Mystro
Years ago

Orlando Summer League Updates

In Steven Adams second outing of the tournament the 2.13m 19-year-old produced his best performance of his fledgling pro career as he helped the Thunder advance their record to 3-0 with a 79-75 victory over the Detroit Pistons.

Adams played 31 minutes at centre for the Thunder -- serious minutes in summer league play -- and finished with 11 points on four-of-five shooting from the field and six rebounds. He also went three-of-five from the free-throw line and had just the one turnover.

Adams' efforts were more commendable in that they were achieved in a notable head to head against outstanding Pistons big man Andre Drummond who finished with 12 points and 11 rebounds.

Meanwhile New Zealand Breakers point guard Cedric Jackson has produced a second straight standout display for the Miami Heat at the Orlando tournament.

Jackson, playing 23 minutes as starting point guard for the Heat, finished with five points, eight rebounds and nine assists as Miami defeated the Orlando Magic 94-80 for their second win of the event.

Jackson went just one-of-five from the field, but showed the all-round game familiar to Breakers fans as he made another positive stride in his bid to play his way on to an NBA roster for the 2013-14 season.

Anyone else got any other info on Aussies playing?

Topic #32122 | Report this topic

Vart  
Years ago

The only Aussie playing in Orlando is Brock Motum.

He had 6 point and 1 rebound on perfect shooting (2-2 FG and 2-2 FT) in 7:09 playing time his first game against Houston, then 0 points and 1 rebound (only took one shot) in 5:39 playing time in his second game against Indiana.

Reply #426937 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

It's easy to get caught up in the hype of Summer League, but at this stage, it looks like OKC will really regret selecting Adams. Nothing to do with Adams either, more to do with how good Kelly Olynyk has played. Given that the Thunder are supposed to be contenders, he would have fit in really well with them.

Reply #426938 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

The Thunder were led by Reggie Jackson who went 12-of-19 from the field and nine-of-11 from the free-throw line. He poured in 23 of those points in the final quarter, including 18 straight, as his team erased a 14-point deficit in the final term.
Many of Jackson's looks came off excellent screens set by Adams in the high post.

Reply #426939 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

The Thunder don't need Adams to score points, this guy called Kevin will do that.

They want a big guy who's gonna be healthy to bang bodies, set screens for Westbrook and Durant and rebound the ball when they miss and defend. Adams is more than capable of doing that.

Reply #426940 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Yeah, I get that, and again, I'm not trying to knock Adams. I think he's an excellent long-term prospect. And I agree with your points that he can help them with setting screens and rebounding. I just think Olynyk could have done those things, and more, and probably been more valuable for them right now, as a playoff team.

Time will tell!

Reply #426942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Adams will give a presence at the back of the defence that Olynyk cant, and OKC need that.

Reply #426943 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

But they already have Ibaka to do that.

Reply #426945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adams will be Ibaka on steroids in a few years + with a nice J.

Reply #426948 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I believe they will both co-exist nicely with the Thunder (Adams and Ibaka).
Adams has averaged a couple of blocked shots a game already and is steadily improving which is all the Thunder want.
Have you seen the size of Adams hands and what he was benching at the Draft Combine? He was the strongest in this years draft by a bit and he was also the fastest Centre up and down the court which is prob a big factor in why OKC grabbed him.

Reply #426970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Olynyk would stretch the floor nicely, I agree there Vart, but Adams will give something else. Both would have been good picks.

Reply #426975 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I hope it works out for them (OKC), him (Adams) and you (Mystro).

I seriously was not having a go at Adams. Behind Bogut, Mills and Baynes, he'll be the guy I'm cheering for the loudest. I want him to succeed, and if he's an all-star and defensive player of the year in a few years, then that would be awesome. I was just looking at OKC right now, this season, as a contender, and thought Olynyk would probably help them more, that's all.

I think both of those guys will be good players. In fact, I think they'll both be better than Len and Noel in time.

Reply #426982 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"I hope it works out for them (OKC), him (Adams) and you (Mystro).

I seriously was not having a go at Adams. Behind Bogut, Mills and Baynes, he'll be the guy I'm cheering for the loudest. I want him to succeed, and if he's an all-star and defensive player of the year in a few years, then that would be awesome. I was just looking at OKC right now, this season, as a contender, and thought Olynyk would probably help them more, that's all.

I think both of those guys will be good players. In fact, I think they'll both be better than Len and Noel in time."

I didn't take any offense and cheers bro ;)

Reply #426992 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

It's covered up by the amazing perimeter scoring of RW and KD, but OKC really do need a big whom can score in the paint (if you are concentrated on the offensive end). Don't need another guy shooting extended range because Ibaka does the job; another perimeter big man would just step on toes. They drafted the right man in Adams because defence is the priority in their next big man. Perkins is well overpaid and is getting worse so as soon as Adams develops to a decent player, Perkins is gone pending a major pay cut.

OKC simply don't need the skill set of Kelly Olynyk. Adams is the perfect draftee.

Reply #427055 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

As soon as the Dirk comparisons started, everyone has KO pegged as a shooter, and nothing but a shooter, but that couldn't be further from the truth.

From DraftExpress - "He ranks in the top two (in NCAA) in scoring efficiency on cuts and as the roll man on the pick and roll, in addition to converting a top-ranked 58.3% of his shot attempts in the post and 70% as a finisher at the rim.

He averaged just under 11 shot attempts per game last season, shooting 63% from the floor, with only one three point attempt per game.

Reply #427091 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

OKC have beaten the 76ers to remain unbeaten in Orlando.
Jeremy Lamb poured in an impressive game-high 32 points on 10-of-14 shooting, following the dazzling display from Reggie Jackson against the Pistons yesterday (Jackson was rested against Philly).

