Seablfan
Years ago

SEABL Round 18

Another interesting round of results!

Can anyone explain the 34pt smacking Knox handed out to Bendigo? The braves did bounce back the following day to beat Hobart but strange result. Maybe just a bad day.
Dandenong continue to build towards a finals run, very good win over a Kilsyth team who have been playing very well of late.
Sandringham look to also be peaking at the right time. Two wins after losing to Geelong by a point.

NW Tasmania and Nunawading both had winning streaks ended but still look good. Mt Gambier get the job done again and should hold top spot now for finals. Hobart two tough losses against two tough teams and missing Armstrong. Can't see any of theses teams missing finals now.

Topic #32275 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe 2 losses within the space of 3 games for Bendigo shows that they aren't daylight ahead of the rest of the competition. They may have the best starting 5 in the league, but they rely heavily on them and if those guys have an off night do they have any players on the bench who can step up and help shoulder the load, or someone who can have a big impact in small minutes?

Geelong put in one of their most even team offensive performances of the season; 92 points from the team with an individual high score of 21, 9 of the 10 players who took to the court scoring and 23 assists from the team. Continue to spread the scoring like that will make it harder for opposing teams as you can't just lock down on 1 or 2 players as there are 3 or 4 others capable of stepping up on any given night. Back to top of the ladder for the moment after winning their last 3 and starting to find their best form at the right end of the season.

Reply #430096 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Massive weekend with some surprises.

Bendigo Still faves but might be running out of steam due to lack of depth...but come finals the key guys will perform.

Mt gambier - Back to form....guess hammer wasn't there to running training this week...interesting weekend ahead for them with Dandy paying them a visit

Nunawading - Drop a close one at home...the run has ended now time to see if they can get back on track or if they are pretenders!

Geelong - Mixed there form this month but think they are working out of the funk, looking forward to see them in the next 2 rounds to see if they can string consistant performances together.

Hobart - Lack depth which is hurting them....but i think they are a bit like Nunawading and could be pretenders...love to be proven wrong thou but a win to steady the ship is needed this weekend.

Reply #430104 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

I'm not sure which surprises me more, Knox giving Bendigo a hiding or their terrible performance this year. I think they are a much better team than their position on the table suggests & have really under performed this year.

I really think any team that makes the playoffs is a chance to win this since all of the top teams are more than capable of beating any other team on their day.

Reply #430105 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

If you look at Knox's list they should be alot better than they have been.

CJ, Strong,Philip,Carter, Caroll, Hill, Todd

Not a bad core....and yes they lack bench depth but so do the Bendigo's, Hobart etc

Not sure if it was a coaching change or just bad luck but that list should be playing finals or close to it.

Reply #430106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think a lot on Knox problem stems from Strong not having a great year. His career average of 16.6ppg is down to 13.6ppg this season. He is only down half a rebound a game but has fouled out of 5 games this year so a 1/5th. I think the lack of a real presence inside, along with injuries etc has hurt them.

Reply #430107 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

As always Beth Davis gives a comprehensive wrap:

http://andthefoul.net/archives/6810

Reply #430110 | Report this post

Astor  
Years ago

Another controversial end-of-game call with finals implications. Wonder whether SEABL will take steps to at least make sure that all teams are fully aware of what they need to do if they want to officially challenge a referee's decision at the end of a game!

http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/1669216/there-will-be-no-points-reversal-seabl/?cs=63

Reply #430118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon - reading the article, it seems that Ballarat was aware of what steps needed to be taken to lodge a protest, but they have contacted the league to find out what to do if the referees leave the court before a protest can be lodged.

It's pointless the league telling clubs how to go about lodging a protest and what needs to be done if they don't actually have a chance to lodge a protest in the first place due to the referees running off court before anything can be done about their error.

IF the last line of the article is correct that there was a missed travel call as well before the potentially late shot, that is 2 counts of bad/poor umpiring within a matter of seconds.

And unlike the error in the Mt Gambier/Knox game earlier which at this stage has no effect on ladder order, if Sandringham went on to lose in overtime, they would move from 3rd to 5th on the ladder & Geelong into 4th due to head-to-head advantage - so this could have an impact on final standings.

Reply #430121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Knox outcome can very well impact ladder position, it could be the difference between Mt Gambier finishing top with a home final and second and Nunawading missing out.

You can't stop the referee's leaving the court if they believe the call was correct.

