Pauly B
Years ago

VJBL to ban zone defense in U12 next season

I believe one of the agenda items at the next VJBL delegates meeting will be to ban zone D in all U12 VJBL games for next season.

I would like to see this extended to U14's as well. Too many coaches put winnning and their own ego above development.

Thoughts?

Topic #32329 | Report this topic

Happy Days  
Years ago

Great idea.My team only plays man on man because developing my kids is more important than winning.

Reply #431153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How does only playing man to man defence develop kids?
Wouldnt having them (at such a young age) learn about correct positioning, spacing and techniques be better than having them run after another player like headless chooks?

Reply #431154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How does standing still in the keyway develop kids?

Anyone who thinks teaching zones is development is just lazy.

Reply #431156 | Report this post

hughj  
Years ago

You teach them the correct way to play zone. That is you put pressure on the ball,you move from weakside to split, everyone moves,it is a different look and if taught correctly is the same as playing mam2man except you already have your players in the help position. NBA,NBL,WNBA,&WNBL USE IT.

Reply #431157 | Report this post

Pauly B  
Years ago

Anonymous - If you teach kids proper man to man defense, many of the same princples will then help them later on when they can play zone or any other style of defense. U12 zone D is basically pack it in and wait for the the offense to heave a shot they can't make, usually with no pressue on the ball and poor (to none) defensive stance.

The kids won't run around like headless chooks if you teach them correct positioning, when to adjust, how to close out and how to stay in front of the ball.

If all these kids learn is to stand in the key and wait for a rebound, what happens when they get into a close game and they have to pressure the ball full court or even half court to force a turnover? Simple, they won't be able to do that because they won't know how.

Reply #431158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can tell the spud coaches on here - they're the ones who actually agree with U/12s playing zone defence!

Reply #431160 | Report this post

Joker  
Years ago

Generally, kids who only play zone at u/12's, will win more games. The problem is, these same kids won't be able to play at a high level once the offense gets stronger at u/14's. Seen it a million times. Lazy coaches who just want to win early, end up with players that arent that good at older levels.

Reply #431161 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I think this would be a positive step towards developing young players and would encourage teams to focus more on fundamentals by allowing the offense to run better, especially off the screen.

This is tough enough to teach properly at under 12's and zones just make it harder on the kids.

All in all, a very good move and yes it should stop at 16's but be included at 14's.

I would also like to see no games for under 16 year old kids after 8.30pm (No game for school kids should start after this time, it is just too late) IMO!

Reply #431162 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Great Idea, hope it extends to the Classic.

Reply #431163 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Concept is fine, but how will the ref be able to determine the difference between a zone and proper m2m?

If players are on the split line on the weak side and halfway between their man and the ball strong side as they should be, this will look like a zone?

In my opinion the way some under 12's and 14's play tag on their men with no concepts of team defense due to poor coaching can be more detrimental to their development than zone.

Reply #431165 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Good coaching should accommodate for this and compensate for any lack of a 'zone buster' and yes, not easy for the referee to add this to his/her night's workload, but I believe the idea is to try and stop the stand still 'zombie D' that can creep into our game at this age...

That in itself is a good idea, notwithstanding the fact that it is never an easy concept to implement.

Reply #431167 | Report this post

Magic  
Years ago

Been holding back on this for some time

Reply #431168 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

What I would like to see here is the referees work closer with the coaches, especially in under 12 age group. Don't be so stand-off-ish and communicate with the coach more during a game to be on the same page.

Too often the referee and coach are in conflict, this is a good way to bridge some of this gap, by speaking about zones and alike beforehand and form a closer relationship during games.

At least start this way, see how it goes! If the coach is a dick, still needs to be tech'ed, just that I see some games would be better off if communication between coach and official is improved!

Otherwise implementing a no zone rule could go the opposite way and just cause more frustration!!

Reply #431169 | Report this post

Man to man certainly develops players footwork when their opponent has the ball. It also develops their defensive skills and knowledge when either one pass or two passes away from the ball. ( ie spacing, triangles etc) All of these principles can then be used to quickly adapt to zone defence if/when required later in their careers (WNBL, NBL, SEABL etc.) Nothing to lose by doing away with the zone at junior level but plenty to gain. I have noticed that after 30 odd years of playing and coaching, the best zone defenders (ie. box well, shift with ball movement, are aware of the split, etc) are also the among the best 'off the ball' defenders in man.

