RJ
Years ago

Classics - DANDENONG Preview Under 16's

Better late then never . . .

Under 16 Boys

Group A: Keilor, Norwood, Sydney, Kilsyth.
Norwood has the tough challenge of facing the Victorian #1 seed Keilor but also the #8 seeded Kilsyth. Sydney Comets have been far from impressive in the Sydney Junior Championship and should represent no challenge for the Flames. On current form the battle will be between Kilsyth and Norwood for the 2nd top 8 spot. While I have no doubt the Flames are capable I'm tipping Kilsyth will have the edge.
Group B: Nunawading, Sturt, Bankstown, Sandringham.
Three tough teams vying for two top eight spots. Injury has definitely dented Sturt's chances of success with a second big man under an injury cloud. With McMath and Brooksby in uniform the Sabres would seem a definite for a top 8 spot but only one may be available and that will definitely hurt. Bankstown appears destined for 4th in this group while the young Sandringham side will be hoping to make the final eight ahead of our own Sabres. Nunawading would appear out of reach for the other three teams in this pool.
Group C: Frankston, North Adelaide, Hills District, Bendigo.
Frankston showed at Easter the talent they have and will be led by their Vic Metro duo to top spot of this pool. North face the challenge of a strong Vic Country side and the currently undefeated Hills District from NSW. The Rockets could possibly be looking at 2nd in this pool or 4th. The Rockets guard rotation is as good as anyone's in S.A. and if they can get enough out of their bigs as they almost did at State Champs a top 8 spot may be tough but not out of reach.
Group D: Geelong, West Adelaide, Canberra, Dandenong.
Geelong is coached by the U16 Vic Country coach and includes two Vic Country players who lead a side which has been impressive so far in the JVBL. Equally impressive has been the Rangers; led by ex-South Adelaide Panther and now Vic Metro selected Daniel Lens along with three other Vic. Metro selected reps. The Rangers were too big, strong and quick for their competitors at Easter in winning the tournament and I'm tipping them to take top of this pool. Unfortunately for the Bearcats State Championship glory has its problems and the unfair Classics draw is definitely the worst of them. The Bearcats are a deep and balanced side led by many State Metro and Country reps including my State Champs MVP Nathan Humphries and an experienced coach in Bob Hunnerup. But all this may not be enough for a top 8 finish this weekend as beating either the Rangers or Cats will be an extremely tough task. Add to that the talented Canberra/ACT side and the Bearcats will have to fight for every win they get in their preliminary games.

RJ's Final Four: 1.Keilor, 2.Dandenong, 3.Nunawading, 4.Frankston.

SA Predicted Final Placing: Sturt 5 - 8, West Adelaide 9 - 10, North Adelaide 11 - 12, Norwood 13 - 16.

Under 16 Girls

Group A: Dandenong, Norwood, Sutherland, Eltham.
The currently undefeated Dandenong are as good an Under 16 girls team as you could want to see. They have depth across the floor and their size is something no S.A. team can compete with. The Rangers will definitely go top of this pool and most likely face Nunawading for the title on Monday. The Flames have five SA Metro reps in uniform as well as an experienced state coach at the helm. Sutherland currently sit 3rd in the Sydney Junior Championships and while they'll push the Flames I think Norwood will be too good for the Sharks. Eltham will prove a challenge for the 2nd top 8 spot but I like this Flames group and therefore hold out hope they can snap up 2nd in this pool.
Group B: Nunawading, West Adelaide, Hills District, Knox.
I think this group represents an unexpectedly tough Group in comparison to other grades. Nunawading are as impressive an outfit as the Rangers and will be way too good for their group B competition. Hills District boasts four NSW Metro reps and will definitely challenge for a final eight spot. Knox were good enough to win the Easter tournament ahead of Classics bound Flames, Rockets and Spectres but haven't been able to quite live up to that form in the local competition. I'm tipping they'll still be too good for the Bearcats and Hills Hornets sides and will advance to the final eight.
Group C: Melbourne, Forestville, Newcastle, Korumurra.
Forestville have a real shot at a high placing from this pool if they manage to compete at their best. The blend of so made Country girls into a side can have its drawbacks but the talent of some of those players isn't to be questioned. Problem is the Melbourne Tigers have done enough to come into the weekend as the 3rd seeded Victorian side in a strong age group and probably are too talented for the Eagles to match. Newcastle for me are the dark horse and will boast five Nationals bound NSW Country reps in their side. The battle between them and the Eagles should definitely be one to see. Korumurra have been impressive at Vic Country level and boast a real talent in Donahue. Whether or not they have the depth to go with the three other sides in this pool is yet to be seen. I think they might find it tough to get a win here.
Group D: Box Hill, North Adelaide, Canberra, Diamond Valley.
Box Hill or Nunawading (2) have shown the depth the Spectres have in this age group by qualifying as 4th seed. They appear to be the Rockets biggest opposition. That being said Diamond Valley and a very talented Canberra team make this a very deep and even group and if the Rockets aren't switched on (surely not a possibility with Brenton Johnston coaching the side) they may find themselves without a win from their group games. Brenton's been here many times before and knows what's required to get the wins and if they can hide their lack of legit strength inside (a pretty tough call considering they have a State big in the team I know) they should slip in behind Box Hill into the Final Eight.

