean they don't have to suit up for CABL even just a reserves or 23s game which is played during the CABL season?

Or have I read that wrong?

Reply #424582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They have to be subbed into 2 games at some point, 1 a CABL game the other ANY district comp age group division they qualify for.

Clubs can introduce star players as once off's at any time, call up favours and heck even replace their regular team with Star subs come finals if required, names like Cadee, DJ, Gibson get associated with CABL whether that's good or bad who knows but it shows us what the BSA stand.

Is it good or bad? I say it's bad, look at West great start to season but is the team benefiting now? Hopefully Gibson throws the Eagles off game as well. Let Clubs do it smart clubs will avoid it.

Reply #424587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't believe something so clearly written is misunderstood. Idon't have the bylaws with me but basically you need to participate in x number of games (I think it is 8). Games missed due to higher commitments are included so games played recently missed due toplaying for Australia are included. I wonder when Gibbo was registered - hopefully not back dated to prior tothe games in Perth!!

Apart from higher duties participation in a game is suited up, on the score sheet, and being on the court. An example of this is when North subbed Petrieon for 6 seconds. However the second part of the bylaw is there to allow U23's or div 2 players who sit on the bench in ABL games to play in finals if a team is hit with injuries (but can apply to anyone) In this case you need tobe on the scoresheet for the ABA game, be suited up and then be on the court for a Div 2 game or an U23 game or lower level in the same week.

The analogy is the Power making the GF, being decimated with injuries and bringing a player up from the SANFL on their list who has played an AFL game all year.

Reply #424588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

should read "has NOT played a game" ^^^

Reply #424590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Games missed do to injury are added in same way as higher duty yeah? you don't even have to hit the court if your on the injured long term list I think.

Reply #424611 | Report this post

Years ago

Well done again to Forestville, to show that you have no faith at all in club juiors.

Bringing in not only Gibson, but Oakley and Mottram shows that any club junior should go and find a game somewhere else.

Reply #424616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah well they've lost plenty of women players over the last few years due to the coach not having faith in her players, or just treating them badly

Reply #424619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am aware of a couple of high profile women from F/Ville already sounding out options elsewhere for next year!!

Reply #424623 | Report this post

Facts..  
Years ago

Great who are they...

Reply #424626 | Report this post

dko  
Years ago

#588 - the Central ABL bylaws are released in conjunction with SA District bylaws. ABL bylaws have precendent where there is conflict - see 1.2.(c)(i) Only need to play one District game in the same week - can't see if that is mon-sun, or sun-sat. Doesnt specify if its the week preceeding or succeeding. Link is at
http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=1-3656-0-0-0&sID=39559

1.2. Rules and Regulations
a) The SA District competition is governed by:
The SA District By-Laws
The FIBA Rules of Basketball

b) The Central ABL competition is governed by:
i) The Central ABL By-Laws listed in this document
ii) The SA District By-Laws
iii) The FIBA Rules of Basketball

c) In cases where rules/by-laws in these documents conflict:
i) The Central ABL by-laws take precedence over the SA District By-Laws and the FIBA Rules of Basketball
ii) The SA District By-Laws take precedence over the FIBA Rules of Basketball

d) The Central ABL By-Laws and SA District By-Laws are reviewed annually by the Basketball SA Competitions Committee and any changes are approved by the Basketball SA Commission.

Reply #424627 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:35 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754