Reply #431170 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

What if the 12's or 14's have a couple of bigs who play man but protect the paint? I'm worried referees will be in constant arguments with coaches about the defense being played.

Reply #431175 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

I'm with Bear

Reply #431181 | Report this post

gun dad  
Years ago

i work to the rule -

you can sag off the offender to split line - if the offence is on the weak side.

but you cant just run back and camp in the paint.

you can still set traps etc but once inside the 3 point arc cant zone up - must be some resemblance of a match / man up

Reply #431198 | Report this post

gun dad  
Years ago

melbourne boy - forget the concept of "guarding the paint" that is exactly what this initiative stops

Reply #431199 | Report this post

hughj  
Years ago

Melbourne boy you got it spot on.How many times do you see and hear coaches and parents yelling out to players "get on a man".So the kid goes and gets in his opponents face -- IN THE CORNER ON THE WEAK SIDE. It can be argued that playing mam2man is for SOME coaches who don't know how to teach the skills of being able to play defence.Look don't get me wrong - nothing looks worse than 5 ststues garding the paint. But a pressuring,moving,rotating zone can be quite effective as a different look.Maybe you have a rule that you can't play zone for the first half? But as someone said earlier if your playing man2man properly it will look like a zone anyway.I like to use a combination of defences so I guess we will have to agree to disagree with all the 'anti zoners" out there!!!!!

Reply #431211 | Report this post

Pauly B  
Years ago

If you teach a kid basic shell D. They're not going to stand in the corner on the weakside if they execute it properly. Proper man D is easy to spot, just watch how a split line defender rotates when the ball moves and also on backdoor cuts if they go with the cutter to the basket.

Reply #431219 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I guess the big thing here is the age of the kids, under 12's especially.

In the VJBL most coaches will only get one or two sessions of training per week into them and maybe if lucky two hours per session.

So much to teach them, so this in my opinion will just reinforce those important SHELL defensive principles which are a fundamental of the man2man style we are suggesting.

Of course, teams are at different levels of skill (VC -Regionals), but time is precious to all coaches, all this will do is assist in some coaches to focus more of their time on fundamentals.

A good thing if you ask me...

Not suggesting for a moment that a coach couldn't switch up his/her defense during a game and yes, agree that a competent man2man may sometimes look a little like a zone, but if common sense is applied this should only be a plus for all concerned...

Reply #431224 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Gun Dad, i'd love to coach against you if your team doesn't guard the paint, at any level. The distance the help d stands away from their direct opponent is dependent on shooting ability, so in 12's and 14's why the hell wouldn't you teach the players to play good help d, heavily protect penetration and rotate behind the helper, and also teach proper close outs?

Reply #431225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm so glad hughj doesn't coach at my club! Trying to justify 10 and 11 year olds playing zone!

Reply #431240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zone is a cop out for poor coaching. END OF STORY.

At that age group id rather lose admirably while trying to teach my kids proper defensive skills than win and they don't understand why.

Reply #431243 | Report this post

hughj  
Years ago

I'd love to coach against you anonymous. We would throw all sorts of pressure defence at you and i am sure with your obviuos lack of knowledge you would lose DISMALLY!!!!

Reply #431259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That may happen this week and even next week hughj.

But if your team and club are going to play zone each year, I'll wager any money you want my club and my teams with produce more elite level players than you ever will.

As well as smash come the end of the year.

Reply #431261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Refs can't tell the difference between a zone and a soft pack man to man defence.

Bringing in this rule is only going to have even less educated parents on the sideline yelling and screaming for a call.

Keep it as is.

Teach a zone offense and get on with it

Reply #431263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Teach U12 zone offence? Really?

When the common feedback is that coaches should be teaching better fundamentals, correct shooting technique etc, how does an U12 coach then cover zone offence with what would be a maximum of 2 1/2 hours of training a week, if even close to that.

Don't just think current U12 VC here. Think of the bottom age U12s (VJL and Regional divisions where most of next year's VC will come from)who generally haven't got the strength for a proper outside shot? Some of the pro-zone brainiacs suggest teach your kids to shoot! However I also note that most of those people haven't coached (nor would I suggest cared much for) U12s on a Friday night for some period of time.

I am a coach who likes to mix up team defence including the use of zone defence. That is called coaching, however I do not do this at the U12 level. In my humble opinion, at the U12 age group, coaching is more about teaching. Our teaching at this level if we are interested in providing children any opportunity at a pathway at all, is to be educating on the fundamentals of the game. Having to teach zone offence at the U12 level is a ridiculous theory and one that damages the opportunities not only for the team playing zone, but for their opposition.

