elementary watson
Years ago

better find some talls for u17 girls national team

went and saw some u16 games this week - great guards.

but talls - hardly any in sight and the big ones that are there look like they have done a fair bit of their growth by now.

we need 190-200 cm centres for u17 national teams 2014/15

Topic #32157 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do you realise the bulk of the next u17 team are currently bottom age u18??

Reply #427611 | Report this post

elementary watson  
Years ago

yeah sorry my bad should have said u17s 2015/16

Reply #427615 | Report this post

crusty  
Years ago

watchout for the Francis twins!! mark this spot.

Reply #427616 | Report this post

tupz  
Years ago

This age group won't do u17s, they'll do u19s in a few years time. Next year's u16s Nationals will be more of a measuring stick for u17s in 2016,

Reply #427640 | Report this post

BigRed  
Years ago

Talls that big at u17s are not as valuable as one might think. When the u17 girls went to Amsterdam for the World Champs last year, they were a much better team when they had the Frolings and Smith playing as their bigs because they were more mobile. They were strong enough and tough enough to play the 5 defensively and skilled enough to either take a smaller opponent in the post or beat a bigger opponent off the dribble.

Pretty much only USA had huge girls the size your talking about that were actually effective.

Reply #427643 | Report this post

Big Kid  
Years ago

My bottom age U16 daughter is 6'3" and still growing. She's developing well but not ready for nationals yet.

Reply #433955 | Report this post

elementary watson  
Years ago

great to hear - find a good club and get some good individual trainings.

Reply #433957 | Report this post

Big Kid  
Years ago

Thanks Watson - she has a mentor who is taking an interest in her. Hoping for a BNSW NITP spot but believe they are hard to get.

Reply #433960 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I find that Netball is a huge competitor to hoops and there is a big chance these 190+ girls are running around outdoors playing that game in stead of Basketball.

At least it appears to be the case in our town because Netball has formed a close affiliation with Football which dominates the sporting landscape...

Tough to keep them or move them from Netball, plenty of tall athletic types, just not all playing hoops, what ya' gonna do??

Reply #433966 | Report this post

Big Kid  
Years ago

I agree Bear. I think hoops could do a recruitment drive on Netball especially as the kids get a bit older. My daughter started playing Netball at 7 or 8 like all her friends. We pushed her to Basketball 2 years ago so she could meet other tall kids, boys and girls to help her self esteem. It has been the best thing for her and she is loving the game, but the fact is she found Basketball rather than Basketball finding her.

Reply #433969 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Must admit, I rarely hear of basketball poaching or targeting players from other codes, rather the exact opposite.

I see it this way:

Basketball is probably one of the highest skill sport there is in degree of difficulty (team sports I am referring to), because unless you start at a young age and develop that ball handling skill with eyes up, you can't go to the elite level and that is too hard to teach older kids in the view of most coaches.

Throw in all the technical stuff, different shooting positions, angles, defense etc, etc... And you probably get the idea!

Conversely our kids learn many valuable skills and show great aptitude for other sports which they can adapt to with less of a requirement to learn very difficult skills like you need to in hoops.

The result (broadly speaking of course), is that many codes love to pick up an athletic hooper with great vision, the ability to catch and have good hand-eye coordination, excellent reflexes and fitness that they can adapt to their sport, it is an attractive proposition to them, not so easy the other way around IMO...

Reply #433972 | Report this post

Big Kid  
Years ago

Agree
Regarding talls specifically, netball players can catch and are athletic which is a good start. My daughter has had to work hard on her D and is developing her other skills. My point is being 6'3" and 85kg, hoops is definitely her game but no one came looking for her...

Reply #433978 | Report this post

elementary watson  
Years ago

we found that several good netball coaches were telling their girls to play basketball as it gave them stronger skills / determination / physical attributes.

several did do that - but bar a few exceptional players always played basketball like netball and although great athletes - were only mid to lower division players.

another point was when there was a scheduling clash - they usually chose netball.

however the good netball clubs / coaches are still recommending getting some basketball in.

Bit out of left field - but would a switched on basketball club associate with a strong netball club ? Could the collingwood and richmond cheer squads ever sit next to each other ?

Reply #433981 | Report this post

Big Kid  
Years ago

Never heard of any progressive thinking from Netball coaches like that where we are, but makes sense.
Agree with some Netball players playing basketball like netball, can spot it a mile off.
This year my daughter is playing Div1, selected for U15 TAP camp, selected for D-league, trialing next month for ECC, and waiting to hear regarding NITP so decent players are out there playing Netball...
Basketball could have picked her up earlier if proactive recruitment was happening but i guess that is left to each individual association.
Once they are playing, the ones that are more suited to Basketball will chose it

Reply #433985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yer unforetunately that is correct

all basketball associations are expected to do their own recruiting, promotion, marketing to increase participation.

However BNSW, BA etc. who receive the payments of the associations do very little to help e.g. provide DOs to increase player numbers. In contrast sports like AFL etc. have dedicated DOs who help the clubs to increase player numbers and so on.

Reply #433993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big Kid which club...

I assume its not north or hills as they are very proactive in recruiting and even poaching players to there club

Reply #433994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was at the first VIC NITP session on the weekend, plenty of talented talls in the u18 and u16 squads by the looks of it.

Reply #434017 | Report this post

elementary watson  
Years ago

just wait and see what the yanks roll up with

Reply #434020 | Report this post

Big Kid  
Years ago

Good to hear some talented talls in VIC NITP.
We are waiting to hear regarding NSW NITP...How manu places are offered?

Reply #434051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

100 cut back from last year which was 130

Reply #434055 | Report this post

Big Kid  
Years ago

Thanks.
So is that 100 in total? Assuming equal splits
approx 50 boys / 50 girls
approx 12 of each per year group (13-17 year olds)
approx 6 of each from metro and 6 from country

That really is only the elite isn't it...

Reply #434063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

more from 16ยง than than 18s usually

Reply #434078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

16 players selected in each VIC Metro age group, i.e. 16 u16 girls in total including top and bottom age players. Looked like 10 top age and 6 bottom age, so yes extremely small group.

Reply #434114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone see the U14 Canberra team at the classics? No shortage off tall girls there. Tallest about 190cm and 3 more not much shorter than that. though they played ok too.

Reply #434116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, incredible that one "rep" team could assemble so much height. Their tallest player was well into the 190cms at a guess, and seems to have been that height for a few years now.

Reply #434120 | Report this post

Big Kid  
Years ago

Looks like the national U17 girls team will have some tall talent to choose from in the next few years. And I thought my 14yr old was tall...

Reply #434134 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:53 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754