NotJack
Years ago

CABL Finals - Round 1

Well the business end of the season is upon us, and it is time to find out who the real contenders for the title this season are. Like usual I will do a 'by the numbers' analysis, and hope that Jack Toft can provide his usual quality write ups as well.

Women's

Qualifying Final

Sturt (2nd 13-5) v North (3rd 13-5) @ Pasadena

Previous Results - North 61 def by Sturt 65 & Sturt 62 def North 50.

The game decided for these two teams lies in distribution, contribution and defense. During their last two meetings, Sturt have had a combined 7 players in double figures, yet North have only had 2. For the season both teams average 3 players in double figure scoring.

Sturt have shot the ball at 38.8% for the season making 469 of 1208 attempts, where as North have made 512 of 1278 attempts which is good enough for 40.1%. Yet when North play Sturt they have shot 43 from 140 which is 10% lower for a 30.7% clip. Sturt have shot 47 of 131 which equates to a 35.9% clip.

The rest of the stats are so very close for their match ups except for distribution - in form of assists. Rebounds are equal at 81 a piece with North edging the O boards by 3. Sturt have the edge on turnovers with 33 to 31. North are just in front on Steals 18 to 15. Sturt again are in front for free throw attempts 40-38. The only differentiating stat is assists, Sturt leading the way with 34 assists to 18.

Norths leading scorer and star player Jo Hill, has season averages of 18ppg, 9.9rpg and 3spg, which places her 3rd in the league for scoring, 5th for rebounding, and 3rd for steals. However versus Sturt her output dips to 11.5ppg at 13% lower than her season average, this is to go with only 6rpg, and 1.5spg. It must be noted though, that Hill did only play 16 minutes in their Round 12 encounter.

Norths other player of their star duo, is Jamie-Lee Peris. Season averages of 12.3ppg at 55% and 10.2rpg, sees her good enough for 3rd in rebounding and shots blocked, however also 5th most turnovers in the league. Versus Sturt Peris contribution also dips, averaging only 8.5ppg at 40%, 7.5rpg, and 4.5 turnovers per game - higher that her season average.

Sturt has been led this season by Amy Shaw 11.3ppg and 6.8rpg, Molly Lewis 10.8ppg and 6.7rpg and Hannah Bowley 12.8ppg and 5.8rpg. Not one Sturt players features in leading scoring, rebounding or assists, which indicates a true team game and effort. Shaws output v North is 8ppg and 10.5rpg, Lewis is 9ppg and 6.5rpg, and Bowley is 11.5ppg and 4.5rpg. Like North all of the star players performance dips compared to their season averages, which is expected against another contending team.

So my keys to this game are Norths ability to move the balls, and find better scoring options than previous match ups, and Sturts ability to shoot the ball at an improved clip. Both teams benches, and starting 5 role players, are so pivotal to the result. For North, they need the offensive contribution of the leagues 2nd best 3pt shooter in Shannon McKay, and proven offensive threat Genna Anderson - last season she had 12 games in double figures, including a 36 point outing. For Sturt it lies with Hannah Richards who is capable for averaging double doubles every game, and Aneeka Smith who is also a valuable contributor at both ends of the floor.

My tip is for Sturt to win by 10.

Elimination Final

Forestville (4th 12-6) v Eastern (5th 11-7) @ Wayville

Previous Results - Forestville 62 def Eastern 59 and Eastern 52 def by Forestville 71.

First time round, the Eagles won by shooting the 3ball better - 8/17 v 5/20. Second time round, the Eagles won by Tess Madgen not playing.

Over the two games, Eastern shot 42/135 for 31% clip, this compares to a season average of 36.9%, Forestville shot 37.9% for the season, against the Mavs they shot 52/138 37.7%. Forestville have had 3 players averaging double figures this season, being Jess Fergus with 13.9ppg, Olivia Thompson 16.2ppg and 11.5rpg and Mia Newley 13.2ppg and 10.1rpg. Versus Eastern, Fergus output remains her consistent self, Thompsons output drops from 16.2ppg to 12ppg - due to the Round 7 clash where Madgen held her to 7. Newley only played the one game, which saw her drop 14 and 14.

Eastern have 4 contributors in double figure averages for the season, with Alex Wilson 13.5ppg and 8rpg, Jemma Thacker with 11.6ppg, Shannon Tarran 14.2ppg and 8.1rpg, and Tess Madgen with 31ppg, 12rpg, and 7.5apg. Against the Eagles, Madgens output dropped to 25ppg and 7rpg, Tarran dropped to 6.5ppg and 4.5rpg, Thacker 8ppg and 5.5rpg (however she only played 7 minutes in round 7), and Wilson has not suited against the Eagles.

