Anonymous
Years ago

When will the New NBL be launched?

I heard the 1st of July, then the 13th of July, yet nothing so far.

When will it officially be let loose on the public?

Topic #32182 | Report this topic

Years ago

When does the draw come out?

Reply #428233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't know?

Reply #428235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It will be launched once the TV deal is finalised

Reply #428237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will the TV deal be with Ten or Fox?

Reply #428239 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wait and see. At least partly with Ten, I imagine.

Reply #428241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope they continue with NBL.tv if they cant get all games televised, as it will be great to be able to watch every game of this years 36ers team!!

Reply #428243 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Oh it will be launched very soon. and if slapping a cheap coat of paint makes an old house new, thats pretty much whats to be expected here if I know anything about NBL revivals

Reply #428270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sadly I'm worried you may be right

Reply #428272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Peter "Experienced in the brand" Ali = FAIL
John "Marketing expert" Rymarz = FAIL
Rick "BBQ, beaches and basketball" Burton = FAIL
Kristina "Budget and funding expert" Keneally" = FAIL.

Honestly, does anyone expect any real rejuvenation from this "New" NBL?

Reply #428274 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

too many useless attempts at it. I havent seen a single change

Reply #428276 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

There definitely won't be any changes this coming season.

You'd just hope that they would have some long term plans and aren't just taking it six months at a time...

If Crocs put together a similar campaign to last year they won't be around for 14/15 so you would think stabilising that situation or ensuring the wellington/brisbane/melbourne bids get across the line would be priority number 1 right now, but who knows...

Reply #428279 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

Reliably informed that Cochrane has also landed a NRS league sponsor so is awaiting that sign off to do the launch as well as the renegotiated 10 deal

Reply #428280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is NRS league sponsor?

Reply #428281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Naming Right Sponsor I'd guess - but Naming right sponsor league sponsor is a bit like saying ATM machine

Reply #428282 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

What, no more iiNet?

Reply #428283 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

There will be no changes for the 2013-14 season. Even though de-merger talks originally happened in February this year, it was too soon to put in any real changes.

But for the 2014-15 season there will be changes. Look for Brisbane to re-enter in 2014-15 as well.

Reply #428284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whats KK got to do with the new NBL?

Reply #428285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The iinet deal expired this year. Wil there be completly new sponsers this year and no AND1?

Reply #428295 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

We shouldn't be hoping for much of a change this season, it's not likely and shouldn't be done anyways. If they have a plan of attack to start implementing next year then that's awesome. We have to make sure it isn't an overnight change either, unless its a change of year for the season, otherwise it will all be too much to handle at once. Baby steps is the key

Reply #428297 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

And let's hope no And 1 deal. They have shit gear. Each team should get brands on their own and not have a league filled with the same looking gear. This way we can get bigger brands on the bigger teams like Perth and get them more involved in the league gradually

Reply #428299 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ricey, sometimes you're quite sensible! ;)

Does the NBA have a league-wide shoe/apparel sponsor?

Read something once that said that when they (soon) add sponsor logos to their jerseys, they will be the first of the US big-four sports to do so. Quite remarkable.

Reply #428305 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Isn't it Adidas?

Reply #428314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yea, it's Adidas.

Reply #428320 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Breakers have a deal with Nike to provide footwear, would be nice to have them also provide uniforms.

Reply #428323 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Yeah NBA has Adidas now, after having Reebok, which while it may be better financially for the league it is really annoying as Nike had the best team gear before they made it all universal. It really does take away from a teams identity when 2 opposing teams have similar gear.

Reply #428324 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

didn't Adidas buy out Reebok to aquire the merchandise rights for NBA & NFL?

either way Nike>the rest.

Reply #428327 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Excepting that you have them out of order, you cloud the facts by listing Keneally. Of the four, she is the only one who is NOT solely CEO of the NBL. The other three only had one thing to worry about.

Reply #428338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mystro, Reebok are a subsidiary brand of Adidas and have been so since 2005. Adidas hold merchandise rights for the NBA whilst Reebok have the rights to NHL merchandise. Reebok held merchandise rights with the NFL until the 2012 NFL season, in which Nike bought the rights to on-field apparel.

