NotJackToft
Years ago

CABL Fun Finals Facts

Ok so as you may or may not have realised I like stats. So I have gone over the past 8 years of CABL Finals (2005-2012), to look at some of the unique stats. These are fun facts only, and simply for some light entertainment.

Mens (The last 8 years)

1. The team to finish first in the minor rounds has made it through to every grand final.

2. The team to finish second in the minor rounds has made it through to all but one grand final. In 2008 North finished 2nd, but Norwood who finished 3rd made it through.

3. The team to finish top in the minor rounds, went on to lose every grand final.

4. Average winning score 89. (I am aware the change from 12 to 10 minute quaters)

5. Average losing score is 80.

6. Forestville have featured in every finals series since 2005. Playing in 4 grand finals, going 2-2. The old foe Sturt has also featured in 4, going 1-3.

7. Southern and Centrals are the only teams to not feature in any finals action.

8 . Twice the two grand final teams featured no player from the top 5 in scoring (2011 - FV/NOR, 2012 - FV/STU). A further five times saw 1 team with no player from the top 5, and only once did both grand finals teams feature players from the top 5 ppg.

9. Only twice did the league leading scorers (Rychart 2007, Ng 2006) feature in a grand final game.

10. On two occasions the top scorer of the Grand Final scored more than the leagues leading scorer for the season. (2006 Ng Avg 30.5ppg scored 33 in GF, 2011 DJ Avg 29.1 Tucker scored 30 in GF)

11. The Woollacott medalist has featured in 4 grand finals (2006, 2007, 2009, 2012). Sturt featured in 3 of those games and lost all 3, North was the only exception with Rychart in 2007.

12. The average for ppg average is 23.9ppg. The average for Grand Final leading scorers is 25.9ppg.

13. Three times the Woollacott medalist has also been the leading player for ppg ('06 Ng, '07 Rychart, '10 Luettgerodt).

14. Only once has the Grand Final leading scorer, League leader in PPG and Woollacott medalist gone to the same person. 2007 Rychart.

15. West have featured in only 1 Grand Final in 6 finals series attempts. Norwood have featured in 4 Grand Finals in 7 finals series going 2-2.

16. My boss should not have employed me!

So what does this mean for this season if we where to stop right now??

Woodville would be odds on favourties to win the flag. The second placed side has won 87.5% of the time! The league leading PPG player - DJ, is .05 of a point under the last 8 years average. Keep in mind the league leading scorer has only played 2 of the last 8 grand finals.

Centrals would feature for the first time in at least 8 years in a final series. 5 out of 8 grand finals saw a team with a player not in the top 5 ppg play in the grand final (hello centrals)!

Topic #32125 | Report this topic

AHOS  
Years ago

LOL to point 16. The team to have most RPG also won every GF. I guess talls are a key ingredient!!

Reply #426999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

love your work NotJackToff Of all these fun facts I think we have touched on a issue which probably should be address.
it is clear the team that finishes top of the minor round is disadvantaged by the week off. Simply put the potential for minor premiers to have 1 game in 3 weeks seems to put them at a disadvantage.

Reply #427008 | Report this post

Rock  
Years ago

Maybe reverting to top 4 only playing in the major round will address the issue of the minor round winner being at a disadvantage....

NotJackToft, does the pattern hold true for the women too?

Reply #427011 | Report this post

Boom Patrol  
Years ago

If this were FB, I'd like your post

Reply #427014 | Report this post

NotJackToft  
Years ago

Definitley interesting discussion re:the week off. From what I saw in the women's, it did not seem to follow the same pattern. Alot more sporadic with which teams went through and won. Def not the same trend.

I will put the women's up tomorrow morning (ran out of work time)

I might even have a look at the path the top team takes to the GF aswell.

Reply #427019 | Report this post

MIM  
Years ago

The most interesting one for me is that the team to finish top in the minor rounds went on to lose every grandfinal. Hard to believe!

Reply #427023 | Report this post

NotJackToft  
Years ago

Agreed MIM.

When I started doing some research I got 2 games in and went, "surely this won't happen every year", and then each year I just became more surprised. As mentioned above by Anon and Rock, it def seems like the extra week off seems to be a hindrance.

This was the fact that kind of drove me to look at the rest.

The fact that the 3 grand final losses for Sturt also coincide with the years that someone from Sturt won the Woollacott was also a very unusual fact.

Reply #427025 | Report this post

Facts..  
Years ago

Last team to finish top go straight into a GF & win for memory was Sturt in 2002..

Reply #427053 | Report this post

NotJackToft  
Years ago

Thanks Facts! That is surprising! Apart from the week off, what else could the possible causes be??

Unfortunatley the BSA site doesn't go that far back.

If someone had all that information somewhere I would love to do some more analysis!

Reply #427054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's premature emancipation.

Reply #427061 | Report this post

NotJackToft  
Years ago

Women's Last 8 Years

1. The top placed side featured in all but two grand final games (2007/2009). The top placed side won 4 out of the 6 grand finals that they played in.

2. The second placed side featured in 4 grand finals going 2-2 in those games.

3. The third placed side featured in 5 grand finals, only winning 1 in 2005 (Eagles).

4. The Fourth placed side is 1 from 1 in grand finals, being the upset of the 2011 grand final with the Eagles winning.

5. Eagles have won 4 out of 5 grand finals in 7 attempts, and only missing finals once. Sturt have won 2 out of 3 grand finals in 7 attemps, only missing finals once.

6. Woodville have not featured in any finals action in the last 8 years, closely followed by Eastern and Centrals with 2 appearances, and South and Southern with 3 each.

7. The average winning score is 75, and apart from 2012 the margin only varied 7 points maximum, from 70 (2011) to 77 (2007).

8. The average losing score is 57. The highest losing score is still lower than the lowest winning score.

9. The grand final winning team grabbed more boards during the GF, with the exception of 2009 with Sturt pulling 6 more than Forestville.

10. Average rebounds for GF winning team is 51.5, Average for losing side is 39.3.

11. The average for the Grand Final leading scorer is 22.8ppg. With Fergus the only player to top score in two grand finals.

12. On two occasions the Halls medalist has not featured in any finals action. Both times it was Eastern, with Francis in 2008 and Madgen in 2010.

13. The Halls medal has been won by 2 clubs twice, with South Adelaide ('05 Kelson, '09 Webber) and Eastern ('08 Francis, '10 Madgen).

14. The Average PPG for the league leading scorer is 23.8ppg. Two players have taken this title out twice being Marino (07/09) and Madgen (10/12).

15. On two occasions the league leading scorer has also been the halls medalist, Marion in 2007, and Madgen in 2010.

16. On 4 occasions the two grand final teams featured players in the top 5 for scoring ppg.

What does this tell us?

Compared to the men, the women seem to be less fazed by finishing top and having a week or two off.

There have been some very good female Basketball players in South Australia in recent years. Going over the stats, it really was a who's who of female Basketball.

Norwood are hot favourites to win the flag (hardly surprising). And their Grand Final opponent - Eastern.

Tess Madgens current PPG of 32.9ppg is best in the last 8 years.

Reply #427121 | Report this post

Rock  
Years ago

Thanks NotJack for the women's side of the inquiry.

Quite a surprising difference in the major round stories, compared with the men.

Reply #427822 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:37 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754