Anybody have any further news???

Topic #32216 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Julius Hodge?

Reply #428923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No No No Hodge will never come to our shores again.

Scott Morrison.....7ft Monster someone who can see eye to eye with Antsey.

Good they got rid of Seth Scott,a player who wasnt made for NBL

Reply #428929 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Scott Morrison Portland State-5 man 7 footer.Been playing in Europe.

Reply #428930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should be a knock-out (pun intended)

Reply #428934 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

A seven-footer who averaged 8.0 rebounds per 40 minutes last year in the German League?

What is it with these big blokes who don't/can't crash the boards?

Reply #428937 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

They should try and get someone like Tracey McGrady or a Kenyon Martin type. High profile NBAer

Reply #428944 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Too many big guys in this league who suck in the paint and have to shoot from 20 feet away, looks like the NBL just got ANOTHER ONE

Reply #428945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is a reason the NBL is devoid of stud big men.

Reply #428946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This guy is not a shooter at all. His offensive game is catch and dunk.

Reply #428948 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Which could be OK with Worthington and Ballinger sharing the frontcourt.

Reply #428949 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

"There is a reason the NBL is devoid of stud big men."

Because there's actually very few of them in the world, the either get picked up by the NBA or chase the big money in China?

Reply #428966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because there's actually very few of them in the world, the either get picked up by the NBA or chase the big money in China?

Because Europe is where the money is.

Boti on the Morrison signing:

That is despite a list of seven-foot imports who, for the most part, have yet to set the NBL alight, most agents directing the better big men toward Europe and Asia if they have failed to crack the NBA.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/basketball/melbourne-tigers-confident-scott-morrison-can-make-a-big-impact/story-fni2um8e-1226683177318

Reply #428974 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I think they want somebody to lock down the middle and wont expect much scoring from him.Maybe 10-12ppg 7 rebounds.

Reply #428977 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

They're too big and slow in what is a guards league, look at their depth chart now

Morrison / ???
Ballinger / Walker
Worthington / Greer
Goulding / Odigie
??? / Tomlinson

If Wortho comes in shape (and he'll need to with this squad) they will be ok providing they have a dynamic distributer on the 1, if they bank on starting Tomlinson it will be bottom half of the ladder finish.

Reply #428987 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Europe is where the money is, but they dont spend much of it on foreign big men.

Reply #428991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mmmmmmm

Reply #428992 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Not sure if playing either Wortho or Ballinger in the 3 spot is a good idea.
That's is a very solid front line though.
I thought they were very top heavy last season and all they have really done is swap Wortho for Liam Rush (who could at least slot into that 3 spot.)
How long before Walker and Wortho punch each other???

Reply #429014 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Defensively I don't know how Worthington is going to stay in front of the likes ofCreek, Abercrombie/Te Rangi, 36ers import, Pace, Harvey or Hill.

Reply #429016 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

MACDUB, I'm guessing thats why they got the 7 footer...to protect the rim?

Reply #429025 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Yeah, possibly.

The only problem with that is that it is risky. You need a good shotblocker for that...there can be problems if Morrison is foul-prone. (Averaged 3.2 fouls in just over 20 mins in Germany - hard to break that down fully without footage though).

Another issue is that stretch big man will just take him out of the paint (Johnson, Loughton, Knights also pretty efficient from mid range and a lot of the Breaker sets have their 5 man trailer running hand offs on the perimeter - trans set)

Reply #429035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I still think they are also a bit weak in the sf spot, wouldnt it be safer to grab a imports sf and a import pg and the best Aussie C you can to replace Burston?

You could start

Ballinger/??
Worthington/Walker
Import/Greer
Goulding/Odige
Import/Tomlinson

I guess Ballinger is not ideal in the C either, especially with not a great back up, so can see why they grabbed the import to replace Burston.

Will be interested to see how the import C goes, a bit like Boti said, not too many have turned out that good, some ok though at the same time, if they just want him to do what Burston did and get 10pts 5 rebounds, then he will do ok, if they expect him to dominate then i have my doubts, i wouldnt be surprised if he comes off the bench and they start Wortho and Ballinger at PF/C, unless they plan to play Wortho at sf.

as a rule id generally get a import pg (can be a combo guard if you have one of the few top Aussie pgs) and sf, (either a sg/sf or sf/pf depending on the rest of your roster) you generally can get good imports in these spots and imo you need to have strong players at pg and sf to win the title and not many great Aussies in the league to fill those spots hence why id grab imports. Which is why i was very glad to see Joey grab a import PG and SF even with Gibson, Cadee, Creek on the roster.

