HBS
Years ago

NBA draft on TV?

Is the NBA draft getting shown on ESPN here in Aus at all? I've tried to look for it but seem to be not finding much

Topic #32012 | Report this topic

Aussie  
Years ago

yeh live on espn on friday morning according to guide on http://www.espn.com.au/

Reply #424821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ESPN 7am for Perth viewers

Reply #424822 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Start time 9.30 I believe for SA

Reply #424824 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

My mock
1. Len
2. Noel
3. Porter
4. Bennett
5. Oladipo
6. Burke
7. MCW
8. McCollum
9. Mclemore
10. Zeller
11. Karasev
12. Adams

Len at $4 to go 1st overall, Noel $1.67, Porter $4 (sportsbet)

Reply #424827 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

Matty perhaps with, Timberwolves, Pacers, Phoenix or Memphis

Reply #424848 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I think Adams may go at #10 to Portland but hope he goes at #12 to OKC.

Reply #424850 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

No way Len goes number one. Only way Len would go number 1 is if Portland had the first pick!

If Cleveland decide to go with a big, then I reckon it's Noel.

They are sending out mixed messages, saying that they will draft the best player available, regardless of position, but also that they want to be in the playoffs next season. Those two goals don't really work together.

If I was their GM, I would take Noel, sit him for as much of the season as possible, let him put on some size in the weight room, and take the risk on missing the playoffs, but acquiring another solid asset through what will be a stacked 2014 lottery.

Reply #424865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My mock...
1. Oladipo
2. Noel
3. Porter
4. Bennett
5. McLemore
6. Len
7. McCollum
8. Burke
9. Karasev
10. Zeller
11. Adams
12. MCW

Reply #424867 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

any stream sites for the draft?

Reply #424869 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

From what I've seen, you'd think they'd draft Noel. It sounds like a smart move, but I doubt they would hide him in the gym for half a season. They'd play him, but I think they should shift him to PF to make sure there is a big body to have his back on court. It's a necessity for the lower level teams in the NBA to have a solid big. Have a look at all the lower teams, most if not all are deficient in the paint, namely at Center.

Reply #424880 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Statsheet Stuffer, I believe the earliest Noel will be ready to train on court is late December at best, so he will miss a fair chunk of the season regardless.

Reply #424882 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

I guess you can't rush young guys who've had major injuries back too quickly.

Reply #424884 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Noel won't put on much weight, his overall frame is too small to bulk up much more.

Reply #424885 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Mystro, if that is the case, then he is going to get murdered in the NBA. I believe he is about 205 pounds at the moment, that's less than Oladipo who stands 6'4". He's going to need to be at least 235 to hold down the four spot in the NBA.

Reply #424886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Noel needs to get in the weight room pronto. Given the weakness of this draft I wouldn't be surprised to see a few first founders play some D league this year

Reply #424887 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Just checking the pre-draft measurements, Delly, all 6'4" of him, weighed in at 205 pounds, as compared to 6'11" Noel's 206 pounds!

If Noel could shoot the ball, at all, he'd be projected as a Kevin Durant type, tall three-man. But everyone is projecting him as a centre. Some have not started to say he's a PF, but either way, everything agrees that he's a big. But he's just too damn light. I can't see how he's going to survive the full grind of being a big man over the course of an 82 game season. I think he's going to be injured a lot.

Reply #424888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would take Ben McLemore 1st to be honest.

Reply #424890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McLemore has issues away from the floor - not a very hard worker either if you believe the reports.

Cavs need help for Kyrie NOW, they cant afford to wait or when his contract comes up he'll leave.

Reply #424906 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Is the draft happening right now? Whats going on?

Reply #424907 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Noel just screams bust IMO.

Porter will make an immediate impact IMO.

Bennett can flat out play. People just forgot about him because he has the 'tweener' tag. Not a 3. Not a 4. I dont care..he can ball

Burke -- dont know what the fuss is. He is a 6 ft shoot first PG.

Oladipo - absolute crazy hard worker. Will be the glove. Is a defensive stud. Most athletic player probably in the draft.

McCollum -- teams trying to find the next Steph Curry. Is hit or miss.

McLemore -- have also heard that he lacks work ethic. Think he is overhyped..benefited a lot from his Kansas teammates IMO

Len -- really nice player. Probably a more safe pick than Noel.

Reply #424910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting Aussie connection with Porter.

