Mystro
Years ago

Crocs sign Conklin as Import

The Townsville Crocs are being reported in NZ to have signed the Southland Sharks Import 198cm Forward Brian Conklin (23-year-old from St Louis University).

His stint with the Southland Sharks is his first overseas assignment since finishing up playing and studying in America.

His last outing for the Sharks he had 32 points and 8 boards against Waikato (not the strongest Waikato Pistons squad this season though).

Topic #32035 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

Do you think Dennis is looking for the next Redhage? He's from St Louis so you suspect Lisch has said he's a good kid.

Reply #425453 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

He's married already to his childhood sweetheart and all reports so far are that he's a great guy.

His current coach who signed him to the Southland Sharks is Paul Henare and he's playing with Kevin Braswell, Reuban TeRangi and Leon Henry.

Reply #425454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good to see a guy from NZ get a shot at the NBL, hopefully he does well and we see a few more guys given a go.

Always wondered why guys like Pace who have done well in NZ for years have never been given a go in one of the cheap import spots around the league.

Will watch with interest how he turns out and if any others from NZ/SEABL/State leagues are given a go,

Reply #425456 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

This guy is a 14 & 5 guy from the Atlantic 10 so I dont know that he's necessarily a lower end import, just first gig out of college is NZ.

Josh Pace is one that has definitely surprised me that he hasnt had a look in. Does anyone know if NBL teams have had him in for workouts?

Reply #425457 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Anyone actually seen him play? What's his game like? Is he similar to Redhage or is it just a generalisation due to his skin colour?

Doesn't appear to have a 3 point shot whatsoever which is a bit worrying for a guy who's 6'6" in this league, but too early to tell whether that's going to limit his effectiveness without seeing him play.

I wonder what the intention is here and where he fits in on the roster, as a backup to Blanchfield or as an undersized four?

I like that he's young, the Crocs haven't had a young import in a long time. Hopefully if he's any good he can stick around for the long haul.

Wing depth was definitely a position of need so can't complain about this signing as a Crocs fan.

Reply #425468 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Conklin's former college coach, the late Rick Majerus, on his game: "Conklin has character, heart and is a tough kid who likes to compete. He's a kid who loves to keep score."

It would seem he was also named an Academic All-American, which means he should have a great head on his shoulders.

All green lights for me. Everything is there upstairs.

Roster is taking shape now, with only two spots left to fill (starting centre and another wing, most likely)

These last two spots are going to make or break this team.

Please Lord do not let them sign another guard. They need more size, athleticism and scoring. No more guards.

PG: Markovic, Norton
SG: PC, Djeric
SF: Blanchfield, ???
PF: Conklin, Holmes
C: ???, Hinder

At this point it's probably looking like the oft-rumoured Will Hudson is going to be the best fit up front to keep the squad mobile and versatile. Dennis has said he wants to play up tempo and run off turnovers.

The only problem with that is it ties up your last wing slot to a local player, and local wings with legit size who can walk, talk and chew gum are rare. Cam Tovey would be a perfect fit if he wasn't so damn hellbent on being an accountant.

Could be wrong here but it seems as though Conklin is an undersized frontcourt player and not a 3, no?

Reply #425480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder if the plan is to have a sf/pf rotation of Conklin, Blanchfield, Holmes splitting the minutes between them, hence not too worried about that 10th man spot but agree it should be a sf/sg for the last spot, any decent guys returning from college that you could get for min $$? If not who would be the best NZ/Aussie sf not signed out there? Leon Henry was let go by NZ, anyone better out there?

Hudson would be a good fit for starting C and probably affordable too.

Reply #425485 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I was gonna say Mathiang Muo but then saw Perth had sneakily signed him to a three year deal...

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but it seems all of the Aussie college seniors this year have either already been signed in the NBL, aren't up to NBL standard, or are too good for a bench role / are headed OS.

Reply #425491 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

I dont think too many college aussies have been signed yet? theres probably plenty who have finnished up colege but very few spots. Who out of the Aus uni team is good enough that misnt already signed?

Reply #425492 | Report this post

Mimo  
Years ago

Watched him in NZ league and hes a banger. Wouldn't want him as my best import though

Reply #425495 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Sorry YouknowMe I meant specifically Aussie seniors from 12/13 who are suitable for that backup wing spot behind Blanchfield.

Reply #425499 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

There are only two guys in the Uni Games team not comitted to playing anywhere yet - Dumovic and Broekhoff. Broekhoff will be in Europe for sure, so I guess Dumovic could possibly land a back-up NBL gig somewhere.

Reply #425500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who would you want to sign Mick? would you go for someone like Henry, Herbert type who are playing well in NZ/SEABL and have some NBL experience?

Or try and find a young local to fill the spot and see what happens, under the assumption that they will be the 10th man and wont be required to play many minutes next season?

Either way could realistically be ok, but yea no real stand out/obvious selection is there.

Reply #425502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Being a big man Dumovic would be a good fit in sydney

Reply #425510 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Definitely no standout candidates. Young local isn't really an option, there simply aren't any big guards or wings available.

I'd definitely rather go young if possible though. Surely there's more than a few fringe NBL quality wings floating around. Someone else would know better than me.

You've got guys like Leon Henry and Graeme Dann fresh off NBL stints as well. Both leave a bit to be desired in the brains department though.

