Anonymous
Years ago

Miami Heat offseason

I have heard discussion of a trade that brings Demarcus Cousins to the Heat for Chris Bosh. This trade makes sense to me as Cousins definitely has the upside, the Heat would save money cap wise, and I'm sure Lebron and Wade would have a positive impact on Cousins.

http://www.rantsports.com/nba/2013/06/05/miami-heat-should-entertain-notion-of-trading-chris-bosh-this-offseason/

Thoughts?

Topic #31982 | Report this topic

MACDUB  
Years ago

DeMarcus would struggle to accept his role IMO. Especially coming from Sacramento.

They should look at getting Asik. Rebounds, plays defence and finishes around the rim.Would free up some cash. This would only really work if Houston didnt manage to get Dwight.

Reply #424412 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

I don't know why everyone is so down on Bosh; the whole Miami defensive scheme is based on having a super mobile C with all the switching and pressure that they do. Besides Noah, Dwight (if healthy) I can't really think of too many other bigs who have the mobility that he does. Plus with Wade and Lebron you need a big man who can shoot from mid range and Bosh is one of the best guys for that.
I understand he did not light the world on fire but I personally thought he played pretty well. He has not once let his ego get in the way, not too many guys that would have gone from being an All Star and number 1 option on a team to accepting the 3rd role.
I honestly think they need more help at the forward position (the role that Battier and Miller are playing). Battier just looked exhausted as the playoffs went on. I think they need to add some athleticism there myself, and I don't know if they have the money for that anyway.

Reply #424421 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

I don't know why everyone is so down on Bosh; the whole Miami defensive scheme is based on having a super mobile C with all the switching and pressure that they do. Besides Noah, Dwight (if healthy) I can't really think of too many other bigs who have the mobility that he does. Plus with Wade and Lebron you need a big man who can shoot from mid range and Bosh is one of the best guys for that.
I understand he did not light the world on fire but I personally thought he played pretty well. He has not once let his ego get in the way, not too many guys that would have gone from being an All Star and number 1 option on a team to accepting the 3rd role.
I honestly think they need more help at the forward position (the role that Battier and Miller are playing). Battier just looked exhausted as the playoffs went on. I think they need to add some athleticism there myself, and I don't know if they have the money for that anyway.

Reply #424422 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Exactly right, celtic green.

They do need Bosh, especially come end of season when it's winning time. Just look at how good all the best teams are at the pick and roll game. Bosh has good mobility and he has good length to disrupt passes as well. He is one of the best pick and roll defenders in the league, even the commentators say that. On offense, he keeps the bigs out of the paint with his mid range game, freeing things up for the best slashing players in the league to do what they do.

In saying all this, he could not defend Duncan at all. That's why I propose an actual Center like Greg Oden to come in next season. He'll be cheap too. I think if Miami add that element, chalk up another championship. Perfect complement to Bosh.

I would say they keep the current team. They have good enough on-ball pressure with Chalmers and Cole who are developing all aspects of their games, they have enough offensive firepower, they would have enough size if Oden comes in, they have good defensive personnel and loads of experience, coaching and leadership.

From a financial standpoint, you would think Arison would want the success to keep rolling because he know he has a good thing (possibly a record-breaking thing) going on. I propose--ideal circumstances--amnesty Joel Anthony, get Oden in for much the same money; pick Chris Andersen up again, but he will want more than the $700,000 he was on this season; pick up Howard (one more experienced head can't hurt); Varnado (shot blocker), Harrellson (floor spacer); do whatever you want with Harris (floor spacer); not that those guys really matter, but it's not like they caused any problems last season so keep them; and that's the roster. Arison will have to put the hand in the pocket, there's no way around it, with the cap looking to be around $58.5 million and my prediction for next season's salary at $88-90 million.

Side note, Kobe alone will take up a little more than half of the whole team's salary cap next year.

Reply #424434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with the Oden idea, if they can get him could be a real x factor, i would also like to see them grab someone similar to Aaron Baynes (or Baynes himself) as another big who can help guard guys like Hibbert, Howard, Duncan, Baynes would also come cheap and wouldnt complain about playing time and is bigger and a better all round player than say Joel Anthony.

I also like Bosh and wouldnt trade him, he especially on offense fits in well and is a decent rebounder and defender.

I wouldnt mind seeing something like this

C Oden/Baynes
PF Bosh/Andersen/Haslem
SF LeBron/Battier/Miller
SG Wade/Allen
PG Chalmers/Cole

Still use the small ball line up plenty, but has the opportunity to go big, also takes pressure off Oden mentally and physically as he wont be required to do heaps, just rebound and defend and wont have to play big minutes, start him off at around 15-20 mins and see how his body holds up. Could be a great long term pick up given he is still young and a former top pick with huge potential, but no real dramas if he goes down again and barely plays from the Heats point of view so nothing to lose and Oden could pick up a title along the way, and re-establish himself in the league so win win.

so basically adding in Oden and Baynes for James Jones and Joel Anthony, if you can still fit in guys like R.Lewis, great, but not too fussed if they cant.

Reply #424437 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Jones will pick up the player option for sure. He's exactly the kind of guy the Heat need. Any realistic championship contender needs multiple guys who can really shoot.

Reply #424438 | Report this post

The Cheese  
Years ago

I second the value of Bosh. People are so quickly to out him after his underwhelming finals series merely based on points but Bosh did what it takes and that didn't always show up on the stat sheet. Bosh was playing positions he was not used to playing or wanted to play and he was holding his own. Obviously his points were not going to be off the charts when he has bigs rigourously defending him and him defending bigs throughout the whole game. Regardless, Miami has plenty of offensive options.

I also agree that there are not many players who would make sacrifices like Bosh has. That is one of the great things about Miami. They have all taken sacrifices in the team. Not just financially either (and I also still wonder why people hate on Lebron because he chose the desire to win over the desire for the bigger contract). Every player in the team has taken a step back for someone else. They say that it is superstar ball in Miami but I think it is the opposite. It is great to see a team so focused on being the best that they can be and taking the sacifices to achieve that.

Anyway back to offseason pickups - a big man like Oden would relieve the pressure on Bosh and allow him to play his usual game in the PF position. I would think Miami would be very dangerous with a pickup like that. Thats the cheese.

Reply #424450 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

Oden would be a great pick-up for them; they would also be the perfect team for Oden. They don't need him to play a lot of minutes or take up too much of the scoring load, he cold just come in, play defence and get re-acclimatised to the NBA. Also with those guys on the team the media storm would pass him by in a way.
I don't think they need to bring back Howard though. I think Miami needs to add some young blood guys who they can bring through their system (like the Spurs do). Gamble on athleticism and youth rather than another old head like Howard. They are old enough as it is and with their draft picks sucking every year (late first round every time) they need to roll the dice a bit

Reply #424934 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:12 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754