RJ's Final Four: 1.Nunawading, 2.Dandenong (in what I think will be the best Grand Final of the event) 3. Melbourne, 4.Newcastle.

SA Predicted Final Placing: North Adelaide 5 - 8, Norwood 5 - 8, Forestville 9 - 12, West Adelaide 13 -16.

Should have Under 18's up by Thursday morning at the latest.

Topic #3226 | Report this topic

RJ's Groupie  
Years ago

Good write up RJ.

Reply #37250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how does the best team in melbourne and best team in sydney end up in the same group, throw in Knox and the Bearcats were certainly rewarded for beating Norwood for 3rd st State Champs

Reply #37251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cuz they don't.

Nunawading are the second ranked melbourne team not the best. Knox are ranked number 7 by basketball victoria.

Reply #37256 | Report this post

Diminuitive  
Years ago

Norwood have the worst chance of all SA teams. Having had a fairly good State Champs weekend they did well to get first but South were definately tipped to come ahead of Norwood. The strength of their centre state player Dubrich cannot be matched at the moment.

Throughout the summer season, Norwood were beaten by South convincingly on both occaisions.
Unfortunately for South, they missed out on a top 4 spot by 3 points! This was their loss against West, which was unlucky for them.

South have a great chance in Nunawading playing against some less experienced opposition. I am confident that they will take out their Nunawading league this weekend.

Reply #37258 | Report this post

need to hear some more about the under 18 girls and how they are going to go in Melbourne. please get a convo going about that!

Reply #37264 | Report this post

Colonel Jessup  
Years ago

Actually Diminuitive, Norwood have probably the BEST chance of going through to the top 8. Whilst they will likely get mauled by Keilor (as will most of the SA teams by the top 4 Vic teams), they have Sydney City who are average, and Kilsyth who are the lowest ranked Victorian team. Beat Kilsyth and they are looking at a 5-8 finish. Norwood played Kilsyth close at Easter and I'm sure Carlo has the game plan to beat them this weekend.

If the South centre "could not be matched" how come they lost to both North and West at State Champs? I'd say those two TEAMS matched them well enough to win the game, esp. North who are very short in comparison.

And I'm sure South will do very well over in Nunawading - after all, I've heard they've only entered in Reserve grade!! They should have a great time beating up on div 2 teams.....

Reply #37265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is the South div 2 team that is playing at Nunawading not the Div 1`s

Reply #37277 | Report this post

June McKenzie  
Years ago

Before everyone enters into a contest of who is right and who is wrong, I can tell you south div 1 boys are playing at Nunawading in AR and div 2 in B and div 3 in C.
Anyone wanting to know the reasons why, feel free to ring me but please do not speculate or or run this team down purely because you love to south bash.

Reply #37280 | Report this post

Stella Artois  
Years ago

How do we contact you June???????

Reply #37294 | Report this post

Billy Bob  
Years ago

Great write up of the Under 16s. I fear you have underated the second best team in NSW in Bankstown. I also believe that Norwood could finish top 8 due to the draw they received. As stated they will probably get mauled by Keilor but should beat the other two teams. Its funny, but I think the #1 ranked SA team in West have been given the toughest draw. They will need to shoot the lights out to make top 8, we all know that they can do this as well. As for North I believe they could go through to the top 8 but will also need their guards to run the show. As for Sturt I believe with only one big guy available they will have to play a great defensive game to make it to the top 8.

Once again a great write up by RJ.

