Some_Fulla
Years ago

Tall Blacks beat the Philippines by 1 point...

http://www.interaksyon.com/interaktv/rajko-toroman-tim-cone-impressed-with-gilas-showing-against-tall-blacks-believe-team-ready-for-fiba-asia

Terrible...

Topic #32200 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great effort by a very young NZ team. Good signs for them.

Reply #428627 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

watch out boomers LOL

Reply #428628 | Report this post

Some_Fulla  
Years ago

PG - T Webster - Tait
SG - Penney - Webster
SF - Abercrombie - Te Rangi
PF - Vukona - Fotu
C - Adams - Pledger

World Cup team next year..

Reply #428629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only three of that lineup played v Philippines.

@YouKnowMe - Australia beat Jordan by 1, Philippines beat Jordan by 8 and lost by 14, New Zealand beat Philippines by 1, so that must mean New Zealand v Australia will be very close!!!!!

Reply #428631 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

LOL. thats the silliest logic out. So Australia (in 2006 mind you) barely beat Jordan in a particularly shit game... So today, 7 years later with a completely different line up (and an unspecific time frame as to when Phillipines beat jordan) it is somehow suppose to hold weight in your argument.

Well, we beat Russia in the 2012 olympics.. and inm 1976 Russia beat america, so by extension... we beat america. This is your logic my friend.

If all things play out as they should... Australia vs NZ wont even be remotely close... Does Phillo have a single player above 6'7?

Reply #428633 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

On a slightly different note, when Qualifiers change to Aus/NZ being in the asia region, will only 1 team qualify from asia or multiple?

Reply #428634 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

No i would assume it to be two spots.

Speaking about FIBA Asia, Lebanon have been banned for four years.

Reply #428637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

YouKnowMe with stuff flying over her head again! Clue up baby! Take life more seriously! BTW, the Jordan game was at the last world champs.

Reply #428642 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Ok, 2010.... 3 years ago. And when did the Phillipines beat them? and what were the circumstances behind it? It doesn't even matter.... beating the phillipines by 1 isnt anything to dance in the rain about...

Reply #428644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Philippines finished 4th at the 2011 FIBA Asia Championships and some people have them winning this year's tournament. If they had their best team against the Tall Blacks it's a great win by them.

Reply #428653 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

indeed. Narrowly beaten out by basketball world heavyweights Korea for 3rd I see...

Reply #428654 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Youknowme, you are a classic.

Seriously it's good if Asian teams become better, maybe the NBL would actually try to incorporate their best talent into the NBL = $$$

Reply #428695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OMG, did YouKnowMe get it wrong AGAIN??

Reply #428696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"indeed. Narrowly beaten out by basketball world heavyweights Korea for 3rd I see..."

No, they lost to Jordan, who lost by 1 point against China in the final. The Tall Blacks aren't exactly heavyweights either. So if they beat a full strength Philippines team missing most of their best players (Penney, Abercrombie, etc), it is a very good win.

Reply #428722 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

He prob thinks Australia are Basketball heavyweights with their population of 22 million and world ranking of 10th.

Reply #428723 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

looked on wikapedia, in 2011 they lost to korea by 2.

Never said Australia was a world basketball heavyweight... 10th is highly respectable... wheres the phillippines?

Reply #428726 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Philippines are better than you all think.
Yes they have legit bigs and a solid structure.

Reply #428727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You just don't understand, do you, YouknowMe. Sigh.

Reply #428740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Philippines national team currently ranked 45th in the world and have three guys under 6'0" in their national team lol

Reply #428741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In fact half their team (6 of the 12) are under 6'3".

Reply #428743 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Montenegro are ranked 77, they'd beat NZ by double figures, rankings don't mean much like they do in soccer.

Reply #428746 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Mystro, your talking about the same basketball nation that routinely belittles your shitty tall blacks. and there you have it, half of the phillipine team is under 6 foot 3.. heaps imposing. I dont even care what you say I dont get, I dont get that you beat a team that has never done much of anything by 1. My whole first comment is that the phillipines are not a particularly good team and to beat them by 1 is nothing to wet your pants about, and the point stands. If the Boomers merely beat the Phillipines by 1 I would be worried for our future in the sport... you morons act like its an achievement that will live on in infamy!

Reply #428747 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Melbourne Boy - New Zealand played Montenegro in 2011 in Europe and lost in a close game, by 5 or 6 I think. Those two teams are pretty even.