I respect the zone discussion. I have followed it for months, but nobody has yet been able to provide a real reason to keep it in play at the U12 level. The case against Zone defence is simple -It hurts player development

The policing method is the one issue existing and I as a coach have contributed via my club delegate as to how I think it should occur. I would urge coaches that instead of continuing to be part of the problem, to try and come up with a constructive solution.

Reply #431266 | Report this post

hughj  
Years ago

My team plays a mixture of defences, Anonymous you should carefully read other peoples replies and also learn how to teach your team to play a variety of defences INCLUDING zone.

Reply #431267 | Report this post

the swindler  
Years ago

my u10s run shaka smart's havoc D all the time

Reply #431268 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Swindler have you found your under 10's have worked better using the Princeton offense or Tex's Triangle offense?

Reply #431271 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

About time IMO.

Ive always been an advocate on M2M and think its a great decisiin if it gets up.

Reply #431272 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Serious question Swindler, are you older than the players in your team?

:)

Reply #431279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watching coaches use Zone in U12's is almost as annoying as watching them try to drill ridiculously complicated sets and drills they learned off youtube or a (insert flavor of the month US coach) video or clinic.

Keep it simple Coaches, make our kids solid and sound as a rock with basic fundamentals and leave the more advanced stuff for much later in their careers.!!!!!

Reply #431284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hughj's last two posts have just made us all even more thankful he doesn't "coach" at my club!

You may beat us with your zone, we may even lose DISMALLY - but we know that our players will be developed with solid basketball fundamentals that will translate better when they are older and can run various schemes. While your players don't understand anything other than "2-3, be a tree"!

Of course, you will still have that completely irrelevant U/12 victory to gloat about years down the track!

Reply #431341 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Knox is going to be in trouble if this is the case. It is their club defence!

Reply #431347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've been coaching at U12's for a number of years now, and I have to say I'm very pleased at the prospect of no zone defense. I'm definitely on the side of the fence that says these kids don't have the strength to reliably shoot from outside a packed zone, so that's one big weapon that's missing in attacking any zones.

Reply #431349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you think that the only way to beat a zone is to shoot over it then your not a REAL COACH .

Reply #431352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can try baiting with as many inane comments as you like, but outside shots are an integral part of beating a zone. I've got some great interior "zone buster" offenses that I've used at U12's, but to use them effectively, I've got to spend time teaching and practising the timing and execution - all things that in my opinion are a complete waste of time with kids who can't yet do things consistently like:
- move laterally effectively (stance/balance etc.)
- help and recover
- dribble reliably both hands under varied circumstances
- finish reliably both sides of the basket
- pass reliably both sides of their body with good technique
The more time I spend on Zone-O, the less teaching I can do of those type of fundamentals, and so the less skilled my players are when I hand them on to the U14's coaches. As an association, we want solid athletes who have the best chance of success at the highest level as they progress through the sport, not U12 Championships.

Reply #431358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spot on #358. I can't believe what I am reading in some of these posts.

Reply #431373 | Report this post

Domma  
Years ago

Interesting Anon (Reply #431347), being a coach at Knox, I would have run perhaps 8 mins of zone for the year, including grading and practice matches... not quite on the money there champ.

Reply #431375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what is the proposal all the hooha is about. Is it somewhere to be read ? I asked my club about it and they dont know anything.

Reply #431377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

U12's should be about developing sound shooting technique, teaching them to dribble and pass effectively both hands, make a left and right hand lay up, start to understand the fundamentals of man to man defense: denial 1 pass away, help off 2 passes away, split like, BASICS, Boxing out, communication.
So when they move to U14's they have solid fundamental base and they start to teach more offense and defense.
But too many coaches are obsessed with complicated crap more suited to the NBL or D1 college than U12's.

Reply #431380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't want to label any Association, but one very recently (colours of purple and yellow) won the VC under 12's and 14's then went to Nationals and Classic where I believe zones were not allowed and didn't even make finals.

Results can speak for themselves, this would be a good decision.

Reply #431382 | Report this post

HPC  
Years ago

Is it ironic that the club leading the pack with this movement is littered with zoning coaches at all levels? 1st team coaches no less!

You know what they say about people in glass houses..........

Reply #431403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which club has proposed this? I like the idea although this is the first I've heard about it.