Reply #428343 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I don't want to get anyone out of shape but it pisses me off to read how a team can't afford to have another bad season... Basically with an 8 team league, teams with decent rosters will have bad seasons and even my Perth Wildcats can't really afford to have a bad season... They may pack out a mega stadium but what if it doesn't then the club are paying huge money for stadium hire... Let's hope the league is a nail biter and teams survive through to when changes can be implemented and then teams like Townsville and Cairns need stadium upgrades due to support and Melbourne moves back to Hisense arena... But stuff Adelaide, they have an awesome roster again and will cause grief for every team

Reply #428349 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Yeah but Townsville especially so, after their offseason, it goes without saying. Attendances have been falling for the last 8 years and after it reached critical mass with the owners pulling the pin, if they pull the same crowd numbers as last year they will be toast. By "bad campaign" I meant holistically as a franchise, rather than solely W-L record (crowd attendance, community engagement, sponsor engagement, media engagement, marketing etc).

Is revenue sharing an option that has been discussed?

Reply #428350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes. Key part of the new league.

Reply #428352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What exactly will change with this New NBL? Better TV deal? Lots of Marketing? Improved NBL website?

Reply #428360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing will change, its still run by a bunch of selfish owners, no marketing skills and players who want to get paid way to much.

Reply #428368 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Mick, it doesn't matter that crowds in Townsville have been falling for the past eight years because league average attendances have been increasing. Nothing to see here... move on...

Reply #428370 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

It absolutely does matter because if the trend continues this season then the Crocs are out of the league.

And then you have 7 clubs, and more pressure on rushing in Brisbane / Melbourne / Wellington / whoever.

Not to mention the PR disaster for the NBL losing yet another franchise.

So yeah, nothing to see here, move on...

Reply #428371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With all of the reported changes that might be implemented ie, 48 min game, jump ball, etc how can this be achieved and the NBL still be a recognised FIBA competition?

Reply #428372 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"Nothing will change, its still run by a bunch of selfish owners, no marketing skills and players who want to get paid way to much."

So selfish are these owners that they pour Millions of Dollars into a Sports Team with no hope of ever recouping their investment. Real Selfish they are providing us with entertainment.

Reply #428373 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Maybe that is the point? Being FIBA recognised and unmarketable in this country, or losing FIBA credentials (whatever that may provide) and becoming an entertaining sport is what the new owners group will be weighing up, among other things.

Reply #428374 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Situation is right. Being fiba sanctioned is nothing. There is a tiny little league called the National Basketball Association somewhere overseas that is doing alright without FIBA's nose in their business...

Reply #428375 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

#428372 et al,

Do you really believe that changing back to 48 minutes and bringing back the jump ball contest will revive the fortunes of the league?

(BTW, I think they could still have these things and be endorsed by BA/FIBA. My recollection of the rule book is it acknowledges the 48 minute format.)

Back to the point. The problems of this league are vastly more strategic and complex than the rules of the game.

Reply #428376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are both wrong. If the competition isn't a FIBA sanctioned one then no player playing in that competion can represent Australia for the Boomers.
There will be no game format changes next season and the competition will come under FIBA sanctioning via BA.

Reply #428377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBA is a sanctioned FIBA league. If you look at the new rule changes for post 2014 their are written provisions for Euroleague to bring back the jump ball etc.

Reply #428379 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If the NBL isnt sanctioned by FIBA then players with aspirations of playing any form of international hoops won't play in it. Given about 2/3 of the local players in the league have already played internationally, and most of them (and others) would have ambitions to do so in the future, that would be a big issue.

Having said that, the NBL was FIBA recognised when it played 48mins previously and will be again if they decide to switch back, I doubt BA and FIBA would ostracise the NBL over quarter lengths.

Things like jump balls and 12min quarters are very minor issues though when it comes to achieving growth, so hopefully these arent priority items for the owners.

Reply #428380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The new NBL can apply for game changes to BA and FIBA at any time. It wont be occurring next season.

Reply #428382 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

It's no panacea, but providing an extra 20% product per game is surely not going to hurt! Getting 20% higher scores may also help with that element out there that sees really low scorelines and thinks "the quality must be terrible".

