Gary
Years ago

Future NBL coaches?

Who is the next batch of NBL coaches?
Are there any up and coming coaches at SEABL/ State Leagues, ex NBL players or current assistants that are ready to take the next step? And will any team take a chance on them?
Next season 3 new coaches - only one is a new NBL head coaching (Vickerman) the other 2 are recycled (Gleeson, Dennis).

Topic #31955 | Report this topic

alexkrad  
Years ago

I would like to think most of the assistants around the NBL would be aspiring head coaches. And they would know league from a coaching point of view better than most.

Whether or not that transpires to be a good head coach is debatable.

Reply #424024 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Good question I'd like to see the answer to. It's bothered me as well.

I hope the Boards haven't gone all negative, looking for reasons to drop coaches and then seeing if anyone's left, rather than concentrating on their good points. The names usually thrown around have lots of positives, but all have some negative baggage (Westover, Palmer, Goorjian, Stacker, Clarke, Gleeson, etc).

Reply #424027 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

I would take Goorjian over any coach. I think he should still be the boomers coach actually

Reply #424030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about Australian coaches over in the US College system?

Reply #424168 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Ben Knight is clearly keen to pursue a career in coaching. He has been coaching the Norths Waratah championship team in Sydney & became an asst to Heal at the Kings last season. Those who've worked with him all say he's a cluey guy so possibly a future head coach.

Reply #424171 | Report this post

Mimas11  
Years ago

I am pretty sure a number of SEABL Coaches would be thrilled with the opportunity to be an Assistant Coach in the NBL. The difficulty for them is that positions are often not advertised and instead people already linked with development teams etc promoted.
This is great for those people to be rewarded but closes the door to many other coaches who may be more experienced/better suited to positions.

Reply #424299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Like so many in the Kings program since they have re started it's not what you know it's who you know. Turner had his favoutites for coaching and playing and the exact same thing can be said about Heal.
Works well eh.

Reply #424351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Matt Shanahan, Brett Maher

Reply #424355 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Pero Cameron (Wellington Saints)
Paul Henare (Hawkes Bay Hawks and Southland Sharks and now Breakers Assistant Coach)

Reply #424356 | Report this post

Mimas11  
Years ago

Thankyou Mystro, glad we could get some good suggestions.

Anon 424355 - talk us through your suggestions? Coaching resume of both?

Reply #424357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

David Patrick

Reply #424358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I explain myself to nobody

Reply #424359 | Report this post

Mimas11  
Years ago

Why am I not surprised...

Reply #424361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whatever bro. I can have my opinion I stick by my choices. One thing we agree on is Paul Henare has a future as a coach I have seen some coaches step in without experience

Reply #424362 | Report this post

Mimas11  
Years ago

Can you elaborate on that?...

No.

You've been watching to much popovic.

Reply #424363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you a kiwi homo?

Reply #424364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nick Abdicevic from Tigers champ team. Has come up thru the ranks and succeed at every level including state level. ( Im not a tigers person )

Reply #424365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nick hasn't done it with the men at big v level yet! Men don't tend to take getting screamed at to well!

Reply #424394 | Report this post

Wayne  
Years ago

Yer heard he wont coach the BIG V Melbourne team because they are bad and it wont look good on his resume. You cant pick and choose what teams you coach. He lets some other guy coach the team and take all the L's. I am sure if they were a good team he would put his hand up.

Reply #424398 | Report this post

Mimas11  
Years ago

Ben Harvey?

Reply #424404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I second Pero Cameron and Paul Henare.

Also, Brad Davidson. Coaches Norwood in ABL and did the u20 state champs.

Reply #424500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

David patrick

Reply #424501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree Ben Knight is a potential NBL head coach but only if he to commit his coaching and leave the night life to the players.

Reply #424813 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:33 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754