Isaac
Years ago

Funny Sturt vs Forestville return bout

Back in Round 5, the Sabres visited Wayville to take on the Forestville Eagles. The Sturt women won 69-76 while the men went down in a close-encounter, losing 96-94.

On June 18, the teams clash again but this time at Pasadena. The guys are sitting 1st and 2nd on the ladder, Sturt with a 12-1 record and the Eagles sporting 10-3. For the girls, Sturt are 2nd on 11-2 only by percentage while Forestville are 4th with 9-4.

The Sturt men have been hit hard by injury, but the Eagles themselves have lost Brad Newley. Are the Sabres due for a loss, or can they continue on their merry way for a while longer?

Can the Forestville girls exact their revenge?

Thoughts?

PS For anyone with a weird browser who can't see the promo, here it is:

Oscar-Wan Kenobi vs Anakin Sully-walker. Also featuring Master Dougie. Use the force, and get legless!

Topic #3215 | Report this topic

Woody  
Years ago

That picture is sheer gold........

Reply #37117 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Another truly great picture. You're a classic Isaac. Keep em' coming

Reply #37122 | Report this post

Liam Flynn  
Years ago

24 carat Issac!

Reply #37124 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I suppose I better put the Forestville name in there somewhere. At 3AM, it's easy to forget things like, err, the opponent for the night!

Reply #37128 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Have you got any response from Dougie yet on your picture Isaac?
I think he would've found it very amusing...

Reply #37129 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Panther, I'm waiting for "Very amusing your picture I found."

Reply #37135 | Report this post

Satish Dogra  
Years ago

Nice job Isaac - I like this if only for the use of the word "beatdown" in a promo. There needs to be more of this.

(Mod: That's for the Halo 2 aficionados out there.)

Reply #37136 | Report this post

Dougie  
Years ago

Gold Issac!

Be very close this game I think!

Jedi Sully-Walker, anger in you I often feel. Anger, a path to the dark side it is!

Reply #37142 | Report this post

Paul Arnott  
Years ago

Awesome work Isaac, as per usual.

Reply #37153 | Report this post

Farviewer  
Years ago

Looks like Dougie after seeing him out with all those women last week at 4am in the morning after his one too many beer sustances!! Cant rememebr if it was Fri or Saty tho! :p

Reply #37174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ahahah Master Dougie!

He seriously is the man!

Reply #37226 | Report this post

Billy Bob  
Years ago

Shepherd
Ng
Benson
Finkemeyer
Forman

vs

Gange
Sullivan
Sutton
Dix
Farman

Reply #37303 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Pretty evenly matched I think. I would pick Sullivan as the key for Forestville as Sturt will not be able to leave him unguarded. Last Sunday, Wilkey converted some open looks that hurt, and later in the game, so did Jye and Hammond.

I tipped the Eagles last time, but have a feeling the Sabres can win this one.

Reply #37308 | Report this post

Billy Bob  
Years ago

Yeah good call isaac. Can sturt guard three good shooting guards, if thats the way they start. I think they might be able to but your right, sullivan is the key.

Reply #37310 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Last time these two teams matched up, Sturt had big performances from only two players. Forman had a massive final quarter to finish with his career-high of 37 and 16, while Gower had the fifth best male statline of this ABL season, ending on 20 points, 18 rebounds, 5 assists and 6 steals. After those two, Ng struggled to make baskets (11 points, 3-17 FG) and only Paul Bauer from the rest scraped into double figures with 10 points.

For the Eagles, Dix was steady and Newley fired late in the game to manage a respectable line. The other impact performance, in my opinion, was Farman's early baskets that secured the early Forestville lead.

What's changed since April 9?

The Eagles have lost the services of danger-man Newley, but are otherwise steady. Dix has posted outstanding numbers and the team has fallen only once, to West by 10 points courtesy of Bearcat big-man Truslove's 30 points. In the Sturt game, no Eagle besides Newley really underperformed. Sullivan scores around 20 a game more often than not, but 12 points and 6 assists is comparable to his season average of 16 PPG and under 3 APG. The rest were pretty much on par with their usual games.

In comparison, since that game, Sturt lost Gower to injury for a number of weeks but may see him return in time for the rematch. Whether he is fit to play may well be the difference... In addition, Sturt have recently been without the services of injured James-Martin and Bauer, but their absence has been handily covered by other Sabres -- Potsie's cousin Mark going from barely stepping on court in the first nine games of the season, to scoring in double figures and at an impressive 79% in the last three outings.

The other improvement has come from Finkemeyer; in the last five games in which Gower has been missing from the Sturt line-up, Finkemeyer (Finkenmeyer if you're at Starplex, and Fingertipmetre if you're at Marion) has risen to the occasion: 16.4 PPG and 9.2 RPG, up from 6.3 PPG and 3.6 RPG outside of those games. He had his season-high of 23 points last week, is second in the league from the field, and I'd rate him more or less Farman's equal based on current form.

So, who's likely to decide the result? For Forestville, my pick is Sullivan -- he's hit double figures in all but two games and he's leading the competition in three-point percentage. If you try to reduce Dix's impact, you risk leaving Sullivan alone for the long bomb. That said, without Newley, the Eagles are missing their other strong outside shooter (no other major contributor above 33%) and the Sabres could have him covered. Still, he's their second leading scorer and he will have to fire to give Forestville their best chance.

For the Sabres, I'm going with Ng. He was 3-17 last time these two teams met and shouldn't shoot as poorly again. Against the Lions last round, he was 5-22, but that's only because he left his headband at home, and I'm sure he won't make the same mistake again! He's not the leading contributor of the Warriors this year, with a scoring average hiding behind that of Forman's, but he's still as smooth a shooter as ever and someone will have to keep him covered at all times. If they have him defended outside, he'll still piss them off by hopping inside to draw a few fouls and convert from the line.

At this stage, my tip is Sturt. If Gower plays, I think they'll get up by 15. If not, maybe 5. If the Eagles disobey the Crocs and sneak Newley onto the court, then it's a completely different story, but after Mottram's luck, I don't think they'd risk it!

Reply #37376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Game MVP - Dougie!

I am sensing 5 triples and a ringgrab on the night...

The force is with you Master Dougie.

Reply #37494 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

Isaac,

As Roy & HG would say, "You have thrown down the proverbial GAUNTLET" with the promo!

Standing ovation!

Reply #37507 | Report this post

eagle  
Years ago

well done issac, good ivolvment & effort. Hope to see more 2 come!
Good luck Eagles!

Reply #38360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Benson is the king

Reply #40213 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:54 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754