Reply #428385 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The flaw with that is the NBL had 48mins for years and endured a long slide in popularity. I dont think it is a deal clincher or breaker.

If they get the bigger factors right (professional management, social media, TV, community engagement, reffing/game style etc) I think people will come regardless of whether it is 40 or 48mins.

Reply #428390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think getting rid of the player points rating system would be a good move for a new NBL.

The whole thing about "making teams even" is very under 10's. Besides, that's what the salary cap is for.

Reply #428397 | Report this post

Jonny Flynnsane  
Years ago

We all know how well teams have abided by the cap in the past.

Maybe a luxury tax like NBA? Feed to excess back to the clubs that are under the cap.

Reply #428403 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

As boty says if its going to be 48 minutes of grind... its not going to be worth considering

Reply #428405 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The whole thing about "making teams even" is very under 10's. Besides, that's what the salary cap is for.
It's also very NBA, you know, the draft as well as a salary cap...

If the league can't track salaries perfectly, then allow clubs to effectively trade points from the points cap. e.g., if Perth wants to use 72 instead of 70, they pay a premium for the extra two points. Meanwhile, if Townsville and Wollongong are going budget with 65 points and 68 points, maybe they split (according to how far they're under) the proceeds from Perth.

@benfitz floated this idea on Twitter and I think, if the points cap were to stay, it has some merit.

Reply #428414 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yeah, I really like that idea. It makes it more of a floating cap which allows a bit more common sense.

Reply #428418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The points system can be cheated just as easily as the salary cap. I think we should scrap it and go with the A League "marquee player" system. That would bring far more interest in the game here in Oz

Reply #428423 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

"The points system can be cheated just as easily as the salary cap"

Please elaborate.

Reply #428427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Points cap cheated? Tell him you're dreaming.

Reply #428434 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The problem with the points cap isn't the intent, it's that you can have two teams of equal points total ratings but one can be the worst team in the league and one could be the best. It doesn't do anything in terms of parity, it just makes it harder to put a team together.

You could also say you could have two teams of equal payroll, one great and one terrible, and I say yes you can, but salaries are determined by the market mechanism while a player's points rating is determined by some moron in NBL HQ. And that's why I say it stinks.

How can you even say that it creates parity with a straight face when, since its inception, it's been New Zealand, Perth, then daylight the whole time?

Reply #428437 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I'm against the marquee player rule, I think it will just send dumb owners broke, and it's not really fair when a team like Townsville or Wollongong only can spend around 750k on their roster as it is.

But what about a marquee player rule with the caveat that it can only be used on a local player?

Ie. get Ingles, Newley, Penney, etc. back in the NBL.

Reply #428439 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The competitiveness in games between bottom and top teams in recent years has been the best I can remember. In 2012 the bottom two split series against the top two. For me that comes down to a low number of teams and a strict points system.

I like the idea of making it more flexible but to keep teams competitive (ie give them a chance to be financially viable and keep the game worth watching) I think we need some sort of regulartory system, and until the NBL shows it has resources to police a salary cap I think that means a points cap.

Reply #428440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With the Crocs, the Taipans and the Hawks borderline why would you intorduce a marquee player system when they can't even afford to spend the full cap.
Kings aren't spending the full cap either.

Reply #428442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whats the NBLPA doing about all of its concerns some time ago? Nothing as usual.

Reply #428443 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

How can you say that with a straight face Paul?

Are you actually serious?

A season split doesn't mean anything. Top teams lose to bad ones all the time. The only thing that matters is who is actually a legit shot to win it all at the end of the year, and since the points system it's been a foregoned conclusion.

Reply #428446 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Just saying, when half of your league isn't spending the salary cap, you have bigger problems than what a player points system can alleviate.

Reply #428449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like the idea of paying tax on extra points in the points cap, and distributing the money to every team on or under the 70 point limit.

Say each point is worth 100k, so if you want to fit in 72 points it will cost you 200k, this goes to the league at the start of the season (or at the time you want to sign the player which will exceed the cap) and then the league and every club abiding by the cap gets an equal share.