Reply #37296 | Report this post

Years ago

Yea good job RJ. West is by far one of the best SA teams and if they had a better draw they might of done ALOT better than what RJ said they would. Also Sturt without their big men rnt going to stand a chance against some of the more taller opposition that they will face in Melbourne. This will be the fate of many SA teams during the classics.

Good Luck to every SA team going over!!

Reply #37299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

RJ - another great preview.

I think Norwood are a good chance to make top 8 - they have a legit chance to win the 2 pool games needed to go through with Sydney Comets and Kilsyth. I would say they'll finish 7-8 if they beat Kilsyth, 13-16 if they don't - and I think they will beat them.

Sturt are also a chance - dependant on who plays as you've mentioned. I think both Bankstown and Sandringham are winnable - but both will be super tough games and if players are hurt or underdone it could be a struggle if they play a lot. They could finish 2, 3 or 4 in their pool. Rank guess 9-12.

North's pool is similar. Both Hills and Bendigo are winnable, but tough games. I think Hills might suprise and go though 2nd behind Frankstown, who are a class above. I'll say 9-12.

West are definitely in the "Pool of Death". Whilst they should handle Canberra comfortably they will have a monster of a time trying to get a second pool win against Geelong or Dandenong. I think Geelong will be the best chance to see our State Champs progress. 9-12.

Good luck Bearcats, Rockets, Sabres and Flames!!
One things for sure - these 4 teams always play hard and will no doubt win the respect of many.

Reply #37300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

had heard from someone Nunawading beat dandenong by a largish margin earlier in the year, hence is said nunawading is the best team going round

Reply #37360 | Report this post

jingel  
Years ago

i hope all SA teams go well

Reply #37388 | Report this post

wbils  
Years ago

west adelaide bearcats will be tough competition for the vics

Reply #37434 | Report this post

MELHOOPS  
Years ago

Great Stuff Guys. I've been waiting for something like this to be posted. RJ, you've obviously done a heap of research. Let me fill a couple of holes in the boys comp. for you.

Pool 1 - Keilor, as stated will be hard to beat. Although they did have a hard time getting over Kilsyth about four weeks ago in Vic Champs. Kilsyth should finish second in this pool, however if you can slow the game down against them you'll certainly be in with a show. Norwood should finish third in the pool, unless they can knock off one of Keilor or Kilsyth. Personally I don't see this happening. Now, I've heard from a Sydney friend that the Sydney team are all bottom age players, which would make their effort of 5th in the Sydney Champs pretty good. As everyone else has stated probably not capable of an upset.

Pool 2 - Nunawading lost to Keilor by about 8 and by all reports the margin was about 17 with 3:00 mins left on the clock. They are not tall, although quite tuff and very experienced having finished 3rd at the Nationals in 2003 and winning the classic the same year. Last year they were Runners Up in VC as a bottom age group playing as NW2. Inside info. is they are currently on their 3rd coach for the year, that can hardly be seen as a successful formula. Although capable of being upset should win the pool. Sturt are in great position to go through in 2nd spot as they have already beaten Sandringham at Easter and it would not surprise if they suit up the injured players and get over the line against Bankstown. After all representation in this tournament doesn't come along every year. Bankstown is the unknown quantity here and they should hold their current form against some of the better teams in NSW and compete well for 3rd. Sandringham beat Frankston three weeks ago and thats about all I've got to say about them (Mum always says "If you've got nothing nice to say don't say anything at all"). Their a young side and their year is 2006.

Pool 3 - My tip to win this pool is Hills, they have no less than 4 NSW Metro players and haven't lost a game in Syd Champs. For those of you that insist on dismissing them anyway, keep in mind that NSW Metro won the Eltham Tournament in January and beat Keilor, Sturt, Frankston and Dandenong along the way. Frankston have recently had their two Vic Metro players return from injury (ankle & knee)after long periods on the sidelines. This team is very deep as their results without the best two players show. Although their two big Vic Metro reps are as smooth as silk and can score from just about any position, I truly believe you need to stop their 3 starting gaurds. Their main big guy is prone to fouling and doesn't like the hard stuff. Frankston have beaten Dandenong in VC and the Eltham Tournament and also lost to them at Easter. They have beaten Geelong twice in VC by small margins and Keilor at Easter. They are obviously the main threat to Hills and their is a pretty big gap between these two and North Adelaide and Bendigo. North haven't been up to it at Eltham and Norwood and can't be seen as a real threat in this pool. Bendigo should account for North provided the injury cloud over their main guy Matt Dellavedova is lifted as expected. This kid could provide an upset all by himself. Write his name down and don't forget it. Bendigo has Matt and another State Rep. and it's a pitty they didn't get an easier pool because I think they deserve a top 8 finish but won't be able to topple Hills and Frankston.

