Tall Black Depth charts

What are they?

Id go:

Adams Pledger
Vukona
Abercrombie
Penney C.Webster
Jackson? T.Webster

A good starting side but seemingly lacks depth after that. Who else would you include in the roster?

Topic #32084 | Report this topic

winny  
Years ago

Are Terangi and Anthony up to international level?

What college players do nz have?

Reply #426359 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

-, T.Webster, Tait
Penney, C. Webster, Bartlett
Abercrombie, TeRangi, Henry
Vukona, Anthony, Fotu
Adams, Pledger, Loe

- in case Jackson comes back and naturalizes

Reply #426365 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Isaac Fotu is with the University of Hawaii and had a decent freshman year.
Rob Loe is with the St Louis Billikens and had a decent season.

BJ Anthony has already represented NZ.
Adams won't be a Tall Black for a while if ever (I do think he will eventually make himself available for National duties).

TeRangi has loads of potential (great athleticism and a decent outside shot already and will only improve).

Cory may find himself playing a heap of Point Guard for NZ.

Reply #426366 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Anthony had a good international season in 2011, was really emerging as a strong bench player as was Corey Webster.

Te Rangi mightnt be there yet but he's improving very quickly and is definitely one you put in the mix to get him experience.

Adams/Pledger/Loe/Salt
Vukona/Anthony/Fotu/Frank/Trueman
Abercrombie/M Jones/Henry/Te Rangi
Penney/Bartlett/Prewster/Anderson
Tait/C Webster/T Webster

Reply #426367 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

There A team looks about the strength of our Sino-Aus team. which means if we have a lack of availibility for the upcoming series they could trouble us.... I still wonder who we have availible.. I am sure we have Mills and Newley, outside of that its anyones guess.

Reply #426369 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

^ Lindsays mate haha.
The Saints took out the Sharks last night to win the Regular Season NZNBL title heading into the Finals.

I forgot about Jeremiah, played some good games for Perth last season and looks to be improving at NBL level.
I doubt Marcel Jones will pull on a Tall Blacks Jersey.
If Kevin Braswell gets naturalized I'd expect him to get starting PG duties and be the one naturalized player in place of Casey Frank.

Reply #426371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they were boomers I think only Adams, Pledger,Vukona,Abercrombie and Penney would contend for spots.

Reply #426373 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Penney would start for the Boomers all day and the others would struggle to make an Australia B Team due to Australia's depth.
Vukona could def contribute to an Australia A Team and Lemmanis would prob pick him but any previous Boomers Coach prob wouldn't give him a look.

Reply #426374 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Pretty true anonymous and even then only 3 of them might actually make the team. However, NZ can never be slept on... we have outmatched them in talent in every single game we have ever played against them but in recent times they have managed to give us a hard time.. this is why I want as many of our A team in as possible. Also, I hope Fiba actually gives the winner of this zone there rightful spot.. when we win the spot we tend to only get a harder draw.

Reply #426375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

tall blacks are always a team to be respected. The boomers look great... on paper would prefer to see them on court

Reply #426378 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Tall Blacks have the advantage of team chemistry with most of our starting 5 playing together at the Breakers as with most of the guys off the bench.

Reply #426381 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

thats why I dont understand the dodginess of Australias preperation... spending all this effort on the Uni games... Do we even have lead up games to this NZ series or are they just gonna throw it together and hope for the best?

Reply #426382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There should at least be a lead up tour prior to NZ series where you would hope at least some of our A players are available. It would give Lemanis a good look at the squad

Reply #426383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I should also add most of our team is spread across the globe so we need to get them together more often. That's a huge advantage the tall blacks have. Can't just turn up next year and expect good worlds tournament based on "talent"

Reply #426384 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Pretty much every team next year will have a better warm up into the tournament then us...having to play in cut throat matches with the best just to make it... where as Australia has matches against who? New Zealand and China? We need better competition then that... We have actually done exceptionally well when you consider how battle hardened our opposition usually is. We need to play lead up games against European top sides and even the USA if we can...

Reply #426399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A pissweak Sino series against china and 2 games against NZ (probably our b team) I know it's an off year but this is not a good build up for next year. That's before we factor in Bogut and Jawai's availability and Andersen's age. We have alot of work to do before we can be considered medal contenders

Reply #426413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any kiwis besides Penney based in Europe?

Reply #426432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pro ballers that is

Reply #426433 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

no.

Reply #426451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know Adams just got drafted but the only basketball he has ever played is one season of US high school and 1 season of college playing less than 20 mins a game. Until he gets a little experience playing any basketball (let alone international) Pledger is ahead of him on the NZ center depth chart at the moment IMO. Will be a different story in a few years but as of now has to be Pledger

Reply #426460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree^ Adams is only 20 this month and Pledger has much more experience give Adams 3 years he will move to #1

Reply #426462 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

give Adams 6 weeks and he will move to #1 never mind 3 years.

I would start Pledger purely for team chemistry with Webster, Abercrombie and Vukona all knowing each others games but in a short while Adams would be the #1 choice

Reply #426463 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I was just wondering if Sean Marks has any involvement with New Zealand basketball in any way?

I know he was the first New Zealander to make it to the NBA but surely the national side would be beating down his door wanting him involved.

Reply #426487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe he has become an American citizen and now lives in the states

Reply #426490 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Sean Marks is the Director of Basketball Operations Toros General Manager at the San Antonio Spurs.
He played for the Tall Blacks a number of times before retiring from International duties.

Reply #426494 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Isaac Fotu has confirmed he will not be available for National Duties for the Oceania Series.

Reply #426554 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:19 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754