Reply #430122 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

#430121 & #430122

The rules are clear on this. While the Captain is meant to inform the referee, in their absence signing the scoresheet (there is actually a space on the scoresheet that says: "Captains Signature in case of protest") would be sufficient to lodge a protest.

If the referees have run off the court in fear of their well-being, then they won't have signed the scoresheet and the captain can easily do it.

The rules also say (same section) that electronic equipment, including video, can be used to determine whether a shot has been taken during regulation time or whether a shot is a 2 or 3 pointer. it does not preclude the use of this at all, in fact, I would suggest it encourages this to resolve the issue.

As I stated in the thread involving the Knox - mt Gambier game, the SEABL may have a variation to this. But, a captain at this level should know the FIBA rules at least. In the absence of the alternative, they should proceed down the FIBA path.

Reply #430143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unfortunatly there can be no video review after the game is long over. It most certainly can be done immediately after the game is concluded. Why this didnt occur is probbably the issue. If the refs arent about no one can do anything.

Reply #430166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For those either in denial or haven't read SEABLs position please read this:

"As the league stated following the conclusion to the Round 16 game between Knox and Mt Gambier, SEABL Bylaws do not allow for decisions to be made using video technology once the game is completed. As such, the result cannot be overturned on the basis of any video evidence presented."

In short THEY CANNOT use video review to judge the end of the game and if a shot happens after it..

SIMPLE.

Reply #430175 | Report this post

facts  
Years ago

they also said based on the footage the call was correct anyway

Reply #430176 | Report this post

hughj  
Years ago

Facts - I think they all need glasses. I have watched the video and shot was DEFINATELY after the siren.

Reply #430191 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Not sure where the quote came from, but here is the actual quote from the SEABL release after the Knox game.

+It should be noted that as per FIBA guidelines, the SEABL Bylaws do not allow for decisions to be made using video technology once a game is completed, and therefore there is no provision to allow for the reversal of this decision. Therefore in this case the referee's decision will stand."

Two inconsistencies/confusions here:

a) it is not per FIBA guidelines at all, FIBA rules allow for this to occur, so either SEABL by-laws specifically retard use of the technology or the SEABL have got it wrong
b) the definition of "complete" is important. Until the officials sign the scoresheet anything on that scoresheet can be changed, so I would argue the game is not complete until they do

Reply #430208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HO, the quote is from the SEABL site, the game is complete once the final siren goes and the officials signal the game is over.

The paperwork is signed to confirm the score sheet is correct.

Reply #430213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hughj the complaint from Ballarat states "that the shot clock expired before the shot went off" there was no shot clock running as I guess there was only a short amount of time remaining on the game clock. It looks as though the clock is still running from that video.

Reply #430214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is no way the video footage or camera equipment at most SEABL games is upto FIBA standard or setup to accurately and in most cases clearly allow it to be used to over rule a call based on when the game ended.

SEABL officials are told they cant use the technology anyway so like it or lump it we have to accept once they determine the outcome it's done and dusted.

Reply #430215 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Here is what the rule book says about Video.

Videos, films, pictures or any equipment, visual, electronic, digital, or otherwise, may be used only to:

Decide if a last shot for a field goal at the end of each period or each extra period was released during playing time and/or whether that shot for a field
goal counts for two (2) or three (3) points.

So you are saying that this can only be the case unless its the final period of the game?

Reply #430222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HO, sorry to labour the point but SEABL DO NOT ALLOW THIS, how much clearer must i make it.?

Reply #430223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2 instances of this in one season suggests that it is something that should be looked at for next season and beyond.

Reply #430225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe SEABL need to make a definitive statement about what is the correct situation and clear this up once and for all.

When is the game complete?
When can video be used, if at all?
Can the coaches demand the official return to the court to clarify the situation.?

It appears they don't even know.

Reply #430227 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

SEABL seems to be following the refs' example by running away & refusing to deal with the issue.

Reply #430228 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

And sorry to labour the point for you #430223 but SEABL say they do no allow it as PER FIBA guidelines. But FIBA guidelines do NOT say that. How much clearer must I make it?

Reply #430267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SEABL have been very ambiguous about this, possibly deliberately.

Reply #430271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why can't seabl just post their local rule that explains their stance. They tried the same thing with braces and skins, shooting sleeves padding etc recently. Their firm stance changed after numerous clubs complained about their stupid rigid stance. FIBA was the excuse there too.

Reply #430277 | Report this post

hughj  
Years ago

Anonymous I was talking about the Knox v Mt.Gambier game!

Reply #430282 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:14 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754