YouKnowMe - last year Korea only narrowly lost to the Dominican Republic with Al Horford, Jack Michael Martinez and Francisco Garcia. DR beat Macedonia and pushed Russia fairly hard in that tournament.

I havent seen this Philippines team but I was at the 2011 tournament and they were certainly a reasonable team (with way too many Americans but that's another discussion!).

So if they are close to that level it is a very good effort for NZ to beat them without Penney, Abercrombie, Pledger, Adams, Fotu, Tait, Tai Webster, Henry and Loe. It is basically their B team with Vukona, Corey Webster and Anthony.

Reply #428753 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think some people only see Australia bet New Zealand and assume they aren't very good, but in 2010 and 2011 when they were close to full strength NZ were very competitive in the clear majority of their outings against European teams.

They had a 5-12 record with seven losses in single figures. That is probably better than Australia's record against European teams in the same period:

Lost to Turkey by 22
Lost to Serbia by 5
Beat Slovenia by 1
Lost to Serbia by 4
Lost to Russia by 13
Lost to Croatia by 5
Beat Russia by 2
Lost to Spain by 17
Lost to Lithuania by 13
Beat France by 12
Lost to Russia by 22
Lost to Russia WUG by 3
Beat Russia WUG by 3
Lost to Montenegro by 6
Lost to Macedonia by 1
Lost to Turkey by 6
Beat Ukraine by 7

That is a team that is respected around the world for good reason. We are lucky our players know their game style very well and are comfortable playing against them.

Reply #428756 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

YouKnowMe, I'm not 12 so I don't post Anon.
And why so mad? It's only the interwebs.

Reply #428776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Montenegro are clearly better than NZ, Nikolas would dominate every day of the week (Vucevic/Pekovic)

Reply #428810 | Report this post

Burnd  
Years ago

The Philippine Team

LA Tenorio (GSM Kings/PBA) - 5 ft 8 in (1.73 m)
Jimmy Alapag (TNT/PBA) - 5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)
Larry Fonacier (TNT/PBA) - 6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)
Jason Castro (TNT/PBA) - 5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)
Gary David (GlobalPort/PBA) - 6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)
Gabe Norwood (RoSMasters/PBA) - 6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)
Japeth Aguilar (GSM Kings/PBA) - 6 ft 10 in (2.08 m)
Jeff Chan (RosMasters/PBA) - 6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)
Ranidel de Ocampo (TNT/PBA) - 6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)
Marc Pingris (San Miguel/PBA) - 6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)
June Mar Fajardo (Petron/PBA) - 6 ft 11 in (2.11 m)
Marcus Douthit (Smart/NT) - 6 ft 10 3⁄4 in (2.10 m)

Reserves:

Greg Slaughter (NLEX/PBA D-League) - 7 ft 0 in (2.13 m)
Beau Belga (RoSMasters/PBA) - 6 ft 6 in (1.98 m)

Marcus Douthit is the only American to become a naturalized Filipino. The other American-sounding players have Philippine ancestry or have surnames that sound like American.

Reply #428812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't care if they're from Timbuktu the fact that half their team is 6'2" or under is all that matters.

Reply #428814 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Burnd, do some reading about 2011 Asia Champs re Philippines controversy about 'Americans'.

Reply #428828 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Reserves:

Greg Slaughter (NLEX/PBA D-League) - 7 ft 0 in (2.13 m)
Beau Belga (RoSMasters/PBA) - 6 ft 6 in (1.98 m)

Greg Slaughter sounds like a pretty terrifying name, but throw in an apostrophe and it becomes Greg's Laughter which is delightful.

Reply #428863 | Report this post

Burnd  
Years ago

The "small" Philippine team captured the silver medal at the FIBA Asia minus their injured naturalized Marcus Douthit to book the second slot to FIBA Worlds in Spain 2014. Apparently, the three 5-footers (Tenorio, Alapag, Castro) were the ones who made impact in the most important games of the tournament.

They lost to the mighty giants of Iran for the gold by 14 points.

The Wang Zhizhi/Yi Jianlian-bannered China squad settled for 5th place.

Reply #432430 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Castro is a hell of a player. I know now why the Singapore Slingers were so excited about signing him.

Reply #432432 | Report this post

Burnd  
Years ago

Castro and Haddadi were scouted by Knicks during the finals game.

Reply #432942 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:03 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754