Reply #431406 | Report this post

VP  
Years ago

I think it will be too hard to control by Referees.

What you believe as a Coach to be M2M may be deemed zone - such as split line defence.

It would have to be carefully defined what can & can't be done in terms of M2M defence.

I've seen teams play M2M and have 4 players in the key the whole time.

What about zone press & trapping defence.

If the defence outnumber the offence team in a half of the court or in an area is that man or zone?

Personally, if I see two players playing High & Low split then thats zone defence.

The only way around it may be to have a 3 second in the key defence rule to prevent players camping in the key without directly defending a player.

Very interesting discussion otherwise.

Reply #431412 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I agree with some of your points VP, they are valid and before the decision if made I would hope to see some workable and common sense directives come from the VJBL on this.

That will be interesting, but I am not sure this is ground breaking stuff here, surely it has been done before somewhere with some varying form of success?

We have all been to tournaments where they have the old 'Zone Buster' monitoring courts to warn the odd coach here and there, but this won't work for the simple logistics nightmare of such a broad competition.

That leaves it to officials, and for me the fact that they will only be able to succeed if coaches also get on board and the two (or four) work as one on it...

Must be driven by VJBL to the referees, the Associations and then to the coaches as a directive (and a positive one at that)IMO!

Reply #431414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Personally, if I see two players playing High & Low split then thats zone defence."

Then you have no idea how man-to-man defence is played.

Reply #431460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice and topical - caught some of an U12 game last night where one team got back into a game by playing zone. They were "terrible" man2man defenders, and keeping on playing zone isn't going to teach them. 2 or 3 years that team's gunna be toast!

Reply #431679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

this all started because a coach LOST a game to zone defence. Make NO MISTAKE about the motives here, its a huge dummy spit . She didn't start her blog page after she won a game and felt sorry for the losing team she started it AFTER SHE LOST !!!!
Its based on a personal reason NOT whats best for the game. Half of her own club plays zone FFS !!

Reply #431700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who cares about the motive - I'm just happy it's on the cards. It's definitely best for the game.

Reply #431705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

zoning is basketball. Full court, half court, trapping, movement, all of it.

Maybe they should lower the rings if they can't shoot it.

Reply #431707 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Anon, it's not about stopping a coach from developing a full court press or structure in the team's defensive strategies.

It is about stopping kids from accepting that being a zombie and filling a spot with your hands up to intimidate your opponents, who are also still learning the basics of the game, isn't going to help anyone in the long term...

Reply #431750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually 431700, it started because coaches are putting their egos before player development, and are chasing cheap U12 wins, by playing a stagnant, non-moving zone.
How about showing a little bit of class, and instead of making a personal attack on someone who's motives you've made a gross, and incorrect assumption on, and quite clearly know nothing about, being grateful that someone is putting the players first.
I saw multiple games last night where the biggest kid on the court was instructed to protect the 'charge circle'. They never moved. No way known is that developing the players.
Before assuming half her club plays zone, I'd suggest checking your own backyard first.

Reply #431756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can see some panic here from muppet coaches who zone in younger age groups and cannot develop players!

Reply #431871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

only a moron would try to link zone defence to not developing juniors. If your a bad coach it doesnt matter what rules are in place.

Reply #431891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And if you zone in U/12s you are a bad coach.

Reply #431905 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Have read all the Posts and everyone has good arguements. Have coached in VJBL for 10+ years - and lets all remember - most of the coaches out there are volunteers! Some of these may only know how to teach/know Zone! How do you help the less experienced coaches teach m2m basics? I think just putting in a rule will not be the answer! The more experienced coaches will work a way around it - put the 2 big kids low and switch the down cutters and screeners!The next issue is patrolling? Having the refs do it will just cause major fractions - the last thing we want is to put more pressure on developing refs which may lead to coach and parent confrontations!
I agree that for the developement of players - zones in under 12's should be banned - but a better solution needs to be found! Maybe the answer is Club based - have BV inform each association to nominate a Zone buster for U12 games - BV fixture all U12 games within 2 timeslots at venues - Refs are made aware of this person and if they believe zone is being played - they have the Zone Buster watch as per Under 14 Nationals? Means another resource and more work when fixturing but keeps it simple. Maybe up cost of score sheets at venues to pay these people! Maybe people should use this to put up ideas to imrove our game rather than shoot other people down and voise negative ideas! Lets remember why we are all here??

Reply #431913 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:08 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754