Reply #429051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The other option is possibly bringing Ballinger off the bench and playing Worthington at 4 spot. Not alot of great options out there to fill burston's spot imo.

Reply #429053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea, its a pity pretty much all the top Aussie pg, sf and Cs are overseas, so gets harder to fill the roster with just 2 imports to fill those 3 spots, and most teams are not lucky enough to have a top Aussie in those spots so need imports.

Back in the day when we had a fair chunk of the Aus team playing NBL it would have been much easier to get a quality C or sf especially, we dont have the equivalents of Bradtke, Rogers, Cattalini, Mackinnon playing NBL these days.

I wonder if the league would be a better spectacle if they allowed 3 imports, which would for example allow the Tigers to grab a import, even Dorsey to fill the starting sf spot with Morrison and there import pg, which would be a better and more entertaining team than having Greer or Walker starting there imo.

From a entertainment perspective i think the league should look at allowing 3 imports, even if one has to come from NZ/SEABL or something to keep costs down. Some good sfs in those leagues that would be upgrades on the tigers sf, also would allow the Crocs to get say Rickert in to start C instead of Vanderjagt, and could find an example for every team really.

The downside is it pushes a few more 'fringe' Aussies out of the league, could make the rosters 11 or 12 to prevent that, but allow 3 imports. (obviosuly clubs dont have to sign 3 if they dont want to or can get the top Aussies)

Reply #429054 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

"The other option is possibly bringing Ballinger off the bench and playing Worthington at 4 spot. Not alot of great options out there to fill burston's spot imo."

I agree with the above comment, I think this is what is likely going to happen.

Reply #429066 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Don't need anyone amazing in that final frontcourt spot. Walker has played some PF and Greer too if they're keeping him. Cheapest local would be fine.

Reply #429070 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Interesting they went for an import centre with a lot more good genuine local big men in the comp than at almost any time before. But he looks like he'll fill the role they need.

I dont think they are weak at any spot, maybe SG if their import cant score but I imagine he will be able to. They have a lot of guys who can play multiple positions.

5 Morrison Ballinger final signing
4 Worthington Ballinger Walker (Greer)
3 Greer Worthington Odigie Walker
2 Goulding Odigie
1 Import Tomlinson

Reply #429072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would go
Import/Tomlinson
Goulding/Odigie
Greer/?
Worthington/Walker
Morrison/Ballinger

Someone like Leon Henry? For last spot

Reply #429123 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I would too, or even another guard, but I think it was Nat from andthefoul.net saying they were after a young Aussie big, and I heard Dumovic's name mentioned but dont know if there's anything to that?

Reply #429126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd use Odigie as a back up sf personally, last year at times they seemed a ball handler short and it forced Goulding to do it too much and resulted in quite a few turnovers, id personally round out the roster with a combo guard, dare i say it Lindsay Tait or Aaron Bruce would be the right style of player imo, could either try and get one of them or find a similar style of player.

Reply #429163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why isn't Lindsay Tait getting a gig? He seemed to be quite good for NZ the last time I saw him play against the Boomers.

Reply #429210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ironic that Morrison went to the same college as Seth Scott?

Reply #429338 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

So Luke Nevill is out of the league once again...? Why didn't they just grab him. At a glance, he looks to be better than this bloke...

Reply #429358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has Neville priced himself out of the league?

i dare say the import was cheaper/in their price range, so they went with him.

Reply #429363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Possibly watch for Nevill to replace Hinder at Crocs if he doesn't get an NBA gig.

Reply #429364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea that would be ideal for the Crocs, could Hinder be moved to an assistant coach/mentor type role and Neville take his spot at some point?

Reply #429370 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

As a Crocs fan, please let there be some truth to that. But I doubt it. If they could afford him they would have grabbed him already.

Hinder's days playing are done, because for whatever reason the Crocs refuse to use him in a limited role (ie. what he should be doing), and he is nowhere near good enough to be a starter or sixth man. So may as well get rid of him altogether.

Reply #429817 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:32 am, Sun 21 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754