This could be a win/win in some ways, say Perth last season on top of there large crowds had some spare cash and wanted to keep Dunngan and remove say Trueman from there roster for him once Knight returned, say this puts them at 74 points, so they would pay 400k for the extra points, they may feel its worth while, as it may even increase there large crowds and therefore revenue, sell some more merchandise, and help them secure the title, would they have won it had Dunnigan be able to stay with Knight? so its a win for them. Its a win for the league and the other 7 clubs as a the legaue keeps a top player in it, and if all the other clubs are under they each receive $50k cash distribution, which is always handy, will atleast reduce the loss, if say NZ and Melboourne also decided to do this then the other clubs could end up with a distribution of say $150k.

In a way it makes the rich stronger, but stacked line ups dont always win so nothing is guaranteed, but it also helps float the poorer clubs, say the Crocs lost 200k last year, the 150k distribution keeps them a lot closer to break even and therefore easier for them to survive, a group of owners is going to be happier to float a 50k loss than a 200k loss.

Could do the same thing with a marquee player rule, ie pay dollar for dollar tax for how much you pay the marquee player.

I think the points cap needs to stay or all salaries publicly published like the NBA so you have some chance of policing the salary cap, otherwise its just too hard. Eg points cap is easy to police, just continue to tweek the formula/method, and if you drop it but publish the salary figures it also makes it easier, as no one is going to beleive the Tiger signed Wortho for 50k, and would expect the figure to be atleast 150k, so the Tigers have to publish atleast that even if they dont publish the real figure, it keeps everyone accountable, as even if they do pay him 200k (50k not declared) its not as big of an advantage than pushing him through at closer to 50k, which im sure has been done in the past, and publishing them publicly means the league cant just ignore it if a club tries to cheat the cap, as its fairly obvious to most other GMs and fans that you would have to spend atleast 130-150k to get someone like Wortho or Ervin, so forces the club to declare that amount and be accurate in what they report, or it wont pass the 'bullshit' test.

Its like if the heat declared James signed his next contract for min salary and therefore had an extra 15 mil cap space in the NBA, no one would beleive it so it forces the Heat to declare his real salary or close to it.

Reply #428456 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Mick, NZ and Perth have been successful through consistency of roster and club. NZ have also had the benefit of drawing on a country worth of talent who wouldn't be unhappy about living near family. Where Adelaide have been through ownership changes and so on that have tripped up recruiting efforts somewhat, NZ have been stable (same staff, good facilities) for years. Marty era never helped. Tigers have had some ownership upheaval, Kings, Hawks, Taipans and Crocs too.

Besides the top two, the rest have been pretty even. At various points late last season, anyone could've gone for a finals spot. Even Adelaide had slim, slim chances later than seem deserved, and many losses were narrow ones.

Points cap annoys some fans (seems dorky, confuses some, etc) and frustrates players (who generally want to earn as much as possible, regardless of impact on clubs and league).

Reply #428460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

48 minute games should be brought back
Gives more time for development players to get on the court and teams will have to use the full roster

Reply #428468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And what if the broadcasters dont want to accommodate 48 minute games???

Reply #428472 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

I am not sure why 48 games is the big issue in all this. they need to make the gameplay more entertaining to warrant 8 minutes more of it.

Reply #428473 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Just saying, when half of your league isn't spending the salary cap, you have bigger problems than what a player points system can alleviate."

That's exactly why you need a points cap, to allow teams to spend within their budget and still be competitive. When teams are competitive in their home games they have the best shot of drawing crowds.

No one wants to see the top teams come into town and thrash the minnows, as has happened for the majority of the NBL's lifetime.

Reply #428483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The recent disparity between the top 2 (Breakers and Wildcats) and the rest of the league has never been bigger. A very unhealthy situation for the NBL.

2012/13

Breakers 24-4
Wildcats 22-6
Hawks 13-15
Kings 12-16
Tigers 12-16
Taipans 11-17
Crocs 10-18
36ers 8-20

Reply #428509 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Well, on the upside for the league I don't think the New Zealand/Perth dominance will exist this year, different personell, different coaches...

Reply #428511 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Agreed YouKnowMe, the gap will be smaller, I think.

