Isaac
Years ago

WNBL's Bulleen change name to Melbourne Boomers

WNBL stalwart Bulleen has changed its named to Melbourne Boomers to capture support of the broader basketball community and will play out of the State Basketball Centre at Knox this season.

The club, which has been in the league since 1984, also has changed its colours to purple and gold and is anxious to be seen as embracing the city, moving away from its suburban identity and previous playing venue at the Veneto Club.
Boti's full article is here

Topic #32223 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dead Link.

Google found this.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/basketball/bulleen-has-changed-its-name-to-melbourne-boomer/story-fni2fm6j-1226683811766

Reply #429075 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

IMO, this is dumb, why not call themselves the Australian Boomers and capture the broadest audience possible? Oh, that's right, that name is taken...

Seriously, how many Melbourne based Associations are out there? Should they not all now consider ditching their loacl area and call themselves Melbourne, just to try to play with the Tigers on a perception that if they use this prefix they will all of a sudden become bigger than Ben Hur?

Should Sturt and Forestville just change both of their names to Adelaide??? Pointless and ridiculous for mind!

I hate this idea, for so many reasons...

Reply #429079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Makes sense, but perhaps Melbourne is an over-reach.

Who actually lives in Sturt or Forestville? Reality is that these are all "small" suburbs or council areas.

Whoever moves first has the advantage to claim the more valuable name...

Reply #429106 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sturt and Forestville aren't competing in a broader league.

'075, link is still active for me. You might be hitting News Ltd's paywall?

Reply #429108 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Good decision. Even if it doesn't actually do much in the short term, its a step in the right direction for their profile and will give them a platform to perhaps compete with the Melbourne Vixens in a few years time.

Its not like they are entrenched in 100 years of history as the Bulleen Boomers with a huge fan base that cares enough about it, so change in this case is a good thing.

Reply #429202 | Report this post

Tmk  
Years ago

Melbourne tigers in the wnbl now defunct - the Melbourne name will about to nothing.

Since the boomers were accepted into the wnbl in 1984 there is no doubt the past 5 years have been the clubs most successful in its history. So how does it makes sense to change the club name, uniform, and relocate outside of Bulleen?

The decision can only be under a motivation to attract more $$$. A long, proud club is being rebranded, relocated, and severing times with its long and successful junior program for the sake of a few extra thousand dollars!?

Either way the wnbl isn't a sport which attracts big $$$ and Bulleen have proven it can win and consistently make finals under its current structure.

Reply #429543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would suggest it must be difficult to be a community-based club and trying to fund a team to compete openly at the WNBL level. If you are not into basketball or didn't live in Melbourne you probably wouldn't even know where Bulleen was. For that matter could be a fair few people in Melbourne who don't know where Bulleen is...
I wonder what Michele Timms thinks?

Reply #429551 | Report this post

hughj  
Years ago

Good luck to the Melbourne Boomers I live in Knox and will be buying a Boomers membership and I know of a lot of other supporters from Knox will also buy one.I will probably buy a Rangers one as well as I love the WNBL and I suppose you could call a basketball tragic!!!!!!

Reply #429570 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

This really sounds like something consultants came up with to justify the thousands of $$$ spent on them.

I can't see anyone deeply involved in basketball suggesting something as expensive and stupid as this.

Let's see - Nunawading Spectres became ... became ... ??? I don't remember the name change making any difference to the fan base.

I can also remember when the administration stupidly assumed that Melbourne fans would switch allegiance when they shut down the North Melbourne Giants and St Kilda Saints and ...

Reply #429577 | Report this post

hughj  
Years ago

Hoopie - What about Hawthorn's move to Waverley?
Got them thousands of new supporters. It exposed them to the Outer Eastern Suburbs and Gippsland!!
IMO if they were still playing at AFL Park they would have between 80 - 90k supporters?

Reply #429581 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Veneto club is a hole and should NEVER have been a venue for a national level comp. Moving to KNox will be a good move although I am sure its going to place a higher burden on their finances so getting off to a flying start with spectators will be critical. Its no coincidence that all this is taking place while Tom and Michelle are O/S so expect some shit to hit the fan should they return and want to have a say. The link back into the Bulleen association will NEVER go away as thats where alot of the funding comes from although I am sure they will deny it. The attemp to draw more from outside by having a few "comittee" members from other clubs will be an interesting attemp to hoodwink those clubs. Time will tell I guess but if I saw a senior person at my club trying to promote Melbourne ( bulleen) I think I would be dissappointed. Bu then again if I was at Eltham or Ringwood I guess I would be used to being dissappopinted.

Reply #429590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And the change of colour to purple because....? copying popular lakers ! Lakers are lakers because of the Jabbars, magics, worthys..shaqs, kobes...rileys, jacksons..

Just ask Altona what purple has done for them.

Reply #429631 | Report this post

CR  
Years ago

So much comment in this thread that shows no understanding of how WNBL teams have to operate.

It's a struggle for most WNBL teams to survive financially every season - so much dependancy on sponsorship dollars, especially if you are association based team.

As for ^^Anon "attempt to hoodwink those clubs".

Poor and ignorant comment dude - do you think those people would become involved if they didn't see the longer term benefits ... those people understand the bigger picture.

Clearly you don't.

Reply #429838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CR- please explain to all of us dumb people how a weak assoc like Ringwood is going to HELP the Boomers.

Reply #429900 | Report this post

Tmk  
Years ago

The Wnbl needs to do more for the clubs. This is an obvious cry for help from a club at their wits end.

Does Bulleen really think they are going to attract a crowd of more than 500 people with Jarry and Madgen as their major draw cards? Pfft!

Reply #430088 | Report this post

Big Bazza  
Years ago

This is a smart move and a great effort to improve Basketball and in particular women's Basketball. Women’s sport is vital for young girls and young women in providing good positive role models. It also creates a path way for young female Basketballers. WELL DONE TO ALL!

Reply #430310 | Report this post

Boomer 13  
Years ago

Hey TmK, just thought I would remind you of your post. Melbourne Boomers got 940 people to their first game. Just saying. And that is without Jarry back from WNBA.

Good on you Big Bazza! At least someone can see the big picture

Reply #440093 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:00 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754