Kriss
Years ago

Dr J - best SF in history?

Just saw The Doctor documentary.

Very well done. In fact I loved it more than a few of the more famous docs out there (no pun)

Brings the question. Is Dr J the Best SF in history??

Topic #32195 | Report this topic

Rhea 82  
Years ago

No.

LeBron and Bird spring to mind

Reply #428503 | Report this post

Dr6  
Years ago

It's a great doco - his importance in boosting league popularity post merger

Reply #428519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doc is right up there. It was an awesome doco narrated by Chuck D of Public Enemy. Two Legends from Long Island. Dr J is always overlooked but if you consider how dominate he was in the ABA and how he blended his talents with Teammates in NBA he was very special. Would have had more NBA titles if not for the Celtics and Lakers too. Probably the best finisher in the open court ever and dunked on everybody in his day, even when he got older.

Reply #428546 | Report this post

Is absolutely in the mix amongst the greatest at the SF position. Not only an aerialist in the open court, was a very good defender on and off the ball. Protected the rim better than any SF in history.

Continually developed his game, right up until his final season when he became a more reliable perimeter shooter.

For those too young - a more accomplished, tougher version of Scottie Pippen.

His ABA Coach in NY, Kevin Loughery who is the only man to have coached both Doc and MJ rates Doc at his peak (mid 70's) right alongside Jordan at his peak.

Reply #428561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bird says hello.

Reply #428626 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

I think Bird and Lebron are the best (I might be slightly biased with Bird as he is my favourite all time player). I would think Dr J is the next rung down with Elgin Baylor

Reply #428635 | Report this post

Starbosa  
Years ago

As good as Dr J was, he wasn't better than Bernard king. King scored at will against anyone that was put in front of him and seemingly, when the going got tough, the nastier would unleash in him, specifically in big game moments.

Reply #432777 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:34 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754