It is hard to draw any meaningful stat match up considerations due to the variety of line ups that each team will suit coming into this game. Wilson missed both games, Madgen missed one, and Newley missed one.

The key match ups for this game have to be, Madgen on Thompson. Fergus on Madgen. And the mismatches of Newley and Wilson. What is the best part about having Tess Madgen on your team, the scoring? the rebounds? the leadership? Or the way she attracts the defense to her and opens up so many options. Without Madgen, Eastern dont look great, and with an injury cloud hanging over head, they must be nervous up in the hills.

My tip is - Eastern to win by 5. Madgen to be healthy, and the Eagles unable to contain her and Wilson. The Eagles have not been playing as good as their list suggests, and although they have the experience of finals Basketball, they wont go any further. Sharon to ride the referees all the way to Villi's in the hope of drawing fouls on Madgen, and Fergus to have a sore backside from trying to draw offensive fouls.

Men's

Qualifying Final

Woodville (2nd 15-3) v Forestville (3rd 12-6)

Previous games results - Woodville 83 def Forestville 67 and Forestville 75 def by Woodville 81.

What a difference the National League players make. With Gibson due to play in Auckland on Wednesday night, makes this a difficult prospect for someone who is not, on the inside. Im sure both teams know if he is suiting, and have made adjustments either way.

The first two meetings saw the Warriors go 2 from 2, in reasonably convincing fashion. Only losing 1 quater during each game, and exposing the Eagles defensively in both games. The Warriors shot 63/138 for 45.7% whilst holding the Eagles to 53/145 for 36.6%. The Warriors also hold a massive edge on rebounding with 90 to 53. The Warriors have gone a season 534 from 1262 for 42.3% versus the Eagles 558 from 1234 for 45.2%, which shows that the Warriors match up well defensively versus the Eagles.

This is shown in the output of Forestvilles star pairing of Jake Rios 21.8ppg - 2nd leading scorer in the league, and Adam Doyle 19ppg and 4apg - 5th leading scorer. However versus Woodville Doyle averages on 17.5ppg and Rios averages 14.5 (only played 7 minutes during Round 8 clash). The inclusion of Mottram for the Round 17 clash saw him drop 12 points, which is 5ppg above his season average.

Woodvilles stud pairing of Darren Ng 19.8ppg at 38.2% good enough for 4th leading scorer, and Aaron Wyatt also at 19.8ppg but at 45.5% sees him take out 3rd place. Against Forestville, Ng's output lifted to 22.5ppg at 41.6% however Wyatts dropped 15ppg at 47.8%.

And then comes the Gibson factor. Gibson was good for 17.4ppg, 6.6rpg and 7.9apg. Doyles number do suffer, but the Eagles ball movement and spacing becomes much better with him on the floor.

The key to this game is reliant on the Rios v Wyatt match up and the output of Ng and Doyle. Rios stats do not lend themselves to being team orientated, averaging a dismal 1.9apg, and against Woodville, Rios did not rebound the ball once, did not throw one dime, and registered 3 fouls. Wyatt on the other hand pulled 7 boards and registered 5 assists. You then have the Doctor and Doyle. Ng is the best pure shooter alot of us have ever seen at CABL level, and Doyle is the best point in the league. In the back half of the season Ng has averaged 23.4ppg. Before Gibson arrived on the scene Doyle was averaging 21.2ppg.

My tip is an upset, going against the form guide, for the Eagles to get the W by single digits. If Gibbo plays, by double digits. Too much experience in pressure sitations of recent times. The Doctor and Wyatt to drop buckets of buckets, but the Eagles to find some form.

Elimination Final

Centrals (4th 11-7) v North (10th 10-8)

Previous games results - Centrals 63 def by North 65 and North 68 def by Centrals 75

Welcome back to the finals for Centrals, the first time since 1991.

With both teams taking a game, lets have a look at the stats behind their encounters and season so far. First time round Petrie did play for North in Round 8, and they won by 2, in Round 17 Petrie did play and they lost by 7. This isnt to say that Petrie is bad for the Rockets, but perhaps the Lions prefer the match up. Round 8 it took a massive fourth quater effort by the rockets outscoring the lions 23-9, to just win by 2. In Round 17 the lions outscored the rockets 23-11 in the fourth to win by 7.

