NotJackToft
Years ago

Round 15 CABL Preview

Well after a massive round of hoops last week, we see some more pivotal games in this season being played this week. This will be stats light due to time constraint, but lets see if we can generate a bit more discussion about some of the seasons most important games.

First up:

WOMEN'S

North (5th 9-5) v West (7th 5-9) @ Hillcrest

North without Jo Hill plucked the eagles last week by 7, and hold the first meeting with West by 14. West were beaten comfortably last round by the Flames by 26. It is hard to see the Bearcats getting the upset here, with North starting to show some of the form that can make them a threat to the Flames throne. Anderson showed some form she left the Tigers with, and if the rockets are to feature in August, they need her as another offensive option. Last time they met the Rockets held a 56-22 rebounding advantage, something the Bearcats will want to fix if they are to stand a chance. North by 16.

South (10th 1-14) v Woodville (6th 6-9) @ Marion

The Warriors have found some serious end of season form, going 2-0 last weekend beating Centrals by 18 and the Sabres by 15. Unfortunatley for them it is a little too late, as being the sixth placed side and three games behind with three to go, means finals will evade them again this year. In contrast the Panthers went 0-2 to Norwood and Eastern, losing by 47 and 18 respectively. Last time out, the Warriors won 48-40. Woodville have improved, but South haven't. Woodville by 23.

Sturt (3rd 11-4) v Eastern (2nd 11-3) @ Pasadena

MOTR. I am hesitant to say this, as the Sabres were rubbish last weekend. 0-2 against Woodville and Southern sees them probably lose home court in the finals. Giving up 162 points in two games, shows that they have serious defensive deficiencies, and especially against teams that have struggle to put the ball in the hole. Eastern on the other hand have been slowly plodding along, stringing together 3 wins, with Madgen, and look to only improve upon her return. Last time out Eastern shot 48%, Madgen with 39,14 and 11 and winning by 17. If she plays, Sturt will be in for a long night and Eastern by 18. If she doesn't I think the Sabres will bounce back by 7. The loss of their coach to played a huge role in last weekends games, and im sure he will want to be avoiding that again.

Centrals (9th 1-13) v Norwood (1st 15-0) @ Starplex

CERTAINTY. To rip off the footy show, this is my Certainty for this womens round. Last time out, the Flames won by 66 points, sharing the love equally and only Dukes putting up any resistance for the Lions. Whilst the Lions have improved, the flames are drawing closer to their perfect season. Simon to starve the cat for a day before the game, and the lions to be burnt. Flames by 44.

Forestville (4th 9-5) v Southern (8th 4-10) @ Wayville

The Sabres aren't the only top 5 side of a 2 game slide, with the Eagles joining them as well. Losing to North last round by and Sturt by 9 the week before, the Feagles look like pretenders leading into August. Not even a Granny Smith can save them for their likely demise this season, and a win over the Tigers wont help. Immediately after beating the Sabres in an overtime thriller last week, you would be forgiving for thinking that Southern played out of their skin. This was until Sturt got handed another loss the following afternoon by an also unranked Woodville, that one starts to think that maybe Sturt didn't get beaten, but perhaps beat themselves. Fawcett stared last Saturday night with 31 points, 5 rebounds, 6 assists and 8 steals, but it was Rutland with the game winner 3 that sealed their fate. Forestville by 16.

MEN'S

North (5th 8-6) v West (1st 12-2) @ Hillcrest

MOTR. West on a three game streak, most recently downing Norwood by 9. North on a one game losing streak, however that was a 36 demolition by title hopefuls Forestville. I feel that North match up better against West, due to the inside presence of Pero, as the rockets struggled to contain Rios, Doyle and Gibson. Pero is coming off a night to forget, and Franceschinis continues to wind back the clock with some great offensive output. North will want to look to prove their worth leading into the major rounds, and on the brink of even missing out on the final 5 action - equal wins with 6 placed Sturt but played 1 less game and 1 game ahead of Southern, I am going to pick this as my upset for the Round, with North taking the game by 8 out of pure desperation.