Steve Adams had 13 points (4/5 FG, 5/8 FT) and he added five rebounds, two steals and two blocked shots in just over 29 minutes as starting centre for OKC.

Adams later told NBA TV in Orlando that he was still adjusting to the higher levels of competition but was keeping things simple as he starts out as a professional.

"It's a lot more physical, there's a lot more strategy and the skill level has gone up even more than NCAA," he said.

"All OKC is teaching me is just the defensive side of things and being physical, and also that communication is such a big part. They're just making sure I get all the basic stuff.

"That's all I'm focused on when I get into games - everything else is extra. If I score it's extra. I'm just focused on the defensive side."

The 19-year-old New Zealander said he's spending a lot of time with Thunder big man coach Mark Bryant and was soaking up all the information he had to offer.

"He's teaching me all the veteran tricks. Man, it's crazy, he's quite creative, eh."

Reply #427092 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Motum was a DNP-CD in the Philly loss to OKC.

Reply #427164 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

fair to say Motum wont be in the NBA this season. NBL clubs should swarm now

Reply #427165 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Motum wants to go to Europe if he doesn't get an NBA offer.

Reply #427189 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

+ there aren't exactly many spots up for grabs right now in the NBL with most teams having most of their rosters for 2013-14 in place and with that their cash allocated

Reply #427267 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Europe it will be IMO - probably was always the case, but you always have to dip your toe in the water and give it a crack!

Reply #427278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne, Sydney, Perth and Townsville could all have a decent go at him.

Reply #427304 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I've been harping on the Kings going after him for ages now to the point that even though they've got 11 players signed (10 fit ones) I will be disappointed if they don't at least try! They should still have plenty of cash and points and they REALLY need that extra big body up front and Brock would be the perfect fit.

It's a shame that he was probably only 2 when Hammer was playing for the Bullets, as it's been said that if there was a Brisbane team he'd be more of a chance to stick around, but it's a better link than nothing...

Plus it would really counter Boti's latest blog post about us being too guard heavy :)

Reply #427310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cedric Jackson has 4 turnovers in 7 minutes of play!! He is trying to connect too many risky ally oop passes to Dj Stephens who is a athletic freak! If u don't kno him do yourself a favour and check his highlights on YouTube. Andre Drummond is a beast!!

Reply #427322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jackson just stole the ball from Peyton Siva and nice dish to a dude for an and 1.. Commentators praising his hustle and relentlessness. I guess that's what Jackson has made a name for in the NBL. Was great to watch.

Mike Dunnigan looks pretty good out there also! He is MASSIVE dude. Certainly can change a few shots he would be great for the Nbl if they could afford him (tigers or cairns) but I doubt that!!

Reply #427323 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Motum was another DNP-CD in Philly's last game against Orlando.

Reply #427376 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Jackson finished averaging:

5ppg, 5.7rpg, 7apg and 1.8spg.

Only through 21mpg. So he averaged a triple double per 48. Not bad!

But I would imagine the turnovers were a problem.

Reply #427380 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Bayne's agent tweeted last night that the cash is really drying up in European basketball;

From @dmoldovan88 - 'The European market right now is as bad as I've ever seen it. Barring 5 or so teams, there is simply no real $ anymore.'

So perhaps for at least his rookie season, the NBL might not be such a bad place for Motum to start his pro career.

Reply #427382 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

That is true from what I have heard also.

On the flip side, the Middle East is becoming a lucrative option for those that can get over the fear of living in a war-torn region.

Import salaries in Lebanon are $300k plus now. Furthermore, it is all tax-free.

Reply #427389 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I didn't realise how big basketball is in Lebanon until just recently. It is the number one sport there by a mile. Apparently though, whilst the salaries look good, they also struggle with the Euro problem not paying on time, and the funds drying up pretty quickly.

Reply #427391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will this mean we may see a few more of the top Aussies and even quality proven NBL imports playing NBL now?

Would love to see guys like Newley and even imports like EJ Rowland, Ty McKee, etc back in the NBL, i guess the money is also less in the NBL aswell too,

given most teams are going for atleast 1 budget import, not many have a Brooks/Mee type import combo anymore.

Would love to see Motum play NBL, be great for the league!

Reply #427396 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

It may not happen next year, but perhaps the year after. I know one of the proposed structure changes of the new NBL Pty Ltd is to alter the current salary cap. Possibly go with a lower cap, and allow clubs to sign two players outside the cap, but one of those players has to be a local. So guys like Newley, Barlow and Ingles could get decent money to stay here in the NBL.

Reply #427397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The money is still there overseas if you're good enough, former NBA guard Acie Law just re-signed with his team in Greece to a 2 year $2.8 million deal.

Reply #427398 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Only a few teams in each league have the cash anymore.

Places like Spain, Italy, Greece, France are struggling economically so the money simply isn't there outside of a few bigger clubs in the top division.

A number of smaller clubs are paying late or not at all and just sending imports home on the next flight out with no pay!

Reply #427400 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Kirk Penney is still chasing unpaid wages from his stint in Spain.

Reply #427402 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

So perhaps for at least his rookie season, the NBL might not be such a bad place for Motum to start his pro career.

I've been saying for a couple of seasons now that the NBL is a great starting ground for graduating seniors that might be able to get a gig overseas but could use the NBL and the fact that they would do well here, to develop for at least one or two seasons and then demand a position on a better team overseas... Better than riding the bench for a couple of years, even if you've got dual citizenship... It's becoming more and more obvious that the NBL isn't being looked over when it comes to getting noticed overseas, be it the NBA or Europe...

Reply #427406 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:59 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754