The rockets were led this year by Petrie 19.5ppg and 13.8rpg, Vasiljevic 18.1ppg and 10.3rpg and Franceschinis 12.6ppg. Petrie had similar output in their two meetings, however pulled 21 boards in their Round 17 clash. Pero maintained his consistent output, however in Norths win Franceschini did not play, but in their loss her had 4 and 4.

Centrals have been led by the increasingly streaky Kyle Miller 16.8ppg, and the reliable Christopher Clausen 17.4ppg and 9rpg. Against the rockets Clausen averaged 18.5ppg and 7rpg, and Miller averaged 18ppg and 5.5rpg.

Kyle Miller has lost significant touch this Season, perhaps affected by the inclusion of Clausen, Millers production has dipped from last season (22.9ppg @ 40.% v 16.8ppg 36.8%) and he is only shooting 13.3ppg at 46/143 for 32%.

The stats for these two teams is close, with Centrals leading the rebounds 86 to 84, North have a comfortable lead with assists with 41 to 26, Centrals in front on Turnovers 22 to 27.

The key to this game lies in Millers output, and Centrals ability to move the ball and space the floor. They have the veteran guards in Frost and Atkins, and require Atkins to make the 3 ball, and Frost to play his style of dirty hustle D, and space the floor for Clausen to work. For North it has to be about attacking the paint, and wearing down Clausen defensively. When you match up the benches, and role players, Centrals are in front, with the mix of experience, and skillful youth off the bench. Rowe and Wernham are so important to Norths chances, and must play well, to support Petrie and Pero.

My tip is Centrals, by 7. Through experience, hustle D, and Kyle Miller finding his Mojo. He needs to take his shooters mentality into the game. Remove their Round 15 home game Miller was averaging 18.4ppg at home, almost 5ppg better than on the road.

Topic #32343 | Report this topic

NotJack  
Years ago

Few edits here:

First time round Petrie did not play for North in Round 8, and they won by 2, in Round 17 Petrie did play and they lost by 7.

Kyle Miller has lost significant touch this Season, perhaps affected by the inclusion of Clausen, Millers production has dipped from last season (22.9ppg @ 40.% v 16.8ppg 36.8%) and he is only shooting 13.3ppg at 46/143 for 32% - for the back half of the season.

Reply #431385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good write up again

Reply #431390 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Good one. You beat me to it (computer says no)

My take. .

It's finals time and I am more pumped than Angelina Jolie's lips.
Women's
Elimination: Forestville v Eastern
Eagles with the form going into this one. The Mavs are without their Opal gem and don't have the answer for OT, therefore the game won't go into OT. Bye, bye Mavettes

Qualifying; Sturt v North
Barry the big bad wolf brings his Rockettes to Pasadena. Is their house made of straw, sticks, bricks, or Monz's Vegemite scrolls? North travel well and have only lost to Sturt and Norwood on the road. Sturt shooting is a strength and have played games where they put up less shots, but still win. Hopefully Monz is nice enough to cook a tart for the losers.

As for Norwood, enjoy the week off, but I expect you'll be in the Pasadena bleaches.

Men's
Elimination: Centrals v North.
Scotty Whitmore is still excited and can someone confirm rumours he has painted half his face blue for the pre game speech. North will notice the slender steel poles at Starplex, they're not an architectural feature, that's where Centrals will be looking to place some heads. Centrals with a fairy tale to fulfill should be like highlanders against the English army.

Qualifying: Woodville v Forestville
Set your VCR to record, this game will be worth every cent. Forestville have cracked more tons than any other team, but Woodville have a destiny to fill and while Forestville might lift their bat, Woodville should lift the roof with a fierce home crowd. Warriors to have first crack at West.

And what of West? They get the week off. I assume the scouts will be out, then back to Belly's man cave for pizza and Xbox.

Reply #431394 | Report this post

NotJack  
Years ago

Was unsure as to Madgens availability! Too late to change my tip?? God I have more regret than a flock of girls doing the walk of shame from the Vic the next morning.

Eagles to win.

Reply #431396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" Kyle Miller finding his Mojo. He needs to take his shooters mentality into the game."

You mean he has another approach to playing basketball? Not sure too many teams would be worried about Centrals shooters when they seldom receive it!!

Reply #431397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Madgen definitely not playing??

Reply #431398 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

The final Opals training camp ahead of the 2013 FIBA Oceania Championships runs from 7-12 August at the Basketball Australia National Centre of Excellence in Canberra.

Tess Madgen in attendance at this so I would figure she will not be playing think this commitement might be a touch more important to her.