South (9th 2-13) v Woodville (2nd 12-3) @ Marion

Charity Game this round with all admissions being donated to Beyond Blue. This is a great cause and fantastic initiative. Woodville won last time by 24 and they are coming off a great 2-0 weekend by beating Centrals by 20 and Sturt by 15. South recorded their second win of the season (both v Eastern) by 31, with Jordan Robertson having a blinder of 31 and 19 at 58%. Like I have mentioned previously, its not that South are a bad team, its just that Woodville are a little bit more experienced, and a little bit better. Warriors by 17

Sturt (6th 8-7) v Eastern (10th 0-14) @ Pasadena

Eastern came so close in the Rounds prior to the J.Rob show last week, however with so much reliance on the SB's and Scipio showing glimpses of ability but no real consistency, and no significant talent coming through, means Eastern's senior mens program may well be in the bomb shelter for a while longer. Sturt are coming off an important 13 point win against the 7th placed and 1 game back Southern however dropped the second game of the double header to finals contender Woodville. Easterns losing streak will continue tonight, with the Sabres having just too much to lose if they drop this game. Sabres by 22.

Centrals (4th 8-6) v Norwood (8th 6-9) @ Starplex

A huge game here for the Lions, and a win is of utmost importance for them. Like North and Forestville, they have an extra game to be played compared to the 6th placed Sturt, but a loss here puts them in a dangerous position of missing out. Norwoods season has not been a good one, and im sure Brad and his crew will be happy to put it behind them, but not without shaping some August action. Norwood only went down the finals favourite West by 9 last week. The lions got mauled by the Warriors by 20, and I think Centrals early season steam is running out. Centrals in a mid season slump, and if they don't act fast, they wont see any post season action. Norwood by 10.

Forestville (4th 9-5) v Southern (7th 7-7) @ Wayville

The eagles have been patchy, to say the least. With a quality outfit, and some big ins, they seem to be ironing out the kinks. However they don't have a lot of time to do it. When they are on, they will be next to impossible to guard with their guards by far the best in the league. A healthy Mottram makes a big difference for them. Southern are injury ravaged, and this has undone their promising season. They have a great young core, but some leadership needs to be shown by the coach and captain, and making sure that the right players are shooting the rock. When your starting point is shooting 7/40 in their last 4 outings, its probably time to start giving a red light. Last time round the Eagles only got up by 4, but with Gibbo in and Southern missing lots, the Eagles should win by 25.

Topic #32193 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Kenny Brunner still playing for Southern? Haven't heard much of him this season.

Reply #428506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another great write up!

Back to Back Rounds this weekend will possibly see the top 5 contenders firming odds for Post Season action. Some tough picks in the rounds with some teams form sitting on a See-Saw.

Reply #428559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wow, north men over west by 8?? You reckon?

Reply #428567 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

wow how long been since sturt lost games to the minnow warrior women and lady tigers - my how worm has turned. Tigers especially have turned the corner despite all the smoke screens.

Reply #428594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Got a feeling Kenny Brunner went back home?

Reply #428597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed 567.....that is a BIG call!

Reply #428603 | Report this post

Off the show  
Years ago

Eastern can upset Sturt in men's especially If sabres are without Daley (suspension) did he end up getting reported last week ?

Reply #428617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apparently Daley was reported over two weeks ago but good old BSA delayed the hearing I heard BSA handed their balls over to Sturt a long time ago. He played the game last week against Southern possibly ineligible for that game but no one cares if Southern got shafted do they?

Reply #428618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thought he got a two game suspended sentence so he would have been able to play anyway. that is what i've heard but could be wrong

Reply #428619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh so he gets off because off suspended because of who he is or who he plays for?

If he got off suspended it just firms my beliefs that Hubbard has no idea or cares not of what happens below him and the association bend over and happily let certain clubs rob the association of respectability and dignity.

Having said that the Ref in question has a history of just accepting abuse with no tech foul or report, lack of grit to stand up for his position says a few things about his integrity I say.

Can people bet on ABA?

Reply #428622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Oh so he gets off suspended because of who he is or who he plays for?

Reply #428623 | Report this post

Tribunal  
Years ago

I thought the Southern coach got 2 games for approaching the umpire after the game and was sarcastic, from what I heard Daley approached the ump after the game and even swore at him!!!!!!!!
Seems to be a lack of consistency somewhere???????

Reply #428650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North over west by 8? Dude, word of advice...don't smoke crack! Remember that guy who is 7ft and does pretty well for the 36ers? Not to mention big blake has been playin pretty decent of late....Perot (can't remember how to spell it, best look at the shit tat) can't guard them both. Not to mention north took a hiding with Petrie earlier this season. Bad call....the rest are spot on

Reply #428675 | Report this post

Rockin great  
Years ago

Good luck to Bec Lock in a milestone game 150
great effort

Reply #428712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joel Goodenough to suit up for his 300th this weekend too!

Reply #428718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah if daly is out i think eastern can get the win.

Reply #428733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Daly was in, and Eastern still won

Reply #428768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope eastern back it up against the eagles today. Daly won't miss a game now, if he was going he'd be gone again BSA show they disrespect the game and the association.