Reply #425512 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

A league with Graeme Dann in it is a league I would find it hard to support! I would rather try someone new and it be a flop then use a tried and tested flop and give him way more oppurtunities then he deserves. Ben Allen, Graeme Dann.... Find your nearest exit thanks

Reply #425515 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Yeah I agree. But who else is there that has NBL size at the wing that is available?

Serious question.

I don't follow SEABL at all so I'm guessing there would be some prospects playing in that league? Any names?

Reply #425521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nathan Herbert, probably a bit small, but he is one that comes to mind, imo could play sf but is only around 6'4.

Ive only seen a couple of SEABL games and the other top sfs were either imports or signed by NBL club eg Brad Hill, so Herbert is the best i can think of from my limited knowledge of SEABL. Bennie Lewis is playing state league in WA and doing well isnt he? again not ideal but could be the better option available.

Any other NBL quality SF's running around SEABL/NZ who are not already signed or imports?

Daniel Dillon also comes to mind, also more of a guard, but could play some sf, but probably too expensive for the back up sf spot given he is in Europe isnt he?

So as crazy as it sounds to some, Dann may be one of the best available back up sf's, we are talking a end of bench spot so who ever they sign isnt going to need to play much.

If it came down to Lewis, Herbert, Dann who would you chose?

I think Herberts the best player but if you want someone a bit bigger than 6'4 id go Lewis, again as the 10th man, not a starter or anything.

Reply #425524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Joel Naburgs any good?

Reply #425528 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Leon Henry was in talks with Adelaide before they signed BJ Anthony and is still in talks with at least 1 NBL Club so possibly watch this space especially as they both play together for the Zero Fees Southland Sharks in NZNBL.

Reply #425534 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Leon is a nice guy with a big wingspan and a decent 3point shot. He can defend smaller quicker guys and muscle up with bigger guys also.

He's pretty versatile and doesn't carry much of an ego (played some ball in the park with him on weekends).

Reply #425535 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Narburgs is a 2 (SG) and has only just returned from college.

He had a good game on the weekend but might have to show he can consistently put up numbers before being taken seriously when it comes to a NBL roster spot, that said the kid can play so hopefully he continues to develop.

Reply #425536 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

On Conklin i know his agent was shopping him around to SEABL/State league coaches last year without to many takers but obviously he did well in NZ once given the chance.

Some highlight tapes his agent was sending around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpGOufns1s&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLGp1B5rPzE

Reply #425537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea, Henry looks to be the best option for the Crocs doesnt he, bigger than Herbert and probably better than Dann or Lewis.

Reply #425539 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Tigerwatcher whos his agent?

Reply #425555 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Yeah I'd rather have someone like Henry who has a good attitude and makes an effort but is prone to concentration lapses in game than Dann or Lewis who are probably more skilled but just flat out lazy and arrogant.

Reply #425628 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

If you want a good attitude Henry is your man.

He lost his spot at the Breakers to his team mate at the Sharks Reuban TeRangi and all he could say was how happy for Reuban he was.

Similar situation when he first came to the Breakers as short term cover for Penney while he was trialling with the San Antonio Spurs, Penney came back so he was no longer required but to his credit he stuck around and trained hard everyday with the team eventually earning a full time roster spot the following season.

Reply #425671 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Hopefully the Crocs bring him in for that last spot. But i have that sinking feeling they are going to sign another point guard just because.

Reply #425673 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Henry's improvement over the past couple of years has been pretty impressive. He became a solid 10mins guy last year who played his role well. Crocs could do a lot worse.

In 2012 at Olympic qualifiers I watched Henry defend Olimpio Cipriano out of a game (11p on 4/12 and 5to), while going for 15 & 4 himself.

Cipriano is a guy who in his previous four games at major tournaments against Serbia, Germany, Macedonia and Argentina had averaged 20p at 58%!

If Henry can figure out how to consistently put his best game on the floor and limit those mental lapses he could be a very solid back up.

Reply #425678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Conklin is a cheap option import who plays bigger than height. He will bring a great work ethic but see him being very much like Gruber.

Reply #425688 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Graeme 'I once dropped 40 and 20 against Andrew Bogut so I must be awesome' Dann. He must be one of the biggest busts to ever grace the NBL hardwood. Has all the skills in the world and great size, but just could never put it all together.

Reply #425692 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

There were too many lazy guys eager to let games unfold in front of them last year, so someone like this Conklin kid working his butt off every week can't be a bad thing, especially given he can't be expensive.

I see the Crocs being an uptempo, pressure-focused team that will probably struggle to score the ball consistently.

In some ways Will Hudson is the best fit up front for the Crocs to go with that lean, mobile mentality, but on the other hand if you're already giving up a few inches with Conklin and Holmes at the four are you better off trying to get Nevill back?

I really liked what I saw from Nevill and felt his potential hasn't been reached in this league due to playing alongside crappy point guards. He's very intelligent and is great at reading the game. There were so many times last year when he should have got automatic looks but the point guard botched the read out of the pick & roll and Nevill ended up getting a late pass in a good spot or no pass at all. I'd like to see him playing with a pass-first point guard.

Reply #425697 | Report this post

ziah  
Years ago

@paul, ask and you shall receive. Crocs sign Pace as well.

http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/story/1609579/dellavedova-signs-with-cleveland-cavaliers/?cs=81

The centre position is going to be very interesting if they don't have Nevill ready to sign. Who else is there?!!

Reply #425698 | Report this post

ziah  
Years ago

sorry wrong link, just finished reading that story haha!

Correct link from andthefoul.net:

http://andthefoul.net/archives/6588

Reply #425699 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:32 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754