Reply #431417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And the Mavs season is a joke! Woodville would put up a better fight

Reply #431428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know Gibson and Petrie are away on Boomers camp but does anyone know if they do actually qualify to play finals or not?

Reply #431592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes they have

Reply #431595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cool, anyone know if they are playing or not?

Reply #431596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I recall reading that the AUG Beyond regulation was released stating that they hadn't then it got pulled? no mention of it in the new "revised" issue can anyone confirm this?

More behind closed doors dealings by the faceless men?

Reply #431601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mavs won against Woodville without Tess and Bycroft

silly comment above

Reply #431604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can confirm that, I was the one that posted that the article stated they hadn't qualified. I was surprised as I was guessing that they had. New article is basically the same, they have just ommitted the finals predictions that they had in there.

Reply #431607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They obviously got it wrong as the Finals Preview on the cabl website indicates that they are playing. Should make the games very interesting.

Reply #431611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How have Gibson and Petrie q for finals? They haven't played the games needed. Sure there is the higher level game thing but they have been at a camp not playing. Bit sus to me. Any other team and they wouldn't be playing but forrestville alway find a way to cheat the system

Reply #431658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon 431397
Your comment " You mean he has another approach to playing basketball? Not sure too many teams would be worried about Centrals shooters when they seldom receive it!!"

Funny that Kyle Miller led the league in assists !....you goose !.
Dont let the facts get in the way of a good story

Reply #431664 | Report this post

NotJack  
Years ago

The Madgenless Mavs went down to the Eagles by 18, despite the game being tied at the start of the fourth. Wilson did her best, but was outdone by the duo of Thompson and Newley.

The Eagles will face the Rockets, after Sturt continued their recent form. Sturt were supported by a swag of players, in their usual team game. Richards, Shaw, McPhail and Bowley their best. North struggled from the field again, Hill the only player in double figures, and the team shooting at 33%.

Reply #431752 | Report this post

NotJack  
Years ago

Edit - Sturt won by 22

Reply #431753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Centrals out of the blocks, and had North on the ropes. North struck back and looked every bit the seasoned campaigner Centrals like rabbits in the headlights. Tussle between Pero & centrals player on the half time siren. Centrals mid way through third quarter regained their mojo and ran out worthy winners. congrats to both teams for an entertaining game

Reply #431765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mavs Women put up a brave fight for 3 qtr's, Wilson quite dynamic for Mavs (23pts, 15rbs & 6assts!) pity she had to do it alone for most of the game. Mavs biggest player & biggest player on the court plays more of a perimeter game & gravitates outside to shoot far too many jumpshots for my liking!

Reply #431778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wilson best Townsville Fire player on court last night Vs FVille easily...

Reply #431786 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I was surprised at the gap with the Woodville-Forestville result. It was one that could have gone either way, but Forestville 56% FG% and 50% 3G% was exceptional. Ng was the standout for the Warriors, but he can't do it all himself.

Centrals caught napping in the second quarter, but in a scary situation you don't wear the brown jocks for nothing and came back hard to secure a 100% finals win rate. Surely the Warriors won't have a shocker next week and let the Lions steal second base on their way around the diamond.

Similarly the Sturt-North game. Sturt shooting the difference, similar box scores, but Sturt a few more strategic fouls, more pressure and more assists. Should be a beauty next week against Flames. Smart teams win basketball games and Sturt have a PhD in cunning.

Mavs right in it up to the last quarter, but shot themselves out of it. Forestville with some soul searching this week if they think they can make if to the GF.

Reply #431797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forestville jumped Woodville right from the start and the Warriors could just not close the gap. Eagles shooting percentage blew the game away in the second half. Gibson wasn't there either.

Reply #431877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In the women this week north to put forestville out
Nwd to beat Sturt but to meet them again in the grand final

in the men forestville to beat west and woodville to end centrals dream. eagles warriors grand final for mine

Reply #431906 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

I disagree. I believe that Forrestville will put North out, especially if North play like they did against Sturt.

Reply #431923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is it that North v F/Ville is scheduled for 8:15 and that West v F/Ville is scheduled for 6:30. Seems back to front to me.

Reply #431928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mars game is at 6.30 they can then go to Hillcrest to watch the other game - Mars and Hillcrest being close together

same with st clair - port one game early can go watch the second game.

Reply #431954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But surely the home team should get what they prefer!!

Reply #431955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about thinking what the clubs want to satisfy sponsors and their own supporters

Reply #431956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

clubs choose fools

Reply #431957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No they don't. Decided by BSA

Reply #432001 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:45 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754