But it's still a league of haves and have nots, at least for now. The points cap doesn't change that because you can have a team of 70 points and a payroll of 750k or you can have a team of 70 points with a payroll of 1m. And it doesn't take a genius to figure out which team will have a better chance to win it all. So why bother with the points cap?

It will be good for the league if Adelaide gets their shit together this season though (and next season), puts a winning team on the floor and follows that with big crowds and the financial security that comes along with that.

That way you'll have stability in 3 big markets (Perth, Auckland, Adelaide), and with Cairns starting to get their community model very viable as well, even if they aren't the ones the NBL wants in Sydney and Melbourne.

I've always said that these types of markets, where only one of League / Union / AFL has a massive presence, are absolute key to the league, although I am in the glaring minority in having that opinion. I think you have to lockdown those markets as an absolute priority, and make them strongholds for the sport in this country.

The NBL would be very careless to not put any effort into further bolstering those areas as basketball "heartlands", and take the love of the game there for granted.

But watch them pour all their energy into Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane and completely go against every basic market principle in terms of identifying scarcity in sports entertainment markets and capitalising on it...

Reply #428520 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

In the past four years two regional teams that were spending around $750 have made the GF, that's a sign that the points cap works. They have also both beaten the two richest clubs numerous times.

If it just came down to purely salary that wouldnt occur, and a little look back through scorelines over the history of the league confirms just that.

Reply #428521 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Agree with you but they did very well to overachieve to get there and were no chance to win it all.

I think it's more of a testament to their coaching staff in doing big things with limited resources than anything the points cap afforded them...

Reply #428531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spend your $1mill and have no points cap and negotiate with every player on that roster to get the same amount of money. Every player can get $100K each.
Everyone wins and most other teams will lose by a lot more than they do now. Great idea.

Reply #428533 | Report this post

Jonny Flynnsane  
Years ago

Good to see the newNBL has got hold of the Facebook page now. A couple of updates yesterday and even replying to comments and questions. Good start.

Reply #428541 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I like Anon's idea about allowing teams to go over the points cap and taxing teams X amount of dollars per a point over 70.

Might create more of a power imbalance though.

But there are some ideas out there:

-Maybe look at third party payments for Imports and star players. Allow 2 players on each team to receive 50-80k from sponsors for the year. This sponsorship money will be out of the cap - Australia Super Rugby Teams do this

-Give concessions for certain players in relation to the cap. i.e. give a discount of 30% for those returning from Europe after X amount of years or for Veterans. So if someone like Andersen came back, maybe only 60-70% of his actual salary would count towards the cap. Would attract the Newleys, Ingles, Barlows.

Reply #428551 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

have found a good site that has torrents of old NBL games http://sport-scene.net/signup.php

Watching them makes me a bit sad really, the NBL has been at the top... It has been one of the worlds best leagues and has had enviable star power. I think we need to look 'back to the future' a bit, atleast some of the things that worked then would work now.

I think one of them would be, the NBL didnt seem to have the same sense of self detriment to it. The league believed in itself as an entertainment package and the results showed. Somewhere a long the way, the NBL has lost its passion about itself, it has people like Kristina Keanelly who... try to sell the league with all these big claims... but I can just see she doesnt BELIEVE it. First and foremost... teams and the league need to think of themselves as a winner... South Dragons did... and thats why I really mourn there loss... they came in and believed they could make a mark...

You have to capture your own imagination to capture anyone elses. Lets get some people involved with some passion for the game, and who make decisions and stand by them.

Reply #428835 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

I also think it understood what a 'highlight' was... when I see NBL highlights these days, they show missed shots and people fumblind... wtf!!!! And the league was more offensive minded.... The D in the NBL is probably of the highest level ever.. but it doesnt make for great viewing. A few charactors would be nice too... Why doesnt someone do a crazy hairstyle? someone flip off a crowd? someone dance a bit after making a sweet shot? dont be a bunch of stiffs! The games as much about personalities as it is plays.

Reply #428838 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"South Dragons did... and thats why I really mourn there loss... they came in and believed they could make a mark... "

they played what 1 season? won the league and then threw their toys out of their cot.
what was so great about a team buying a title that causes you to mourn them after their 1 season of competition?

Reply #428854 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

South Dragons played three seasons.

Reply #428855 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:13 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754