Ingles13
Years ago

Bill Simmons v Doc Rivers

For those of you that tuned into the draft (and there were a lot considering the comments in the draft thread) you would have likely seen the very slight war of words beginning with Doc Rivers and Bill Simmons late(ish) in the second round. Simmons started off by saying Doc quit on the celtics and that he didn't wanna stay around during the rebuilding phase followed by Doc essentially calling him an idiot. Doc's son (not Austin, I forgot his name but he's younger I believe) went on to tweet 4-5 times @ BS letting him know what he thought of him. BS sarcastically responded by tweeting and I'm paraphrasing: "when I get him I'm signing up my 5 yr old son to defend me against Doc's children".

Since then, BS retweeted a quote/article about Doc accusing BS of trying to run him out of town a few years ago. The rest of this feud of words can be followed on BS's twitter or googling it. I'm on my phone so can't get links easy

Topic #32031 | Report this topic

m  
Years ago

Just a really, really bad week for Boston fans with the Celtics, Bruins and Patriots. I love BS not sure why he would respond to Doc's comments. Just leave it.

Reply #425414 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

His son is Jeremiah. As hard as it would be to do nothing, I don't think him tweeting helped. Listened to a podcast on Weei today and they said the two called each other and talked it out. Simmons is a Clips season ticket holder so it will be interesting to see how the year goes.

Reply #425420 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

I like Simmons but in this case I thought his reasoning was all wrong. From the way it seemed to play out the the Celtics where more than happy to get rid of Doc (and his $7 million a year salary) and start the rebuilding process. The fact they got a first round draft pick out of it made it all the better (Riley only got 2nd rounders when he went to Miami if I remember correctly).

I can't see why he is so bitter about this, even the owners said they where happy for Doc to go. My own personal take on it is thanks very much for some great memories and all the best in the future Doc (also the same with Ray Allen who I still think should not be hated for going to Miami after he was nearly traded like 3 years in a row but I am going off topic here)

Reply #425424 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Once again I agree with celtic green. Doc leaving is no big deal. I think it was a good outcome for all parties.

I didn't read what Simmons said, but he was probably just trying to stir up the story a bit. He is, after all, in the sports entertainment business!

Reply #425554 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

He seemed pretty pissed about it in the interview he had on Grantland; I think he was talking with Abbot or one of the other ESPN guys (can't remember now). Say that the owners would be pissed at Doc. They came out the day of the trade saying no bad feelings, all the best, thanks for getting us the draft pick. WTF Simmons?

Reply #425619 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:23 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754