Reply #428780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Always good to see The double blues lose.

Reply #428783 | Report this post

Cedar  
Years ago

Or maybe Daly didn't say much other than that was poor.

Reply #428785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Daly said a lot more than that!

Reply #428795 | Report this post

Tribunal  
Years ago

Very disappointing Rules for some and others can make their own rules
Time for even playing fields and transparency!!!!!!
Its not about who you play for or where you come from its all about the game

Reply #428820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

An association that hasn't updated their Strategic plan or Annual report for 2 seasons clearly doesn't have anyone to answer to. Seems like those in charge like the way it's stacked.

Who cares about growing the sport a monopoly in smalltown is what they want to keep control of.

Someone is reaping the benefits of the revenue and its not those that contribute to the sport financially.

Reply #428827 | Report this post

wordup  
Years ago

Cedar, my sources tell me that Daly was reported two weeks ago and suspended for 2 weeks based on the fact he was found guilty of abusive language.
HOWEVER

the 2 week penalty was held over subject to a 1 years good behaviour period

So this means he can play without missing games but if he is reported again then he serves the two match ban

Reply #428965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ Lol proves BSA play favorites well more to the point are either shit scared of Sturt or like to roll in their shit

Reply #428967 | Report this post

be good  
Years ago

i be happy to use abusive language and back a suspended sentence - but then used all your aces. no more get out of jail cards. it seems that people want no giving a chance to demonstrate contrite attitude - until its them.

Reply #428981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Abusive language!! How about charges of poor sportsmanship, gross misconduct

Reply #429012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And what accountability is there for the poor performance, attitude and communication of the referee.

You want to stop the players and coaches having a go at the ref's.

Fix the ref's first.

Seems that the person in charge of the referee's have driving the referee's into the ground just like he did the previous club he was involved with. And through the same actions of giving opportunity to mates and promoting people above their ability level.

Reply #429015 | Report this post

wordup  
Years ago

your spot on regarding performance, attitude & communication of some of the ABA refs however I'm divided on the question of accountability

Having been involved as an umpire in the past (multiple states) I know that they sometimes come down hard on the refs, sometimes too hard as I think it would be better if they were in a more encouraging environment in which to do the job at hand.

Not everyone would be aware of what happens to Ref's when they do a average or worse job on the floor

I think there is a combination of administrators who are either too soft or too hard

Big problem though, is the two boss's of the umpires who works full time in this day & age are tools

Years ago they had good & knowledgeable people involved and they did it for next to nothing.

Regarding Sam being reported though, I'm not sure you can blame the umpire for this
Players have to be responsible for actions regardless of what club they are associated with

Reply #429017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is there a code of conduct for referees using online sites as a place to air gripes?
It seems to me that there are definitely referees involved in this discussion trying to hang a player they have had a grievance with.

Reply #429026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why shouldn't refs be allowed to discuss the same issues? Oh wait segregation promotes problem solving? there is a policy but like most of BSA accountability we could let it slide. Mike Gibson should retire. Mark Hubbard should talk to the average coach around the association from time to time or just get out to games full stop.

Reply #429038 | Report this post

wordup  
Years ago

from my perspective which I think is balanced, Iv got no issue with anyone so no gripe.

Perhaps both the player & officials might realise they could have handled the situation a bit better

Because I have been a ref I know it's a hard job & I don't think in this current climate that they receive a lot of support from BASA

It was totally different in my era a player would have been suspended & the Ref would also if out of line plus they would have been spoken to and had the fear of someone's size 12 with force.

Reply #429041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Referees expect players to respect their decisions, yet themselves cannot do the same with the decision of the tribunal? So come on here and anonymously snipe. The height of hypocrisy!

Reply #429044 | Report this post

Jacob  
Years ago

^ Snipes the anonomous guy.

Take your own advise.

Reply #429176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His suspended sentence will expire in 12 months but his lack of class will be with him forever!

Reply #429179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apparently this decision is inline with Mike Gibson and Marks Hubbard theory of how to run a basketball association.

Reply #429205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

make it gibson dont think hubbard is on the same page

Reply #429208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought the southern coach suspension would be precedent, maybe proves BSA play favourites where they can influence outcomes

Reply #429214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Hubbard even in the same state? Not sure if he's real lol ever seen him?

Reply #429266 | Report this post

Filthy Mexican  
Years ago

Maybe mark Hubbard and mike Gibson are the same person, maybe some sort of alter ego?
If we try hard enough we can also assume they are the dingo that took the chamberlain baby....

Reply #429286 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:32 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754