Anonymous
Years ago

Australian Basketball Club Champions Finals

According to Wiki this comp existed where CABL, SEABL, Big V QBL champions etc faced of for a national winner. If true when did this stop?

Any ideas as to why it did or why it never took off?

Topic #32141 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only stopped a few years ago. Quite simply the cost was too great. Also the gap in leagues was too big. CABL teams generally could not compete.

Reply #427306 | Report this post

Highlighter  
Years ago

Aust Club nationals were great, only stopped after 2007 season from memory. SEABL, QBL and some Big V teams most prominent, although I do remember Eastern Mavs with J.Holmes getting quite far one year.

Reply #427377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The last ACC finals were in 2008 at MSAC. It was the best games of basketball with all four of the semi-finals going into the last 2 minutes of the game with only a basket difference in the score. The men's final went into overtime but the women's game wasn't as close. Queensland dominated that year with the Townsville Flames winning the girls championship and the Cairns Marlins taking out the boys.

Reply #427412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a shame that something with the ability to be marketed as a national product wasn't captalised on. Everyone loves a state of origin, was it ever televised?

Reply #427413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marlins that year basically had their NBL team playing minus imports. Strongest ABA team I have ever seen!

Williams
Jawai
Boody
Vale
Smith
etc
etc

Reply #427421 | Report this post

daneo  
Years ago

Cairns had a pretty stacked team that year.
Jawai, Grabaeu, Cook, boodnikoff, Vale and Matt Smith.

Thats 6 NBL players on a ABA roster

Reply #427422 | Report this post

daneo  
Years ago

beat me to it..

Reply #427423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a shame that something with the ability to be marketed as a national product wasn't captalised on. Everyone loves a state of origin, was it ever televised?

----------

I know that the ABC showed the mens championship game in 1999 but don't think it was live. That year saw Geelong defeat Kilsyth to win the national final at Tuggeranong Basketball Stadium in Canberra. No idea if any of the other games or championship matches were televised.

Reply #427424 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:02 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754