His uncle is Marcus Timmons!

Reply #424912 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Noel can flat out play, no question. He's got crazy athleticism, and 4.4 blocks and 2.2 steals per game is sensational. He just doesn't have a position at the next level. He's too light to be a dominant big, but he can't shoot jumpers at all, so can't play as a wing. If he could shoot the ball, I reckon he could play the three-spot. That would be scary, but at this stage, it's a pipe dream, because he can barely hit a free-throw let alone a jump shot.

Reply #424924 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I agree Vart, there is no way his slight frame will stand up to banging bodies in the paint over the course of an NBA season without sustaining injury after injury. Hell his knees are already busted.

Reply #424942 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

All I care about is seeing some Aussies drafted!

Reply #424946 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I don't like your chances YouknowME!

Mystro, I agree about Noel. I must admit I was not surprised when he blew out his ACL, have you seen how ridiculously skinny his legs are? His jumping ability combined with his skinny legs has knee and ankle injuries written all over them.

Reply #424947 | Report this post

Rav  
Years ago

ESPN Experts rate this a very weak draft.
ESPN Player Ratings Below:

Tier 1

Players:
None

Note: This category is usually reserved for guys who are surefire All-Stars and franchise players. Since 2009, only Blake Griffin, John Wall and Anthony Davis have been ranked in this slot. This year, there just isn't anyone who looks like a "surefire" anything.

Tier 2
Players:
None

Note: Tier 2 is reserved for players who are projected as potential All-Stars by scouts. They are typical high lottery picks in a normal draft. Last year, Bradley Beal, Harrison Barnes and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist all got the nod as Tier 2 players. In 2011, Kyrie Irving and Derrick Williams were in this tier.

This year, I couldn't get a majority of teams to project anyone in this draft as a potential All-Star. Nerlens Noel, Ben McLemore and Anthony Bennett all got a vote or two from teams that had them in Tier 2, but the overwhelming majority of teams I talked to had these players ranked as Tier 3 prospects. This is the first draft tiers column I've ever done where no players are ranked in Tier 2.

Tier 3
Players:
Anthony Bennett
Alex Len
Ben McLemore
Nerlens Noel
Victor Oladipo
Otto Porter Jr.

Note: These are the top six guys in the draft and one of the few places that you'll find consensus. While there are a few exceptions, there's a good chance that these six players will be the first six to hear their names called on draft night. Teams have these six ordered differently depending on need or whether they are looking for immediate help or upside, but every team I spoke with had these six as their top six in some order.

Tier 4
Players:
Steven Adams
Trey Burke
Michael Carter-Williams
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
C.J. McCollum
Cody Zeller

Note: After Tier 3, the consensus breaks down pretty quickly. These are typical late-lottery to mid-first-round selections in a normal draft -- selections 10-20. In this draft, this group is more likely to be drafted in the 7-14 range. Burke, McCollum and Carter-Williams got a small number of votes for Tier 3, but the majority had them ranked in Tier 4. Zeller was ranked in Tier 4 by every team I spoke with. Caldwell-Pope and Adams had some Tier 5 votes, but the majority of votes was in Tier 4.

Tier 5
Players:
Giannis Antetokounmpo
Reggie Bullock
Isaiah Canaan
Allen Crabbe
Gorgui Dieng
Jamaal Franklin
Rudy Gobert
Archie Goodwin
Erick Green
Tim Hardaway Jr.
Pierre Jackson
Sergey Karasev
Shane Larkin
Ricardo Ledo
C.J. Leslie
Tony Mitchell
Shabazz Muhammad
Mike Muscala
Lucas Nogueira
Kelly Olynyk
Mason Plumlee
Glen Rice Jr.
Dennis Schroeder
Tony Snell
Jeff Withey
Nate Wolters

Note: This next group is the largest Tier 5 I've ever had, and it shows where the strength of the draft is. There is incredible depth here, and it's not uncommon to hear teams say that the player drafted at No. 35 might be as good as the player at No. 15. There is a whopping 26 players in this group. At least eight of these players won't hear their names called in the first round.

A few teams had Antetokounmpo, Karasev, Muhammad and Nogueira in Tier 4, but not quite enough for them to make the cut. Interestingly, Ledo got two votes for Tier 4 and is a guy who clearly has been impressing people in workouts.

Reply #424963 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:01 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754