Pool 3 - Ahhh, all this talk about BV being better than BASA at organising tournaments and the like in recent weeks. Well take a look at this pool. West Adelaide have been well and truly ripped off. They would have to be Odds on to finish 9th. They will have to beat one of Geelong or Dandenong to make the top 8, Ouch! Dandenong will come out with a point to prove in their game against Geelong after losing by 4 last time they met. Dandenong will win this game and it could be by a margin due to the before mentioned last meeting. Dandenong are the better team, led by Bryce Arnott (Vic Metro Captain)possibly the best Under 16 player in the country. They are soooooooo deep and it probably creates a court time problem for them at this level. Dandenong has 4 Vic Metro players, as does Geelong with the Vic Country team (2 x Geelong, 1 x Warrnambool, 1 x Timboon). Geelong may have trouble getting over a first game belting by Dandenong if it happens. This would be West Adelaide's chance to come out guns ablaze. Canberra should give Nunawading Stadium a call and see if they have room for them down there.

MELHOOPS Top 8
Keilor v. Sturt
Nunawading v. Kilsyth
Hills v. Geelong
Dandenong v. Frankston

MELHOOPS Top 4
Keilor v. Frankston
Nunawading v. Hills

As for after this I think anything can happen, and beware of the upset. There will be an upset along the way, no doubt.

Reply #37441 | Report this post

MELHOOPS  
Years ago

RJ,

Just fo you info. Daniel Lens hardly leads the Dandenong team as he starts on the bench. I know he made the Vic Metro team, but thats a seperate issue and I won't go into that. Do yourself a favour if your in Dandenong on the weekend and watch the Keilor gaurd Dillon Joyce and you'll understand what I'm saying here.

Well done on supporting an ex-club player, Daniel's a good kid and a great team player.

Reply #37443 | Report this post

Vito Spatafore  
Years ago

Mel - great report. RJ is definitely going to be there - ask some of the SA coaches they know who he is!

I can still see Norwood beating Kilsyth if they play well - when I have seen them the Snakes have not been up to the level of Dandy, Frankston, Nunas and Keilor (I haven't seen Geelong). Whoever goes through 2nd in pool A though will most likely come 8th.....but you never know.

West certainly are in the "Death Pool" - but it is well known that the SA State Champ gets pool D so they should be prepared. Played both Vic teams at Easter, got rolled by Dandy by a bit but how did they go against Geelong?

North and Sturt have the most "even" pools - in terms that there are no "should" wins you'd have marked up already (ala Sydney and Canberra). Whilst Sturt beat Sandy at Easter - it was the last game when neither team had a chance to qualify - the orange sabres gave their bench extended time and their best player (Vic Met emergency I think) played sparingly. I'd call it even money between Sandrinham, Bankstown and Sturt for the 2nd spot - dependant on the injuries. North don't have a cert either - they could go 2-1, 1-2 or 0-3. I think they will struggle - Hills 2nd for mine too with Frankston.

Funny that due to the quirks of the draw that the highest ranked SA team (West) may struggle big time whilst the lowest ranked SA team (Norwood) go through.

Anyway - good luck to the SA teams, and good luck to your team too MelH (most of us know your team) - will say hi when we run into you!

Reply #37454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Vito, make sure you do say Hi. Geelong didn't go to Norwood at Easter.

Reply #37460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cant u do tht for the 18s please RJ

Reply #37501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

some girls results so far

North and West lost both there first two games, North to Canberra (by about 20) and Eltham (by 10) and West lost to Hills by 9 and Knox by 15

Norwood lost there first game, to Sutherland by 20 odd

and Forrestville lost there first to Newcastle

more later

Reply #37644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood and West finished bottom in their pools

think North and Forrestville won one pool game each

Reply #37654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

U16 girls
north-9th
west-13th
forestville-15th
norwood-16th

Reply #37750 | Report this post

RJ  
Years ago

Hey MELHOOPS your boys were very impressive and extremely unlucky to miss out on a spot in the final. The energy they played with in the semi showed the difference between SA juniors and VIC juniors. Thanks for the experience :-)

When I recover I'll post a review of the weekend.

Reply #37794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

RJ and Melhoops who did u guys think were the best ten players of the tournament

Reply #45241 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:24 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754